PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather clothing

stamkis
October 19th 03, 02:51 PM
Winter is fast approaching and I would like to extend my riding as long as
possible. The cold weather always wins out eventually. But, I would like
to keep riding until the temperatures start dipping into the high twenties
or early 30's. The two coldest areas I have trouble keeping warm are my
hands and feet. Last year someone posted a site that gives cold weather
options or clothing advice for bikers. Could someone send that link(s) to
the ng.

Or, if you have any of your own hand-feet warming strategies and/or clothing
choices I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!

In the past, I've tried wearing the winter gloves by Pearlizumi. They are
okay, but when the weather dips below 40 F, they don't retain heat very well
and my fingers get cold. I've thought of buying the mittens. But, I have a
feeling they won't be much better.

I've had a much harder time keeping my feet warm. A couple years ago I
bought booties to cover my shoes and even a battery powered foot-heater like
the ones used in skiing or hiking. This had its pluses and minuses. My
feet still were cold. Part of the problem was that I was wearing sneakers.
They don't retain any heat. I know I have to buy another type of footwear
for winter riding. I just don't know which shoe or boot would be a good
brand or type to buy. Anyone had a good experience with a particular brand
of shoe or boot for winter riding?

One problem that seems to happen is that if an article of clothing is
particularly good at insulating heat, then it sometimes gets too hot and you
need some sort of ventilation. I notice this particularly if I wear my
winter gloves on a day that is slightly too warm. It can happen with the
feet too under higher temperatures. Seems like these gloves or boots should
come with zippers or ventilating systems to let some air in, but not too
much. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Penny S
October 19th 03, 03:27 PM
stamkis spray painted on a boxcar:
> Winter is fast approaching and I would like to extend my riding as
> long as possible. The cold weather always wins out eventually. But,
> I would like to keep riding until the temperatures start dipping into
> the high twenties or early 30's. The two coldest areas I have
> trouble keeping warm are my hands and feet. Last year someone posted
> a site that gives cold weather options or clothing advice for bikers.
> Could someone send that link(s) to the ng.
>
> Or, if you have any of your own hand-feet warming strategies and/or
> clothing choices I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!

my winter glove.. Black Diamond Thermastat on sale right now for $29 from
$59

http://www.mgear.com/pages/product/product.asp?level1_id=0&level2_id=0&level3_id=0&item=372507&level2_title=

D T W .../\\...
October 19th 03, 03:57 PM
Lake MXZ300's - Not cheap but a great shoe for New England winters.
I'm comfortable down to @ 20F with a ski sock. The uppers are neoprene, a
wet suit material, with a Velcro closure that keeps out the mud & snow.

http://www.bikeman.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SH5852&Cate
gory_Code=CLSHWNTRLAKE

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

"stamkis" > wrote in message
> Winter is fast approaching and I would like to extend my riding as long as

Bob M
October 19th 03, 05:27 PM
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:51:21 GMT, stamkis > wrote:

> Winter is fast approaching and I would like to extend my riding as long
> as
> possible. The cold weather always wins out eventually. But, I would
> like
> to keep riding until the temperatures start dipping into the high
> twenties
> or early 30's. The two coldest areas I have trouble keeping warm are my
> hands and feet. Last year someone posted a site that gives cold weather
> options or clothing advice for bikers. Could someone send that link(s)
> the ng.
>
> Or, if you have any of your own hand-feet warming strategies and/or
> clothing
> choices I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!
>
> In the past, I've tried wearing the winter gloves by Pearlizumi. They
> are
> okay, but when the weather dips below 40 F, they don't retain heat very
> well
> and my fingers get cold. I've thought of buying the mittens. But, I
> have a
> feeling they won't be much better.

I wear lobster gloves with an extra inner liner. These have helped down to
about zero.

