PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France TV coverage

Erdefen
July 13th 03, 10:20 AM
Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts, first
time it's been done for 30 Years.

Erdefen
--
(Antispam, drop pants to EMail)
All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

Tony W
July 13th 03, 10:53 AM
"Erdefen" > wrote in message
> Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
> closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
> fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts, first
> time it's been done for 30 Years.

Commercial decision?

ITV are showing from 3:30 pm (BST)

Dan Gregory
July 13th 03, 01:25 PM
ARD1 are shoing the whole stage, RAITre starts at 1.30
All the best
Dan Gregory
"Erdefen" > wrote in message
> Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
> closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
> fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts, first
> time it's been done for 30 Years.
>
> Erdefen
> --
> (Antispam, drop pants to EMail)
> All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

Neil D
July 13th 03, 02:35 PM
"Tony W" > wrote in message

> "Erdefen" > wrote in message
> > Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
> > closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
> > fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts, first
> > time it's been done for 30 Years.
>

> Commercial decision?
>
> ITV are showing from 3:30 pm (BST)

Could this be the start of better tv coverage in the future?
If its the stage I think it will be, it might impress the powers that be.

You'd think with all that's available today, someone would be transmitting
audio.
Especially the official tour site.

Erdefen
July 13th 03, 02:39 PM
Dan Gregory wrote:

> ARD1 are shoing the whole stage, RAITre starts at 1.30
> All the best
> Dan Gregory

Thanks for that, unfortunately I cannot receive those 2 channels I have only
Sky dig. Must invest in another sat system, which should I go for, any idea?
Erdefen
(Antispam, drop pants to EMail)
All outgoing Emails checked for Virus with Norton.

lbockhed
July 13th 03, 02:44 PM
"Neil D" > wrote in message

> "Tony W" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Erdefen" > wrote in message
> > > Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
> > > closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
> > > fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts,
first
> > > time it's been done for 30 Years.
> >

> > Commercial decision?
> >
> > ITV are showing from 3:30 pm (BST)
> >

> Could this be the start of better tv coverage in the future?
> If its the stage I think it will be, it might impress the powers that be.
>
> You'd think with all that's available today, someone would be transmitting
> audio.
> Especially the official tour site.

umm they are www.letour.fr

Dan Gregory
July 13th 03, 06:41 PM
"Erdefen" > wrote in message
> Dan Gregory wrote:
>
> > ARD1 are shoing the whole stage, RAITre starts at 1.30
> > All the best
> > Dan Gregory
>
> Thanks for that, unfortunately I cannot receive those 2 channels I have
only
> Sky dig. Must invest in another sat system, which should I go for, any
idea?
I got my FTA decoder at Lidl's and move the dish to and from Astra 2 and
Hotbird depending on what I want to see.
I checked out ITV this afternoon but after they started showing so many
commercial breaks I went back to RAI.
I can't believe ITV would do that to a football match, and net result is I
won't bother watching them in future. The bits I did see showed they hadn't
seen the action I'd seen on RAI either, as they seemed to be at a loss to
who was doing what.. Sad really because there is a huge market of potential
viewers out here if only they realised...
All the best
Dan Gregory

martin
July 14th 03, 05:33 PM
James Hodson > wrote in message >...

> >Why is Eurosport not covering today's most important stage until the
> >closing stages, is there anyone else covering it? Yesterday was
> >fantastic with Veronque winning the yellow and polka-dot shirts, first
> >time it's been done for 30 Years.

The live prog yesterday was fairly annoying, there was more adverts
than actual Tour footage (but it was prime time), well done ITV. Nice
to see the beeb devoting most of the afternoon to 'stenders on such a
busy sporting afternoon, well worth the licence fee.

Victor Meldrew
July 14th 03, 10:03 PM
In article >, Dan Gregory
> writes
>
>I checked out ITV this afternoon but after they started showing so many
>commercial breaks I went back to RAI.
>I can't believe ITV would do that to a football match

Yep, that really ****ed me off too. I've really been enjoying the ITV2
highlights programmes (videoed so I can zap through the ads) but having
stayed in for the live ITV broadcast I only got as far as 10 mins before
I gave up. Just as USP started to pile on the pressure, they cut to
adverts in a live show. Unbelievable!
--
Victor Meldrew

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Victor Meldrew
July 14th 03, 11:36 PM
In article >, Victor Meldrew
> writes
>In article >, Dan Gregory
> writes
>>
>>I checked out ITV this afternoon but after they started showing so many
>>commercial breaks I went back to RAI.
>>I can't believe ITV would do that to a football match
>>
>Yep, that really ****ed me off too. I've really been enjoying the ITV2
>highlights programmes (videoed so I can zap through the ads) but having
>stayed in for the live ITV broadcast I only got as far as 10 mins
>before I gave up. Just as USP started to pile on the pressure, they cut
>to adverts in a live show. Unbelievable!

