PDA

View Full Version : Pumps to fit shocks and forks ?

Gwood
October 24th 03, 06:31 PM
Hi

Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit both
my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?

Tnx

Colin
October 24th 03, 06:58 PM
Hi,

My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up to
approx 100psi (like mine, I weight 170lbs) or more depending on your bike's
setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the Bomber on your wife's bike,
but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi for a
full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for spring/air
fork. Please check the manual for correct air pressure!

I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can go up to
300psi. I use it for my Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.

Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the
fork (both low volume), but it will take you ages to get your tires
inflated.

Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of pump,
high volume & high pressure.

"Gwood" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit
both
> my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?
>
> Tnx

Peter Tønnesen
October 24th 03, 07:04 PM
"Colin" > skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi,
>
> My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up to
> approx 100psi (like mine, I weight 170lbs) or more depending on your
bike's
> setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the Bomber on your wife's
bike,
> but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi for
> full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for spring/air
> fork. Please check the manual for correct air pressure!
>
> I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can go up
> 300psi. I use it for my Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.
>
> Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the
> fork (both low volume), but it will take you ages to get your tires
> inflated.
>
> Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of pump,
> high volume & high pressure.

High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

A 0-300 Psi pump will do the trick for both your shox/forx

Peter

Dave W
October 24th 03, 07:32 PM

> "Colin" > skrev i en meddelelse
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 2 cents worth - your Float R rear shox would need to be pumped up
>> to approx 100psi (like mine, I weight 170lbs) or more depending on
>> your
> bike's
>> setup. I am not sure exactly which model of the Bomber on your wife's
> bike,
>> but refering to the Marzocchi manual, you need only approx upto 45psi
>> for
>> full air fork (usually one side) and not more than 15psi for
>> spring/air fork. Please check the manual for correct air pressure!
>>
>> I would recommend that you get a high pressure pump, those that can
>> go up
>> 300psi. I use it for my Float R and the Marz MX Comp Air ETA.
>>
>> Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as
>> the fork (both low volume), but it will take you ages to get your
>> tires inflated.
>>
>> Also, I learned from the bike shop that basically there's 2 types of
>> pump, high volume & high pressure.
>
> High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps

No, there is a difference. Check it..

http://www.cycletechinc.com/pump.htm

A 0-300 Psi pump will do the trick for both your shox/forx

> Peter

Yep!

Peter Tønnesen
October 24th 03, 07:40 PM
"Dave W" > skrev i en meddelelse
. 3.44...
> > High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps
>
> No, there is a difference. Check it..
>
> http://www.cycletechinc.com/pump.htm

Arhhh, never used one of those. But All forks and shocks has a fairly small
airchamber, so pumps like those is a bit overkill :-)

Always use a "real" shock/fork pump for your...shock/fork :-). I could
imagine that all the air in the tube in the high volume pumps could
misinform you about the PSIs in the fork/shock?

Peter

Dave W
October 24th 03, 08:20 PM

> "Dave W" > skrev i en meddelelse
> . 3.44...
>> > High and low pressure is more like it? (0-100 and 0-300)psi pumps
>>
>> No, there is a difference. Check it..
>>
>> http://www.cycletechinc.com/pump.htm
>
> Arhhh, never used one of those. But All forks and shocks has a fairly
> small airchamber, so pumps like those is a bit overkill :-)
>
> Always use a "real" shock/fork pump for your...shock/fork :-). I could
> imagine that all the air in the tube in the high volume pumps could
> misinform you about the PSIs in the fork/shock?
>
> Peter

agreed. Just using the link to illustrate that there are indeed "high
volume/high pressure" pumps. From air to fuel to oil.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 24th 03, 09:39 PM
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:58:54 +0800, "Colin"
> wrote:

>Note that you can use the high pressure pump for the shox as well as the
>fork (both low volume), but it will take you ages to get your tires
>inflated.

Where did he ask about pumping up tires with a shock pump? <G>

I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for
forks and shocks. I've had others, but I like this one the best so
far.

Barry

Michael Dart
October 25th 03, 02:01 AM
"Gwood" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit
both
> my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?
>
> Tnx

You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one
0-100psi for the fork. Since a small change in air pressure in the fork
makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump doesn't have enough resolution on
the gauge to measure it accurately.

