PDA

View Full Version : mtb moab?

clegger
October 21st 03, 05:13 PM
Well.. my company is "forcing" us to take a week vacation prior to the
end of the year... so I thought I would take advantage of that to rage
on some trails in a different part of the country.

I'm from PA, so am used to the XC scene in this area.. and was thinking
of hitting the southwest to experience something different.

I guess I would consider myself a solid "intermediate" rider and am
looking to sharpen my cross country skills on different terrain, and
also try out the downhill scene.

I'll probably be heading out solo.. so some sort of "managed service"
would be preferable.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.....

Thx

BB
October 22nd 03, 12:06 AM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:13:48 GMT, clegger wrote:

> Any suggestions are much appreciated.....

For those of us used to riding in the trees, riding in the Southwest is
extremely fun. Just know your limits. Riding until you're exhausted is a
little dangerous, and the resulting damage can cut your trip short
(speaking from experience). Moab's a beautiful area, but there are
probably better trails elsewhere. Its a fair drive to get there from SLC,
too. You could probably fly into Phoenix cheaper, and be riding that
afternoon.

You don't need to do an outfit ride either. The LBSs have plenty of info.
And you won't be spending all your time waiting on big groups of newbies.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Paladin
October 22nd 03, 02:06 AM
clegger > wrote in message >...
> Well.. my company is "forcing" us to take a week vacation prior to the
> end of the year... so I thought I would take advantage of that to rage
> on some trails in a different part of the country.
>
> I'm from PA, so am used to the XC scene in this area.. and was thinking
> of hitting the southwest to experience something different.
>
> I guess I would consider myself a solid "intermediate" rider and am
> looking to sharpen my cross country skills on different terrain, and
> also try out the downhill scene.
>
> I'll probably be heading out solo.. so some sort of "managed service"
> would be preferable.
>
> Any suggestions are much appreciated.....
>
> Thx

I'd recommend you look at Pete Fagerlin's videos and pictures, and
JD's pictures to decide what you like the looks of, such as Moab,
Fruita, AZ, Tahoe.

I agree with the advice to skip the cattle calls and strike out on
your own. You can always hook up with others at the trailheads.

Idaho, which has some great riding, is finally gettting snow on the
higher elevations, so that would probably be out.

Paladin

GeeDubb
October 22nd 03, 02:22 AM
"clegger" > wrote in message
> Well.. my company is "forcing" us to take a week vacation prior to the
> end of the year... so I thought I would take advantage of that to rage
> on some trails in a different part of the country.
>
> I'm from PA, so am used to the XC scene in this area.. and was thinking
> of hitting the southwest to experience something different.
>
> I guess I would consider myself a solid "intermediate" rider and am
> looking to sharpen my cross country skills on different terrain, and
> also try out the downhill scene.
>
> I'll probably be heading out solo.. so some sort of "managed service"
> would be preferable.
>
> Any suggestions are much appreciated.....
>
> Thx

Arizona has a multitude of rides from Tucson to Phoenix and on to Sedona. A
lot of friendly riders as well. There's even a couple of county parks
which have near dedicated race courses where the mtn bikes get the right of
way, 'slow pokes move over'.

There are a few others here from Phoenix that regularly post with pretty
good info.

Gary

JD
October 22nd 03, 06:11 PM
"GeeDubb" > wrote in message >...
<snip AZ tourism council commercial>
> A lot of friendly riders as well

Sounds like a good reason to avoid AZ. Crowds of grinning idiots
scare me almost as much as circus clowns do.

JD

JD
October 22nd 03, 06:13 PM
clegger > wrote in message >...
> Any suggestions are much appreciated.....

Mohab iz awsum. Dewd, huje hux an waye kewl freeerydin!

JDew

Sorni
October 22nd 03, 06:23 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
m...
> "GeeDubb" > wrote in message
> <snip AZ tourism council commercial>
> > A lot of friendly riders as well
>
> Sounds like a good reason to avoid AZ. Crowds of grinning idiots
> scare me almost as much as circus clowns do.

Kramer reference?

