PDA

View Full Version : Sedona Arizona Muni trip

nathan
November 26th 03, 04:36 AM
Scot Cooper and his girlfriend Desiree invited us to stay with them in
Sedona last weekend and sample the Muni rides there. Scot had tried it
out last year and recommended it highly.

We drove in from Phoenix arriving after dark Thursday and so couldn't
see the area around Sedona. In the morning, it was clear and sunny and
what a sight! Red towers and beautiful cliffs and spires all around
town! We linked up 3 trails Friday which took about 4 hours. Megumi and
Desiree hiked along enjoying the scenery and shooting some photos. The
riding was very enjoyable, with technical sections, but nothing super
extreme. Some steep climbing but not too long or tiring. The temp was
perfect, warm and nice. The resort we stayed in had a great bar with
pool tables and Beau was legal until 10pm, so we played for 3 hours!

Saturday we did a slightly shorter ride, the Broken Arrow trail out to
Chicken Point. There's a 4WD jeep trail right nearby and quite a bit of
riding on slick-rock so it reminded me of the SlickRock Trail in Moab
last March. It was windy and cooler, but clear and nice. We saw only one
MTB rider the whole day plus several hikers. In the late afternoon, we
drove over to a nearby town where Megumi was the featured storyteller at
the local "Tellabration", an annual world-wide StoryTelling Festival. In
the evening, Beau demanded a chance to get even with us in pool and
promptly won 3 games.

Sunday we did another 3 1/2 hour ride that was just fantastic. Varied
terrain, technical sections, gorgeous scenery in all directions plus
nice weather. But the highlight was visiting one of Sedona's famous
Vortexes. These are areas of great metaphysical power supposedly. I've
only been to the one, but it sure looked magical when we saw it...across
the river, looking from pure shade into gleaming orange sun light,
seeing hundreds of small rock towers (one to five feet tall), carefully
constructed beside a beautiful river. It was too much for me: I just had
to go over but there was no crossing. We found one spot where you had to
wade only a few steps, but the water was two feet deep, fast and cold.
The tree branches we grabbed for handholds were encased in ice. But it
was worth it and we spent some time adding on to the towers and building
some new ones as well as just feeling the peaceful power of the place.
Funny exchange: Scot sees a dry well-dressed couple wandering around:
"How did you get here?" Woman: "From the carpark, just over there".
Obviously you didn't have to do 3 miles of Muni and cross an icy river
to get there.

After the ride, we met up with my cousin Becca, now a doctor in Zuni,
New Mexico. We went up to the Sedona Chapel and found a secluded spot
for a picnic lunch that was just great. The chapel is up on a hill,
overlooking the valley, with great looking red cliffs all around.
Definitely check it out if you're there. After lunch, we headed down to
the Bike and Bean store nearby, chatted with some riders, then packed
our bags, blasted 90 minutes to Phoenix and flew home.

We were thinking it might be fun to have a Muni Weekend in Sedona, but
I'm not really sure. It would be difficult to pull off without a local
doing some of the organizing. Cheap places to stay don't seem to abound,
and while gorgeous and fun, the trails are probably not as technical and
maybe not as plentiful as around Moab. Still, if you're ever going
anywhere near Sedona (and not in summer), I would recommend several days
there riding - you won't regret it.

Has anyone else ridden around Sedona?

'Here are some photos'
(http://community.webshots.com/album/101771836Jawyiy)

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

zach_jucha
November 26th 03, 12:50 PM
Wow, that sounds really cool Nathan. I checked out the pictures and it's
a good thing you didn't come to Tucson or you'd have a worse impression
of Arizona... I want trees, haha. No, but I really wish we had some
riding like that over here, I guess I'll just have to scope it out. Next
time I hope I can come along, or maybe I'll just have to find all of the
trails around here and start my own MUni weekend, haha. Anyway, thanks
for the story and pictures, looks and sounds like you had an awesome
trip.

- Zachary

--
zach_jucha - coming to a town near you

-Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Frank A.
November 26th 03, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the write up and the photos Nathan. I've never been out west
and east coast guys like me never get to see stuff like that.
Looks like some great riding and a good time. Beau is having some
childhood isn't he?
Unfortunately, my son's interest in MUni has diminished and he doesn't
come out riding with me anymore. He's 15 and his interests lie elsewhere
these days. Seeing the photos of you and Beau remind me of some really
good times I've had riding with my son. I'm going to have to get him
back out there.
Thanks again.

