PDA

View Full Version : Daft question about shifters

Victor Meldrew
July 13th 03, 12:23 AM
Can STI shifters (Ultegra circa 97) which have been fitted for double
use be modified in some way to shift on a triple?

Thanks.
--
Victor Meldrew

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Tony Raven
July 13th 03, 08:47 AM
In ,
Victor Meldrew > typed:
> Can STI shifters (Ultegra circa 97) which have been fitted for double
> use be modified in some way to shift on a triple?

There used to be a thing called an Erickson Gizmo that fitted to the cable
as it exited the shifter. You could twist it with a little lever so the
shifter went between either the middle and outer or inner and middle.
Haven't seen or heard of one for ages though since triple STIs became
available but someone might have one in a bits box somewhere. I think they
were made by Erickson Cycles in Seattle and you could try e-mailing them at

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is
violently opposed. Finally, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer

M Series
July 13th 03, 01:44 PM
I think the Shimano site had a FAQ about this and I think it said they
should work OK. Don't ask me how though. Check the FAQs on www.shimano.com I
looked into this some time ago.

"Victor Meldrew" > wrote in message
> Can STI shifters (Ultegra circa 97) which have been fitted for double
> use be modified in some way to shift on a triple?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Victor Meldrew
>
> Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

martin
July 13th 03, 08:15 PM
> "Victor Meldrew"

> > Can STI shifters (Ultegra circa 97) which have been fitted for double
> > use be modified in some way to shift on a triple?

I have an RSX shifter which is triple even though the chainset on the
bike is double (cheap french hypermarket bike came with choice of
chainsets) so it is probably just a change of drum or something. I
know RX100 could be converted from 8 to 7.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home