November 27th 03, 01:32 AM
Anyone tried this yet?

| Attachment filename: log muni.gif |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175147|

australia - Wayne van Wijk
australia's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2323

XWonka
November 27th 03, 03:05 AM
I dressed up like a lumberjack once. But then dad started in with "I
have no son, I have no son." and Mom.... well.... mom just stood there.

--
XWonka - thought that blonde Lois was hotter

Sig lines are stupid anyway....
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

supertones
November 27th 03, 03:24 AM
I haven't tried that yet, I can't ride backwards, and you'd need to ride
backwards to get the log to turn forwards. Cause if you pedaled forwards
the log would turn backwards, and then i'd still be going backwards, and
I can't do that.

This is assuming that the log would go in any direction and not just
float there, if it would just float then I could try it and have no
excuse...... oh well......

--
supertones
supertones's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4499

hopeful
November 27th 03, 03:37 AM
no, but i used to ride MUni on a 5 foot giraffe

--
hopeful - Street Performer

a sawzall...!? why not just use an axe. -- Jagur

Long live the Lotus -- Mojoe
hopeful's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4470

James_Potter
November 27th 03, 06:14 AM
I've always wanted to try that log rolling thing on a uni. It might be
wise to try it on my feet first, though.
I tried to MUni on a giraffe once, too. It didn't work too well, and I
didn't try very rough terrain as it was a borrowed giraffe.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *GILBY* hadn't
killed it.-

Sofa
November 27th 03, 12:04 PM
note: trying to use a turned over garbage can as your 'bottom wheel'
(as the log is in the pic) on an asphault parking lot, seems quite
difficult (I never got anywhere with it)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

And there's a picture of a Tunicycle
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

joona
November 27th 03, 02:01 PM
James_Potter wrote:
> *I've always wanted to try that log rolling thing on a uni. It might
> be wise to try it on my feet first, though.
> *

Not necessarily. I think I can almost ride my uni better than walk now
that it's slippery outside. Last night I was riding my uni and a friend
was walking besides me. (So I was riding reaaaally slow) Her feet kept
slipping all the time while I had no problems with my uni.

conclusion: Try everything on your uni, then on your feet.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

josephmcginley
November 27th 03, 05:22 PM
A year and a half ago, a chinese circus visited my home town. In one
act, a lady had a big ball (about 80cm diameter at a guess), and idled
one-footed on her unicycle on top of the ball. Then on her free foot
(the one not idling) she balanced what looked like four cups and
saucers, kicked the lot into the air, and caught them on her head.
Now if she could do it while log rolling, then I'd be impressed...
Seriously though, after seeing her, I bought my first unicycle.

--
josephmcginley
josephmcginley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4060

joona
November 27th 03, 05:34 PM
josephmcginley wrote:
> *
> Now if she could do it while log rolling, then I'd be impressed...
> Seriously though, after seeing her, I bought my first unicycle. *

I guess it would be easier if you were on a log. It doesn't roll as well
as a ball, and it doesn't roll sideways.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

joe
November 27th 03, 05:50 PM
josephmcginley wrote:
> *A year and a half ago, a chinese circus visited my home town. In one
> act, a lady had a big ball (about 80cm diameter at a guess), and idled
> one-footed on her unicycle on top of the ball. Then on her free foot
> (the one not idling) she balanced what looked like four cups and
> saucers, kicked the lot into the air, and caught them on her head.
> Now if she could do it while log rolling, then I'd be impressed...
> Seriously though, after seeing her, I bought my first unicycle. *

Hey,

I saw that circus too!

I heard that that is the only trick she can do on a uni! I dunno if it
is true or not, but if she practices only that, I think it might be!

It still looks good though,

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

australia
November 28th 03, 03:13 AM
I have seen this act done (on video) and the large globe seems to have
been on tracks on the ground (look carefuly as they are not designed to
stand out).

This means that the ball can only roll forwards and backwards, not from
side to side.

Still a very impressive trick though.

Wayne.

--
australia - Wayne van Wijk
australia's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2323

harper
November 28th 03, 07:49 AM
The guy in the cartoon is riding a highly geared up MUni giraffe. I find
that when I ride a log roll in water I prefer a 1:1 geared giraffe with
a standard 20x1.75 tire for control and response. Wider tires help with
the wet bark surface but are sluggish when I do rapid corrections. I
find that I am also unable to one-foot idle the wet log roll with a fat
tire for some reason. Does anyone else have these problems when
spin-riding floating logs?

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

evilewan
November 28th 03, 08:00 AM
are you talking about the one where she rides a 5 foot ish girrafe on a
big (like 1.8m) walking globe?

to me that not even the good bit, i especialy like the part where she
ballances rice bowls on her foot while on foot idling then kicks them up
onto her head. still on to of the big walking globe.

beleive me, its hard enough to do it with a hat when standing.
althogh i know someone who can do it on a unicycle (with a hat)

the walking globe is on a mat that stops it rolling around too much.
i dont remember her riding forward though

its a very nice act.
when i saw them they were here in stirling and they set up the tent next
to the skate park where i go to play, onece i was practicing and two of
the acrobats came over and watched me, when i noticed them i did a bit
of one foot idleing and mimed throwing things from my foot to my head,
they laughed a bit and waved hello.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

XWonka
November 28th 03, 08:23 AM
harper wrote:
> *Does anyone else have these problems when spin-riding floating logs?
> *

:D LOL :D

--
XWonka - thought that blonde Lois was hotter

Sig lines are stupid anyway....
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

joemarshall
November 28th 03, 10:28 AM
australia wrote:
> *I have seen this act done (on video) and the large globe seems to
> have been on tracks on the ground (look carefuly as they are not
> designed to stand out).
>
> This means that the ball can only roll forwards and backwards, not
> from side to side.
>
> Still a very impressive trick though.
>
> Wayne. *

I saw this last year from really quite close up and it seems she's
learnt to do it without the tracks now, just on a thick carpet to stop
it rolling too fast.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

cyberbellum
November 28th 03, 04:45 PM
harper wrote:
> *
> Does anyone else have these problems when spin-riding floating logs?
>
> *

No.

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be in research...
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

UniBrier
November 29th 03, 06:55 AM
harper wrote:
> *The guy in the cartoon is riding a highly geared up MUni giraffe. *
I want royalties! This is clearly stolen from my photograph.

| Attachment filename: harpergearedup.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175542|

UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

James_Potter
November 29th 03, 07:06 AM
Whoa, that is very similar. Except that his back is facing the camera
(or artist, or whatever). Your front is. I guess it's not really you....

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *GILBY* hadn't
killed it.-

treepotato
November 29th 03, 04:12 PM
hmmm... interesting

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

harper
November 29th 03, 08:38 PM
Steve-

Why did you photoshop the logjam out? Who is that fool on the geared
giraffe?

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

muddycycle
November 29th 03, 10:14 PM
[image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albut53/logroll.gif]

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"
Hegira: Greg Bear
muddycycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1283

joe
November 29th 03, 11:11 PM
... haha

Thats more like it! :D

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

harper
November 30th 03, 01:25 AM
Yeah, that's how I remember it. Thanks for correctly reconstructing
that, muddycycle.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

andrew_carter
November 30th 03, 04:52 AM
I've tried it on one of those 10cm diameter logs for a *very* short
time. :) I also tried with one of the logs in front of the wheel and
one beehind but close enough so that I was off the ground. I think I
might have been a bit more successful if I tried idling rather than
riding along. It was good fun.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au