PDA

View Full Version : Pecking Vs. Chipping

jagur
August 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/27327
Question: which do you like.

- Pecking
- Chipping

lately the word chipping has been thrown around to describe hopping up
somthing sideways.I allways new this as Pecking,named so after George
Peck.

unless there is some guy named Chip out there that i dont know
about,then i say Pecking is a better choice since it adds legend and
history in this sport.

never the less,its poll time.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

zod
August 22nd 03, 08:16 PM
Never heard of pecking, I have always said chipping....

Might be a regional type thingy.....

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

JJuggle
August 22nd 03, 08:30 PM
Always a fan of eponymy, I vote for "pecking", even though by either
name I can't do it. :)

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I should have liked to see Montana.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

scot
August 22nd 03, 09:59 PM
Respectfully, it is "PECKING".

I first heard this term while attending my first Calif. MUni Weekend in
1997 to describe something I'd never seen done before. Later I saw
George's "Rough Terrain Unicycling" video and it was explained in
detail. At the time, he was DA MAN and still is in my eyes somewhat of
the grandfather of this sport Pashley Bicycles coined MUni. No offense
to Mr. Peck's age. He still rocks in his sixties. We should all be so
lucky. As awesome as KH is, George still gives me hope that I'll be
rocking into my later years.

I believe "chipping" is something I heard used by the UK folks later.
You say tomato, I say Pecking.

--
scot - unitourist

"Make everything as simple as possible,but not simpler."
-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

daino149
August 22nd 03, 11:24 PM
I've always known it as Pecking, but I had no idea it had to do with
George.

Live and Learn
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Mikefule
August 23rd 03, 12:16 AM
My computer doesn't interact with polls. However, I've heard of
Pecking, which is connected with george peck, and also has the
connotation of 'pecking' away at the slope in a series of small sharp
bounces.

I've never heard of chipping except in the sense of Chipping Norton and
Chipping Sodbury, neither of which has a big connection with
unicycling.

Two other techniques: the 'roll', which is a way of crossing terrain by
using the circularity of the wheel to maintain a smooth forward
movement, and the 'faceplant', named after George W. Faceplant, of
Arkansas, one of the less successful pioneers of MUni.

Early Pashley off roaders were called UMX. I still have one.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we
fall."
Confucius

jagur
August 23rd 03, 04:22 AM
nathan wrote:
> *Where/what in the world does the word "chipping" come from in this
> context? At least there is a reason to use "pecking", besides the six
> years of history.*
i first saw it 'here.' (http://tinyurl.com/kx2c) maybe its a east coast
thing..its got to be short for "chipping away"

bye the way,ive never Pecked while intoxicated but i have Chipped many
times.(T-shirt alert)

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

teachndad
August 23rd 03, 06:27 PM
I got the term chipping the same place as from Jagur's link and then
mentioned it in the MUni article. I just wasn't aware of the word,
"pecking".

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to
compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to
reach challenging goals. - Sir Edmund Hillary

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

john_childs
August 26th 03, 08:25 PM
I have always called it "Pecking" because of what Scot said.

I also call it "side hopping up a hill" as a more descriptive term. For
example when talking to mountain bikers explaining how I get up steep
slopes I can say "I turn sideways and side hop up the hill similar to
how trials bikers side hop their bikes up slopes".

I have never used, and don't plan on using, the word "chipping".

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Memphis Mud
August 26th 03, 08:53 PM
I think paying homage is definately appropriate.

Heck, if I ever develop some new uni skill that all you folks think is
cool, I want my name on it.

My luck, I'll get the faceplant in Arkansas named after me.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

johnfoss
August 27th 03, 01:03 AM
I think I'm the one that originally promoted "pecking." Not sure if that
started in '96 or '97. But in those days, George Peck was showing us how
it was done, and much of that involved small hops (nobody knew who Kris
Holm was until MUni Weekend '98). So i figured "pecking" would be a nice
way to credit him.

Even though in his 1992 video he reminds us that if the terrain can be
"rolled" instead of hopped, that usually shows better technique and
skill.

Lastly I have to agree with John Childs that "side hopping" or just
"hopping" is the most accurate term. Those should probably used when
speaking to a general audience, while pecking can be reserved for when
we unicyclists are speaking amongst ourselves.

Still curious why the author of the post on muniac.com used "chipping."
Where did that come from? Is it a golf thing?

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home