PDA

View Full Version : TDF and australians

cc
July 7th 03, 12:33 PM
I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.

Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.

--
| Democracy can learn some things from Communism: for example,
| when a Communist politician is through, he is through.

Ollie Wigg
July 7th 03, 12:51 PM
Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
sercumstnaces to our own.
Ollie
"cc" > wrote in message
> I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
> nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.
>
> Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
> Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.
>
> --
> | Democracy can learn some things from Communism: for example,
> | when a Communist politician is through, he is through.

mitchell mandell
July 7th 03, 01:14 PM
Non Cycling.. ??

your on crack
Ollie Wigg > wrote in message
> Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
> I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
> sercumstnaces to our own.
> Ollie
> "cc" > wrote in message
> > I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
> > nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.
> >
> > Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
> > Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.
> >
> > --
> > | Democracy can learn some things from Communism: for example,
> > | when a Communist politician is through, he is through.

July 7th 03, 03:02 PM
Ollie Wigg > wrote:

> Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
> I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
> sercumstnaces to our own.
> Ollie

Well, in spectator popularity, cycling is equal first with football in
Belgium and clear #2 pro sport (to football) in Holland, France, Italy
and Spain (I think). In terms of those countries, we aren't a cycling
nation.

Compared to nations outside Europe, we **** on'em in the Tour in terms
of numbers and performance. I'm sure the yanks don't that many in the
Tour.

In terms of recreational/commuting use, we are as big or bigger users
than France/Italy/Spain - but much less than Holland, Germany, Austria
and even Japan. But in those terms we could be a cycling nation.

my 5c

GK

patch70
July 8th 03, 01:10 AM
> I'm sure the yanks don't that many in the Tour.

There were 8 American starters in the TDF. Obviously no comparison on a
per capita basis....:D

SH
July 8th 03, 05:17 AM
Sure we're not a cycling nation compared to most Euro countries!! I told a
guy at work that I was disappointed that I would miss that days coverage of
the tour. He said' "your into that are you?" Pretty much the attitude of
most my non cycling buddies.

I'm sure continued success will help to bring about change.

The AIS cycling program should be congratulated for developing so many great
riders from a relatively small participation base.

"mitchell mandell" > wrote in message
> Non Cycling.. ??
>
> your on crack
> Ollie Wigg > wrote in message
> > Are we sutch a non-cycling nation?
> > I'd be interested to know how we compare with other counties in similar
> > sercumstnaces to our own.
> > Ollie
> > "cc" > wrote in message
> > > I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
> > > nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.
> > >
> > > Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
> > > Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.
> > >
> > > --

Andrew Swan
July 8th 03, 09:48 AM
cc wrote:
> I think it's pretty impressive how a non-cycling
> nation like Oz can do so well at the TDF.
>
> Pity Cadel had to break his collar bone, twice.
> Hope Henk gets back to racing soon.

Yep, imagine if Cadel Evans was fit - seeing an Aussie holding his own
in the mountains .... but that aside, it's just amazing our results so
far - 1st and 3rd on GC, three jerseys (out of 4?) between the seven of
them, two stage wins out of three - where's it going to end??? Hopefully
never, although I think the smart money's on Lance for the long haul.

&roo

Theo Bekkers
July 8th 03, 11:39 AM
"g" wrote
> But I counted 6.
>
> Lance Armstrong
> George Hincapie
> Floyd Landis
> Levi Leipheimer
> Tyler Hamilton
> Fred Rodriguez

You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.

Theo

July 8th 03, 12:24 PM
Theo Bekkers > wrote:

> "g" wrote
> > But I counted 6.
> >
> > Lance Armstrong
> > George Hincapie
> > Floyd Landis
> > Levi Leipheimer
> > Tyler Hamilton
> > Fred Rodriguez
>
> You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.
>
> Theo

Tyler is still in, sofar. Leipheimer is out with broken hip. But we're
talking about starters anyway.

GK

Theo Bekkers
July 8th 03, 12:29 PM
"g" wrote
> Theo Bekkers wrote:

> > You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.

> Tyler is still in, sofar.

He broke it today.

Theo

cc
July 8th 03, 01:18 PM
mitchell mandell wrote:

> Non Cycling.. ??
>
> your on crack

It does get very poor coverage esp on TV (apart from the
10 seconds on the news and the SBS).
And in terms of popularity, I'm not sure if it'd
be in the top 10?
Footy, Rugby, Basketball, Tennis, Soccer, Cricket,
Netball, Swimming, Surfing, Squash, ....
Anyone?

Anyway, the sport always reminds me of that final battle
scene in Star Wars where u get groups of X-fighters
ganging up on the opposition and launching one of your own.

--
| Have you ever danced with the Devil by the pale moonlight?
| I ask that of all my prey. I just like the sound of it...
| - the Joker `Batman'

July 8th 03, 02:53 PM
Theo Bekkers > wrote:

> "g" wrote
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
> > > You can cross of Tyler, he broke a collarbone.
>
> > Tyler is still in, sofar.
>
> He broke it today.

He is riding in stage 3 as I type, with the broken collarbone, the mad
little *******!

GK

patch70
July 9th 03, 12:40 AM
> But I counted 6.

> Lance Armstrong George Hincapie Floyd Landis Levi Leipheimer Tyler
> Hamilton Fred Rodriguez

You are correct. I read 8 in the newspaper.

Paul J
July 9th 03, 07:40 AM
:It does get very poor coverage esp on TV (apart from the 10 seconds on
the :news and the SBS). And in :terms of popularity, I'm not sure if
it'd be in the top 10? Footy, Rugby, :Basketball, Tennis, :Soccer,
Cricket, Netball, Swimming, Surfing, Squash, .... Anyone?

Your forgot to mention the various incarnations of Motorsports (hugely
popular). And then when there's nothing else to fill the gaps, theres
darts, snooker, poker and tiddly winks. Anything just so so long as it's
not cycling. Afterall cycling just isn't "Australian".

Shabby
July 10th 03, 03:40 AM
wrote:
> Your forgot to mention the various incarnations of Motorsports (hugely
> popular). And then when there's nothing else to fill the gaps, theres
> darts, snooker, poker and tiddly winks. Anything just so so long as it's
> not cycling. Afterall cycling just isn't "Australian".

And for God's sake, why do we get Lawn bowls on TV! I'm sure it's just
because it's easy to report on.

D&M johnston
July 16th 03, 03:47 PM
"Shabby" > wrote in message
> wrote:
> > Your forgot to mention the various incarnations of Motorsports (hugely
> > popular). And then when there's nothing else to fill the gaps, theres
> > darts, snooker, poker and tiddly winks. Anything just so so long as
it's
> > not cycling. Afterall cycling just isn't "Australian".
>

> And for God's sake, why do we get Lawn bowls on TV! I'm sure it's just
> because it's easy to report on.
>
> Yeah...actually I thought that Lawn bowls might've had a chance of revival
after the 'Crackerjack' movie.

> --

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home