BB
October 22nd 03, 07:06 PM
On 22 Oct 2003 10:11:33 -0700, JD wrote:
> "GeeDubb" > wrote in message >...
><snip AZ tourism council commercial>
>> A lot of friendly riders as well
>
> Sounds like a good reason to avoid AZ. Crowds of grinning idiots
> scare me almost as much as circus clowns do.

I didn't every run into huge crowds of anything when I've ridden there
(granted, it was just South Mountain, and a few years back). And everyone
was pretty damn friendly - I even had a couple of hikers cheer me up a
tough section on mormon loop. Its not a bad thing.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

John Spann
October 23rd 03, 05:27 AM
JD wrote:
> "GeeDubb" > wrote in message >...
> <snip AZ tourism council commercial>
>
>> A lot of friendly riders as well
>

> Sounds like a good reason to avoid AZ. Crowds of grinning idiots
> scare me almost as much as circus clowns do.
>
> JD

Hey now, I can't help looking like that...

John Spann

clegger
October 24th 03, 10:45 PM
BB wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:13:48 GMT, clegger wrote:
>

>>Any suggestions are much appreciated.....
>

> For those of us used to riding in the trees, riding in the Southwest is
> extremely fun. Just know your limits. Riding until you're exhausted is a
> little dangerous, and the resulting damage can cut your trip short
> (speaking from experience). Moab's a beautiful area, but there are
> probably better trails elsewhere. Its a fair drive to get there from SLC,
> too. You could probably fly into Phoenix cheaper, and be riding that
> afternoon.
>
> You don't need to do an outfit ride either. The LBSs have plenty of info.
> And you won't be spending all your time waiting on big groups of newbies.

Thanks for the feedback! I used to live in Prescott while I was going
to school back in '96... before I was into mtb. Used to hike all over
that area tho... lots of options in that state.

clegger
October 24th 03, 10:46 PM
Paladin wrote:

> clegger > wrote in message >...
>
>>Well.. my company is "forcing" us to take a week vacation prior to the
>>end of the year... so I thought I would take advantage of that to rage
>>on some trails in a different part of the country.
>>
>>I'm from PA, so am used to the XC scene in this area.. and was thinking
>>of hitting the southwest to experience something different.
>>
>>I guess I would consider myself a solid "intermediate" rider and am
>>looking to sharpen my cross country skills on different terrain, and
>>also try out the downhill scene.
>>
>>I'll probably be heading out solo.. so some sort of "managed service"
>>would be preferable.
>>
>>Any suggestions are much appreciated.....
>>
>>Thx
>

> I'd recommend you look at Pete Fagerlin's videos and pictures, and
> JD's pictures to decide what you like the looks of, such as Moab,
> Fruita, AZ, Tahoe.
>
> I agree with the advice to skip the cattle calls and strike out on
> your own. You can always hook up with others at the trailheads.
>
> Idaho, which has some great riding, is finally gettting snow on the
> higher elevations, so that would probably be out.
>
> Paladin
Right on.. thanks for the advice.

clegger
October 24th 03, 10:50 PM
GeeDubb wrote:

> "clegger" > wrote in message
>
>>Well.. my company is "forcing" us to take a week vacation prior to the
>>end of the year... so I thought I would take advantage of that to rage
>>on some trails in a different part of the country.
>>
>>I'm from PA, so am used to the XC scene in this area.. and was thinking
>>of hitting the southwest to experience something different.
>>
>>I guess I would consider myself a solid "intermediate" rider and am
>>looking to sharpen my cross country skills on different terrain, and
>>also try out the downhill scene.
>>
>>I'll probably be heading out solo.. so some sort of "managed service"
>>would be preferable.
>>
>>Any suggestions are much appreciated.....
>>
>>Thx
>

> Arizona has a multitude of rides from Tucson to Phoenix and on to Sedona. A
> lot of friendly riders as well. There's even a couple of county parks
> which have near dedicated race courses where the mtn bikes get the right of
> way, 'slow pokes move over'.
>
> There are a few others here from Phoenix that regularly post with pretty
> good info.
>
> Gary

Hey Gary, thanks for the tip. I used to live in AZ (in Prescott, prior
to my mtb days). Thinking back on all the hiking I did while I was
there... I bet there are tons of cool places to ride...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home