PDA

View Full Version : Re: The Ultimate Wheel

Ken Fuchs
August 24th 03, 05:48 AM
> >We decided to spray paint the tire yellow (and the wooden disk purple;
> >sorry no camera = no pictures) The spray paint was still a bit sticky,
> >so there was a lot of friction. How much friction is there usually? I was
> >also wearing hospital scrubs, which may also be a big factor.

Zero friction is best, so the wheel doesn't slow down in case one's leg
rubs against the tire or wheel. Some people spray the tire sidewall or
rim (which ever sticks out more) with something that provides lower
friction than the tire or rim by itself.

However, low friction of the tire sidewall or rim is not required, since
it is quite possible (though more difficult) to ride an ultimate wheel
without the legs rubbing the tire sidewall or rim.

> >I read that it is easier if the pedals are very close to the disk. But
> >mine are so close, that my feet, usually my heel, hit the tire as i
> >pedal. I placed the pedals as if there were 5 inch cranks (125mm). Is
> >this normal? Or am i standing on the pedals wrong?

Usually, the pedals are placed as close to the plane of the wheel as
possible to reduce the so called Q factor. However, it is also possible
to simply remove a wheel from a standard unicycle and ride it as an
ultimate wheel. This will place the legs further from the wheel, so for
that reason alone, the legs rubbing the tire sidewall or rim would be
less likely. However, the larger Q factor may cause more "leg rubbing".

Pedals set at 125mm from the center of the disk should work just fine.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs >

Jack Halpern
August 24th 03, 04:02 PM
Greetings

In message "The Ultimate Wheel",
DasDingus wrote...

>Well, i finally built my ultimate wheel, with the help of my friends. I
>tried riding it for an hour, and got some progress. I have a few
>questions though.
>

>How much easier is it with a larger wheel? I have a 20" so is there more
>wobbling with a smaller wheel?

It is much harder with a smaller wheeler. I recommend at least 24, possibly 26.
You have much less control with smaller wheels (unless you are a child).

>We decided to spray paint the tire yellow (and the wooden disk purple;
>sorry no camera = no pictures) The spray paint was still a bit sticky,
>so there was alot of friction. How much friction is there usually? I was
>also wearing hospital scrubs, which may also be a big factor.
>

>I read that it is easier if the pedals are very close to the disk. But
>mine are so close, that my feet, usually my heel, hit the tire as i
>pedal. I placed the pedals as if there were 5 inch cranks (125mm). Is
>this normal? Or am i standing on the pedals wrong?
>

>Thanks for your help.
>

>--
>DasDingus - Poor Unicyclist
>
>That's where I saw the leprechaun!
>
>He told me to burn things!

Regards, Jack Halpern
President, The CJK Dictionary Institute, Inc.
http://www.cjk.org Phone: +81-48-473-3508

Borges
August 25th 03, 06:25 AM
chirokid wrote:
> *Where can I find PLANS to build an Ultimate Wheel?
>
> Thanks in advance. --chirokid-- *

'Here' (http://members.tripod.com/~igfs/myownuw.HTM) is a link.

It worked fine for me, but it is easier if you get the
'inserts from unicycle.com' (http://tinyurl.com/l2u7)

If you're using a wheel larger than 24" I recomend you lighten it a
little by cutting some holes in the plywood (eg. in the shape of really
big spokes)

Good luck

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

treepotato
August 25th 03, 07:48 AM
with the help of my friends Beatles song ;) and a good one

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home