PDA

View Full Version : MUnis on the cheap

daino149
November 29th 03, 10:02 AM
So here's the deal,
I (or someone like me) wants to get a MUni, but is a bit strapped for
cash. Looking at Unicycle.com, it seems there are several options.
Here are the one's I'm looking at:
'Torker Unistar CX 24-inch'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=765)
Pros:
Splined Hub
KH Saddle
Fat (25.4mm) post
Heavy Duty Bearing holders
2 bolt Seat Clamp
Double Walled rim
Flat Crown
CHEAP!

Cons:
Narrow Frame (2.3 max tire)
Off Brand Rim

'Nimbus 24-inch MUni'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=745)
Pros:
Flat Crown
2 bolt Seat Clamp
Wide Frame
Double Walled Rim
KH Saddle
CHEAP!
new unicycle.com hub

Cons:
Hub not splined
narrow seatpost (I think)

Which of these do you think is the better choice? Is there anything I
left out, or got wrong? Is there another MUni (in this price range)
that is better?

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

XWonka: Stick that in your Sig and smoke it.

joona
November 29th 03, 12:42 PM
I don't know how much the new cromo hub will hold compared to the
splined Torker but 2,3" tire might feel a bit skinny when MUniing. I
have a 2,125" Ragahit on my 20" and it feels terrible after riding on my
24" with the 3" Gazza. And my Nimbus has held up well with the older hub
and some 3' drops.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

UniBrier
November 29th 03, 04:39 PM
My $.02...

The DX 24 does have the stonger hub and would probably take more abuse.
It would be more versatile for street and light trail riding. The 6"/150
cranks would be faster, preferable for street but may limit some hill
climbing torque.

The uni.com or Suzue hubs should be able to handle any normal riding
situations and hopping over most obstacles. I have a Suzue hub on my 26"
Muni and held up with 18" drops. I prefer a three inch tire for rough
terrain, the difference in sucking up the roots and rocks is huge
between my 24x3 Gazz and my 26x2.6 Kenda. I know there is a lot of
personal preference involved in crank length but for pure Muni I like
the 170's for the additional torque but I would want shorter for cross
country type riding.

If you're looking for something to do both off road & bigger drops and
can save up the $400+ the KH 24 or other splined Muni may be the way to
go.

Good Luck

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

joe
November 29th 03, 04:51 PM
I would go for the Nimbus Muni

I have one of the 26" MUnis, with 2.6" Gazz on it. It is great!

It has Suzue hub, with Bicycle Euro 150 cranks. I bend cranks once in a
while, but the hub has been fine! It came with Halo Combat rim, and
Miyata. I have added a CF Miyata air saddle, and just today finished
putting the Maugra brakes on. I also am getting it powdercoated on
Monday.

I think this is one of the best affordable unis about. It will last
awhile (along as you dont do crazy drops - mine can handle 3').

Which ever one you get, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine! :D

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

sockmonster
November 29th 03, 10:03 PM
If you do go with Torker, make sure it somes with the newer Miyata-style
saddle. Otherwise, you're punishing your crotch.

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

Note to self- Never hug a vampire
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

jagur
November 29th 03, 10:16 PM
sockmonster wrote:
> *If you do go with Torker, make sure it somes with the newer
> Miyata-style saddle. Otherwise, you're punishing your crotch. *
didnt really look at the picture Daino linked,did you?

the Torker DX comes with a Velo seat...

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

sockmonster
November 30th 03, 12:04 AM
jagur wrote:
> *didnt really look at the picture Daino linked,did you?
>
> the Torker DX comes with a nice fluffy Velo seat... *

Imagine that! There's a link up there!

Jagur, you are indeed a wise individual

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

Note to self- Never hug a vampire
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

hole-in-my-shoe
November 30th 03, 12:15 AM
joe wrote:
> *I would go for the Nimbus Muni
>
> I have one of the 26" MUnis, with 2.6" Gazz on it. It is great!
>
> It has Suzue hub, with Bicycle Euro 150 cranks. I bend cranks once in
> a while, but the hub has been fine! It came with Halo Combat rim, and
> Miyata...
> Joe, *

I have nothing to say except that I, too, have the suzue hub, and it
seems perfectly capable of coping with regular drops of three feet. And
maybe more, who knows.

