PDA

View Full Version : the 2003 Cali-MUni week-end thread.

jagur
August 29th 03, 10:03 AM
who,where ,what ,when and why.......this is the thread to talk about it.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

muddycycle
August 29th 03, 07:47 PM
I plan to drive my truck down from Corvallis Oregon. I have room for one
more or if someone is is headed south from this area that could pick me
up I would split the gas. I was just in the bay area and gas was around
2.20 and going up for Labor day weekend that's about $200 in gas for my
truck.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

paco
August 29th 03, 10:06 PM
I never did see a list of who's coming, so I'll ask here.
Who is planning on coming to the event? I am, for the entire thing. I
hopefully will fill out the registration today (got a show in a few
hours), then all I'll need to do is buy a ticket. I am credit
card-less, which makes it hard to get a ticket online.
Can't wait to meet some of you for the second time, now that I know who
you are!

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

johnfoss
August 29th 03, 10:50 PM
I've been collecting some registration forms, but I've yet to make the
'03 version of my spreadsheet for collecting the data, so they're kind
of sitting there at the moment.

One of the first forms came from Gilby. Then there are three guys from
Texas, including Jerry Gruss and S. Wallis. Jagur and Tony Flusche. A
guy from Santa Barbara, and I'm some. Ben, Joey, and a third guy from
the Boston area are coming. Another group of three from CT is expected.
Don't know who's coming from Toronto, because I saw Jeff Groves and Carl
Hoyer(?) went to Vancouver. Dan Heaton is hoping to come down and bring
the video.

Kris Holm is getting married on Sept. 20, and I don't know if he can
make it or not. Hopefully others from the Vancouver area will make the
trip down. I'll be very surprised if John Childs can't make it, and I
hope he will be joined by Harper and others from the Seattle area.

Then there are the closer people, most of whom will hopefully make it.
From the Bay area: Nathan and Beau, Rob Bowman, Bronson Silva, Bruce
Bundy (David Poznanter is in Europe), Tom Holub, and Keith from
Berkeley. Brett Bymaster is in Iowa now. There are many other Bay area
riders BTW, those are just the best-known names.

And from Sacramento, maybe a miracle will happen and all our local
riders will be in the same place at the same time! A few: John and Woody
Hooten, Andy Messenger (and others from Troopizi), Tim Bustos, Andy
Jennings, Jeff Binning, Terrell Williams, Ted Howe, Lloyd Johnson.

I'll get a list up as I get my paperwork more organized. First, some
hotel suggestions for those of you who want your own bathroom (and
space). Otherwise, we're going to accommodate as many floor and yard
people as we can, as long as we have enough willing homeowners.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

john_childs
August 29th 03, 10:58 PM
I'll be there. I just haven't sent in my registration yet.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

tomblackwood
August 30th 03, 12:38 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *I'll be very surprised if John Childs can't make it, and I hope he
> will be joined by Harper and others from the Seattle area.*

I'm an other from the Seattle area that is planning on coming, although
I haven't done the reggie form or purchased the airline ticket yet.
Question for John F: how kid-friendly will the weekend be? My
9-year-old boy rides muni, and I'm trying to figure out if it makes
sense for him to come along. Are all the rides fairly long and
advanced? Do you know if there are other kids planning on attending
(not counting Beau who rides in Adult class)?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

onefiftyfour
August 30th 03, 04:41 PM
I'll be there. I'm one of the 3 texas guys, John mentioned. We're
coming Thursday night and leaving Monday morning. I'm looking forward
to meeting everyone.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

paco
August 30th 03, 05:22 PM
I assume that when we send you a check for payment, we make it out to
John Foss, right? Just checking (no pun intended).

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

zach_jucha
August 30th 03, 09:19 PM
hopefully i'll be there. just have to get it worked out with nathan. by
the way, you should be getting a call soon nathan...

--
zach_jucha - full time american hero
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Klaas Bil
August 30th 03, 10:44 PM
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:50:27 -0500, johnfoss
> wrote:

>Kris Holm is getting married on Sept. 20
Does she ride unis?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker... - Roger Davies

myocardial
August 31st 03, 03:43 AM
Eyal and I will be there from Santa Barbara. Eyal already sent his
registration and I'm waiting for the 1st (stupid UC pay system).

Distance training has fallen to the wayside for a couple weeks after
fighting a battle with heat exhaustion on a trail maintenence outing.
But my uphill attacks have gotten stronger as well as my recovery off
small drops. Confidence is getting better too, especially since
purchasing better safety gear.

Here is the training route for Monday (just to the waterfall):

'San Ysidro' (http://tinyurl.com/lqtg)

Can't wait to meet everyone!

matt

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

myocardial
August 31st 03, 04:06 AM
Oh yeah and if you want you can count me in with the other Texans cause
I've got dual citizenship and the swimtrunks to prove it!

[image:
http://www.underthings.com/underthings/mus46_lone_star_surf_shorts.jpg]

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

Dylan Wallinger
August 31st 03, 10:05 AM
I'm also planning on coming, although I dont know how. Hopefully I hook
up with Dan, or somebody else to drive....

-Dylan

Wah-da-tah

--
Dylan Wallinger
Dylan Wallinger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3797

unicyclejoe
September 1st 03, 03:53 AM
Me, Dan and, Ben, will most deffinetly be there.

I dont know what day we are arriving or any stuff like that yet, ben is
the only one with the
flight info and he took of to the jersey shore for a week.

But the boston riders will be there, although i dont think any of us
have registerd yet.

Joey

--
unicyclejoe
unicyclejoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/377

paco
September 1st 03, 07:06 AM
I think we should call the California Mountain Unicycle Weekend 8 the
CMUWVIII. It's fun to say, and would look really cool on a T-shirt!

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

gerblefranklin
September 4th 03, 06:44 AM
I'm 95% sure that I'm coming. If anyone's driving through the bay area,
and can handle an extra 14 year old, I'd like too hook up with you to
see if I can get a ride. Otherwise, I'm takin' the train with Tom. I was
also wondering if we'd be allowed to crash at John's house. All I need
is about a plot of floor about 5.5'by2'. Oh yeah, and a tiny bit of
food. Hope to be there:D .

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

onefiftyfour
September 5th 03, 07:22 PM
how many kh-24's do you think will be there? i'm thinking of doing
something to mine so that i'll be able to find it among others.

-eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

johnfoss
September 5th 03, 07:54 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *Question for John F: how kid-friendly will the weekend be? My
> 9-year-old boy rides muni, and I'm trying to figure out if it makes
> sense for him to come along. *
Over the years we've learned that age and skill level are much less a
factor than fitness level. Here's some distance info:

In Auburn there will be choices on ride length. Exact schedule is up in
the air at the moment, as we may do dinner/Trials/video in Granite Bay,
changing Auburn to Saturday and cutting down the riding time. The
Clemenine Loop, as we ride it, is about 7 miles with about 1000' of
climb. Or we will do a drop-off, to cut off 2-3 miles of that and
eliminate most of the climb. Alternately, riders can do the easier and
less-exciting Quarry Road Trail, on the other side of the river. So far
nobody has signed up for that one though. Depending on time we will ride
some other trails, but in general, Auburn is pretty flexible in miles
ridden.

