PDA

View Full Version : Trek Fuel 80 vs. Giant NRS 2

William Smith
October 27th 03, 12:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the Trek Fuel 80
and Giant NRS 2. I am looking for a good full suspension bike for $1,300 or
less and at the moment these are my two favorite options. The Giant rode
better in tests but due to the Trek being a 2003 model closeout I can get it
for $873 which seems to be a great price for a bike of that caliber. Any
feedback on these two bikes or others that match the criteria I am looking
for would be greatly appreciated.

MTBScottie
October 27th 03, 01:42 AM
Test the bikes yourself and see how they feel for you. I have ridden many
bikes over the past three years in the NRS series and can say that the rear
suspension is all that Giant claims it is.

comcast
October 27th 03, 03:27 AM
consider Gary Fisher Sugar 4

"MTBScottie" > wrote in message
> Test the bikes yourself and see how they feel for you. I have ridden
many
> bikes over the past three years in the NRS series and can say that the
rear
> suspension is all that Giant claims it is.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 27th 03, 12:25 PM
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:44:53 GMT, "William Smith"
> wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the Trek Fuel 80
>and Giant NRS 2.

They ride very differently. One acts more like a hardtail, the other
is slightly plush, if I can call 3" travel "plush".

Ride them both _off-road_, and buy what works for your style. Your
homework is to figure out which is which.

Barry

Penny S
October 27th 03, 03:54 PM
William Smith spray painted on a boxcar:
> I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the Trek
> Fuel 80 and Giant NRS 2. I am looking for a good full suspension bike
> for $1,300 or less and at the moment these are my two favorite
> options. The Giant rode better in tests but due to the Trek being a
> 2003 model closeout I can get it for $873 which seems to be a great
> price for a bike of that caliber. Any feedback on these two bikes or
> others that match the criteria I am looking for would be greatly
> appreciated.

You won't get a "good" FS at that price, you will get an "OK" one that is
heavy and has a lot of low end components. I suggest you look at a really
nice HT in that price range.

Penny

Jonesy
October 27th 03, 07:01 PM
"Penny S" > wrote in message >...
> William Smith spray painted on a boxcar:
> > I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the Trek
> > Fuel 80 and Giant NRS 2. I am looking for a good full suspension bike
> > for $1,300 or less and at the moment these are my two favorite
> > options. The Giant rode better in tests but due to the Trek being a
> > 2003 model closeout I can get it for $873 which seems to be a great
> > price for a bike of that caliber. Any feedback on these two bikes or
> > others that match the criteria I am looking for would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> You won't get a "good" FS at that price, you will get an "OK" one that is
> heavy and has a lot of low end components. I suggest you look at a really
> nice HT in that price range.

Maybe not good, but "acceptable."

I almost bought the Fuel 80, because it felt good to ride. In the
end, maintenance issues swayed me. And because it's REALLY tough to
get a bare Fuel 80 frame (since I had all the other parts.) I don't
think it would be possible, without some real finagling, to make the
Fango a $1.3k bike. $1.5k is the minimum, and yer gonna have a Deore
spec, and a low-end Bomber from '03.

The entry-level Fuel is OK, but if you can swing for the Fuel 90,
you're getting more bike for the dough. As an entry-level FS, the 80
isn't too bad. I prefer it to the Giant, but only because the Giant
didn't seem to work as well for me. Personal preference, IOW.

IIRC, Adrenaline Bikes is selling Marin TARA bikes for about the money
he's talking. A decent range of bits, a good frame, decent fork (not
great.) A step up from the Fuel, sez me.
--
Jonesy

E-mail me: rfjonesy *at* hotmail *dot* com

Westie
October 29th 03, 03:23 AM
"Penny S" > wrote in message
> William Smith spray painted on a boxcar:
> > I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on the Trek
> > Fuel 80 and Giant NRS 2. I am looking for a good full suspension bike
> > for $1,300 or less and at the moment these are my two favorite
> > options. The Giant rode better in tests but due to the Trek being a
> > 2003 model closeout I can get it for $873 which seems to be a great
> > price for a bike of that caliber. Any feedback on these two bikes or
> > others that match the criteria I am looking for would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> You won't get a "good" FS at that price, you will get an "OK" one that is
> heavy and has a lot of low end components. I suggest you look at a really
> nice HT in that price range.

I'm gonna have to disagree with part of that, Penny. I had an '03 NRS2 and
I was more than happy with the frame, the suspension and the ride. I was
never happy with the Shimano mech disc brakes and the Skareb fork broke
twice but with a mix of LX, Avid, Raceface, Skareb, and Titec components I
would have hardly called it 'low end' components on the bike. The NRS2
shared the same frame and rear shock as the NRS1. Nor was it heavy.
I would certainly consider it to be a good FS with fair and reasonable
components. If he can pick up an '03 model for USD$1300 that's a good deal
according to my currency converter!
I certainly agree with you when you say that he would get a nice hardtail
(especially if it's in that $873 range).
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home