PDA

View Full Version : Bike sgop in Sydney

Luther Blissett
July 2nd 03, 10:48 PM
Joe @ Seaham wrote:
> Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
> there with work and wish to buy some gear ?

I assume you mean the city and not the whole metro area?
If so, best bet is Cheek Monkey (http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au)

456 Pitt Street Sydney (near Central Station)

Open 8:30am - 6:30pm weekdays and 10 am - 4pm Saturday

- LB

Luther Blissett
July 2nd 03, 10:48 PM
Joe @ Seaham wrote:
> Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
> there with work and wish to buy some gear ?

I assume you mean the city and not the whole metro area?
If so, best bet is Cheek Monkey (http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au)

456 Pitt Street Sydney (near Central Station)

Open 8:30am - 6:30pm weekdays and 10 am - 4pm Saturday

- LB

Joe @ Seaham
July 3rd 03, 06:23 AM
Good People,

Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
there with work and wish to buy some gear ?

Thank you.

Take Care & Keep Well,
Joe
______________________________
May God grant you the serenity to
accept the things you cannot change,
courage to change the things you can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
_______________________________

Andrew Swan
July 3rd 03, 01:00 PM
Twisties wrote:
> Clarence street cyclery, somewhere on clarence street i think.

CSC is very well stocked and I've always found the staff knowledgeable
and helpful, but be prepared for CBD-level prices...

&roo

Andrew Swan
July 3rd 03, 01:00 PM
Twisties wrote:
> Clarence street cyclery, somewhere on clarence street i think.

CSC is very well stocked and I've always found the staff knowledgeable
and helpful, but be prepared for CBD-level prices...

&roo

SH
July 3rd 03, 11:40 PM
These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
shop?

Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
> Joe @ Seaham wrote:
> > Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
> > there with work and wish to buy some gear ?
> >
> I assume you mean the city and not the whole metro area?
> If so, best bet is Cheek Monkey (http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au)
>
> 456 Pitt Street Sydney (near Central Station)

> Open 8:30am - 6:30pm weekdays and 10 am - 4pm Saturday
>
> - LB

SH
July 3rd 03, 11:40 PM
These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
shop?

Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

"Luther Blissett" > wrote in
message ...
> Joe @ Seaham wrote:
> > Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
> > there with work and wish to buy some gear ?
> >
> I assume you mean the city and not the whole metro area?
> If so, best bet is Cheek Monkey (http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au)
>
> 456 Pitt Street Sydney (near Central Station)

> Open 8:30am - 6:30pm weekdays and 10 am - 4pm Saturday
>
> - LB

Luther Blissett
July 4th 03, 08:09 AM
SH wrote:

> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> shop?
>
> Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

You stick with what you like, but no need to be such an arsehole.

Luther Blissett
July 4th 03, 08:09 AM
SH wrote:

> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> shop?
>
> Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

You stick with what you like, but no need to be such an arsehole.

kingsley
July 5th 03, 01:09 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

> So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop,
> not a real bike shop?

Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've
ever visited. The guys live and breathe bikes, they
are passionate about their work (Adam is a damn fine
wheel builder too).

If you go in and ask a question you will be given
a direct an honest answer. (This week I was told to
buy a particular bike on special from Phantom because
it was better than what they could do.)

The shop itself is tiny, but I always find it is packed
with more interesting stuff than Clarence. And there's
a mix of bikes too - everything from roadies to foldables.
It's a great place to browse, and have a look at what's
going on.

Of course what you wont find is a $9999 mountain bike
on the floor[1], nor 25 different flavours of Trek. Don't
get me wrong, Clarence St Cyclery is a great store too,
but despite 3 floors and lots of bikes, I don't find
the interesting and off-beat equipment you get at Cheeky
Monkey. A case in point are my lepoard-print fur mudflaps
I'm going to put on the tandem ('The Wumpus')... hardly
a commuting bike or product.

Both stores will give a discount to Bicycle NSW members.

Oh, and don't forget "Woolies Wheels" (sp?) Out at Paddington,
or any of the other non-CBD shops.

-kt

[1] a silver-grey Klein(?) XTR groupset expensive-alloy
(but not titanium). It's to the right of the 'special'
bikes on to ground floor adjacent to the counter.
Can someone please point out what that last $2000 is
buying?!

kingsley
July 5th 03, 01:09 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

> So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop,
> not a real bike shop?

Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've
ever visited. The guys live and breathe bikes, they
are passionate about their work (Adam is a damn fine
wheel builder too).

If you go in and ask a question you will be given
a direct an honest answer. (This week I was told to
buy a particular bike on special from Phantom because
it was better than what they could do.)

The shop itself is tiny, but I always find it is packed
with more interesting stuff than Clarence. And there's
a mix of bikes too - everything from roadies to foldables.
It's a great place to browse, and have a look at what's
going on.

Of course what you wont find is a $9999 mountain bike
on the floor[1], nor 25 different flavours of Trek. Don't
get me wrong, Clarence St Cyclery is a great store too,
but despite 3 floors and lots of bikes, I don't find
the interesting and off-beat equipment you get at Cheeky
Monkey. A case in point are my lepoard-print fur mudflaps
I'm going to put on the tandem ('The Wumpus')... hardly
a commuting bike or product.

Both stores will give a discount to Bicycle NSW members.

Oh, and don't forget "Woolies Wheels" (sp?) Out at Paddington,
or any of the other non-CBD shops.

-kt

[1] a silver-grey Klein(?) XTR groupset expensive-alloy
(but not titanium). It's to the right of the 'special'
bikes on to ground floor adjacent to the counter.
Can someone please point out what that last $2000 is
buying?!

kingsley
July 5th 03, 01:18 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

Do they?!
How do you tell?

Perhaps they support it in an 'ideals' sort of
way in that they too would like a safer cycling
environment on the roads. I know I do.

I suspect that with the right sort of
argument that *every* bike shop supports CM.

-kt

kingsley
July 5th 03, 01:18 AM
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

Do they?!
How do you tell?

Perhaps they support it in an 'ideals' sort of
way in that they too would like a safer cycling
environment on the roads. I know I do.

I suspect that with the right sort of
argument that *every* bike shop supports CM.

-kt

Dave@fnq
July 5th 03, 01:53 AM
"SH" > wrote in message
> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> shop?
>
> Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

Many peope here also support Crical Mass, you you still come here!

Dave

Dave@fnq
July 5th 03, 01:53 AM
"SH" > wrote in message
> These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> shop?
>
> Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

Many peope here also support Crical Mass, you you still come here!

Dave

SH
July 5th 03, 10:02 AM
LOL

Sorry Guys just **** stirring

"Peter Signorini" > wrote in message

> "SH" > wrote in message
> > These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> Great, so do I and lots of others.
>
> > So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> > shop?
>
> I'd say most commuter cyclists would consider themselves to be 'real
> cyclists' who use 'real bike shops'. What exactly is a commuter shop
anyway?

> > Id stick with Clarence street cyclery
>
> Good for you.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

SH
July 5th 03, 10:02 AM
LOL

Sorry Guys just **** stirring

"Peter Signorini" > wrote in message

> "SH" > wrote in message
> > These guys support Critical Mass dont they?
>
> Great, so do I and lots of others.
>
> > So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
> > shop?
>
> I'd say most commuter cyclists would consider themselves to be 'real
> cyclists' who use 'real bike shops'. What exactly is a commuter shop
anyway?

> > Id stick with Clarence street cyclery
>
> Good for you.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Malvern_star
July 7th 03, 03:10 PM
Sydney's a big place. In the North - Turramurra cyclery , Supreme cycles
, Cranks at North Sydney and St Ives and Bike Addiction in Manly West -
Bikes R Us South - ABC bikes in Liverpool In the East - Pacific ocean ,
Bondi beach haha ;)

Cheers

Andrew Swan
July 8th 03, 09:52 AM
Malvern_star wrote:
> Sydney's a big place. In the North - Turramurra cyclery , Supreme cycles
> , Cranks at North Sydney and St Ives and Bike Addiction in Manly West -
> Bikes R Us South - ABC bikes in Liverpool In the East - Pacific ocean ,
> Bondi beach haha ;)

Anyone got any first-hand experience of that bike shop on the Pac H'way
at Chatswood?

&roo

P.S. Don't forget Renegade at Lane Cove - like CSC, they're
knowledgeable and friendly but not cheap.

Andrew Price
July 8th 03, 11:56 AM
"Andrew Swan" > wrote in message
> Anyone got any first-hand experience of that bike shop on the Pac H'way
> at Chatswood?

Northside Cyclery - I like the guys who run the workshop operation - they
ride they race they fix bikes and build good wheels.

As to buying, good for mtb, not so great for quality road bikes (have heard
good reports on Turramurra Cycles for roadies)

best, Andrew

orfeo
July 16th 03, 01:40 AM
Kingsley wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:
> > So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop, not a real
> > bike shop?
> Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've ever visited. The guys
> live and breathe bikes, they are passionate about their work (Adam is a
> damn fine wheel builder too).
> If you go in and ask a question you will be given a direct an honest
> answer. (This week I was told to buy a particular bike on special from
> Phantom because it was better than what they could do.)

When i used to courier in town cheecky monkey's was the place to go for
repairs and was the most repsected place among the couriers . Clarence
st has the range of new bikes and is a good place to shop but probably
you would buy somewhere else or ask for 10-20% off their prices.

orfeo

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home