Anybody else notice the distorted picture on tonight's ITV2 highlights
programme? The adverts were absolutely fine but the TDF stuff had the
edges cut off and everyone was short and fat.
--
Victor Meldrew

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Dave Larrington
July 16th 03, 11:20 AM
James Hodson wrote:

> I don't mind the adverts too much; rather, it's the non-advert
> time-wasting that annoys me. Eurosport are also guilty in this
> respect.

Especially during the late-night ITV1 highlights - I record 'em and get up
early to watch. Lie in tomorrow...

They have their regular ad breaks, but don't show any adverts, just trailers
for next week's James Bond film and Dragnet. I have not the words.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

martin
July 16th 03, 03:53 PM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message >...
> James Hodson wrote:
>
> > I don't mind the adverts too much; rather, it's the non-advert
> > time-wasting that annoys me. Eurosport are also guilty in this
> > respect.

Which begs the question; if there is only enough footage for about 30
mins per day of a 1 hour program the rest of which is filled up with
non-ads, articles about The Devil, bonk bags , emails etc, what must
it be like to watch it live? The ITV hour progs are much better than
the old channel 4 1/2 hour slots; you got about 10 min of actual
footage in those. Don't think I'll be investing in a digibox for next
year. Anyone used the live updates off the web?

Mark
July 16th 03, 03:59 PM
> Anyone used the live updates off the web?

Yes, I have. From the official site.

Mark

Clive George
July 16th 03, 04:21 PM
"martin" > wrote in message
om...

> Which begs the question; if there is only enough footage for about 30
> mins per day of a 1 hour program the rest of which is filled up with
> non-ads, articles about The Devil, bonk bags , emails etc, what must
> it be like to watch it live?

unpopular answer : very boring?

I quite liked the old half hour progs, although the hour ones are ok in the
mountains. I couldn't face watching it live (on TV - the real thing would be
different). Does this make me a heretic?

cheers,
clive

Dave Larrington
July 16th 03, 04:43 PM
martin wrote:

> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> James Hodson wrote:
>>
>>> I don't mind the adverts too much; rather, it's the non-advert
>>> time-wasting that annoys me. Eurosport are also guilty in this
>>> respect.

I didn't actually, that was James, but that's not important right now...

> Which begs the question; if there is only enough footage for about 30
> mins per day of a 1 hour program the rest of which is filled up with
> non-ads, articles about The Devil, bonk bags , emails etc, what must
> it be like to watch it live?

I found it oddly fascinating on the occasion, a few years ago, when I was at
the in-laws - they have Eurosport. It being in Germany, the commentary was
in Foreign, but I'm told that this didn't matter unduly as the German
commentators were "bloody awful".

> Anyone used the live updates off the web?

Yep, have a browser window running to which I return every so often, or
oftener if it's a slow day here in the Nut Mines. I'm getting withdrawal
symptoms today...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Steve McGinty
July 16th 03, 04:53 PM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:21:40 +0100, "Clive George"
> wrote:

>"martin" > wrote in message
om...

>> Which begs the question; if there is only enough footage for about 30
>> mins per day of a 1 hour program the rest of which is filled up with
>> non-ads, articles about The Devil, bonk bags , emails etc, what must
>> it be like to watch it live?
>
>unpopular answer : very boring?
>
>I quite liked the old half hour progs, although the hour ones are ok in the
>mountains. I couldn't face watching it live (on TV - the real thing would be
>different). Does this make me a heretic?

"BURN THE WITCH!"

Regards!
Stephen

Jan
July 16th 03, 07:49 PM
<Snip>
Does this make me a heretic?

> cheers,
> clive

Yes it does!!! :-))

Jan ( Suffering withdrawl symptons today)

---

James Hodson
July 17th 03, 01:34 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:43:48 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
> wrote:

>... but that's not important right now ...

Which reminds me, the film Airplane! is due to begin in a minute or
two.

James

James Hodson
July 17th 03, 01:37 AM
On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:20:26 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
> wrote:

>I have not the words.

I dunno, Dave. That headbanging chap on
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ renders your words