Rockville is the most flexible area of all. The park is only about 700
acres, and trails criss-cross all over the place. No problem for riders
of any level. Even the place I plan to do some Moab-style competitions
is less than half a mile from the parking lot.

The main Downieville ride is long and hard. I will report more specific
distances as I get more accurate information about pick-up points, where
the trail connects with a road. The "average" 9 year old is probably not
up to that ride. The alternate Downieville ride is to just head out from
town and turn around to return, or get dropped off at one of the pick-up
points and ride from there into town. Those should be nice rides, though
not as technical as the higher-up areas of the trail.

Please ask more if you need more detail. Soon I'll get the Web site
pumped up with a lot more information... :)

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 5th 03, 07:56 PM
jagur wrote:
> *dudleydoride and i plan on being there Friday night and doing the
> ride on Saturday,then leaving Sunday morning.no 17 mile grind for
> us.
>
> John,i can use your shower right? *
Definitely. We might even make it a requirement!

You may end up at a different house; we'll see how it all plays out. For
Friday evening arrival, keep me posted as to when you're coming in, so
we set you up with the appropriate place to go.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 5th 03, 07:57 PM
paco wrote:
> *I assume that when we send you a check for payment, we make it out to
> John Foss, right? Just checking (no pun intended). *
Yes. Please make checks to "John Foss."

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

tomblackwood
September 5th 03, 08:57 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Over the years we've learned that age and skill level are much less a
> factor than fitness level. Please ask more if you need more detail. *

John, thanks for such a detailed response. One of my worries was that
Downieville would be an all or nothing proposition, forcing me to choose
between riding it and bringing my son to the weekend.

One more question: aside from the terrain which you've answered, would
you characterize it as a "kid-friendly" weekend? Are other kids in the
8-12 range coming?

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

johnfoss
September 5th 03, 10:47 PM
There are usually some kids at any MUni Weekend, but depending what
their riding level is, they may not be seen on the major rides. I also
have trouble every year figuring out how many youth T-shirts to
order...

So at events like Moab earlier this year, Beau may have been the only
kid out on the trail, but there were many others when we arrived back at
the campground or other group events. Beau seems to be okay with that.

People are going to be a little spread around this year, because there
simply isn't enough room at any one house for all the sleeping-baggers.
John Childs, Nathan and family, and the three guys from Texas will be at
John Hooten's, and the Boston guys (and possibly others) will be at
another house near Hootens. That's Granite Bay, which is quite a ways
away from my house, for example. The hotels I'm recommending (soon to be
posted) are 2-3 miles from my house. I could use another house to put
people at...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

tomblackwood
September 7th 03, 01:32 AM
JF: Is there someplace I can e-mail you? It used to be listed...

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

johnfoss
September 9th 03, 01:16 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *Is there someplace I can e-mail you? *
This seems to be a common problem. My email address is listed at the
bottom of every page on my Web site. I have the spam to prove it! :)
I'll fix that, after I get all the MUni Weekend info up. See next post
for more...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 9th 03, 01:22 AM
Looking for a place to stay without someone's stinky feet potentially in
your face, and a bulldog not licking you at 4:30 am? The Accommodations
page is finally up:

http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2003/accommodations.htm

I have also updated the main page with some further information,
including a re-switch of ride locations for Friday and Saturday. Quick
rundown:

Friday, Oct. 17:
Rockville Hills Park. Trail riding in the morning, games in the
afternoon, group sushi dinner for those that are interested (not
included in registration).

Saturday, Oct. 18:
American River Confluence, Auburn. Confluence Uphill Race in the
morning, followed by trail rides. In the afternoon, we'll do more games
at either John Hooten's house, or on granite slabs along Folsom Lake.
Dinner at nearby Mark & Monica's Sports Bar, with a screening of
UNiVERsE 2 on five TVs at the same time! The menu will be a salad and
pizza buffet. The pizza is good.

Sunday, Oct. 19:
Downieville Downhill, as planned. In the unlikely but possible event of
snow, we may have to move this ride to a different location, TBA.
Remember, Downieville is a long drive, so you can't so the full ride and
also fly home Sunday evening.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

nathan
September 9th 03, 02:06 AM
Ryan, that's great you can come. And of course you can come to as many
as you want. John just meant that some people wouldn't fly that far,
twice, close together. But Jeff Groves is an exceptional guy!

See you in Oct,
Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

gerblefranklin
September 9th 03, 04:12 AM
Is anyone driving through the San Francisco/bay area who'd be able (and
willing of course) to take an extra 14 year old and his 2 unicycles?
Please e-mail me at . Thanks.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Dylan Wallinger
September 9th 03, 06:30 AM
Jeez, I am totally broke. I dont know If I'll be able to make it, but
I'm still hoping. How important is it that we register ahead of time?

-Dylan

--
Dylan Wallinger
Dylan Wallinger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3797

onefiftyfour
September 9th 03, 02:13 PM
I'm in for sushi. I love it.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

johnfoss
September 9th 03, 07:25 PM
Dylan Wallinger wrote:
> *How important is it that we register ahead of time?*
Canadian riders don't need to send money ahead of time. Beyond that, the
most important part is knowing for sure who's coming. If you don't know
for sure, we can't help that. But you can keep me posted with your
plans, such as where you plan to stay, what rides you will do, and how
many/what sizes of shirt you're interested in.

For everyone else, registering ahead of time mostly saves time and
hassle on ride days. I will have to have signed releases from everyone
before we start, and the less of those we have to deal with in the
morning, the better.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

paco
September 9th 03, 09:50 PM
Dylan Wallinger wrote:
> *Jeez, I am totally broke. I dont know If I'll be able to make it, but
> I'm still hoping.*

I hope that you can make it. I'd really like to see you again, now that
I know who you are. :D At Moab, I was totally clueless.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sometimes crap works fine.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

jpcycler
September 9th 03, 10:48 PM
I'm hoping to make it. Probably 75% certain at this point. Looking
forward to seeing those I met at NAUCC again, as well as meeting the
rest of you.

Jerry

--
jpcycler - Always learning
jpcycler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/936

myocardial
September 10th 03, 01:45 AM
Its official!!! Put my form and money order in the mailbox today. CAN'T
WAIT FOR SOME BULLDOG SLOBBER!

Training is going well. I was a little concerend in the beginning about
going but just like everything related to unicycling, something clicked
on Sunday and I started riding down stuff I would have hiked over
before. With some intense training over the next month I think i'll be
up to par.

matt

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

jagur
September 11th 03, 08:21 PM
i would like to know more about the Sweatshirt option on the reg.
form.

does it have a hood?

what color are they?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

johnfoss
September 11th 03, 11:58 PM
Sweatshirts/T-shirts:

We haven't settled on a design yet. One idea John Hooten is toying with
is a variation on the California flag, with a bear riding a unicycle.
But we haven't determined the details, including shirt color. They won't
be yellow.

Sweatshirts will be the "regular" kind, meaning long sleeves and plain
collars like a common sweatshirt. Colors and print should be the same as
the T-shirts, though we may try mixing things up a bit.

