PDA

View Full Version : North Shore in the back yard!!!

zod
November 25th 03, 04:26 PM
I have a trail I have been building in my woods for the last year, but
it is short and boring so me and my buds started building some stunts.
Basically we are going to turn the whole trail system into one stunt
after the next. One big rhythm section of North Shore!!!

Here's some vids we took of one we call "The Deer Stand" Now we are all
mountain bikers and I am the only one who unicycles. I am not good
enough to hit something like this on the mUni......I'd eat dirt for sure
so I stuck to my bike for these shots..

Here's a vid of me hitting the stunt for it's maiden ride. I wasn't too
concerned that it would break b/c we built it like a tank, but I was
concerned about UPD'ing on camera!
http://tinyurl.com/whmf

Here's a buddy of mine giving it a go.....we call him Mr. Tiles
http://tinyurl.com/whmg

Here's my 2nd run...
http://tinyurl.com/whmh

Not a very unicycle friendly stunt, but many of them will be!

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

john_childs
November 25th 03, 04:41 PM
zod wrote:
> *Not a very unicycle friendly stunt, but many of them will be! *

What's not unicycle friendly about that stunt? I'd be willing to ride
it on a muni.

The only sketchy part for me would be the uphill ramp at the beginning
of the stunt. Steep uphill skinnies are difficult for me. Bikes have
an easier time on uphill ramps because they can maintain momentum. The
other sketchy part is getting the right pedal position at the end for
the drop, but that just means that I need to practice doing drops like
that from different pedal positions.

Looks like fun stuff.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

zod
November 25th 03, 06:30 PM
The uphill ramp is what I am refering to mainly, it's a little steep,
not that I don't think people couldn't get up it. it's just that it
exceeds my current abilities. Plus I suck on teeters on a uni.......but
practice makes perfect I guess. Still I think I'll practice on one of my
teeters that *isn't* 4.5 feet off the ground ;)

The end would be a little tricky for me to, the quick spool drop gives
you little time to get your pedals positioned the way you would want
them, as you pointed out!

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

UNI GUY
November 26th 03, 04:54 AM
Hey zod,, go for it on the MUni !!
I was only unable to go to work for 3 days last week due to
failing to complete a skinny sort of like what you guys have..

--
UNI GUY - UNICYCLING OBSESSED
UNI GUY's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4084

XWonka
November 26th 03, 08:48 AM
I like it a whole lot. True, the uphill bit would be hard. You would
wobble a bit getting up it making falling off on that part a big
possibility.

I found the vids to be really sweet, narrated in a very "yoopers-esque"
way, and containg too many wheels. :D

--
XWonka - thought that blonde Lois was hotter

Sig lines are stupid anyway....
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

zod
November 26th 03, 12:16 PM
Hey xwonka, don't let the southern accent scare ya......us wheeled rebs
are pretty nice guys ;)

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

zod
May 24th 04, 02:18 PM
Well, myself and a friend (Mr. Tiles) finished up a new section of North
Shore this weekend. We have been working on it for a few weeks now.
Short of a little bit more sturdying and a couple more entrance/exit
ramps the first LOOP of Esher South is complete. It's 300+ continuous
feet of elevated bridge and skinnies. Because it loops you can stay off
the ground indefinitly! There will be a few skinnies and maybe a teeter
that will pass thru the middle of the circle but then we'll move on to
the next section which will roll off the back side of this loop and
further back into my woods. It will progressively get more advanced thru
different sections. Eventually we plan to have over one mile of
multidirectional stuff just like this! I haven't hit it on the uni yet.
I have very little experience on North Shore stuff on one wheel, but now
I have the perfect learning area! Here's video of Mr. Tiles doing two
laps of it on his mtn bike! This video is 16megs so beware dial-up
folks.

http://tinyurl.com/2lco8

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

duaner
May 25th 04, 11:49 AM
zod wrote:
> *Well, myself and a friend (Mr. Tiles) finished up a new section of
> North Shore this weekend. ...
> http://tinyurl.com/2lco8 *

Nice. I am curious, it looks like most of the supports are just
vertical posts with a cross piece on top (with no side/diagonal
bracing). How did you do this and still have sufficient sideways
strength? Did you just use a post hole digger, put the post in, and
fill with dirt? Or something else? How deep are the posts buried?

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

zod
May 25th 04, 12:11 PM
duaner wrote:
> *Nice. I am curious, it looks like most of the supports are just
> vertical posts with a cross piece on top (with no side/diagonal
> bracing). How did you do this and still have sufficient sideways
> strength? Did you just use a post hole digger, put the post in, and
> fill with dirt? Or something else? How deep are the posts buried? *

Thanks, all of our supports are 12 plus inches in the ground, we dug the
holes with post hole diggers and then once the supports were in place we
packed the dirt back in with a few homemade heavy duty tamps. There
really is no need for diagonal bracing in this section, the tallest post
are only about 4 or so feet out of the ground. Plus the soil here is
clay based so once you tamp the dirt back down around the post it's
almost like cement. I will probably throw some bracing on some of the
taller sections for good measure though.

Now in other sections of my yard we made sure to use diagonal bracing
b/c somethings are much higher off the ground. For instance, this drop
we call the Squirrel Pelt is a 12+/- foot drop and at the end of the
bridge you are a good 6 to 7 feet in the air.

[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/albus81/Tiles_squirrel_pelt.jpg]

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)