PDA

View Full Version : Stupid tyre (or maybe stupid me)

jynxzero
November 26th 03, 12:55 PM
Hello all,

Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to get an Onza tyre off of an
Onza (Alex DX-32) rim?

I've been trying to the last hour, and the only thing I've managed to do
is blister my fingers and bend a tyre level.

I've l let down the tube as far as it will go, and gone round the tyre
squeezing out the last bit of air. Starting opposite the valve, I can
(just about) insert a tyre lever and prise out the bead. Then I get
stuck. I can't get another lever under the bead, unless I do it right
next to the first one, which doesn't help because then I can't get
another lever in, or move either of the levers to pull out any more of
the bead. As soon as I take out the levers the bead disappears back
inside the rim.

I can't find any mention in this group or on the net of anyone else
having problems, so I guess I am being stupid somehow, but I can't tell
how.

I want to go out and try my new Onza Sticky FIngers tyre during the only
bit of sunshine we've had in the last week, but I don't think it's gonna
happen. I see the rainclouds coming in already.

TIA,
Jim

--
jynxzero - Wannabe trials rider

--
Jynx Zero
jynxzero's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3458

joemarshall
November 26th 03, 01:34 PM
jynxzero wrote:
> *Hello all,
>
> Is it just me, or is it incredibly hard to get an Onza tyre off of an
> Onza (Alex DX-32) rim?
>
> I've been trying to the last hour, and the only thing I've managed to
> do is blister my fingers and bend a tyre level.
>
> I've l let down the tube as far as it will go, and gone round the tyre
> squeezing out the last bit of air. Starting opposite the valve, I can
> (just about) insert a tyre lever and prise out the bead. Then I get
> stuck. I can't get another lever under the bead, unless I do it right
> next to the first one, which doesn't help because then I can't get
> another lever in, or move either of the levers to pull out any more of
> the bead. As soon as I take out the levers the bead disappears back
> inside the rim.
>
> I can't find any mention in this group or on the net of anyone else
> having problems, so I guess I am being stupid somehow, but I can't
> tell how.
>
> I want to go out and try my new Onza Sticky FIngers tyre during the
> only bit of sunshine we've had in the last week, but I don't think
> it's gonna happen. I see the rainclouds coming in already.
>
> TIA,
> Jim *

push all the bead into the middle of the rim on both sides, this gives
you a bit more slack to get the tyre out.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Simon Miller
November 26th 03, 02:04 PM
Spread a little washing up liquid around the bead in the area your trying to
move over the rim. This will to help ease the tyre out.

Simon

jynxzero
November 26th 03, 05:09 PM
Thanks for replying, guys.

Still had no success. I just can't get the second lever under the bead.
:(

I think I'll have to take it to the local bike shop tomorrow and see if
they can help.

--
jynxzero - Wannabe trials rider

--
Jynx Zero
jynxzero's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3458

Mikefule
November 26th 03, 05:43 PM
I don't know the rim/tyre combination, but:

1) Get as much slack as you can by pushing the beads into the centre,
all the way round.

2) Push the valve in (undo the little lock ring.

3) Lubricate the bead with washing up liquid or similar.

4) Use purpose-made tyre levers, the longer the better.

5) Hook the bead in two places a couple of inches apart before pulling
either lever hard. (i.e. don't get the bead off with one lever, then
try the same with the other; get both levers in position, then do them
almost but not quite simultaneously.

6) Drink more beer.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

A young girl was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth then
rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coastguard spokesman
commented, "This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

hole-in-my-shoe
November 26th 03, 06:02 PM
I seem to remember someone mentioning warming up a close-fitting tyre in
order to get it on a rim. The heat expands the rubber effectively making
the whole tyre bigger. I don't know if this will work for getting the
tyre <i>off</i>. But if you've tried everything else and your fingers
are shredded then maybe it's worth a try. Good luck.

--
hole-in-my-shoe - getting bigger
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

cyberbellum
November 26th 03, 06:19 PM
jynxzero wrote:
> *
> I want to go out and try my new Onza Sticky FIngers tyre during the
> only bit of sunshine we've had in the last week, but I don't think
> it's gonna happen. I see the rainclouds coming in already. *

Someone got the tire on, so somehow it will come off.

The purpose for pushing the tire bead to the center of the rim is that
the center has a smaller radius than where the bead normaly seats, so in
theory this will give you more slack in the section you are trying to
work off. However, theory only meets reality when you work the slack to
the point you are trying to unseat. Once you get about 8 inches of bead
over the rim it's just a matter of persistance.

Failing all that, how badly do you want to go ride your new tire, and
how badly do you want to keep the old tire? If you can get the bead to
show you can cut it with a pair of sharp diagonal clippers. Don't mar
or bend the rim with the clippers, though...

Good luck,

Tim

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be in research...
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

joe
November 26th 03, 06:39 PM
Hey.

I am getting an Onza StickyFingers tyre off santa! :p

I have had my trials tyre off a few time coz of punctures and the like.
I find it a two man job!

Me and my dad have fought with the trials tires for ages!

My dad tends to get one lever at 12 o'clock, and then I get another
lever at 4 o'clock, then prise it out!

Good luck.

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

harper
November 26th 03, 06:59 PM
trinitrotoluene

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

ubersquish
November 26th 03, 07:44 PM
but that is -so- bad for the rim

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

Erin
November 26th 03, 10:06 PM
Silicone lube spray. Wish you lived closer - I've got a whole big can
of it.

Get it at a local auto supplies store. Good for the rubber and just
makes the tire almost lift off on its own.:D

Erin

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"You broke your leg doing WHAT!?"
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

jynxzero
November 26th 03, 11:17 PM
Erin wrote:
> *Silicone lube spray. Wish you lived closer - I've got a whole big
> can of it.
> *

Naah, Bristol is only a short ride from Vancouver. I'd come to you,
but by coker hasn't arrived yet. ;)

Thankyou harper, as usual your reply is amusing, if unhelpful.

And thanks to everyone else, looks like I have a few more suggestions to
try before resorting to the bike shop. It will have to wait till
tomorrow, my girlfriend came home with a puncture on her b*ke so I'm
sick of levering tyres today. :)

Jim

--
jynxzero - Wannabe trials rider

--
Jynx Zero
jynxzero's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3458

cyberbellum
November 26th 03, 11:52 PM
Have you tried pumping it to 250 PSI? The usual failure mode for too
much pressure is having the bead blow off the rim - could be useful in
your case!

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be in research...
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

jynxzero
November 27th 03, 10:58 AM
Halfway there... finally got one side off.

Phew... I need to stop for a cuppa now.

I notice there is an awful lot of flashing around the bead compared to
the new tyre, so maybe that's why it's giving me so much trouble. Maybe
that means the new one will easier to get on.

I hope so.

--
jynxzero - Wannabe trials rider

--