In 2000 and 2002 I think we only made 1 or 2 dozen sweatshirts, and they
did not sell out at the event. So far this year there are only two
requests for them...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

jagur
September 12th 03, 06:10 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *In 2000 and 2002 I think we only made 1 or 2 dozen sweatshirts, and
> they did not sell out at the event. So far this year there are only
> two requests for them... *
so are you implying that they may not be an option this year due to poor
sales in the past?

as for colors,i would like to vote for dark red or deep blues and even
black,colors that dont stain easy.no whites or light pastels.Olive drab
is my personal favorite but most people hate that color.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

paco
September 12th 03, 07:59 AM
jagur wrote:
> *as for colors,i would like to vote for dark red or deep blues and
> even black,colors that dont stain easy.no whites or light
> pastels.Olive drab is my personal favorite but most people hate that
> color. *

I personally like grey sweatshirts, but it don't matter too much. I
like dark blue as well, and I just sent off my request for a sweatshirt,
so that makes one more.
So John, how many do we have so far that are definitely coming (ballpark
figure)?

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sometimes crap works fine.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

jagur
September 17th 03, 09:58 AM
Gene and I will be getting to the friday location about 4 O'clock in the
afternoon,is the park small enough to search down a pack of unicyclists?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

teachndad
September 18th 03, 04:57 AM
Wow, this looks like one awesome MUni weekend. It would be fun just to
go and watch with all the "names" there. Definately some awesome riders
to watch.

Won't make it this year, birth too close to the riding date to leave.
Have a great time you guys!:D

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to
compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to
reach challenging goals. - Sir Edmund Hillary

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

paco
September 18th 03, 07:53 AM
teachndad wrote:
> *Won't make it this year, birth too close to the riding date to
> leave.*

So let me get this straight... you've been posting on unicyclist.com
-from inside the womb-!? Will wonders never cease... :D

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sometimes crap works fine.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

jagur
September 18th 03, 09:10 AM
paco wrote:
> *
> So let me get this straight... you've been posting on unicyclist.com
> -from inside the womb-!? Will wonders never cease... :D *
HFRkINSHT

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

johnfoss
September 18th 03, 07:02 PM
jagur wrote:
> *so are you implying that they may not be an option this year due to
> poor sales in the past?*
Nope, we're definitely going to make them. I like 'em.
> *as for colors,i would like to vote for dark red or deep blues and
> even black,colors that dont stain easy.no whites or light pastels.*
Unfortunately we may end up with a lighter color. This is because the CA
flag is mostly white. We don't want to print on a white shirt, so that
means a large area of ink. Our printer says he might be able to screen
the white area (so shirt breathes better), but this will work best on a
lighter-colored shirt. Currently we are leaning toward a pale green, but
this has not been decided yet.

I personally don't like real dark colors, like blacks, as it gets real
hot on the trails out here, and shirt color can make a difference. It
shouldn't be so hot in October though. Plus, we had a dark NAUCC (and
Expert) shirt this year.

T-shirt design is narrowing down to an accurate reproduction of the CA
flag, except for the bear, with MUni Weekend 2003 text beneath that. On
the sleeve there will be the little MUni Weekend "logo" like we did last
year. Probably nothing on the back, as there will likely be 4 colors on
the front. For many of us, the back gets covered up by a hydration pack
anyway... :)

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 18th 03, 07:12 PM
paco wrote:
> *So John, how many do we have so far that are definitely coming
> (ballpark figure)? *
Current stats show 29 registrations received. This includes me, but not
other locals like John Hooten, his Troopizi riders, and most of the
usual crew from the Bay area.

In rough order of receipt of registrations: Kevin Gilbertson, Scott
Wallis, Eyal Aharoni, Eric Lancaster, Jerry Gruss, Tony Flusche, Lloyd,
Kyle and Kari Johnson, Tom Holub, Ben Plotkin-Swing, Hans Van Koppen,
me, Rob Bowman, Jeff Groves, Jared, Judith and Joe Stoltzfus, Cliff
Cordy, Scott Berelson, Nathan and Beau Hoover, Grace Fleming, Tom
Acevedo, Matt Wilheim, Jack, Patty and Frank Hughes, and Tim "Paco"
Hadley. Hope his name wasn't a secret!

Others who have told me they are definitely, or most likely coming:
Dustin Kelm, Eric (?) from CT, Ryan Atkins, Joey Cohn, Dan Lucal, Jerry
Perkinson, Jagur Thomas, Gene Bangert, Eric Kvamme, Carl Hoyer, Scott
and Thad Arnold, Tom Blackwood.

Quite the cascade of stars! Come join us if you can.

Is your name missing? If you haven't requested floor or yard space yet,
we're about to reach our limit and cut it off. There is only so much hot
water to go around, and we have to be fair to the people who asked
first.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 18th 03, 07:15 PM
jagur wrote:
> *Gene and I will be getting to the friday location about 4 O'clock in
> the afternoon,is the park small enough to search down a pack of
> unicyclists? *
Current plans have us in one of two Trialsy areas by that time, though
we may also depart the park fairly early as well. I will have some form
of maps posted by then, so you should be able to find us very easily.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

paco
September 18th 03, 08:39 PM
John, it looks like you were the 13th person to register. Were you not
sure whether or nor you could make it? :D
It is no nice being able to remain in contact with everyone involved
with this weekend. I can't imagine how these things were organized
before unicyclist.com.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sometimes crap works fine.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Ken Fuchs
September 18th 03, 08:49 PM
johnfoss > wrote:

>I personally don't like real dark colors, like blacks, as it gets real
>hot on the trails out here, and shirt color can make a difference. It
>shouldn't be so hot in October though. Plus, we had a dark NAUCC (and
>Expert) shirt this year.

Actually, real dark colors, especially black, are the best if you want
to stay cool. The dark colors absorb heat better which evaporates the
sweat better and thus cools our bodies better.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs >

johnfoss
September 18th 03, 09:14 PM
I will have to experiment with Ken's theory some more. I know it's not
Ken's idea, and it carries a lot of weight because you see lots of
desert people wearing black robes & things.

My normal experience is that a black shirt just gets a lot hotter!
However, the sweating situation is different from place to place. In
Minnesota, there is danger of drowning in one's own sweat. It flies
everywhre, and I squeezed out plenty of "helmet juice" on the group
rides at NAUCC. In the drier air of Northern CA, your body's sweat
system works better, because it evaporates very well, dark shirt not
required. Plus, the drier the air, the more intense the sun feels.
Therefore, the hotter a dark shirt will feel.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

muddycycle
September 18th 03, 09:38 PM
> T-shirt design is narrowing down to an accurate reproduction of the CA
> flag, except for the bear, with MUni Weekend 2003 text beneath that.
I hope you are not goig to put the bear on a unicycle.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

harper
September 18th 03, 11:03 PM
Black in the sun is bad. Black in the shade is excellent. It's a
fantastic absorber AND radiator. White in the sun is good because it's a
reflector. In the shade it's not so good because it's such a poor
radiator.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

Klaas Bil
September 18th 03, 11:52 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:39:37 -0500, paco
> wrote:

>It is no nice being able to remain in contact with everyone involved

Oops! Here, just like on a compass, the difference between an N and an
S is 180 degrees! :-)

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Klaas Bil
September 18th 03, 11:53 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:49:11 -0500, Ken Fuchs >
wrote:

>Actually, real dark colors, especially black, are the best if you want
>to stay cool. The dark colors absorb heat better which evaporates the
>sweat better and thus cools our bodies better.

So because the shirt gets hotter it cools us better?

