PDA

View Full Version : How long between stops?

Checkernuts
September 3rd 03, 12:13 AM
I was just curious how far/ long people out there went while riding
between a brake on easy to moderate ground?

I rode in Critical Mass Pittsburgh last week and went the 12-13 mile
distance (bit under 2 hrs) (24" wheel gazz tire) non stop it was
difficult but the Viscount seat made it feel real nice :D

So how long/ far do you go between breaks?!?

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

See interviews, product reviews, and places to ride, and for all the
latest in the Trials scene
www.momentumbicycletrials.com

Unicycles are welcome dont let the name scare you.
__________________
No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

harper
September 3rd 03, 12:30 AM
Time is perhaps the indicator rather than distance, oh iron-crotched
one. Your two hours in a Viscount saddle is an impressive feat, indeed.
I can go the first hour non-stop if I have to but after that I stop more
frequently. We went on a 22 mile ride Saturday and stopped constantly
but it wasn't a race against time or each other.

I am wearing a MUni Militia T-Shirt as I type this, by the way. Thanks
again for your artistic contribution to the unicycling community. When I
wear this shirt I am invincible.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

chirokid
September 3rd 03, 06:56 AM
harper wrote:
> *
> I am wearing a MUni Militia T-Shirt as I type this. *

Where can I see a pic of this T-shirt? --chirokid--

--
chirokid

"Unicycling can make you proud then humble in very quick succession."
Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

daino149
September 3rd 03, 07:06 AM
harper wrote:
> *I am wearing a MUni Militia T-Shirt as I type this, by the way.
> Thanks again for your artistic contribution to the unicycling
> community. When I wear this shirt I am invincible. *

Perhaps MUni Militia shorts would be a good idea too then.

I can normally go about ten miles (1:45 - 2:00 hours) on my 24 inch
Stealth Torker/127's. I don't know how much further I could go, but I
plan to find out one day.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Mikefule
September 3rd 03, 07:24 AM
My personal best is a shade over 20 miles (20.05? 32km) in one go,
which took about 1 hour 55. That was on a Coker, Viscount seat, plus
handle.

A typical 'distance ride' starts with approximately an hour without
breaks. After that, breaks get closer and closer together as the day
progresss and my crotch deteriorates.

The Viscount and Miyata seem pretty similar for these long stints in the
saddle.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

rubic
September 3rd 03, 07:55 AM
<< So how long/ far do you go between breaks?!? >>

I can go up to two hours before the first break, based
on a couple of rides, but my preference is probably
to stop more often. After the first long non-stop
period, the breaks are much more frequent.

-Jeff

--
rubic - Unstable Coker Addict

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.

rubic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3956

rubic
September 3rd 03, 07:55 AM
<< So how long/ far do you go between breaks?!? >>

I can go up to two hours before the first break, based
on a couple of rides, but my preference is probably
to stop more often. After the first long non-stop
period, the breaks are much more frequent.

-Jeff

--
rubic - Unstable Coker Addict

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.

rubic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3956

paco
September 3rd 03, 10:29 AM
Wearing cycling shorts (and a MUni militia shirt) generally doubles the
time I can go without stopping, and makes it much nicer. I've found
that to stop the circulation problem, if I ride one-foot for a while or
put all my weight on my KH seat hadle with my arms and lift myself out
of the saddle for a few minutes, I can ride much longer without
stopping. I'd give you actual numbers, but my breaks generally come
with UPD's.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

paco
September 3rd 03, 10:29 AM
Wearing cycling shorts (and a MUni militia shirt) generally doubles the
time I can go without stopping, and makes it much nicer. I've found
that to stop the circulation problem, if I ride one-foot for a while or
put all my weight on my KH seat hadle with my arms and lift myself out
of the saddle for a few minutes, I can ride much longer without
stopping. I'd give you actual numbers, but my breaks generally come
with UPD's.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

harper
September 3rd 03, 04:35 PM
chirokid wrote:
> *
>
> Where can I see a pic of this T-shirt? *

I am modeling the MUni Militia T-shirt and the Tangerine Dream unicycle
'HERE!' (http://staff.washington.edu/gharper/tdream.htm) Hopefully
someone will provide a photo with higher resolution.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

johnfoss
September 3rd 03, 05:46 PM
My road riding is almost all on the way to work, so 8.1 miles. :)

BTW, if anyone wants to print this part and keep it for a reference;
there seems to be a general confusion on how to spell these two words:

Brake/Brakes -- Things that stop you

Break/Breaks -- Taking a rest

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

sockmonster
September 3rd 03, 06:28 PM
Maybe it's because I'm a lightweight, or just the area I live in, but on
my version of long distance rides (the 5 mile loop around the lake), I
can only go 30 minutes before I need a break. But, that's on a stock
Torker seat. By the end of the ride, I'm standing up to save my crotch
any more torture.

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

It is impossible to be scared of someone if they are skipping, or on a
pogo stick.
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Mikefule
September 3rd 03, 06:38 PM
sockmonster wrote:
> *Maybe it's because I'm a lightweight, or just the area I live in, but
> on my version of long distance rides (the 5 mile loop around the
> lake), I can only go 30 minutes before I need a break. But, that's on
> a stock Torker seat. By the end of the ride, I'm standing up to save
> my crotch any more torture. *

Don't knock it. 5 miles is a fair distance; 30 minutes is a fair amount
of saddle time without a UPD. I'd guess that puts you in the top 10% of
unicycle owners worldwide.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

Mandell
September 3rd 03, 11:13 PM
My personal best is only about 15 minutes at a time. :(

I have only been riding for a few months now and I have what I think I
have seen described here as a "foam brick" of a seat.

If I decide to do the gradual replacement approach to unicycle upgrades,
a good seat is number 2 or 3 on the list (after frame/bearings and a new
tire).

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

Mikefule
September 3rd 03, 11:30 PM
Hmmmmm. So you'll upgrade the frame, bearings, tyre, seat... This is
my grandfather's axe: my father changed the handle, and I replaced the
head.

For a basic unicycle, the best cheap and quick upgrades which will make
a real difference to performance are a slightly bigger tyre and grippy
platform pedals. Good grippy pedals are worth an extra 10 - 15 mm on
your cranks when you're off road, and worth their weight in gold if your
shoes are wet.

Of course, all upgrades can be transferred to a new uni later, but it's
an expensive way of doing it.

My Coker is standard except for a different pair of cranks (same length
anyway) and pinned pedals. Occasionally, I swap the seat for one with a
MUni handle.

My 28 is standard except for shorter cranks and better pedals, and
presently has the Miyata seat and post.

My 24 has a slightly fatter tyre (only 1.95, but quite knobbly),
different cranks and better pedals.

It's only the MUni which has been seriously upgraded, with stronger
cranks, much fatter tyre, better pedals, and handle.

The common feature throughout the fleet: the pedals.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

gerblefranklin
September 3rd 03, 11:49 PM
On a good day I can go mabey 6-10 miles up and down hills without a
break. This takes me about an hour to an hour and a half. My biggest
limiting factor is how much water I can carry. The reason is that I have
an ultra soft Miyata airseat, and hills all over the city so I'm very
rarely sitting with my weight fully in the seat. I did the bay to
breakers in about an hour last year too. That was about 7 miles without
any UPDs.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

nathan
September 4th 03, 12:47 AM
Back in 1999 on our first big Coker ride, 44 miles, Bruce and I rode for
11 or 12 miles without stopping - maybe 75 minutes. Lately, I prefer to
ride no more than 10 miles without a break. This way, 60 miles or more
is no problem. In Norway, we would usually stop every 10km (6 miles). I
think we picked that distance because it was easy and easy to measure
with our cyclometers on metric.

Last week, Scot Cooper rode the first 37 miles of 100 without a break.
But he's Scot Cooper...

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

paco
September 4th 03, 12:59 AM
Hey Nathan, how come you use both this name and Nathan Hoover? I
noticed that the other one is you as a guest, which I'm guessing means
you're posting from the newsgroup. Why not just use one or the other?
Just curious.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

If you attempt to fail, and succeed, which one did you really do?
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Cubby
September 4th 03, 04:00 AM
My experience will certainly not be representative of the rest of the
above posters but I rode 3 miles day before yesterday and 2.5 miles this
evening. Longest segment was 3/4 mile with typical segment close to
1/2. At about 6 miles per hour that's not really much time between UPDs
but I've only been at this for 2 months now. I plan on venturing out
for a longer ride this next weekend when I have more time.

I post this because all the dismounts were due to fidgetting or sqirming
in the seat (viscount) trying to find a spot that wasn't rubbing me the
wrong way. I've found I can lift up and reposition myself to some
degree. It helps but within a few minutes I'm lifting up again trying
to find comfort. I wear cycling shorts and have found that wearing an
additional pair of regular shorts over them sometimes helps. Sometimes
not. Depends on the style of short.

I know I haven't been at this for very long but I'm sure that seat
comfort, or lack of, is sapping some of the joy. Are there any
modifications I can try on the viscount seat? Any comments on gel or
sheepskin covers, or something of that nature?

Particulars : Male, 6' 1", 195 lbs, 24 Torker, Viscount seat.

Have a great day,
-Cubby

--
Cubby
Cubby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4275

duaner
September 4th 03, 05:08 AM
Cubby wrote:
> *Are there any modifications I can try on the viscount seat? Any
> comments on gel or sheepskin covers, or something of that nature?
> *

John_childs message in thread
http://tinyurl.com/m6eu
has a whole collection of airseat / gelseat instructions.

Thanks, John.

I actually did a GEL seat conversion of a viscount, figuring I'd not
have to worry about the innertube going flat. I will NOT do a GEL seat
conversion again, with the gel in place it is way to hard to get the
cover nicely glued back in place. Next time I will do an AIR seat
conversion, because putting the cover back on with the innertube
deflated should be quite easy.

Also, search the net for
viscount and airseat and conversion
or
viscount and air and seat and conversion

One of the sites I found this way showed covering the seat with a sock.
This turned out to be very easy to do. It's a nice simple mod if you
find the somewhat tacky surface of the viscount annoying -- in long
pants it probably doesn't matter, but in shorts the tacky surface can
rub painfully on the skin.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

ubersquish
September 4th 03, 06:53 PM
my major limiting factor in how long i stay mounted is how much i have
to move my feet. i constantly need to adjust where my feet are pointing,
and eventually they fall off. ona side note, i get more foot discomfort
than groin discomfort. i guess it's because of the sandles i wear

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

rubic
September 4th 03, 07:31 PM
<< i get more foot discomfort than groin discomfort. i guess
it's because of the sandles i wear >>

You might consider trying Shimano SPD sandals. I use these
for my long-distance bike riding. They have a firmer sole
than normal sandals.

Bike Nashbar has them on sale for $39.99, but only
selected sizes: 39/40, 45/46, and 47/48. Item #SH-SDL.

I've used these (sans cleats) for Cokering, but found I
felt more comfortable with a full shoe in the event of
a UPD.

-Jeff

--
rubic - Unstable Coker Addict

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.

rubic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3956

Klaas Bil
September 4th 03, 11:22 PM
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:46:20 -0500, johnfoss
> wrote:

>Brake/Brakes -- Things that stop you
>
>Break/Breaks -- Taking a rest

Yes, brake if you want a break (if you have a brake, that is). But
don't break it.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker... - Roger Davies

Klaas Bil
September 5th 03, 01:00 AM
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:46:20 -0500, johnfoss
> wrote:

>Brake/Brakes -- Things that stop you
>
>Break/Breaks -- Taking a rest

Yes, brake if you want a break (if you have a brake, that is). But don't
break it.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict