PDA

View Full Version : Unicycle in Bicycling Magazine ad

UniBrier
August 31st 03, 06:32 AM
Opened up my October 2003 Bicycling and this was on page 4 from 'Nalgene
Hydration' (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/) .

They should have said no reason for thirst to force you off your
unicycle.

| Attachment filename: ironhorse083003 013.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/159563|

UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

tomblackwood
August 31st 03, 06:44 AM
UniBrier wrote:
> *They should have said no reason for thirst to force you off your
> unicycle. *

There are two other inaccuracies in the ad. First, the Nalgene Hydration
Packs are round, and made of hard plastic with a blue screw on top.
Second, no self-respecting model would be caught on that road on
anything smaller than a Coker....

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

My other brake is my face!

XWonka
August 31st 03, 07:51 AM
can anyone identify the unicycle he's rideing?

--
XWonka - Ed, Edd, & Eddy Watcher

Eddy: "My brother told me that chicks are only moved by one thing -
cash!"

Edd: "That is so superficial, Eddy. Female admirers want meaningful
things like sincerity, respect and good grooming"

Ed: "And Potato Chips!"

XWonka: "And Unicycles!"

XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

johnglazer
August 31st 03, 08:32 AM
Isn't that a 20"?

--
johnglazer - member of the Hell On Wheel gang

Where is Donnie?
johnglazer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3714

Memphis Mud
August 31st 03, 01:49 PM
The art director at the Ad Agency obviously doesn't have a grasp of the
state of Unicycling today.

His/Her inclusion of the silly hat is a visual manafestation of the
cliche'd question: "Hey, are you in the circus?"

If you want to show a sportsman who needs hydration, dress the
unicyclist in full battle gear and put twigs and dirt in his/her teeth
and maybe include some blood!

(My qualifications to rant: I'm a thirsty MUnier in a hot/humid climate
and an ex-art director.)

And besides, if dude feels the wind at his BACK, he's barely moving. On
a flat paved stretch such as that, he should feel the wind in his FACE.
Get moving!!

My perception from the ad is that that particular pedaller doesn't
require the equipment being peddled. I hear "the Circus Song" (Enter the
Gladiators?). Oh look, a cute little unicyler.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Krashin'Kenny
August 31st 03, 02:38 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> There are two other inaccuracies in the ad. First, the Nalgene
> Hydration Packs are round, and made of hard plastic with a blue screw
> on top. Second, no self-respecting model would be caught on that road
> on anything smaller than a Coker.... *

Sorry to correct you Tom, but Nalgene does make a Hydration Pak as
pictured. My daughter has one just like the one in the picture. The 100
oz. paks are available on ebay for less than $30 including shipping.
What a deal!!!!!!!!!!

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

UniBrier
August 31st 03, 03:42 PM
I think that is a Savage Saddle too. Must not had much of a budget.

I left off the bottom of the ad with the packs and bottles illustrated.
Here's the complete one:

| Attachment filename: pict1581sized.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/159601|

UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Carol McLean
August 31st 03, 04:14 PM
I like the ad, probably just because it shows someone on a uni. It's
not the greatest, but I suppose it's a start.

Meanwhile, I hope I am now a [drum roll, please.....]
"real" rider.

Yesterday, I bought a hydration pack! I am so excited! I guess I should
have bought it before yesterday's 8-mile ride. I didn't think I would
need water, but we went farther than I expected.

Luckily, there was an old water pump at one of the parks, and after
several minutes of coaxing, some nice, warm, rust-colored water trickled
out. Ahhh.

But now I have a water pack. I feel so official! I just hope I don't
end up using it as a UPD cushion.

Carol
Minnesota

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

cjd
August 31st 03, 04:48 PM
I agree with Carol that we need to see the glass as half full here.
Nalgene is a maker of serious outdoor gear, and the text makes it sound
like the guy is an athlete undertaking a challenging ride.

The image is weak, but they may not have had many to choose from.

--
cjd - who dat?
cjd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3965

Memphis Mud
August 31st 03, 08:20 PM
cjd wrote:
> *I agree with Carol that we need to see the glass as half full here.
> Nalgene is a maker of serious outdoor gear, and the text makes it
> sound like the guy is an athlete undertaking a challenging ride.
>
> The image is weak, but they may not have had many to choose from. *

That's just it. Ad agencies set up the exact picture they want and shoot
it. That's what art direction is. They set up this shot. Camera angle,
tree, hat.

I guess its something about the ad agency industry and my favorite hobby
of late...and the picture doesn't fit the copy...

it just got under my skin. Its the hat. Lose that hat and the ad works.
That hat is the cliche. Its the stereotype. It belongs in a parade or
the circus. Heck, we do parades...I'd cheerfully where that hat in a
parade. Not on a sports outing. He should be wearing a helmet.

Gotta go. I'm thirsty.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

manic_mark
August 31st 03, 09:17 PM
i could swear that is exactly the same picture as came on one of those
free internet trial discs a while back, i'll try and find it and scan
it.

--
manic_mark - level 3, most of the time

lever (dot) mark (at) ntlworld (dot) com
manic_mark's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1592

paco
August 31st 03, 09:22 PM
Instead of ranting, maybe one of us should take the shot, keep what we
like, and Photoshop a new picture. Or just start over again, keep the
words and the pictures of their products, and make a new ad for them.
That would be nice of us.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Mikefule
August 31st 03, 09:55 PM
That must be a syndicated photograph, because I'm 99% sure it was used
in an advert over here (UK) for (if memory serves) banking services.
Surely no two unicyclists would have trousers like that?

As enthusiasts, we must beware of taking such images of our sport too
personally. If you were a Morris dancer, you would know why. :0(

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

Borges
August 31st 03, 10:16 PM
I've seen that picture before too. It was on a poster advertising a
seminar given by a consulting company (Accenture i think, but I'm not
sure). The text with the picture said something about standing out and
thinking unconvensionally in order to reach your goals.
It looked to be a POS uni (I think I could make out lollypop bearings on
the poster) and it is utterly useless if his goal is much beyond the
tree in the background, so naturally I ignored the seminar.
The poster might still be around on campus, I'll see if I can get one.

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

harper
August 31st 03, 10:26 PM
Carol McLean wrote:
> *I guess I should have bought it before yesterday's 8-mile ride. I
> didn't think I would need water, but we went farther than I expected.
> *

Carol McLean, eight mile ride?

YOU GO GIRL!!

Congratulations.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"Are you OK???" - Just about anyone I've ever ridden with

Carol McLean
September 1st 03, 01:20 AM
harper wrote:

> CAROL MCLEAN, EIGHT MILE RIDE?
>
> *YOU GO GIRL!!
>
> Congratulations. *

Yup, eight miles. Hard to believe, isn't it?

And on my puny uni, too. Just think what I could do on a Coker!

(Faceplant.)

Carol
Minnesota

--
Carol McLean - Likes Pedal Pushers
Carol McLean's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3302

GILD
September 1st 03, 10:26 AM
paco wrote:
> *It's pathetic that I can look at the picture and even venture a guess
> as to the tire's thickness and crank length. I guess I'm becoming a
> fanatic. *

just after the howard stern movie 'private parts' came out, there was
areview in the newspaper
they used a screen shot of the blond stripper sitting (nude) in the
studio with him
i looked at the pic and caught myself thinking 'ooooh, those are
'neumanns!' (www.neumannusa.com) '

that's when i figured i was in the right bussiness

;)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad.
Pablo Picasso

'this will only take a minute...'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm/)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

UniBrier
September 1st 03, 03:23 PM
wobbling bear wrote:
> *this pic is part of an ad library ("getty images") used by many
> people *
'They do seem to like unicycles' (http://tinyurl.com/luul) (Turn the
"clarification feature off).

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Sarah Miller
September 1st 03, 10:39 PM
Memphis Mud > wrote:
> His/Her inclusion of the silly hat is a visual manafestation of the
> cliche'd question: "Hey, are you in the circus?"

I don't think its a hat. I think the rider is wearing a hodie with the
hood down and has brown air. The angle their head is at is such that not
much head is visible above the roll of hood.

I've seen the pic before, In fact It was on my
bedroom wall for a while last year when the Independant newspaper used it
for the cover of a student supplement. I don't know who it is
unfortunatly, looks abit like Alex Howard, but i don't think it is him.

Sarah

--
Union of UK Unicyclists
By and for UK riders