PDA

View Full Version : Reverse vision glasses...

Uniwitold
August 30th 03, 01:02 PM
Sombody mentioned of existence of this kind of glasses(?mirors
incorporated). Unfortunately I was not succesful in finding the thread
mentioning the subject.
May I ask for kind advice where to get such an appliance.
In anticipation.
Uniwitold.

--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount !
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

UniBrier
August 30th 03, 03:07 PM
These guys have one that sticks onto the lens.

http://www.cycleaware.com/index.asp

http://www.cycleaware.com/products/view-point.asp

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Danny Colyer
August 30th 03, 06:14 PM
Rowan wrote:
> You can get them from 'Unicycle.com'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=367).

Links to the glasses mounting 3rd Eye. Also available in a h*lm*t
mounting version.

I uses a glasses mounting 3rd Eye on my recumbent (bike) and on my
Coker. I highly recommend it. Not sure it's what the OP was really
after, though. I think he wanted something where the outer edges of the
lenses on the inside are silvered. I bought something similar many
years ago from the jokes section of Boggle (a juggling shop that I
worked in when I was a student). I wouldn't recommend them for riding
in, and I don't know where you might find a pair now. (Of course, a
joke shope might be worth a look).

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Mike Rocks
August 30th 03, 06:23 PM
Here's something different. It is a helmet from England which has a rear
view mirror built into it.
Here is a link ot the site. http://www.reevu.com/

--
Mike Rocks - Vancouver rider

Mike Rocks
Mike Rocks's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1500

Uniwitold
September 1st 03, 10:20 AM
TU very much Gents for the guidance re reverse mirror in the glases.:D
Uniwitold.

--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount !
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

daino149
September 2nd 03, 03:51 AM
While on a 13 mile ride the other day, I was wishing I had some sort of
mirror. On my road bike, I used to have a mirror on the end of my
handle bar. This worked well on my bike, but wouldn't work on my uni at
all. I have tried the type of mirror, which attaches to your glasses,
but it didn't work very well because of the vibration. The last mirror
I tried was one that is glued to the inside of your riding glasses.
These didn't work at all, mostly because of the wraparound nature of my
Oaks.

The solution that I came up with was to hold a mirror. I was thinking
that I could use the one that broke off of my bike when I dropped it.
The mirror is intact and has a nice convex shape, which allows a greater
field of view.

I haven't had a chance to test my idea, so I was wondering if anyone
elsy has tried holding a mirror when they ride.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Adrian
September 2nd 03, 11:28 PM
Always wondered how safe it is to mount a mirror right next to your eye
in this fashion. Even assuming the mirror is shatterproof etc., I'd've
imagined hitting it at the right angle would force the mounting arm into
your eye.

Obviously you're less prone to UPDing though, because you don't have to
look back.

--
Adrian - Experienced Faller Offer
Adrian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4008

john_childs
September 3rd 03, 01:45 AM
Adrian wrote:
> *Always wondered how safe it is to mount a mirror right next to your
> eye in this fashion. Even assuming the mirror is shatterproof etc.,
> I'd've imagined hitting it at the right angle would force the mounting
> arm into your eye.
>
> Obviously you're less prone to UPDing though, because you don't have
> to look back. *

I used a third eye mirror on my glasses back when I was a roadie (road
bicyclist). The mirror works great and makes it MUCH safer to ride on
the side of the road next to traffic. When I was riding my road bike I
wouldn't go on a ride without the mirror and a helmet. I really like
being able to know when a semi truck is going to pass me or if a car is
drifting off the side of the road, if a car is moving over when they
pass or are hugging the fog line, etc. Those are all critical things to
keeping you alive when playing in traffic on a road bike.

I haven't used the mirror while riding my Coker because I don't ride the
Coker on the road with traffic. All my Coker riding is on bike trails.
But if I do get the crazy urge to play in traffic with my Coker I'll use
the Third Eye mirror.

The mirror is stable as long as your glasses fit snugly. The image in
the mirror doesn't bounce around too much. There are helmet mounted
mirrors that stick on your helmet rather than clip on to your glasses.
The helmet mounted ones are more wiggly because the helmet moves around
more than your glasses do so the image in the helmet mounted mirrors
does bounce around more.

The mirror may be a little tricky on a uni because a lot of people bob
their head as they ride. On a road bike your head is still and steady
so the image in the mirror will also be still and steady. I think I'll
have to try the mirror on the Coker once just to see what it's like and
see if I bob my head a lot.

I wouldn't use the mirror on a muni or a mountain bike where you are
more likely to crash on your helmet. Endos on a MTB are very common.
On a road uni (like the Coker) or a road bike you are not going to crash
on to your head so there is very little danger of the mirror arm getting
poked in your eye. Anyways, the mirror arm mount is back behind your
eye closer to your temple so it would take a pretty weird crash to get
it to poke in your eye anyways.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Chrashing
March 3rd 05, 01:15 AM
Has anyone tried these rear view glasses? I'm thinking about trying a
pair.

http://www.tbotech.com/spyglasses.htm

The 'Modern' pair look OK.

--
Chrashing - Just Lucky

Regards,
Chrashing
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

mgrant
March 3rd 05, 03:01 AM
I had heard good things about the 3rd eye mirror that attaches to
eyeglasses. Last summer I got one to use for my Coker commute.
Unfortunately my experience is not as positive as JF and JC.

You see, I wear prescription glasses. In order for the mirror to "see"
behind me it had to be positioned such that my eye had to look outside
of my prescription lens.

Being able to see what's behind you as a big blurry mess is not much
more helpful than not being able to see behind at all.

-mg

--
mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

jagur
March 3rd 05, 06:43 AM
daino149 wrote:
> *
>
> I haven't had a chance to test my idea, so I was wondering if anyone
> elsy has tried holding a mirror when they ride.
>
> Daniel *
ive been wanting to sew somthing like that to the back of my glove.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

pdc
March 3rd 05, 12:54 PM
Ive been wondering about clamping a regular rear view bike mirror onto a
boom like the one below. I guess one UPD and it would be doomed.

| Attachment filename: jc_coker_handle_2.thumb.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/284393|

pdc - self proclaimed Level 3
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

mango
March 3rd 05, 04:32 PM
daino149 wrote:
> *That reminds me of an article I read in a Wired Magazine that talked
> about some guy that made this machine that would take the image from a
> camera and transfer it to your tongue via a matrix of electrodes.
> Apparently it doesn't matter if the image is coming from your eyes or
> somewhere else, your brain will let you see it. I don't have the
> article on me now, but I remember a doc being quoted saying something
> like, it doesn't matter if it's coming from your eyes or your tongue,
> a nerve spike is a nerve spike.
>

> They were looking to use this to help the blind "see" and to help
> pilots get information from their instruments without having to look
> down.
>
> Wouldn’t it be awesome if you could be unicycling and be able to "see"
> what's going on in back of you via a camera and your tongue?
>
> Daniel *

Man thats interesting. I found the article through google cause i really
wanted to read it.
http://tinyurl.com/4stj3

Thanks Daniel.

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

johnfoss
March 3rd 05, 05:31 PM
pdc wrote:
> *Ive been wondering about clamping a regular rear view bike mirror
> onto a boom like the one below. I guess one UPD and it would be
> doomed. *
I don't know what your body's shaped like, but you have to consider
first where your legs will be, and second where the mirror is supposed
to get a look through. I don't think there's a clear shot anywhere in
there.

My old "Excessory Cycle" had a mirror on it. I've attached a picture
below. Unfortunately you can't see the mirror in the photo. It's a
handlebar mirror, of the same era as the rest of the junk on that cycle
(late 70s, early 80s). My how things have changed since then! The mirror
is on the opposite side, approximately where you see the speedometer,
down near the fork crown. It was a rectangular mirror, which I mounted
vertically, snug against the frame just above the crown. No place else
to put one on the cycle and still have it even partially function.

This mirror, though you could see behind you, was not useful. You had to
look straight down to use it, and of course it had to be far enough down
to have a view between your legs. I don't know if this can work on a
Coker.

For mgrant: There must be mirror solutions out there for the millions of
cyclists who wear prescription glasses. I view my glasses-mirror through
my lenses. Of course this is on a pair of $8 sunglasses. I'm sure you
can find a mirror out there that will work with your glasses, though the
narrower your glasses are, the harder it will be for any mirror to get a
view behind your head.

I usually have to adjust my head position to see the road behind me.
When I'm in my "semi-tuck" position, the mirror can't get a clear view
behind me without me moving my head some. Then when I'm sitting up
straight it's a different angle to the road behind me, so I'm used to
the need to "aim" my head slightly to get a good view through the
mirror.

When it comes to helmet or glasses-mounted mirrors, I think you have to
allow for a period of adjustment and experimentation to find the right
position. Give it some time, and patience.

| Attachment filename: acc2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/284454|

johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Danny Colyer
March 3rd 05, 07:14 PM
mgrant wrote:
> I had heard good things about the 3rd eye mirror that attaches to
> eyeglasses. Last summer I got one to use for my Coker commute.
> Unfortunately my experience is not as positive as JF and JC.
>
> You see, I wear prescription glasses. In order for the mirror to "see"
> behind me it had to be positioned such that my eye had to look outside
> of my prescription lens.

I wear prescription glasses (or rather, cycling glasses with a
prescription insert) and get on very well with the 3rd Eye. Initially I
sometimes found that it fell outside the range of my corrected vision,
but after using it every day for a few weeks I was able to reliably
adjust it to fall inside my corrected vision.

I've been using them daily for nearly 2 years now and wouldn't hesitate
to recommend them for recumbent riding or unicycling. Just bear in mind
that they only last about a year before the attachment arm snaps.

I had a Heads Up mirror delivered this morning. I've only used it once
- first impressions are good, but it'll take a few rides for me to
decide whether it's better than the 3rd Eye. The big disadvantage is
that being made for the US market it's designed to mount on the left
hand side, for riding on the wrong side of the road. That's not a
problem with the 3rd Eye, because it just swivels round on a
ball-and-socket joint.

The OP might be interested in the ViewPoint mirror, designed to mount to
the lens of your glasses:

<URL:http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/html/mirrors.shtml>

pdc
March 3rd 05, 09:43 PM
> I don't know what your body's shaped like, but you have to consider
> first where your legs will be, and second where the mirror is supposed
> to get a look through. I don't think there's a clear shot anywhere in
> there.

I think you could put one near the end of a rig like this.

| Attachment filename: jc_coker_handle_b3_1_small.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/284528|

pdc - self proclaimed Level 3
pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160

johnfoss
March 3rd 05, 09:57 PM
Your rig is awesome. I need to set up something along those lines for
mine. I need a rack on the back, and a longer, lower handlebar. I want
to experiment with more aerodynamic riding positions. I imagine I'll end
up with a compromise between aero and not-falling-on-face.

So I guess you meant to extend a mirror way out to the side. Yes, that
would put it in major danger, not only on UPDs, but in average parking
and handling situations as well. I think something on your head will be
much more convenient, and easier to live with.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

weeble
March 3rd 05, 10:18 PM
daino149 wrote:
> *The solution that I came up with was to hold a mirror. I was
> thinking that I could use the one that broke off of my bike when I
> dropped it. The mirror is intact and has a nice convex shape, which
> allows a greater field of view.
>
> I haven't had a chance to test my idea, so I was wondering if anyone
> elsy has tried holding a mirror when they ride.
>
> Daniel *

I recently had more or less the same idea. Mine is one of those little
convex stick-on blind-spot mirrors that goes onto the side mirror of a
car. I pulled the guts out of a broken wris****ch and stuck the mirror
onto the front, so I can mount the mirror on my left wrist. It's not
terribly compatible with coat sleeves and gloves, so I haven't had a
chance to actually use it outside yet, but I tried it in the gym at
MondoFest and it seems like it might at least be better than nothing.
Whether having to hold your arm up in a window-washing position in order
to use the mirror is harder or easier than looking back over your
shoulder remains to be seen.

--
weeble - There can be only one... wheel

==============
Another Joe in MN
Level 2 and holding
==============

weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

Chrashing
March 4th 05, 12:10 AM
Sounds like the 3rd eye works great and there are some interesting ideas
on hand held, or glove mounted mirrors. That watch idea is a good one.

Guess no one has tried these "spy" glasses, I'll order a pair, of
these: http://www.tbotech.com/spyglasses.htm 'modern' and let ya know.

--
Chrashing - Just Lucky

Regards,
Chrashing
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Uniwitold
March 4th 05, 09:28 AM
In september 2003 I got hold of the little mirror which U stick to
glasses.
It has 40 degrees pivot adjustement.
For me it is one more gimmick but proper road unicyclist would like
it.
It gives good vision, no shacking and definitely can improve safety
level.
Although I have imported it from USA it was, OBVIOUSLY, made in China:D

brian.slater
March 4th 05, 07:12 PM
The *-_best_-* rear view mirror I used is the 'Take A Look'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album503/TakeALook) by Bike Peddler.
[image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album503/TakeALook]

Large mirror, not glass
Made, mostly, of metal so it won’t shatter when cold
Can be bent to fit your configuration; just don’t bend the brass tubes
Adjusts easily to -any- position (you can even turn the mirror to face
front!) and then stays there
Doesn’t shake like the others I tried (and trashed with out
replacements)
Will mount on most glasses or any helmet (the funny thing on the left is
the helmet mount, glues on, I've done velcro)
The helmet mount can be moved to another helmet (but not easily) or you
can get other mounts
Left or right side
Can be moved from a helmet to any glasses to any other glasses quickly
without any modifying
About $15(USD)

The only downside is the mirror can get scratched.

MTB reviews at 'Take A Look review'
(http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Extras/product_86204.shtml)

Look for it on the web, I’ve not seen it at a LBS.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Chrashing
March 19th 05, 04:13 PM
I tried the "spy" glasses. http://www.tbotech.com/spyglasses.htm .

It takes just a little getting used to, but they do work. You can check
on traffic with slight turn of the head. I'm planing to continue using
them, I like being able check back for cars.

Before getting these glasses, I had recently been fooled when two cars
approached me from behind and after one went by, I thought that was it.
Although it wasn't that close, it surprised me when I pulled out in
front of the second car. So I like having better vision behind myself.

The biggest problem is that the quality of the glasses is very poor. Of
two pairs, one has a dark streak across the lense, and both have blurry
mirrors on the right lense. Also since they are dark sunglasses, they
are only useful in bright sunlight.

I'm sure that if you don't mind wearing a mirror on the side of your
glasses or helmet that would be a better solution since it would work in
all light conditions and be less blurry. Me, I'm still reluctant to wear
the side mirror, because riding a unicycle looks weird enough without a
mirror sticking out the side of my head.

But I expect that I'll eventually break down and get the side mounted
mirror. It's better than making out like road kill.

--
Chrashing - Just Lucky

Regards,
Ken