PDA

View Full Version : Riding with the girls...

chirokid
August 20th 03, 03:46 AM
Had a great time Uni riding with two of my daughters tonight. As soon
as I got home from work, my 8 year old asked if I would go ride
unicycles with her? What a question? I love riding Unis with my
daughters. I quickly changed clothes, and off we went.

The three of us started by riding hand, in hand, in hand, for 1/3 mile.
There is a new family in our neighborhood. They happened to be standing
outside their house and they just stared the whole time as we rode by.
We yelled "Hello", just like we were nothing out of the ordinary.

Next, we watched each other trying to ride up a steep concrete driveway.
My oldest (11 years old), was really pushing hard and went right off
the front of her uni, down to her knees. She got a nice little bloody
scuff on her knee from that UPD.

Then the girls practiced idling for a few minutes. My 8 year old ran
home and grabbed one of her twirling batons. It was so cool watching
her ride around and twirl. She even started throwing the baton up in
the air and catching it, all while riding. I'm such a proud daddy.
They then practiced free mounting, and a little backward riding (with my
hand for support).

But the two things that amazed me most are these: First, both girls
practiced hopping (first time ever, but with me holding one hand). The
were getting 3 or 4 inches off the ground, hopping 5 to 8 times in a
row. Then, most amazing, was watching as they both rode their unis to
our house. We have to ride (they always walk 90% of the way) across two
back yards to get to our house. They both rode the whole distance
without a UPD, I am so proud.

It was a super great time riding with my girls tonight. Right now, they
are fast asleep, hopefully dreaming about riding Unis with their Daddy
tomorrow. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

paco
August 20th 03, 04:35 AM
That's great! I'm very happy for you.
You know, pretty soon they'll be riding circles around you. Wait until
they are ready for 10 mile trips, and you're getting tired at 5
(reference to another thread).
They say that the happiest day is when the pupil surpasses the master.
Does the same apply to your unicycling daughters?

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

chirokid
August 20th 03, 04:44 AM
paco wrote:
> *pretty soon they'll be riding circles around you.
>
> They say that the happiest day is when the pupil surpasses the master.
> Does the same apply to your unicycling daughters? *

I tell them that all the time. We watch UNIversaL and I tell them how
quickly they will pass my skill levels.

And yes, that saying DEFINiTELY applies to my unicycling daughters. :D
--chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Borges
August 20th 03, 07:16 AM
I hope my kids will take an interest in unicycling too.
The other day my daughter wanted to try my unicycle. She stood on the
pedals holding on to the seat post while I held the seat.
She's not yet 2 years old and just recently managed riding a tricycle,
so unicycling will have to wait a while (at the very least until she can
reach the pedals in bottom position :)).
Still, she did want to try, and that must be a good sign, right?

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Sarah Miller
August 20th 03, 08:53 PM
Mark Wiggins > wrote:
> My 6 year old has just sussed that if she can
> ride a unicycle, she gets to go to unicycle conventions with daddy.
> Damn, I'm going to have to go out unicycling with my daughter *and* take
> her to conventions. ;-)

I wondered how long it would be before she got in on the act, I hope she
enjoys her second BMW sometime even if she doesn't remember her first.

Sarah

--
Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders

James
August 20th 03, 11:48 PM
Ok looks like i need to start spawning so i can teach my kids to
unicycle...some people don't think i would make a good father, but thats
only because i wont let them out of there cage unless its to eat there
one meal a day of bread (no butter) and water...

I wouldn't be that bad a father would I?

--
James
James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4185

Mandell
August 21st 03, 06:30 AM
Both of my boys (4 and 6) have informed me that they want unicycles for
future birthdays. The 6 year old wants one for his 8th birthday (he
wants a skateboard for the 7th) and the 4 year old wants one for his 7th
birthday (he is having trouble with the two wheeler for now and doesn't
think he will want a unicycle sooner).

I can't wait.:D

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner