PDA

View Full Version : seatpost size

ubersquish
September 3rd 03, 10:53 PM
i just got two inches chopped off of my seatpost, and i can' believe the
difference in the way i'm riding now. i can freemount a lot more
successfully than before, i can attempt idling, and turning is no longer
something i dread. the three mile ride home from the bike shop was way
easier than going there, and i was already tired and leg-hurty. i just
hope it's still long enough for when i put my 102's on it, or i'm going
to slap myself. many many times

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

gerblefranklin
September 3rd 03, 11:52 PM
If the seatpost isn't long enough with the 102s don't slap yourself, or
go to the bike shop. Just stop by the local hardware store and buy a
cheap pipe cutter. That way you can permanently end the slapping, and
adjust your seatpost length :D .

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Rowan
September 4th 03, 05:09 AM
[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/rauchen/rauchen010.gif]
*pipe cutting*

*Cutting the seatpost again will not make it
longer. Shorter cranks often mean it is more comfortable to have the
seat higher because you do not have to stretch so far at the bottom of
each pedal stroke. Once you have cut a seatpost it is very difficult to
put it back on. With steel you can cut it even more and weld some tube
on the end, but then you are likely to have a lump in the post where you
can't push it down any further. With an aluminium seatpost like a
Thomson there is no going back, and you should only cut it to the right
length the first time, because would not be cheap to start over. I
bought a pipe cutter and it was not cheap either. A hacksaw is many
times cheaper and does a similar job if you can cut straight and clean
it up. The Rothenberger pipe cutter I got had no chance of getting
through the 7mm thick aluminium ends of the Thomson seatpost, I resorted
to the trusty hacksaw to cut it.*

| Attachment filename: pipe cutter.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/160288|

Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home