PDA

View Full Version : Re: Crank lengths for a 28-29"?

onewheeldave
August 25th 03, 02:09 AM
I'm currently using 125mm on my 29-er, I'm getting pretty comfortable on
them and find that I can ride up the hills of Sheffield as well as do a
little off road stuff.

Mike Fule uses shorter ones, 110's I believe.

I can reccomend getting a 29" tyre, I'd completely stopped used my
28"-er till I got the big tyre, since then I've ridden it every day;
it's a lot more comfortable and copes better with curbs/bumps.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

m_extreme_uni
August 25th 03, 03:07 AM
I ride my 700c/28" wheel with 102s, generally, or if the road is
relatively flat, i'll use 90s. I find the 102s to be amazing on hills,
and that they have plenty of control, and the 90s are also good. but if
it's hilly i ride with the 102s. I was going to be using 127s for super
hilly rides, but i find i d'ont need them. This is just what has worked
for me.

You'll have to experiment, but definately smaller than 140s.

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

onewheeldave
August 25th 03, 03:53 AM
m_extreme_uni wrote:
> *I ride my 700c/28" wheel with 102s, generally, or if the road is
> relatively flat, i'll use 90s. I find the 102s to be amazing on hills,
> and that they have plenty of control, and the 90s are also good. but
> if it's hilly i ride with the 102s. I was going to be using 127s for
> super hilly rides, but i find i d'ont need them. This is just what has
> worked for me.
>
> You'll have to experiment, but definately smaller than 140s.
>
> -Ryan *

Did you start longer and work down to the 102s, or are they what came
with the uni?

How long did it take to get used to them?

I'm getting tempted to get some shorter cranks than my 125s.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

jagur
August 25th 03, 08:28 AM
im (finally) useing 145's on a WTB MotoRapter equiped 29er.

my uni is geared more for cruzing on less crazy 24x3 type trials but it
can keep up on the pave'

most folks seem to have gone for the 29 size for distance on pavement.i
once had a 29 with 102's but it would skip out from underneath me on
fast appoaching cranks in the asphalt.they were fast but dont let your
guard down (cell phone free or UPD never happend to me.)

102's are not good for lots or mounts and remounts like city traffic.go
for 110's,i have some.i didnt sell those.....

they are fast though,and you look like Tinkerbell when you hit
Hi-Rpm's......

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

Mikefule
August 25th 03, 11:11 AM
I bought my 28 with the 110s fitted. I was immediately able to mount
and idle it. I find 110s a good compromise for speed and distance, and
a little bit of light cross country.

125s are painfully slow, and make the 28 even more like 'just a big
24'.

I tried 102s but only briefly. I like them on my 24, but on the 28, the
extra concentration needed, the increased stopping distance, and the
general twitchiness meant I preferred the 110s and put them back on.
102s are rideable, but I like my 28 optimised for road use, and safety
is the prime consideration there.

I own some 89s. On the 24, they were fun, but not noticeably faster
than the 102s. I wouldn't put them on the 28 except to experiment with
top speeds on the flat.

As for 150s and 140s - except in the special case of very small wheels,
where pedal strike is a consideration, I can't see there is any
significant difference. About 7% is probably barely detectable by a
normal rider in normal conditions.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we
fall."
Confucius

m_extreme_uni
August 25th 03, 04:56 PM
I bought the uni with 102s, and it took no time to get used to them. I
really like them, and wouldn't ride anything longer on road.

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home