PDA

View Full Version : Stanky Creek (Blue Trail)

MPD Blue
October 25th 03, 08:10 PM
decided to burn up some energy and time this morning by exploring the
"Blue Trail" at Stanky Creek before my detail tonight.

The threat of sever weather loomed but I didn't much care. a week of
dealing with idiots trying to run me over while directing traffic,
others arguing with me over why they dont NEED proof of insurance
because they were not at fault in the accident... well it's a good thing
to be able to ride.

The blue trail.... what can I say about it? as compared to the yellow
trail is much tighter, a LOT more twists and turrns... very rarely do
you get the chance to "open up". all you are doing is setting up for the
next turn. sometimes you need to plan two to three turns in advance. I
LOVED IT. it reminded me very much of "Long Trail" at FOMBA. with a
couple of downhill sections just to keep it interesting.

It was so good that when I got done, instead of going on and riding the
Yellow trail, I had to go ride the Blue trail again... it was THAT fun.

So far I have hit the White and the Blue trails. both were finest kind.
I hope the Yellow is as fun.

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

qa2
October 27th 03, 01:00 AM
The yellow is the best of the three. The high point of the white is
that it is the longest. The blue, it is the most technical of the three
but it is short. The yellow, is a combination of both and for some
reason it is just more fun to ride. Do you do any night riding over
there? Me and a bud usually ride on Wednesday nights during standard
time since it gets dark around 5. If you are interested let me know and
I will let you know when we are going to start, hopefully this Wednesday
night. Have you tried Herbs or Lakeland yet? Herbs is about 6 or so
miles long, pretty much all single track. I don't know if it is all
cleared out from the storm yet. Lakeland has a couple of hills that
will remind you of the North. (back in PA, where I come from where there
are real hills) It is short but the hills are fun to ride.
Later
AR

MPD Blue wrote:

> decided to burn up some energy and time this morning by exploring the
> "Blue Trail" at Stanky Creek before my detail tonight.
>
> The threat of sever weather loomed but I didn't much care. a week of
> dealing with idiots trying to run me over while directing traffic,
> others arguing with me over why they dont NEED proof of insurance
> because they were not at fault in the accident... well it's a good
> thing to be able to ride.
>
> The blue trail.... what can I say about it? as compared to the yellow
> trail is much tighter, a LOT more twists and turrns... very rarely do
> you get the chance to "open up". all you are doing is setting up for
> the next turn. sometimes you need to plan two to three turns in
> advance. I LOVED IT. it reminded me very much of "Long Trail" at
> FOMBA. with a couple of downhill sections just to keep it interesting.
>
> It was so good that when I got done, instead of going on and riding
> the Yellow trail, I had to go ride the Blue trail again... it was THAT
> fun.
>
> So far I have hit the White and the Blue trails. both were finest kind.
> I hope the Yellow is as fun.
>

> --
> John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
> http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

qa2
October 27th 03, 01:02 AM
Are you the bicycle officer down around Elvis Presley Blvd?

MPD Blue wrote:

> decided to burn up some energy and time this morning by exploring the
> "Blue Trail" at Stanky Creek before my detail tonight.
>
> The threat of sever weather loomed but I didn't much care. a week of
> dealing with idiots trying to run me over while directing traffic,
> others arguing with me over why they dont NEED proof of insurance
> because they were not at fault in the accident... well it's a good
> thing to be able to ride.
>
> The blue trail.... what can I say about it? as compared to the yellow
> trail is much tighter, a LOT more twists and turrns... very rarely do
> you get the chance to "open up". all you are doing is setting up for
> the next turn. sometimes you need to plan two to three turns in
> advance. I LOVED IT. it reminded me very much of "Long Trail" at
> FOMBA. with a couple of downhill sections just to keep it interesting.
>
> It was so good that when I got done, instead of going on and riding
> the Yellow trail, I had to go ride the Blue trail again... it was THAT
> fun.
>
> So far I have hit the White and the Blue trails. both were finest kind.
> I hope the Yellow is as fun.
>

> --
> John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
> http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

MPD Blue
October 27th 03, 02:40 AM
qa2 wrote:
> The yellow is the best of the three.

I'm glad to hear that!

>The blue, it is the most technical of the three but it is short.

Best to ride it twice then, eh?

> Do you do any night riding over there?

Not yet.. been waiting for the clocks to roll back and my wife to ship
me my "night helmet" (skateboard helmet with 25 Watt Pencil Point
spotlight on top ;-)

> Me and a bud usually ride on Wednesday nights during standard
> time since it gets dark around 5. If you are interested let me know and
> I will let you know when we are going to start, hopefully this Wednesday
> night.

Ohh bummer.... I have some C.J. classes at SWTCC On Mondays and
Wednesdays. No can do till the semester is over. Thanks for the invite
though

> Herbs is about 6 or so miles long, pretty much all single track.

I have not been there yet, time has been kinda short for the past few
months and I've been taking all the OT I can get. I hope to get there
this coming Sunday.

MPD Blue
October 27th 03, 02:45 AM
qa2 wrote:

> Are you the bicycle officer down around Elvis Presley Blvd?

Negative. I have not finished probation yet. But I'm told that as soon
as I do I have a spot on Bike Patrol waiting for me, if I want it ;-)

How great is that? Get paid to ride Beale St. Bunny hopping the
drunkards, dodging tourists, chasing down panhandlers....

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Fredzep
October 28th 03, 05:42 AM
MPD Blue wrote:

> The threat of sever weather loomed but I didn't much care. a week of
> dealing with idiots trying to run me over while directing traffic,
> others arguing with me over why they dont NEED proof of insurance
> because they were not at fault in the accident...

I had to go to court on a traffic violation some years back. The company
vehicle I was driving had a brake light out and no inspection sticker,
when I gave my license it had expired by less than a week without my
realizing it. This required a court appearance. The thing that amazed me
was that the majority of violations in that crowded court room were for
driving without insurance (1 year suspended license plus fines).

MPD Blue
October 28th 03, 11:23 AM
Fredzep wrote:
> he thing that amazed me
> was that the majority of violations in that crowded court room were for
> driving without insurance (1 year suspended license plus fines).

I used to be amazed by this myself.... Now I almost EXPECT that 1 out of
every 2 vehicles will have no insurance in Memphis, it's ridiculous!

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home