PDA

View Full Version : Frame/Bracket

JJuggle
November 25th 03, 04:56 AM
On a Yuni frame how does one know that the screws that attach the bottom
bracket to the frame are properly but not overly tightened?

The wheel seems to be nicely centered in the frame. And the whole thing
seems to be snug.

This is my first time assembling the frame to the hub/wheelset thingies.
:)

Seems to be right, but I just want to be sure before I start doing the
hopping I plan for the new beast.

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Rowan
November 25th 03, 06:42 AM
I read somewhere (maybe a FAQ) that to check if your bearing housings
are not overtightened, you spin the wheel slowly and let it come to a
stop. Careful not to catch your fingers between the cranks and the
frame! If it spins freely and takes a while to slow down it should be
fine. If the wheel stops prematurely the bearings might be overtightened
a bit, squeezing them. Apparently it is harder to detect in heavier
wheels that have more rolling momentum, but you should be fine. Just use
your instincts and don't use excessive force. If you can feel the wheel
move side to side in the frame, then the bearing housings might need to
be tighter, and you might want to use Loctite if they worked themselves
loose. Have fun on your new Yuni beast Raphael.

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Klaas Bil
November 25th 03, 08:26 AM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:56:24 -0600, JJuggle
> wrote:

>On a Yuni frame how does one know that the screws that attach the bottom
>bracket to the frame are properly but not overly tightened?

They should be so tight that the wheel JUST spins freely. Turn the uni
upside down and spin the wheel repeatedly, adjusting all the while. Do
left first, then right, or the other way around, but not at the same
time.

The 'spinning freely' quality should not be taken too literally, it is
a gradual thing. There should be /some/ non-freeness otherwise the
nuts will drop off during your ride. Been there.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"My butt has a crack in it , but I can still ride. - spyder"

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home