PDA

View Full Version : thru AZ via Grand Canyon

Denis Kertz
August 2nd 04, 11:50 PM
I'm planning an Adventure Cycling (AC) Southern Tier route this fall and am
considering a side trip to the Grand Canyon. This would leave the AC route
at Wickenberg and head up to the South Rim and then head southeast to
re-connect with the AC route at Silver City, NM. To do this it looks like I
would have to head south to Flagstaff from the South Rim and ride the
interstate for about 80 miles to Holbrook before catching Hwy 180 to Silver
City.

I think the worst part of this side trip would be the interstate travel
between Flagstaff and Holbrook. I've toured on the interstate before and I
generally detest the noise pollution of the high speed traffic. However,
the only other possibility to avoid the interstate looks like traveling thru
the Hopi Indian Reservation east of the Grand Canyon. I'm guessing this is
pretty remote (264 to 77 to I40) with few services.

So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
alternatives) which would be basically:
wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city

Denis

gcdoss
August 3rd 04, 03:34 AM
Denis Kertz wrote:
> I'm planning an Adventure Cycling (AC) Southern Tier route this fall and am
> considering a side trip to the Grand Canyon. This would leave the AC route
> at Wickenberg and head up to the South Rim and then head southeast to
> re-connect with the AC route at Silver City, NM. To do this it looks like I
> would have to head south to Flagstaff from the South Rim and ride the
> interstate for about 80 miles to Holbrook before catching Hwy 180 to Silver
> City.
>
> I think the worst part of this side trip would be the interstate travel
> between Flagstaff and Holbrook. I've toured on the interstate before and I
> generally detest the noise pollution of the high speed traffic. However,
> the only other possibility to avoid the interstate looks like traveling thru
> the Hopi Indian Reservation east of the Grand Canyon. I'm guessing this is
> pretty remote (264 to 77 to I40) with few services.
>
> So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
> alternatives) which would be basically:
> wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
> rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city
>
> Denis

Denis,
You could go on south of Flagstaff and take the same road through Payson
and central Az. that the RAAM riders did several months ago.
I would be scared of I-40 more than I-10.
Jerry

August 6th 04, 04:08 AM
Denis Kertz > wrote:

> So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
> alternatives) which would be basically:
> wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
> rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city

How about this:

South Rim - Flagstaff - Mormon Lake - Payson - Snowflake - ShowLow - Eagar
- Silver City

I don't know that terrain personally, but I hear the Mogollon Rim
country is gorgeous. That might translate into "challenging" riding.
I'd take it over I-40 anytime, though.

Bill

Rick Warner
August 6th 04, 03:32 PM
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 03:08:19 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>Denis Kertz > wrote:
>
>> So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
>> alternatives) which would be basically:
>> wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
>> rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city
>
> How about this:
>
>South Rim - Flagstaff - Mormon Lake - Payson - Snowflake - ShowLow - Eagar
>- Silver City
>
> I don't know that terrain personally, but I hear the Mogollon Rim
>country is gorgeous. That might translate into "challenging" riding.
>I'd take it over I-40 anytime, though.

Take a look at the elevations. This is largely downhill ride. And
the grades are not that tough.

- rick 'former Flagstaff resident'

dreaded
August 9th 04, 07:02 AM
"Rick Warner" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 03:08:19 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
>
> >Denis Kertz > wrote:
> >
> >> So I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this area (or suggested
> >> alternatives) which would be basically:
> >> wickenberg-prescott-I40-williams-south
> >> rim-cameron-flagstaff-I40-holbrook-hwy 180-silver city
> >
> > How about this:
> >
> >South Rim - Flagstaff - Mormon Lake - Payson - Snowflake - ShowLow -
Eagar
> >- Silver City
> >
> > I don't know that terrain personally, but I hear the Mogollon Rim
> >country is gorgeous. That might translate into "challenging" riding.
> >I'd take it over I-40 anytime, though.
>
> Take a look at the elevations. This is largely downhill ride. And
> the grades are not that tough.
>
> - rick 'former Flagstaff resident'

the mormon lake route mentioned sounds better to me (NAU alum). i wouldnt
ride I-40 either. but that Hopi country is beautiful but yes remote and some
areas are not too friendly for whites (understandably) but there is no other
place like the moonscapes north of I-40.
if the trip from south rim loops from prescott-williams-southrim-cameron
there is a very nice short loop through some ruins called Wupatki and Sunset
Crater Natl Mon.
IMO if you stay off the interstate and can figure out the water sit. it's
probably a win-win situation.
-alan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home