PDA

View Full Version : large marge

ubersquish
November 29th 03, 08:41 AM
any here hear anything about the large marge rim from surly? not ready
yet, but surly says it'll be 26" and 65mm wide. i dunno if that's inner
or outer measurement, but that's still pretty big

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

jagur
November 29th 03, 09:35 AM
never heard of it,but if Surley gets involved;its bound to be a good
thing.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

john_childs
November 29th 03, 04:44 PM
That's a big rim.

Surly has some info about the rim in their catalog.
'Surly 2004 Catalog (PDF document)'
(http://www.surlybikes.com/files/Surly2004.pdf)
Scroll down to page 12.

It's a 26" rim. No 24" version. Looks like they're outdoing even the
'Snow Cat rims' (http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html)
in the width department. And they're double walled unlike the Snow
Cats.

Here is the text from the catalog:

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Mojoe
November 29th 03, 04:46 PM
Right, they're still testing it to make sure it's Surly enough. I'm
definately getting one and mounting a 26x3 Gazzilla on it. I don't even
know if my Yuni frame will have enough room for it with the wider rim,
but I'm doing it anyway, even if I have to do a little violence to my
frame to make it fit. I hope they get it into production soon so I can
test it out in the snow here.

I'll e-mail Dave at Surly and get the info dump on it. Dave is into
muni, so he'll be stoked to hear I'm building a muni around one. I'm
going to get a Surly flask while I'm at it too.

Mojoe

| Attachment filename: flask.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175605|

Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Mojoe
December 3rd 03, 01:20 PM
All,

I got an e-mail back from Dave at Surly. This is what he had to say
about the Large Marge and when it will be available.

.........."I'm waiting for another round of Large Marge samples. Should
be a week or two. Once they are approved, production can begin. It
will be 3-4 months before we have any to sell. I mounted a Specialized
Big Hit 3.0 on one rim today. It doesn't really make the tire much
wider. But, it flattens the tread out, so there's more of it contacting
the ground. The wider rim should help reduce pinch flats and keep the
tire from rolling off the rim when using low pressure. I measured the
Specialized casing width at 75mm and the tread width at 74.5mm. The
width doesn't change much, but the riding characteristics and
performance do change. I'm hoping to get some 24" rims rolled out of
the same extrusion, for munis and downhill rigs, but it's going to be
tough. We'll get the 26" dialed in, and then we'll push for the smaller
hoops."...........

That is all...

cheers..... Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Borges
December 3rd 03, 03:28 PM
Even a 3" tire seems a little narrow for that rim.
Unicyclists use higher tirepressures than bycyclists, so there would be
more force pushing the tire off the rim.
Would the tire still be seated after a sharp turn on a downhill?

Sun Double wide has a recommended minimum tire width of 2.35" and the
double wide is "only" 33mm wide. Large Marge must be significantly
wider.

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

beelzebub of balance
December 3rd 03, 05:22 PM
With this width rim, most people glue the tire's bead to the rim--at
least on one side.

David Maxfield
Mitchell, SD

--
beelzebub of balance - Junior Member of the Universe

David Maxfield
Mitchell, SD
beelzebub of balance's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1631

dazedNcontused
December 3rd 03, 05:41 PM
I think they do that to keep the tire from slipping around the rim and
shearing the valve stem off the tube. If the tire wanted to pull off
the rim I doubt glue would hold it - especially if only one side is
glued!

Having said that, the tire bead is what keeps the tire on the rim and
that's the same regardless of tire width.

I think the limit on tire width is that as the rim gets wider the tire
gets pulled flat so that there's less sidewall height - in the limit the
tire would be stretched flat and there would be very little air in the
tube. This might be OK for snow riding...

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147

johnfoss
December 3rd 03, 11:43 PM
Large Marge used to be the world's largest unicycle. I forget the wheel
size, but it was somewhere between 64" and 72". It was built for Steve
Gordon and listed in the Guinness Book. Later Steve had a 73" wheel
called Intense Hortense. I think this one still holds the record.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home