And if I want to cool down I should stay near a heater so that my
sweat evaporates more?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
If the crank is moving then it really sounds as if it's loose. - onewheeldave trying to pinpoint the cause of a clicking crank

Chuck Webb
September 19th 03, 12:06 AM
Would that be before or after labor day?

--
Chuck Webb

I live in my own little world but its ok...they know me here!

Chuck Webb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1450

johnfoss
September 19th 03, 12:26 AM
muddycycle wrote:
> * I hope you are not goig to put the bear on a unicycle. *
Why ever would we do that? :)

It would be the least stupid/silly/frivolous thing this state has done
lately. For this year's shirt quote, if any, I'm tempted to say "This is
what our flag should look like."

BTW, yes, the bear will be on a unicycle, which I somehow forgot to
mention earlier.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

muddycycle
September 19th 03, 12:52 AM
> BTW, yes, the bear will be on a unicycle, which I somehow forgot to
> mention earlier.

I love it!

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

jagur
September 19th 03, 06:00 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Currently we are leaning toward a pale green, but this has not been
> decided yet.*
OLIVE DRAB! Who-Hoo.....anything but yellow white orhot-pink .

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

U-Turn
September 19th 03, 12:59 PM
I think the main thing with the desert nomad clothing that we see in
Lawrence of Arabia and on the news reporting events in Saudi Arabia and
the like is that it is multiple layers of clothing. The layers are
draped to produce huge, flowing air spaces. This configuration
eliminates radiant heat absorption from both above (the sun) and below
(reflection and re-radiation from the sand)whether the cloth is black or
white. A thermocline is created by the delta-T effect between layers.
Moreover, evaporative cooling from the skin is still effective because
the cloth has enough of a loose weave to permit moisture transfer. So
the surface of the skin can still be far lower than ambient, even
neglecting radiant heat.

Anyway, this is what I think when I think about this. When I hiked on
the southern PCT last time I wore short pants and shirt and a very good
'Desert Rhat hat' (http://www.epcamps.com/Desert_Rhat_Cap.html); the
bare arms and legs are good for hiking but not the best for skin
protection. The hat was fantastic and I highly recommend it.

A really good read by a Westerner travelling with the nomads in Saudi
Arabia before Lawrence and WWII is -'Deserta Arabia'
(http://tinyurl.com/nxg8) -, by C.M. Doughty. A friend recommended it
to me years ago. It was a tough read but a memorable, significant point
in my reading life.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

brian.slater
September 19th 03, 02:17 PM
U-Turn wrote:
> *When I hiked on the southern PCT last time I wore short pants and
> shirt and a very good 'Desert Rhat hat'
> (http://www.epcamps.com/Desert_Rhat_Cap.html); the bare arms and legs
> are good for hiking but not the best for skin protection. The hat was
> fantastic and I highly recommend it. *

I prefer the 'Hat-in-a-Bag' (http://www.hatinabag.com/ourhats.htm) with
the 'Bird style' (http://www.hatinabag.com/ourhats_8_detail.htm) being
similar to the Desert Rhat. The Hat-in-a-Bags are lightweight,
collapsible and have -very- wide brims. Excellent shade with the Big
Shade being 18 inches in diameter and a 5 inch wide brim.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

ubersquish
September 19th 03, 02:31 PM
actually, you -don't- want to have better evaporation of sweat. the
evaporation of the sweat -is- what cools you, because it absorbs heat to
do so. if you wear colors to encourage the evaporation of sweat, all
you're doing is making yourself sweat more

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

U-Turn
September 19th 03, 03:04 PM
brian.slater wrote:
> *
>
> I prefer the 'Hat-in-a-Bag' (http://www.hatinabag.com/ourhats.htm)
> with the 'Bird style' (http://www.hatinabag.com/ourhats_8_detail.htm)
> being similar to the Desert Rhat. The Hat-in-a-Bags are lightweight,
> collapsible and have -very- wide brims. Excellent shade with the Big
> Shade being 18 inches in diameter and a 5 inch wide brim. *
Looks pretty good. One nice thing about the Rhat that the Bird seems to
miss is mesh on the sides; when there is a breeze I get a lot of cooling
there. But the wider brim looks like it would be helpful.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Ken Fuchs
September 19th 03, 04:11 PM

(Klaas Bil) wrote:

>So because the shirt gets hotter it cools us better?

The heat the shirt absorbs is transfered to the evaporating sweat. Plus
some of the body heat of the shirt wearer is also transfered to the
evaporating sweat, thus cooling their body.

>And if I want to cool down I should stay near a heater so that my
>sweat evaporates more?

Yes, if your body loses more heat through evaporation (plus heat loss
through radiation of your body and clothes) than your body gains by
being closer to the heater. There should be an optimal distance from
the heater (probably not close to it) to achieve maximum cooling effect.
(Fortunately, we can't choose to be the optimal distance from the Sun.)

Why would one have the heater on, if one is sweating? I'd recommend
turning off the heater and turning on the air conditioner (if there is
one) or the fan. Of course a moving unicyclist simulates the action of
a fan by moving through the air.

Note that there are two ways to increase evaporation, more heat and more
wind.

Also, note that cycling shorts are almost always black, so they absorb
enough heat to evaporate the sweat and thus cool the rider.
Unevaporated sweat cools the body a tiny fraction of an equal amount of
evaporated sweat.

Bottom line:

If you regularly soak a light colored t-shirt with sweat on your rides,
you would be cooler if you wore a black t-shirt (or less effectively a
dark color). Note that is more effective on sunny days.

If you occasionally break a sweat wearing a light colored t-shirt with
sweat on your rides, stick with the light colored t-shirt or better yet
ride harder, sweat profusely and wear a dark t-shirt.

Of course, sweat salts will show up better on the darker t-shirts. Wear
your sweat salts proudly!

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs >

muddycycle
September 19th 03, 05:11 PM
> Of course, sweat salts will show up better on the darker t-shirts.
> Wear
> your sweat salts proudly!

My Roach leg armor has wonderful sweat salts patterns, must be time to
wash them.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

johnfoss
September 19th 03, 05:26 PM
ubersquish wrote:
> *if you wear colors to encourage the evaporation of sweat, all you're
> doing is making yourself sweat more *
I don't think your body's sweating speed is affected by how much it
already sweated (unless you get dehydrated) or by how fast or whether or
not it's evaporating.

But I know what you're saying, you don't need the sweat to evaporate any
faster than what's necessary to keep you feeling cool. Well believe me,
in places like Minnesota in the summertime, when the humidity is high,
anything to encourage evaporation is a good thing. :)

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 19th 03, 05:33 PM
jagur wrote:
> *Olive Drab ! Who-Hoo.....anything but yellow, white or hot-pink . *
Not yellow; we did that last year (in honor of co-organizer Nathan
Hoover). White would be the easiest to print on, but is a bad color for
MUni and usually doesn't look as good as a colored shirt. Hot pink?
Hmmm... :D

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

johnfoss
September 19th 03, 05:34 PM
muddycycle wrote:
> *
> I love it! *
You can order one, even if you won't be at MUni Weekend. Order them in
the next week or two, and you can be assured we'll make enough of them.
We have to order by Oct. 7 at the absolute latest.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Checkernuts
September 19th 03, 05:56 PM
If you start with a wet shirt it makes everything alot cooler from the
start and you dont need to build up a good sweat before you get the
effects of a sweat soaked shirt.

