PDA

View Full Version : My new Coker! First impressions

GizmoDuck
August 30th 03, 08:53 AM
What a beast!

I got my new Deluxe Coker last night and went for a quick ride today:

First impressions- I coulnd't believe the size of that thing! OK I've
seen Tony and Peters' Cokers but never paid much attention because I
couldn't ride them (seatpost too long). So I lopped off most of my seat
post and had it as low as it would go (I'm 165cm/5'5). My Coker came
with a KH seat and 150mm BE cranks.

I jumped on it, half expecting to fall flat on my face, but I was
pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to mount! And how TALL I was on
it :D It hopped pretty well and felt a lot more stable and less twitchy
than my 29'er.

It took about five minutes to get the feel for the Coker. It
accelerated/decelerated slowly but not nearly as bad as I had
anticipated. In fact- I don't think I'll need to put brakes on- it
seems to stop OK. I rode up some of the steepest streets in my
neighbourhood- it felt rather sluggish because I was not able to crank
up the high cadences of my 29'er. I think I was probably going at a
similar speed though. (And there are some pretty steep streets where I
live). Downhill and the flatter bits was a different matter altogether.
It just hummed along! I see what some of you guys (Mikefule?) mean by
cruise control. I had to ride on the road because I half-expected to
crash into a car backing out of a driveway while riding the footpath
(aka sidewalk).

I stopped at my local bike shop and they were most impressed. I started
off with a 20' and I've since worked my way up 26' 29' and now 36'!
"I hope you don't expect to buy an inner tube from us for that THANG!"

I rode another 5km before it started raining and I had to go home (to
get the washing in- I like riding in the wet :p)

I also did some gentle off-road on it, down this lumpy farm track. It
seemed to soak up all the bumps and roll over everything. Now I know
why Tony Melton and Peter Bier kicked my butt at the last mountainbike
race! They were using Coker+170mmm cranks on a relatively fast course.
I don't think it will be that great for more technical MTB courses but
we should all be much more competitive at this years 'Day/Night
Thriller' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun28) 12hr mountainbike
race.

Ken
Coker Convert
(Yes, I still maintain a 29'er is best for general MUni riding)

--
GizmoDuck - One Wheel Drive

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills

chirokid
August 30th 03, 09:02 AM
Ken, congratulations on your new Coker. It sounds like a very fun ride.
--chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

mkuhfahl
August 30th 03, 03:46 PM
I'm glad you had a good time--I just got mine too, and am having a
similar experience on it... I pretty much just tried normal riding... no
jumping on or off curbs (I assume the wheel can handle that? :) ) or
riding off road but the on road experience was pretty good. As long as
I was moving, it handled very well and I was able to take the hills
without any problem. I did notice that if I tried to change speed fast
that I would have to pull down on the seat a lot more than anything
else...

--
mkuhfahl - Unicyclist
mkuhfahl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4253