PDA

View Full Version : 661 Leg armor

Eublapharis13
November 27th 03, 03:05 AM
I want to get some 661's and I'm not sure what size to order...... My
leg is like 15" at the top and 8 or 9" at the bottom and I'm 5' 3", Ben
Plotkin-Swing told me to get at least a medium because i want to make
sure they cover all of my knee. so what size should i get?

--
Eublapharis13 - Unicycle destroyer

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

john_childs
November 27th 03, 06:32 AM
The important measurement is from your ankle to the bottom of your
kneecap. The way 661 gives their sizes based on the diameter of your
leg and calf is not the best way to size them. Measure from your ankle
to the bottom of your kneecap and compare that to the length of the shin
section of the 661/Roach/KH pads.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Eublapharis13
November 27th 03, 07:50 PM
So what you're saying is like if the KH leg armor medium size is 5' 3"
to 5' 9" or whatever then order a medium in 661?

--
Eublapharis13 - Unicycle destroyer

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Bruce_Hall
November 27th 03, 08:58 PM
I had the same uncertainty regarding 661 4x4s so I got my hands on all
three sizes. Any difference in length is negligible, but the diameter is
important. I’m not much more than 5’ with 29” inseam but I chose the
medium in the end. I could have got by with the large too. My advice is
not to worry about your height – go ahead and measure the girth of your
calf and thigh, then choose the size that will be plenty big enough.
They are hot, you will sweat, and to wear them loose is far more
comfortable than tight.
Incidentally, I thoroughly recommend this product. Leg armour was way
down my list of upgrades until the morning after a wee mishap. I’ve
always used quite aggressively pinned pedals and I can now attest that
you don’t have to be doing anything spectacular to seriously gore your
shins.

--
Bruce_Hall
Bruce_Hall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4869

GizmoDuck
November 27th 03, 10:21 PM
Welcome to RSU Bruce. Another kiwi on the forum.

Eublapharis:
If you are unsure of the size why don't you go and try one on at your
local bike shop?

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

Eublapharis13
November 27th 03, 10:56 PM
All of my LBS's either don't have leg armor....or the only have like
lizard skins.
That cost $60

--
Eublapharis13 - Unicycle destroyer

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

Krashin'Kenny
November 28th 03, 12:25 AM
I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and weigh 180 pounds. I wear a large in the
661 4x4's and they fit quite well. Being as you're in the USA, check out
www.jensonusa.com. They have the 4x4 leg armor for $20 and the 4x4
forearm/elbow armor (large for me) for $17. I bought both and had them
shipped to Texas for a total cost of $43

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

john_childs
November 28th 03, 01:23 PM
I'm more concerned with the length because I want the armour to be long
enough to reach to my ankle near the top of my shoe. This way the
armour won't slide down my leg as far in the event of a crash. If the
armour is too short the armour can slide dow your leg and expose the top
of your knee during a crash. If the armour hits the top of your shoe it
cannot slide down any further and will keep your knee covered.

The fabric armour like the Roach/KH/661 will tend to stick on the ground
during a crash where you land on your knees. Fabric doesn't slide on
dirt or pavement very well. It has a tendency to stick on the dirt
rather than slide. Since the armour doesn't slide on the ground it
pulls the armour down during a crash. I like my armour long enough so
it can't slide down too far. That's why I consider length to be the
most important measurement.

Armour and knee pads with a hard plastic outer shell are more likely to
slide on the dirt or pavement. They're not as likely to move down your
leg during a crash. Roller blade and skate knee pads have a hard
plastic shell over the knee because the plastic slides on pavement. If
they used a fabric outer shell the pads would stick to the pavement and
slide off the knee during a crash.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

cyberbellum
January 11th 04, 08:45 PM
I've heard good things about the 661 leg armor and so am shopping for a
pair, but I don't know if they make a size that would fit me.

My thigh right above the knee is 22 inches, ankle is 11 inches, so I'm
significantly greater in diameter than a 661 large is supposed to fit
(19 & 9 inches, respectively). Those are tape-pulled-tight
measurements, and my thighs will probably get bigger if I keep
excercising them, so 22 inches is a minimum. (When I was sprinting that
part of my thigh was probably 23 or 24 inches.)