I did this often when I was on Muni rides in northern CA this summer. It
deffenatlly works well. Or if you dont care about the sun/ abrasion
protection a shirt brings going without one feels nice as well.

Chex.

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

See interviews, product reviews, and places to ride, and for all the
latest in the Trials scene
www.momentumbicycletrials.com

Unicycles are welcome dont let the name scare you.
__________________
No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

ubersquish
September 19th 03, 08:30 PM
i know that it doesn't matter how much you've already sweated, but
wearing a black shirt does nothing but use up sweat. it doesn't cool you
off. and if you can't sweat fast enough, it''ll make you hotter

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

onefiftyfour
September 19th 03, 09:01 PM
these are cotton t-shirts, right? i won't be riding with it on, thus
not caring about the sweat efficiency. jeez, sometimes you guys go on
and on about stupid stuff :D ... but it's fun to read

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

jagur
September 20th 03, 06:31 PM
i was thinking of bringing my 20" freestyle uni too.i know this is a
Muni week-end but will anyone else be dorking around on a patch of
pavment with a freestyle uni?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

S_Wallis
September 22nd 03, 08:37 PM
jagur wrote:
> *i was thinking of bringing my 20" freestyle uni too.i know this is a
> Muni week-end but will anyone else be dorking around on a patch of
> pavment with a freestyle uni? *
I don't own a 20". I will be dorking around on the trails on my 24"
muni, then collapsing. If you ride your 20" close to where I collapse I
will certainly watch you and try to learn something.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

jagur
September 22nd 03, 08:46 PM
im only going to ride it on the pavement durring the games or
whatever.if im on the trail,i'll be on the 29er.if i see you callapsed
on the trail i'll say hello but most likely collapse myself just down
the trail.im out of shape for long rides.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

tomblackwood
September 23rd 03, 01:08 AM
jagur wrote:
> *i know this is a Muni week-end but will anyone else be dorking around
> on a patch of pavment with a freestyle uni? *

Well I plan on doing a lot of dorking around, in fact I anticipate
little else. Just won't be doing it on a 20" freestyle. :D

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

jagur
September 24th 03, 07:09 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> Well I plan on doing a lot of dorking around, in fact I anticipate
> little else. Just won't be doing it on a 20" freestyle. :D *
ok,in the J-Fest thread you just said your going may be
questionable..,what gives?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

zach_jucha
September 24th 03, 07:17 AM
i only own a KH20, so that's all i'm bringing...dorking aplenty for
sure.

--
zach_jucha - rediscovering the joy of immolation

-The whole scrotum thing had better be covered well indeed-

- Klaas Bil
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

johnfoss
September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
I will have a couple of 20" freestyle unis around. Most of our games may
end up taking place in trail areas, so don't know if there will be good
pavement nearby. But that's no problem if you have room in the truck.

Zach-jucha -- Did you plan on taking your KH20 on the longer rides, such
as Downieville? That could be a problem. But at the Rockville and Auburn
trails, there are plenty of shorter options you can do, as well as just
"dorking around" and not going on any lengthy trails at all.

Don't forget to register!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
nephew Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

tomblackwood
September 25th 03, 01:44 AM
I think we're losing track of the original subject: dorking around.
Bring any size unis you want or can fit, and it will be good. There will
be dorks everywhere. :D

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

jagur
September 25th 03, 01:53 AM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *There will be dorks everywhere. :D *
maybe less one though,did you say your going may be in doubt?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

zach_jucha
September 25th 03, 01:54 AM
i'm going to be staying with Nathan, i've already talked to him somewhat
about muni weekend stuff. i don't think i'll be doing the long
downieville trail, but i have done some muni riding on my KH20 and it
has worked out well. it's the only working unicycle i have, so i don't
really have much of a choice. if it's not going to work for a ride, then
i just won't do the ride.

i think i should go ahead and call Nathan soon so i can get more
information.

--
zach_jucha - rediscovering the joy of immolation

-The whole scrotum thing had better be covered well indeed-

- Klaas Bil
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

nathan
September 25th 03, 02:01 AM
A 20 inch "Muni" will be totally fine on Friday, reasonably ok on
Saturday and pretty tough for the full Downieville ride on Sunday. Beau
will be there at Saturday and Sunday on his 20", but he's very used to
riding long distances on it (and fast too). He uses 5" cranks by the way
so that he doesn't clip the pedals on turns, but he can still spin very
fast and has enough leverage to climb steep hills.

The good thing about large groups is that the pace is slower - bring
your 20" if that's all you have. We still have to work out an alternate
(shorter) ride for Sunday, but other than that it should be fine.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

zach_jucha
September 25th 03, 02:06 AM
since nathan can apparently read minds i guess that was a lot easier
then calling him.

--
zach_jucha - rediscovering the joy of immolation

-The whole scrotum thing had better be covered well indeed-

- Klaas Bil
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

johnfoss
September 25th 03, 08:19 PM
nathan wrote:
> *We still have to work out an alternate (shorter) ride for Sunday, but
> other than that it should be fine.*
The alternates for Sunday will be either riding the end part of the
trail from the road crossing, or riding from Downieville partway up the
trail, then turning around. There are a couple of different trail spurs
that come into Downieville, so that makes for at least three choices.

More details will follow if I ever get enough time to put up some more
web content! Maps will definitely be available before you all start
leaving home...

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
nephew Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

jagur
September 25th 03, 11:00 PM
ditto,mine sould be there by now and Gene's

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

gerblefranklin
September 26th 03, 02:32 AM
Must still be in the mail. It'd be under "Bevan" as that is my real
name. Hope it gets there soon, as I'm itchin' to be there.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

paco
September 26th 03, 05:55 PM
Looks like we're getting a pretty good turnout! You might want to put
me on the "most likely" list. I have every intention of going, but I
just spent almost all my money on a used car with the intention of
driving there, and it's already giving me trouble. So if I can get the
car running reliably or scrape up enough money to fly, I will definitely
be there. Otherwise, I might not make it. :(
Does anyone know of a cheaper form of transportation to get from Utah to
California than flying? Time is no problem; I can leave a couple days
before if I have to. I just really want to go!

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Here is Luke doing a bit of off-road hand wheel-walking on an eccentric
impossible kangaroo.
-mike.hinson
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

zach_jucha
September 26th 03, 06:56 PM
Has anyone talked directly to Bruce? If so, what's his story concerning
the MUni weekend?

--
zach_jucha - man-machine

-Conceive, Believe & Achieve!
You Can Do It!-

- Tony Little
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Tom Holub
September 26th 03, 07:17 PM
In article >,
paco > wrote:
)
)Does anyone know of a cheaper form of transportation to get from Utah to
)California than flying?

You mean, other than unicycling?
-Tom

jagur
September 26th 03, 07:22 PM
paco wrote:
> [B]Does anyone know of a cheaper form of transportation to get from
> Utah to California than flying?
you souldnt be surprised that a used car cant drive 13 hours without
problems.how much does the Greyhound bus cost?