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

aspenmike
November 26th 03, 02:27 PM
Nice story Nathan, reminds of the old days. I went to school in
Flagstaff and spent tons of time in the Sedona/Jerome area. It is like
southeast Utah, with the red cliffs, spires, etc. It is quite overgrown
now unfortunately, as most nice places are. Did anyone point out blowjob
rock to you? A classic sight to see in the area for sure. That whole
area including Flagstaff has some fantastic MUni and Cokering, northern
AZ. abounds with outdoor wonders. I also think that a MUni festival
would be hard to pull off there. Did you go up the switchbacks at the
end of the oak creek canyoun? Your story made me want to be there, it
is along with Crestone, Co. one of the most spiritual places to be.
Thanks for the bringing back the memories!

| Attachment filename: mike coker top of oak creek canyon.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175041|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

S_Wallis
November 26th 03, 03:32 PM
Sounds like a great time, and the pictures are awesome. Thanks for
sharing that. I agree that that type of scenery has some spiritual
aspect to it.

Riding 3 miles of muni and crossing an icy river beats driving to the
same spot anyday. We prefer the path of most resistance, don't we?

Scott Wallis

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

johnfoss
November 26th 03, 05:15 PM
Beautiful shots! Here's a picture of a MUni Weekend vortex some of you
may remember.

| Attachment filename: unihengeb.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175057|

johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"In three months or so, he won't be doing that any more." -- Kris Holm's
cousin Derek, 13, on Kris' unicycling now that he's married

wobbling bear
November 26th 03, 05:21 PM
nathan wrote:
> *We went up to the Sedona Chapel and found a secluded spot for a
> picnic lunch that was just great. *

at that same place I saw that running bird made famous by the
Will-E.Coyote Cartoons (is chaparral the name?)
amazing

bear (unable to catch the bird)

--
wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

nathan
November 26th 03, 05:22 PM
Mike, I agree about you that Sedona is too built up. Supposedly it was
the off season there, but every parking spot downtown was taken, cars
and people driving everywhere. The highways streaming cars in both
directions. It's like the Bay Area - people are naturally attracted to
nice places. I think the real off-season has to be summer though. It's
perfect there now.

About the X-rated rock formation - YES we saw it, and I even heard a
rumor that some women's group was proposing that it be blasted?! Is the
world crazy or what?

And yes we rode those switchbacks up to the road after crossing Oak
Creek. I managed it no dismounts but it was on the edge of what is
possible for me anyway.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

S_Wallis
November 26th 03, 05:28 PM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Beautiful shots! Here's a picture of a MUni Weekend vortex some of
> you may remember. *
Cool, John. One could almost guess the year by the seats and tires on
those "munis".

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Klaas Bil
November 27th 03, 02:14 PM
nathan wrote:
> *About the X-rated rock formation*

Don't click 'this link' (http://www.sito.org/~lenara/usa98/flag12.jpg)
if you are under 18 :-)

The description is at the bottom of 'this page'
(http://www.sito.org/~lenara/usa98/27.html).

Klaas 'curious' Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

nathan
November 30th 03, 06:33 AM
Yes Klaas, that is the rock formation in question. But didn't you feel a
little strange searching for it via Google?

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Klaas Bil
November 30th 03, 09:31 PM
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:33:24 -0600, nathan
> wrote:

>Yes Klaas, that is the rock formation in question. But didn't you feel a
>little strange searching for it via Google?

Thanks for your concern Nathan :-) I was driven by curiosity as to how
lifelike that rock would look. The Google search supplied plenty of
comparison material, even though I worded it carefully.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like things that are either curved or tapered. - Steve Howard

aspenmike
December 1st 03, 05:25 AM
Yes thats the one, and not only a womens group, but a few of the church
groups thought that it should go as well. Great job on the switchbacks!
Did you see the huge polar bear at the back of the Oak Creek Tavern, my
favorite watering hole back in the day. Have you been to Taos? The Taos
Pueblo would be a one of a kind place to ride. Check out taospueblo.org

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Klaas Bil
December 1st 03, 01:01 PM
nathan wrote:
> *Yes Klaas, that is the rock formation in question. But didn't you
> feel a little strange searching for it via Google?*

Thanks for your concern Nathan :-) I was driven by curiosity as to how
lifelike that rock would look. The Google search supplied plenty of
comparison material, even though I worded it carefully.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442