PDA

View Full Version : Nasty crash

John Staines
July 2nd 03, 02:38 AM
I've just read that Henke Vogels has had a terrible crash and is in a
serious condition. Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death.

He was clocked at 109km an hour just before he hit the barrier. It
looked so bad that other cyclists stopped racing because they thought he
had died.

Bloody terrible news

roofi
July 2nd 03, 03:09 AM
"Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death."

Oh no, the anti-helmet Nazis are going to swarm around you now.........

roofi
July 2nd 03, 03:09 AM
"Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death."

Oh no, the anti-helmet Nazis are going to swarm around you now.........

Twisties
July 2nd 03, 05:40 AM
Australian cyclist Henk Vogels is in hospital with a fractured vertebrae
and broken ankle after crashing during the Fitchburg three-day tour in
Massachusetts.

His father, Henk Senior, said the 29-year-old West Australian was in a
stable condition but was in traction until the break in his spine had
been assessed.

"He clipped a wheel and hit a guard rail at 108km per hour," he said.

Vogels' ankle was broken in three places and he also suffered head
injuries in the crash on Saturday.

He is being treated at the University of Massachusetts Memorial
Hospital.

"But the signs are good. It's only 48 hours after the event and it's not
a life or death situation," his father said.

He said the seriousness of his son's spinal injury should be known on
Wednesday.

Vogels has competed at five world road championships, the
Commonwealth Games, on the Tour de France and was 1997 Australian
Cyclist of the Year.

--
SPECIALIZED
BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.

[...]

Andrew Swan
July 2nd 03, 10:30 AM
> SPECIALIZED
> BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
> When we say BigHit we mean it.

Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

Andrew Swan
July 2nd 03, 10:30 AM
> SPECIALIZED
> BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
> When we say BigHit we mean it.

Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

John Staines
July 4th 03, 01:59 AM
Easy, you go down a hill. I've clocked up 77km an hour and I don't even
have that good a bike and also I was slowing myself down.

During the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under the riders were clocked, with a
speed gun, going down Checkers Hill Road at 100km +

Cheers

John

Michael Stern wrote:

> how do you go 110km on a bike?
>
> "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> > > SPECIALIZED
> > > BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
> > > When we say BigHit we mean it.
> >
> > Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

Twisties
July 4th 03, 08:10 AM
did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au (sydney
morning herald)

how do you go 110 on a bike? you pedel rreeaall fast!

--
SPECIALIZED
BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
When we say BigHit we mean it.

Twisties
July 4th 03, 08:10 AM
did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au (sydney
morning herald)

how do you go 110 on a bike? you pedel rreeaall fast!

--
SPECIALIZED
BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
When we say BigHit we mean it.

Richard Sherratt
July 4th 03, 08:45 AM
On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:30:43 +1000, "Michael Stern" >
wrote:

>how do you go 110km on a bike?

Easy. Just go for 1km and then repeat it 109 times. 110km is not a
long ride.

If you meant 110 km/h, then that's a bit more difficult. The easiest
way is to find a hill. Henk Vogels was clocked on police radar at 108
or 109 km/h just before he crashed a few days ago. He was probably
taking a breather, so 110 would have been possible.

Another way is to ride behind a motor vehicle. A well known
professional rider was alleged to have ridden between Geelong and
Ballarat behind a van at an average of 85km/h last year. He was
alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
treasured. This is, of course, a totally unsubstantiated urban legend.
After all, that road has a limit of 100 km/h and no cyclist would ever
dream of breaking the speed limit, would they? :-)

Regards,
Richard.

wrote:

>how do you go 110km on a bike?

Easy. Just go for 1km and then repeat it 109 times. 110km is not a
long ride.

If you meant 110 km/h, then that's a bit more difficult. The easiest
way is to find a hill. Henk Vogels was clocked on police radar at 108
or 109 km/h just before he crashed a few days ago. He was probably
taking a breather, so 110 would have been possible.

Another way is to ride behind a motor vehicle. A well known
professional rider was alleged to have ridden between Geelong and
Ballarat behind a van at an average of 85km/h last year. He was
alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
treasured. This is, of course, a totally unsubstantiated urban legend.
After all, that road has a limit of 100 km/h and no cyclist would ever
dream of breaking the speed limit, would they? :-)

Regards,
Richard.

Andrew Swan
July 4th 03, 10:08 AM
Twisties wrote:
> did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au (sydney
> morning herald)

<snip>
> --
> SPECIALIZED
> BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
> When we say BigHit we mean it.

I wasn't talking about the Henk Vogels story, I meant your perplexing
signature block (above). :-)

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 4th 03, 10:08 AM
Twisties wrote:
> did i find that on engrish? no, i think it was on www.smh.com.au (sydney
> morning herald)

<snip>
> --
> SPECIALIZED
> BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
> When we say BigHit we mean it.

I wasn't talking about the Henk Vogels story, I meant your perplexing
signature block (above). :-)

&roo

Jim Stevens
July 4th 03, 03:18 PM
Bloody hell its not been a good week for West Australians, John Waddell has
also crashed during the Canadian round of the downhill world cup and still
remains unconscious after 4 days.

Think I'll stay home this weekend...................

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> I've just read that Henke Vogels has had a terrible crash and is in a
> serious condition. Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death.
>
> He was clocked at 109km an hour just before he hit the barrier. It
> looked so bad that other cyclists stopped racing because they thought he
> had died.
>
> Bloody terrible news

Jim Stevens
July 4th 03, 03:18 PM
Bloody hell its not been a good week for West Australians, John Waddell has
also crashed during the Canadian round of the downhill world cup and still
remains unconscious after 4 days.