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

jagur
September 28th 03, 11:27 AM
wouldnt it be cool i didnt go???
:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

XXXXX________________________________________
XXXX________________________________________-\\
XXXXXX_______________________________________\
XXXXXXXX___________________________________\
XXXXXXX_______________________________

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

jagur
September 28th 03, 06:54 PM
wouldnt it be cool i didnt go???
:rolleyes: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

XXXXX________________________________________
XXXX________________________________________-\\
XXXXXX_______________________________________\
XXXXXXXX___________________________________\
XXXXXXX_______________________________

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

zach_jucha
September 29th 03, 03:47 AM
i'm filling out the muni weekend registration form and i have a few
questions. seeing as how i'm taking my KH20 which is the only uni i
have, Nathan has already advised me to do the "other" option(s) for
downieville but what about auburn? there's novice and advanced and i'm
not sure what i should choose. also there has been some question as to
what exactly the "other" options are for downieville, is there any
resolution to that? either way i'm just going to choose the shorter
option on the form.

also since i'm staying with nathans family should i fill out anything on
the housing? i'd have to know what nathan's plans are anyway.

--
zach_jucha - disposable information

-Conceive, Believe & Achieve!
You Can Do It!-

- Tony Little
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

johnfoss
September 29th 03, 07:33 PM
zach_jucha wrote:
> *Nathan has already advised me to do the "other" option(s) for
> downieville but what about auburn? there's novice and advanced and i'm
> not sure what i should choose. also there has been some question as to
> what exactly the "other" options are for downieville, is there any
> resolution to that?*

There is a recent post by me giving a little more detail on the
Downieville ride options. Don't worry about those choices too much,
that's just to give me an idea who wants to do what. For Downievill, I
forgot to mention to people that the shuttle busses cost about $15
(working on negotiating group rates) each for the ride. Or it's a
50-mile round trip to the top of the trail. But this doesn't affect you
if you're on a 20".

> *also since i'm staying with nathans family should i fill out anything
> on the housing? i'd have to know what nathan's plans are anyway. *
I don't know if Nathan has communicated your plans to John Hooten, in
whose house he will be staying. Please indicate on your form that you
will be staying in a house, and mark on there somewhere that you plan to
be with Nathan.

I guess that's about it for floor-sleepers. People who have not
registered yet may need to find motel rooms. I'll have to get this up on
the site as well... :confused:

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

johnfoss
September 29th 03, 07:44 PM
I realized over the weekend that I had not mentioned on the site that
the shuttle service in Downieville is not free. I hope this is not an
entirely unexpected burden. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier; I
thought it was in there.

There are two companies in Downieville providing shuttle rides to Packer
Saddle, the top of the Downieville Downhill. Each charge $15 a head,
with reservations required. I have reserved 27 seats (4 in reserve), and
am seeing what I can negotiate the price down to. Assume $15 for the
moment, but I may be able to work it down to $12. I'll be paying for the
rides, and will need to collect the fees from the people riding in the
busses.

I have estimated we have 33 or more people planning on doing the long
ride, and this does not include people who haven't registered yet. We
have one person who has offered to drive to the top, and I will also if
necessary (giving me an out on that long ride!).

If anyone who previously indicated on their registration that they would
do the long Downieville ride, now doesn't want to ride a shuttle, please
let me know. I have room at the moment to book four more riders to go up
(hogging all remaining space for the 10:00 shuttles), or can reduce our
reservation and not have to pay for extra riders. Thank you.

Watch for two new threads, asking for game ideas and T-shirt slogans.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

tomblackwood
October 2nd 03, 08:06 AM
John, I'm sorry if this is a repeat question. This thread's gettin' a
little unruly in lenght, and a quick scan didn't turn up the answer to
this:

What is the starting time of the riding on Friday? I'm trying to figure
out whether I'd need to fly in Thursday night, or just get a super early
flight on Friday. It's a couple legs from where I am, i.e. need to fly
through SLC or some other hub before getting to Sacramento.

Thanks for any info..... Tom

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

johnfoss
October 2nd 03, 06:47 PM
New stuff to report:

- Housing is basically full. If you have not requested a place in one of
our homes, it may be too late. We're maxing out our hot water, so we
have to be fair to the people who planned ahead :)

- New pages on the site:
http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2003/

- T-shirts have been ordered; 78 of them. Plus 8 sweatshirts. The color
is a pale green. No slogan or phrase on the front.

- Be prepared to pay $12 to ride the shuttles in Downieville. You will
be paying me, and I will be paying for the shuttles.

- Saturday afternoon we will most likely ride in the Granite Bay area of
Folsom Lake.

- Helmets, knee, and hand/wrist protection must be worn for games or
events we award prizes for. Recommended for all other trail riding as
well.

- Floor sleepers: bring a sleeping bag if you have one. Unless you
really do like sleeping on the floor! Blankets and stuff may be
limited.

- Keep those questions coming in, and I'll keep trying to get the
answers out to everyone!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

onefiftyfour
October 2nd 03, 09:45 PM
What is the fitness/ motivation level to complete the DownEvil Ride?
The long one. Who has done it and how long has it taken you? Is this
only for the elite or can the above average hack it?

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

muddycycle
October 2nd 03, 10:10 PM
I came across a description of the Downieville Downhill with some
great(long) video of the trail. Is this the same tail we are taking?
http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike/Downieville_1/

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

johnfoss
October 2nd 03, 10:57 PM
onefiftyfour wrote:
> *What is the fitness/ motivation level to complete the DownEvil Ride?
> *
Mostly you have to be able to handle all that pedaling and braking.
Never done a 15 mile ride? This might be a bad idea. Because the 15
miles *plus* all that downhill is pretty hard. The remoteness of the
trail requires you to be able to finish it, or at least make it to the
road pickup point.

The pace of the ride will not be blazing, because we like to stop at all
the technical spots. There is a lot of rolling, but there are also
several great "watch everybody try it" spots as well, giving slower
riders time to catch up.

If you've never done a 15 mile MUni ride before, you might want to
consider one of the easier options. Remember, Downieville will be the
third day of intense riding in a row (depending on your intensity level,
of course)!

In answer to Muddycycle's question: Yes. That's why we're there!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

S_Wallis
October 3rd 03, 04:05 AM
John, thanks for all the new info. Sounds like quite a weekend! If my
body doesn't let me down it will be a lot of fun. I watched the videos
Muddycycle was talking about, and I will go shopping for a parachute
tomorrow.:eek:
I hurt my knee two weeks ago and while I am able to ride without pain
now, I have no way of knowing how it will be by the third day of riding.
Does it cause a problem if any of us make a "game time decision" on
DownEvil? I guess not, other than still having to pay for the shuttle
ride? I certainly hope to ride it.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

johnfoss
October 3rd 03, 10:23 PM
S_Wallis wrote:
> *I watched the videos Muddycycle was talking about, and I will go
> shopping for a parachute tomorrow.:eek: *
For some reason, I often get only the sound on peoples' video links. I
have DivX and am fairly saavy, so not sure what the problem is. In other
words, I haven't seen those clips. Some of them may be from trails other
than the one we're going to take; there are many trail ridin options up
there.

> *Does it cause a problem if any of us make a "game time decision" on
> DownEvil? I guess not, other than still having to pay for the shuttle
> ride? *
That's it. And even that will not be a problem unless we have less
riders than available shuttle seats. In a perfect world, no one will
have to make the 50 mile round trip to the top.