Do you really want to jump from higher than this?

--
hole-in-my-shoe - getting bigger
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

jagur
November 30th 03, 12:58 AM
sockmonster wrote:
> *Jagur, you are indeed a wise individual *
at least wiser than your average sock monster...

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

thinuniking
November 30th 03, 10:02 AM
try municycle.com you can get a 24" with a splined hub for 300 us god
knows about postage

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

joona
November 30th 03, 10:55 AM
thinuniking wrote:
> *try municycle.com you can get a 24" with a splined hub for 300 us god
> knows about postage *

5-10 kg 46 usd
10-20 kg 70 usd

You'll probably can do with that 5-10 kg if you only order the uni. But
it probably won't take too long for Roland to show up and tell more
about the shipping.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

JonnyD
December 2nd 03, 08:57 PM
I know this thread's a bit old, but i just had to add a bit of
commentary:

While personally I would go with the torker (out of the two), whatever
you do, go cheap.

Get a good quality unicycle, of course, but don't wait until after
you've bought your $500 unicycle to decide if you like MUni or not. I
made this mistake, and luckily It turns out I love it, but get a cheaper
unicycle first, and once you've "grown out" of it, *then* get yourself
something with Profiles or that lot.

Yeah, it's nice to have nice stuff, but get something that you can use
for other stuff like freestyle or cross country/ road riding as well as
off road, and you'll like be better off.

--
JonnyD

The proper wording is: "Whom is this?" Or, more formally: "Just exactly
whom the heck is this to whom I am speaking to?"
JonnyD's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/563

daino149
January 10th 04, 12:50 AM
I thought I would drag this thread out of the gutters of RSU to ask if
anyone has any more opinions about the Torker. Depending on weather or
not my LBS ever stocks one, I might pick it up.

Mostly I want to hear from people who own it or have a bit of saddle
time with it. What are the high points? Low? Has anything broke?

On a side note, yesterday I went for a 10 mile road ride followed by a
brief trials session. The road ride was on my Sem 26er with Torker/KH
seat. The trials was on my Summit with Torker/Miyata seat. After an
hour on the Torker/KH the Torker/Miyata felt like a rock. I think I
might have to order more of those seats now.

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

there ain't enough body armor in the country for me to try that. -- Ken
on the mtbr forum in reference to MUni

muniracer
January 10th 04, 02:06 AM
get the nimbus, no question

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

sockmonster
January 10th 04, 05:46 AM
The Torker DX does not have a particularly wide frame. The new line is a
huge improvement over the chrome predocessors (the CX line), but they
still have some things to learn in the MUni trade. If the frame were
wider, and they offered one with a 26 wheel, and if it were cheaper than
the Nimbus, I'd be all over it. Untill then, Torkers are still more or
less learner unis

--
sockmonster - Level 4

Funny how in this forum, no one thinks it's weird if someone says, "I
tacoed my giraffe..."
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

thinuniking
January 10th 04, 11:04 AM
how good's the pashley 26"? I am thinking about getting one but am un
sure of how long it will last.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

U-Turn
January 10th 04, 11:41 AM
thinuniking wrote:
> *how good's the pashley 26"? I am thinking about getting one but am un
> sure of how long it will last. *
The Pashley frame is a really good one. The bearing holders are
excellent too. I have a Pashley 26 and ride it all the time (when I'm
not recovering from crashes). I have replaced everything but the frame
over time; and I have trimmed the frame to put the seat lower, and
reamed the seat tube to use a slightly large seatpost. I now have a
Gazz Jr 26" on it and a CF air saddle and a Reeder handle. So you will
eventually replace the stock components such as wheel, cranks and seat.
If you are buying from uni.com, it is worth it to get the Power wheel if
they are still selling it. A set of Kookas are worth it too.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

U-Turn
January 10th 04, 11:44 AM
oops here's the photo, although this isn't with the Gazz I think.

| Attachment filename: entire uni front angle (tiny).jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/184132|

U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Google