Think I'll stay home this weekend...................

"John Staines" > wrote in message
> I've just read that Henke Vogels has had a terrible crash and is in a
> serious condition. Apparently his helmet saved him from certain death.
>
> He was clocked at 109km an hour just before he hit the barrier. It
> looked so bad that other cyclists stopped racing because they thought he
> had died.
>
> Bloody terrible news

Luther Blissett
July 4th 03, 04:44 PM
Richard Sherratt wrote:

**snip**
> He was
> alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
> when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
> treasured.

Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
at the car next to/behind me! :)

- LB

Luther Blissett
July 4th 03, 04:44 PM
Richard Sherratt wrote:

**snip**
> He was
> alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
> when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
> treasured.

Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
at the car next to/behind me! :)

- LB

John Doe
July 5th 03, 04:39 AM
I have a pretty ordinary bike and I have hit 85km's an hour. If the hill
was longer I may have well have gone faster. Problem is t intersection.
There are a few roads I can hit 80+. If you were on a high performance
bike and no headwind or even better a tail wind then it is possible to hit
110.

:
: During the Jacobs Creek Tour Down Under the riders were clocked, with a
: speed gun, going down Checkers Hill Road at 100km +
:
: Cheers
:
: John
:
:
:
: Michael Stern wrote:
: >
: > how do you go 110km on a bike?
: >
: > "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > > > SPECIALIZED
: > > > BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
: > > > When we say BigHit we mean it.
: > >
[...]

: Michael Stern wrote:
: >
: > how do you go 110km on a bike?
: >
: > "Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > > > SPECIALIZED
: > > > BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
: > > > When we say BigHit we mean it.
: > >
: > > Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

John Doe
July 5th 03, 04:40 AM
"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
: Richard Sherratt wrote:
:
: **snip**
: > He was
: > alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
: > when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
: > treasured.
:
: Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
: at the car next to/behind me! :)
:
: - LB
:

Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

John Doe
July 5th 03, 04:40 AM
"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
: Richard Sherratt wrote:
:
: **snip**
: > He was
: > alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
: > when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
: > treasured.
:
: Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
: at the car next to/behind me! :)
:
: - LB
:

Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

Ray Peace
July 5th 03, 06:50 AM
Hi there,
I have overtaken cars on a number of hills, notably
Wheelers Hill, Olivers Hill near Frankston and coming down Mt St
Bernard. It requires care as the drivers are not expecting you to come
up on their right hand side at a higher speed.
Afraid the bingle referred to is a hazard of racing, which is primarily
why I don't do it, race that is. I have had both single bikes and
tandems up to 85 k/mh but do not much like it, your first mistake at
that speed is frequently your last.
Cheers,
Ray.

Luther Blissett wrote:

> Richard Sherratt wrote:
>
> **snip**
>
>> He was
>> alleged to have said that the expression on the face of a car driver,
>> when he was overtaken by a bike doing 110 km/h, was something to be
>> treasured.
>

> Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead,
> not at the car next to/behind me! :)
>
> - LB

Mayhem
July 5th 03, 04:02 PM
wrote:

>how do you go 110km on a bike?

Easy, you hope on ya bike and ride. :-)

>"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
>> > SPECIALIZED
>> > BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.
>> > When we say BigHit we mean it.
>>
>> Eh? Did you find this on http://www.engrish.com ?

July 5th 03, 06:41 PM
John Doe > wrote:

> "Luther Blissett" > wrote in
> message ...
> : Richard Sherratt wrote:
> :
> : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead, not
> : at the car next to/behind me! :)
> :
> : - LB
> :
>
> Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.

I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km.
Too light and the steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to
cars and motorcycles.

GK

John Doe
July 6th 03, 03:38 AM
"g" > wrote in message
: John Doe > wrote:
:
: > "Luther Blissett" > wrote
in
: > message ...
: > : Richard Sherratt wrote:
: > :
: > : Bloody hell. If I was doing 110km/h, I'd be looking straight ahead,
not
: > : at the car next to/behind me! :)
: > :
: > : - LB
: > :
: >
: > Me too. At 85 I am concentrating a lot trying not to die.
:
: I don't think a bicycle has much in the road holding department at 85km.
: Too light and the steering is too quick (on a road bike), compared to
: cars and motorcycles.
:
: GK

I dont know about that. I mean really. Not disagreeing totally but the
contact pressure on a bicycle wheel is a lot higher than a bike or car. You
would have to sit down and think about it and look at the physics I guess.
Anybody out there with too much time on their hands could work it out for
us.

Pete

John Doe
July 6th 03, 09:00 AM
"g" > wrote in message
: John Doe > wrote:
:
: > "g" > wrote in message
: > :
[...]
: More to do with shock absorbsion. Road bikes don't have suspension,
: though if standing, your arms and legs act as suspension. Bicycles
: definately feel skitterish on high speed down hills, which for a car or
: motocycle isn't high speed. Also a motorcycle has a huge amount of
: steering trail compared to a bicycle.
:
: GK

I guess I will have to take your word for it because I don't know and dont
have the inclination to find out. I know that when I have hit 85 down a
couple of particular hills they are particular straight and a good surface.
I don't feel skitterish at all but the first time I did it I got a bit of a
shudder when I applied the brakes but that is probably due to the rims not
being perfect and the high speed showed it up as a vibration.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home