My foot-to-knee distance is 11.5 inches, which, according to my
framebuilder corresponds to someone about 5 feet tall, so according to
John I should get a 661 small.

Any advice on what I could wear for leg armor?

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

daino149
January 11th 04, 11:49 PM
Sorry to change the subject a bit. I was browsing the site Kenny
suggested and I chanced on these: http://tinyurl.com/yppot

I was wondering if anyone has tried them. I don't do much MUni and the
weather here is constantly hot and humid so I'd rather have only shin
protection rather then shin/knee.

Right now I just use soccer shin guards. They are pretty good because
they have ankle protection, but I think it's time to move on to
something better.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

john_childs
January 12th 04, 12:18 AM
Neoprene pads don't breathe at all. Your legs will be drenched under
the Neoprene. For a humid area Neoprene is probably the worse choice.
I tried some Neoprene pads here in Washington state where it is never
humid and I couldn't stand them. Too hot and sweaty even for Washington
state.

The 661/Roach/KH pads are not that hot (especially compared to Neoprene)
and the 661/Roach/KH pads breathe well enough that your legs won't be
completely drenched.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

daino149
January 12th 04, 12:33 AM
john_childs wrote:
> *Neoprene pads don't breathe at all. Your legs will be drenched under
> the Neoprene. For a humid area Neoprene is probably the worse choice.
> I tried some Neoprene pads here in Washington state where it is never
> humid and I couldn't stand them. Too hot and sweaty even for
> Washington state.
>
> The 661/Roach/KH pads are not that hot (especially compared to
> Neoprene) and the 661/Roach/KH pads breathe well enough that your legs
> won't be completely drenched. *

Thanks JC. I guess I won't be getting those. Does 661, KH, or Roach
make any shin guards with out knee pads?

Thanks,
Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

Bonduranto
January 12th 04, 01:13 AM
well, my parents are planning on buying me some leg armor (yay!)
I figure i'm gonna need large (i'm 6'2) but to make sure, what part of
my ankle do i measure from for the bottom-of-knee to ankle measurement?

--
Bonduranto - Awesome(but not at uniing)

I've even passed a Jeep Cherokee stuck in the snow to who's driver I
asked, 'May I suggest putting it into one wheel drive?'
--Sofa
Bonduranto's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4763

Ken Cline
January 12th 04, 03:47 AM
daino149 > writes:

> Thanks JC. I guess I won't be getting those. Does 661, KH, or Roach
> make any shin guards with out knee pads?

As far as I know 661 makes a soft shin only guard, but none of those
companies offer a shin only guard with reinforcement. My Lizard Skins
shin guard [http://www.lizardskins.com/products/protectshin.html] is
made of perforated neoprene with a hard insert for serious front
protection, and it fits under my jeans for those times when i want to
be inconspicuous. Like it's possible to be inconspicuous riding MUni!
Anyway, maybe that's what you're after.

Ken

thinuniking
January 12th 04, 05:50 PM
Are 661's washable I have some and they are getting a little sweaty so
are the washable? what temp to use ect?

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

john_childs
January 12th 04, 10:44 PM
thinuniking wrote:
> *Are 661's washable I have some and they are getting a little sweaty
> so are the washable? what temp to use ect? *

Yes, Please wash them.
I put them in the tub with warm water and use liquid dish soap. Then
rinse them in the tub with clean water. Then hang up to dry.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

john_childs
January 12th 04, 10:55 PM
daino149 wrote:
> *Thanks JC. I guess I won't be getting those. Does 661, KH, or Roach
> make any shin guards with out knee pads?
> *

Roach used to make a shin pad that was basically their leg armour
without the knee protection. It's no longer in their current product
list. There are still some shops that have them in stock. But once
they're gone, they're gone.

'Webcyclery' (http://www.webcyclery.com/) still has them. 'Roach shin
guards' (http://tinyurl.com/28esk)

'Core Rat' (http://www.corerat.com/) also makes a shin guard and they
have an optional fabric calf wrap that covers the back of the calf to
protect your calf from pedal scrapes.

Calf protection is important for me. One reason I like the Roach/661/KH
pads is because of the calf protection. I've got scars on the back of
my calves from when I've ridden without it.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Klaas Bil
January 13th 04, 07:38 AM
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:50:34 -0600, thinuniking
om> wrote:

>Are 661's washable I have some and they are getting a little sweaty so
>are the washable? what temp to use ect?

I put them in the washing machine (for clothes) on the wool washing
program using detergent for colored clothes. 30 deg C I think, and
little movement. Works perfectly.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
What is the world coming to when off-road unicycling is seen as conformist? - Phil

thinuniking
January 13th 04, 04:43 PM
good price i think i might get some as i some times find the full 661
4x4's a little constricting.and what a steal at this price
http://tinyurl.com/2njyr
look at the other shin stuff also in body armour

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

thin_air
January 13th 04, 09:06 PM
Please dont use soccer shin guards there one tenth as effective as real
stuff. Especially the kinds without protection in the back those are
asking for trouble (in my opinion). Dont wait for massive gashes to
covince you to buy real pads buy them now!

--
thin_air - ride the wheel

If you come to a fork in the road...
take it
thin_air's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4504

muniracer
January 13th 04, 09:20 PM
so, if i live in a dorm, with no bathtubs, can i wash them (armor,
gloves) in a washing machine? they smell soooooooo bad.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

john_childs
January 13th 04, 10:39 PM
muniracer wrote:
> *so, if i live in a dorm, with no bathtubs, can i wash them (armor,
> gloves) in a washing machine? they smell soooooooo bad. *

Maybe a front loading washing machine would work, but a top load machine
with an agitator would not be good at all for the armour.

You could get something like a Rubbermaid storage container that is big
enough to hold the armour. You could use it as a small tub to wash your
armour, and when you're done using it as a wash tub you can use it to
store your gear. Or maybe a plastic waste basket would also work?

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Klaas Bil
January 14th 04, 08:02 AM
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:39:17 -0600, john_childs
om> wrote:

>muniracer wrote:
>> *so, if i live in a dorm, with no bathtubs, can i wash them (armor,
>> gloves) in a washing machine? they smell soooooooo bad. *
>
>Maybe a front loading washing machine would work, but a top load machine
>with an agitator would not be good at all for the armour.

I have washed both my 661 4x4 leg protectors and my Harbinger 110G
wrist guards in a front-loading washing machine on the gentlest
program setting without anything else in the machine. Only once so
far. They came out very well.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I have a feeling you might need two points of contact with the ground for such a thing to work? Or at least training wheels on the front and rear. - John Foss commenting on a picture of a one-wheeled vehicle he saw on RSU.

dazedNcontused
January 14th 04, 05:52 PM
I've put my Roach knockoffs (marked Nuke Proof) in the washing machine
with no ill effects. Just make sure all the velcro straps are closed,
and use the gentle cycle. If they can't survive a washing what good are
they?! :rolleyes:

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147

muniracer
January 14th 04, 06:03 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *
> Maybe a front loading washing machine would work, but a top load
> machine with an agitator would not be good at all for the armour.
>
> You could get something like a Rubbermaid storage container that is
> big enough to hold the armour. You could use it as a small tub to
> wash your armour, and when you're done using it as a wash tub you can
> use it to store your gear. Or maybe a plastic waste basket would also
> work? *

thanks- thats a really good idea

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Klaas Bil
January 14th 04, 08:41 PM
om> wrote:

>Are 661's washable I have some and they are getting a little sweaty
so
>are the washable? what temp to use ect?

I put them in the washing machine (for clothes) on the wool washing
program using detergent for colored clothes. 30 deg C I think, and
little movement. Works perfectly.

Klaas Bil

(I posted this yesterday on the newsgroup but it seems not to have come
through.)

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Klaas Bil
January 14th 04, 08:43 PM
om> wrote:

>muniracer wrote:
>> *so, if i live in a dorm, with no bathtubs, can i wash them (armor,
>> gloves) in a washing machine? they smell soooooooo bad. *
>
>Maybe a front loading washing machine would work, but a top load
machine
>with an agitator would not be good at all for the armour.

I have washed both my 661 4x4 leg protectors and my Harbinger 110G wrist
guards in a front-loading washing machine on the gentlest program
setting without anything else in the machine. Only once so far. They
came out very well.

Klaas Bil

(I posted this earlier today on the newsgroup but it seems not to have
come through.)

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442