For your knee, all I can think of is to keep the riding light until MUni
Weekend. If you're having any trouble by the end of Saturday, you may
want to reconsider Sunday, which is the knee-killer. You can always ride
from town.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

myocardial
October 4th 03, 03:20 AM
I'm assuming that arriving on Thursday evening is ok.

What's the latest you would prefer people rolling in on thursday night?
We are trying to work out the logistics on when to leave SB (approx 6-7
hr. drive) and don't want to wear out our welcome on the 1st night :D

We could leave friday morning but it would have to be pretty early/late
and not sure how fun riding would be that day.

matt

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler

Matt Wilhelm
Illustrated One Wheeler
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

<http://www.sbuni.org>
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

johnfoss
October 4th 03, 04:01 AM
Anything up to 11:00 should be fine.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

gerblefranklin
October 4th 03, 05:52 PM
PM or AM??

Also, will DownEvil have any drops that a suzue with monty cranks won't
survive, cuz if so, I'd better start training on my Onza trials. I only
weigh about 110. Thanx.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Jester2000
October 5th 03, 07:26 AM
Whoa, I just read this entire thread... whew.. :p

Any word on if Dan Heaton is coming?
Any word on if Kris Holm is coming?

I can't wait till the 17th!

-Jess Riegel

--
Jester2000 - Can't wait for MUni weekend!!

'[image: http://www.teendanceclub.com/images/jester_trans.gif]'
(http://www.jester.tk)
Check out my website :-)
'Unicycle Jester' (http://www.jester.tk)
Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

Jester2000
October 5th 03, 07:42 AM
[image:
http://www.creativeartist.net/jester/images/uni_tahoe_rock_muni_weekend.jpg]

nathan
October 5th 03, 02:07 PM
Sorry but the latest I heard is that Dan is not coming but is sending
the video. :mad:

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

johnfoss
October 6th 03, 04:47 AM
gerblefranklin wrote:
> *PM or AM??*
11:00 am is my bed time.

> *Also, will DownEvil have any drops that a suzue with monty cranks
> won't survive, *
You can always find drops. It's up to you to decide whether to drop them
or not.

Am I being helpful here? :D

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

tomblackwood
October 6th 03, 06:41 AM
John,

I'm in. Reggie Form and check are in the mail. Will get in 9-ish pm on
Thursday.

From previous posts, it looks like floor space is all gone. I'm going to
looking a room at one of those close-by motels. Anyone still needing
crash/shower space that wants to go in with me, let me know.

Tom

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

tomblackwood
October 7th 03, 02:55 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *New stuff to report:
>
> - New pages on the site:
> http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2003/
>
> - *

John, did something happen to the site? I hit that link, and unless I'm
losing my mind it has less info than the last time I saw it, especially
about the times/specifics on each of the days' rides.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The foam was trimmed using an electric carving knife. An electric
carving knife is great for cutting foam. - John Childs

johnfoss
October 7th 03, 08:00 PM
Nice to know somebody's reading! Yes, I trimmed the homepage because it
was duplicating a lot of the info on the other pages, which were added
later.

Maps to follow, and possibly a photo page, though I may concentrate on
other things because it's a little late for that at this point...
:rolleyes:

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

jagur
October 7th 03, 08:39 PM
if Dan's not going,lets make sure that tape of universe II gets sent
down now before its to late (like now!).a big part of the fun is going
to be eating pizza while watching it on 5 screens as JF said.

i would hate to have that suddenly not be part of the week-end.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

johnfoss
October 7th 03, 09:37 PM
Uh, how you say, OOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!

That's what happens when you make updates to your site both from home
and work. Sometimes if you're not being methodical things get
overwritten.... :p

Try it again.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

jagur
October 9th 03, 09:29 AM
jagur wrote:
> *if Dan's not going,lets make sure that tape of universe II gets sent
> down now before its to late (like now!).a big part of the fun is going
> to be eating pizza while watching it on 5 screens as JF said.. *
oh sorry,im i repeating myself? tends to happen when nobody 10-4's

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

uroboros
October 10th 03, 09:05 PM
My ride arrangements have fallen through. I am hoping to go for the
whole weekend, and would be willing to take the train back from
Sacromento on Monday if I have to, does any body going from the Bay have
room for one more? I live in Oakland and can pitch in for gas. My name
is Mike, by the way, some of you might know me already. Thanks!

--
uroboros
uroboros's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4521

tholub
October 11th 03, 09:56 PM
Mike: I think I met you randomly walking your dog (with your MUni) on
Shafter one night.

Me and Bevin are taking the train up on Thursday night. I'm still
trying to work on some of the other Berkeley guys, but no movement yet.

--
tholub - Taco Man

myocardial
October 12th 03, 03:46 AM
Whats the Poison Oak factor where we're riding? I just got my first
touch of it and me no likey. Guess I missed a spot when I was doing my
after-ride decontamination shower. Has anyone tried adding a bottle of
Tecnu into thier camelbak? I think it might work. It would just force
the urushiol out of your pores!

matt

btw: Please don't try and ingest Tecnu.

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler

Matt Wilhelm
Illustrated One Wheeler
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

<http://www.sbuni.org>
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

Tom Holub
October 12th 03, 05:26 AM
In article >,
myocardial > wrote:
)
)Whats the Poison Oak factor where we're riding? I just got my first
)touch of it and me no likey. Guess I missed a spot when I was doing my
)after-ride decontamination shower. Has anyone tried adding a bottle of
)Tecnu into thier camelbak? I think it might work. It would just force
)the urushiol out of your pores!

Normally there is poison oak all over the forested regions of California.
This late in the year the plants may have started to die back--but that
doesn't matter, because you can still get poison oak from the leaves of
a dead plant.

I advise not falling off.
-Tom

gerblefranklin
October 12th 03, 06:41 AM
Is anyone coming from SF to the weekend??
I went to the local bike shop with my Onza for a camelbak and they said
they had just seen a guy come through with a hunter 24x3.0 who was
hopping onto benches and said he'd be at the muni weekend. If so, I
wanna find him, cuz I need someone to ride trials with me, I'm
desperate!

Thanx.

P.S. Tom, what's up with the muni ride tomarrow? Also, Ashley might end
up driving to the muni weekend thursday night, in which case, I'd get a
ride from her. Later.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

tomblackwood
October 12th 03, 07:15 AM
FYI, I get into Sacramento airport at 8:26pm on Thursday the 16th, and
am planning on renting a car. If anyone's arriving around them, happy to
supply a ride. I'm staying at the Travelodge.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The epitome of Just-Too-Muchery....

tholub
October 12th 03, 04:39 PM
Bevin: I sent you mail, I thought. Training ride at noon today. Send
me mail if you're interested.

--
tholub - Taco Man

gerblefranklin
October 12th 03, 06:31 PM
Just in case...

Tom: if you get this before 11:15am check your e-mail
(non-unicyclist.com) or Personal Messages.

Later.

Edit: I didn't get any e-mail on the ride. Mark forgot to put my e-mail
on the list a week ago.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

johnfoss
October 13th 03, 07:10 PM
Folks,
This is a real long thread, but I'd like to keep using it to keep
everything together. Please use this thread for *public messages about
MUni Weekend.* If you need to communicate with one person only
(including me), please use email or other methods.

RIDES:
Many people are coming to MUni Weekend in carpools or by other methods
and will need rides to the trails. I'm concerned we have too many people
without cars and it might be a problem. If anyone has a car available
and can bring it, please do. Your passengers can chip in for gas!