> I've had a much harder time keeping my feet warm. A couple years ago I
> bought booties to cover my shoes and even a battery powered foot-heater
> like
> the ones used in skiing or hiking. This had its pluses and minuses. My
> feet still were cold. Part of the problem was that I was wearing
> sneakers.
> They don't retain any heat. I know I have to buy another type of
> footwear
> for winter riding. I just don't know which shoe or boot would be a good
> brand or type to buy. Anyone had a good experience with a particular
> brand
> of shoe or boot for winter riding?

What I do is order a shoe that is a size or two too big. Then I wear
multiple layers of socks along with a bootie outside the shoe. They do
make winter-specific shoes, but I haven't tried them.

> One problem that seems to happen is that if an article of clothing is
> particularly good at insulating heat, then it sometimes gets too hot and
> you
> need some sort of ventilation. I notice this particularly if I wear my
> winter gloves on a day that is slightly too warm. It can happen with the
> feet too under higher temperatures. Seems like these gloves or boots
> should
> come with zippers or ventilating systems to let some air in, but not too
> much. I guess I want to have my cake and eat it too.

--
Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

October 19th 03, 07:15 PM
Only if you let the the cold win. Some of the
best riding i in winter. No gridlock on the trails cause the wimps
stay home. Cover your head with a Buff and double top,bottom,
gloves,and socks. No frostie here and this will be my 9th winter of
riding in New England.

Fire up MTB 03

October 19th 03, 07:20 PM
Bob I heard you were moving west far you can get west.
West coast.

Fire up MTB 03

(Pete Cresswell)
October 19th 03, 10:56 PM
RE/
>Or, if you have any of your own hand-feet warming strategies and/or clothing
>choices I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!

How about balaclavas?

I've got two of 'em: one lycra, and one fleece. They go a long way towards
keeping your hands/feet warm because they prevent so much heat loss from your
head.

--
PeteCresswell

Michael Dart
October 19th 03, 11:19 PM
"stamkis" > wrote in message
> Winter is fast approaching and I would like to extend my riding as long as
> possible. The cold weather always wins out eventually. But, I would like
> to keep riding until the temperatures start dipping into the high twenties
> or early 30's. The two coldest areas I have trouble keeping warm are my
> hands and feet. Last year someone posted a site that gives cold weather
> options or clothing advice for bikers. Could someone send that link(s) to
> the ng.

When the temps drop below 30 I wear polypro base with a powerstretch fleece
layer. Then insulated Gore-tex pants and North Face Mountain Lite Parka
with Gore Windstopper liner. Top that with a Giro Ravine helmet and Nordica
ski boots.

Mike - see you on the slopes! ;^)

Penny S
October 20th 03, 12:29 AM
(Pete Cresswell) spray painted on a boxcar:
> RE/
>> Or, if you have any of your own hand-feet warming strategies and/or
>> clothing choices I would appreciate hearing about them. Thanks!
>
> How about balaclavas?
>
> I've got two of 'em: one lycra, and one fleece. They go a long way
> towards keeping your hands/feet warm because they prevent so much
> heat loss from your head.

that's an old mountaineering trick: you lose up to 70% of heat out of the
top of your head. If my hands and feet are cold I put on a hat of some sort
and or another layer on the "core".

Penny

stamkis
October 20th 03, 03:18 AM

> When the temps drop below 30 I wear polypro base with a powerstretch
fleece
> layer. Then insulated Gore-tex pants and North Face Mountain Lite Parka
> with Gore Windstopper liner. Top that with a Giro Ravine helmet and
Nordica
> ski boots.
>
> Mike - see you on the slopes! ;^)

You bike with ski boots? Must really **** off the skiers on the slopes: -)

Thanks everyone for all your help. I feel I've made some progress in
improving my chances to bike and skate a little longer this year. Thanks
again!

After my initial posting I decided to do a little web searching for cold
weather biking. I came across this/these sites which I think is sponsored by
Gorp. Hope someone finds them helpful.

Cold Weather Touring
Staying Warm in a Cold Saddle
By Dennis Coello