Mike

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 25th 03, 09:26 PM
> I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for
> forks and shocks. I've had others, but I like this one the best so
> far.

I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held
air. Do any shock pumps hold air? Thank God for coil...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 25th 03, 10:11 PM
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 20:26:02 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
> wrote:

>> I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for
>> forks and shocks. I've had others, but I like this one the best so
>> far.
>
>I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held
>air. Do any shock pumps hold air? Thank God for coil...

The Wrench Force holds air fine, but mine is only attached for a few
minutes at a time.

Are you riding around with the pump attached? <G>

Barry

Phil, Squid-in-Training
October 26th 03, 05:58 PM
> Are you riding around with the pump attached? <G>

Of course! They did feature "on the fly" adjustment...

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

jwest
October 26th 03, 08:08 PM
I've been using the Fox pump that came with my superlight for four years
now. It has an adapter that let's it fit screw and non-screw valves and goes
to fairly high pressure - 300psi. The face is just as cracked as the day I
got it and it works fine. The shock, however, is another story. It leaks
air such that I have to fill it for every ride (all five that I have gone on
ths year)... One of these days I'll get a new one and have this one rebuilt
for a spair. It works fine, just doesn't hold air for long. But until I
start riding seriously again, I'll keep pumping up for everyride.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" > wrote in message
> > I'm happy with my $35 Wrench Force shock pump. It works great for
> > forks and shocks. I've had others, but I like this one the best so
> > far.
>
> I have used 3 or 4 off-brand and Marzocchi pumps, and they all never held
> air. Do any shock pumps hold air? Thank God for coil...
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

Bob
October 28th 03, 04:14 AM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> "Gwood" > wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit
> both
> > my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?
> >
> > Tnx
> >

> You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one
> 0-100psi for the fork. Since a small change in air pressure in the fork
> makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump doesn't have enough resolution on
> the gauge to measure it accurately.
>
> Mike

That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as 0-300PSI.
I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine.
Besides, whats a few pounds here and there?

Bob

Michael Dart
October 28th 03, 12:09 PM
"Bob" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Gwood" > wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Wondering if there is a reasonably priced pump out there that will fit
> > both
> > > my Fox Float R and my wife's Marzocci Bomber fork ?
> > >
> > > Tnx
> > >

> > You really need two pumps one 0-300psi to pump up the Fox Float and one
> > 0-100psi for the fork. Since a small change in air pressure in the fork
> > makes a big difference the 0-300psi pump doesn't have enough resolution
on
> > the gauge to measure it accurately.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as
0-300PSI.
> I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine.
> Besides, whats a few pounds here and there?
>
> Bob

I wouldn't give up so easy. I think it really makes a difference.

Mike

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 28th 03, 08:23 PM
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:39:26 -0400, Chris Phillipo
> wrote:

>What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and
>mark the point on it where your shocks are at the presure you want.
>Actually what really, really makes a difference is to mark the amount of
>sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time :)

Right-O!

Most pumps sold for cycling, tire, shock or otherwise don't have very
accurate gauges when compared to a standard.

All you want is a repeatable mark. The numbers aren't really useful.

Barry

Michael Dart
October 28th 03, 09:45 PM
"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .

> > > That is what I thought and bought a Marz 0-100 PSI, but it came as
> > 0-300PSI.
> > > I gave up. An easy sell I suppose. It seems to work just fine.
> > > Besides, whats a few pounds here and there?
> > >
> > > Bob
> > >

> > I wouldn't give up so easy. I think it really makes a difference.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> What really makes a difference is to ignore the numbers on the gauge and
> mark the point on it where your shocks are at the presure you want.
> Actually what really, really makes a difference is to mark the amount of
> sag you want on the shock and pump it up to that level every time :)
> --

No, my point is that with a 0-100psi scale w/2 psi increments) you can make
finer adjustments than with a 0-300psi scale w/10 psi increments. A 2psi
change in a Marzocchi Marathon fork makes quite a difference in the way the
fork rides. And at the 35-40psi range I'm working in barely makes the
needle move on a 300psi gauge.

Mike

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home