FLIGHT PICKUPS:
If you need to be picked up from the airport, or are willing to give
people a ride (as Tom Blackwood has kindly offered), please send me your
flight information. Not here, just me (jfoss at unicycling.com). I'll
share it with anyone who is offering to do pickups. I have flight info
for Gilby and a few others, but not sure if I have everyone's Got to go
through all my notes. Send it again to be sure!

MAPS & DIRECTIONS:
If you haven't already seen, the maps and directions pages are now live
on the site (http://www.unicycling.com/muni/2003/maps.htm). I'll be
sending out an email today to get you to either my house or John
Hooten's. Directions to Jess Riegel's house will be provided from
Hootens'.

POISON OAK:
None of the areas we will be riding are major poison oak places, but it
probably exists at least a little bit in all of them. If you have Tecnu,
please bring it along! I'll try to pick some up this week as well. John
Hooten pointed out some poison oak in the Granite Bay area. Even without
leaves, it's just a bunch of sticks protruding onto the fire road in
that area so basically try to avoid contact with plants.

GAMES:
Bring your ideas for games, and we'll set them up based on time and
having enough people to run them. We probably won't have quite as many
as were set up in Moab.

See you all starting Thursday!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Jester2000
October 14th 03, 01:11 AM
I have a 2 tubes of Tecnu also.... I'll have em handy..
One of them is a mini bottle... :)

I get poison oak fairly easily...

-Jess

--
Jester2000 - Can't wait for MUni weekend!!

'[image: http://www.teendanceclub.com/images/jester_trans.gif]'
(http://www.jester.tk)
Check out my website :-)
'Unicycle Jester' (http://www.jester.tk)
Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

johnfoss
October 14th 03, 07:57 PM
Everybody remember, these are Games we're doing, not competitions. They
will only become competitions later, at the Saturday dinner. Until then,
please remember we're only playing games.

I have gone through the ages of the people already registered. Based on
this data I have decided to go with three age groups for I think the
first time in MUni Weekend history. Based on today's data from
registered riders (and a few guesses on non-registered people I know are
coming), I came out with these:

0-18 (15 riders)
19-39 (17 riders)
40 + (15 riders)

Sorry, no ladies' category. The only ladies currently registered are
planning to hike or otherwise not ride. We should have at least three
for it to be a separate category.

The number of games we're able to do will depend on who wants to do
what, as far as running a clipboard, a stopwatch, etc. Most games will
need to be designed and set up, then we can run them if we have the
people. Game locations will be the quarry at Rockville Hills Park, and
at Granite Bay. Plus we'll have the Confluence Uphill at Auburn, and if
people are interested, a gliding "game" on the Granite Bay boat ramp
(paved). MUnis or Trials unis only!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

tomblackwood
October 14th 03, 08:04 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *I came out with these:
>
> 0-18 (15 riders)
> 19-39 (17 riders)
> 40 + (15 riders)
>
> Sorry, no ladies' category. *

So will there be any differentiation within categories between
Intermediate and Expert? I was feeling good for a second or two there
about being in the Geezer class, until I realized that you'd be in there
with me. :rolleyes:

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The epitome of Just-Too-Muchery....

johnfoss
October 14th 03, 08:20 PM
Oh. Make that 15, 16, and 16 riders then. I guessed your age to be in
the 30s... :)

Sorry no skill level divisions. There is no easy way to quantify them.
But rest assured, there should be many prizes. Some will be awarded
randomly, and others will be given out for silly reasons, such as having
the right initials, or registering early, or falling in a spectacular
way, etc.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

tomblackwood
October 14th 03, 08:32 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Oh. Make that 15, 16, and 16 riders then. I guessed your age to be in
> the 30s... :) Rest assured, there should be many prizes. Some will be
> given out for silly reasons, such as falling in a spectacular way,
> etc. *

Yes, people often comment that my lovely red hair makes me look
younger....

Thanks for the new info on prizes.....I'm glad to see at least one
category where I know I can compete hard.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

The epitome of Just-Too-Muchery....

johnfoss
October 14th 03, 10:10 PM
Hi, just a reminder to bring along any VHS tapes you may have of
interesting riding. I've lost my own copies of Universe, Unicycle, and a
few others I might have shown bits of.

Oh, bring DVDs as well, though we probably won't show those at the
Saturday dinner.

I do plan to show Blood, Sweat, and Unicycles, the Amazing Games clip
from UNICON VI, possibly some UMX coverage from UNICON IV (the first
real dirt race I was in), and some other old classics. Maybe we'll show
some of the video from MUni Weekend '02 as well, though we never got the
final edited versions.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

myocardial
October 15th 03, 12:20 AM
If you're coming from SoCal, don't forget to bring an ice chest so you
can take groceries back with you. Looks like the lock out is going to
last a while.

matt

--
myocardial - Tattooed One Wheeler

Matt Wilhelm
Illustrated One Wheeler
Santa Barbara Unicycle Club

<http://www.sbuni.org>
myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

muddycycle
October 15th 03, 02:01 AM
I was wondering if anyone is going to bring stuff to swap. I'm looking
for a 28" yuni frame or some other frame that will fit a 26x3 gazz. I
have a spare Magua break that I could swap, I also have a spare new 26x3
gazz.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

jagur
October 15th 03, 04:59 AM
muddycycle wrote:
> *I was wondering if anyone is going to bring stuff to swap. . *
i plan on bringing some things,even non-uni related stuff like a brand
new messenger bag! oh boy....ive sold most of my uni-crap to pay for
this trip but i sould be able to find a few things.who knows maybe i'll
even swap my muni militia shirt.....

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

jagur
October 15th 03, 06:54 PM
anyone have a solid weather report for the week-end.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-searching for the real one wheel deal,the one that wont but will...
all i ask is one rotation,on this vision of singular creation...-[image:
http://newserver.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albup23/eye_60x_flipped.gif]

nathan
October 15th 03, 07:19 PM
My favorite weather site says this for Sacramento 'Weather Underground'
(http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/Sacramento.html)

Looks great! It's much the same but with cooler temps for 'Downieville'
(http://tinyurl.com/r1xj)

We've been having a fantastic October here with day after day of blue
sky and warm nice temps.

See you in a couple of days! Don't forget your Camelbaks and sun
screen.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

johnfoss
October 15th 03, 08:14 PM
We will no longer be showing Universe II on five screens; just one. But
this is a good thing. The one screen is huge, and it's in the banquet
room at Mark & Monicas. That room was booked at the time we set up our
reservation, but as of today it was available again so we will have a
room to ourselves, with enough room for everybody, and no time limit!
The front room would have been pretty crowded with our expanding
numbers. We're hovering in the low 60's now for # of riders attending.

So, nothing has changed to affect schedules or driving directions. It's
costing us a little more, but I think the event fees (including shirts)
will cover it. Salad, Pizza, and soft drink buffet (all you can eat).
For beer and any other additional items, you can order off the menu or
from the bar, and just pay your server.

If you have anything you would like to donate for prizes, please bring
it along as well. A goodie box is coming from Unicycle.com, but I
haven't seen it yet. I have scrounged up some odds and ends from my life
of unicycling, and we will probably have a few T-shirts and other items.
You're welcome to add something of yours!

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home