PDA

View Full Version : giraffes

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 04:05 AM
results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29158
Question: Youngest age for a 5 foot Giraffe

- 8 years old
- 10 years old
- 12 years old
- 14 years old
- 16 years old

Hi!

I wan't a 5 foot giraffe unicycle for christmas. There aren't any
unicycling places around me but I would say I'm about level 4. How old
do you thinks someone has to be to ride a 5 footer? What if the inseem
is off by 1 or 2 inches? Isn't that okay, people grow. Do you have any
idea of an affordable 5 foot giraffe? I was thinking of a Savage but the
reviews said it broke easily. My dad thinks I always need the best stuff
just tells me to save up for some $300 or $400 one. Please help me
expesially about the inseem.

Thanks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

Checkernuts
December 1st 03, 04:26 AM
I dont get why there is a poll, age doenst matter. Whether you have a
unicycle that fits you and if you can control a unicycle are what
matter.

Age is no factor other than when your little theres a longer way to
fall. But that still has little to do with your age. And everyone knows
little kids bounce so a 5 foot fall should be fine...

Mike

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Checkernuts
December 1st 03, 04:26 AM
I dont get why there is a poll, age doenst matter. Whether you have a
unicycle that fits you and if you can control a unicycle are what
matter.

Age is no factor other than when your little theres a longer way to
fall. But that still has little to do with your age. And everyone knows
little kids bounce so a 5 foot fall should be fine...

Mike

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

maskedriders
December 1st 03, 04:57 AM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Hi!
>
> Do you have any idea of an affordable 5 foot giraffe? I was thinking
> of a Savage but the reviews said it broke easily.
> Thanks *

Hi, I just wanted to tell you about the new Torker Giraffe, from my
experience with the Torker 20'' black 48 spoke unistars they are very
durable unicycles, so it may be worth checking out... they have been
consistently on ebay lately...
hope this helps...
:)
God Bless!
Heather

| Attachment filename: torker giraffe.bmp |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175850|

maskedriders - Riding behind the mask...
maskedriders's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4277

James_Potter
December 1st 03, 05:11 AM
Yeah, age doesn't matter. I guess size would, but you can lower the seat
post as far as you want (almost).

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *GILBY* hadn't
killed it.-

john_childs
December 1st 03, 05:31 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> *Yeah, age doesn't matter. I guess size would, but you can lower the
> seat post as far as you want (almost). *

Some giraffes don't let you lower the seat as far as others. For
example the 'Miyata Sky Cycle'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=87) lets you lower the
seat real low. The seat on a giraffe like the new'Torker giraffe'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=763) won't go down as
far.

That new Torker giraffe looks like it will be a good one. I'd have to
take a look at one to see how sturdy the frame is and how sturdy the
components are. But based on the quality of the other Torker unicycles
their new giraffe should be a good one.

If I was looking for a new 5 foot giraffe I'd definately be looking at
the new Torker.

Age isn't a major factor in riding a giraffe. I've seen young
elementary age kids on giraffes. The main factor is riding skill. You
should be working on level 4 skills and be able to idle well before
trying a giraffe. Being able to idle well is very important. If
someone walks in front of you while you're on a giraffe you have to be
able to stop and idle to keep from running in to them. Being able to
idle well is necessary for your safety and the safety of those around
you.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

tomblackwood
December 1st 03, 05:50 AM
My son just turned 10, and since he's done so well on all his school
work and responsibilities, he received a Miyata 5" skycycle for his
present. He's not rated, but my guess is he's between Level 2 and Level
3. He can't free-mount it yet, but he was up and riding happily within
the first couple minutes.

You have more than enough skill at Level 4. The only real question I
think would be your inseam. The Miyata fits my son with an inch or two
to spare. I'd say measure your's, then call unicycle.com or your local
supplier to compare.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

shadowuni
December 1st 03, 05:54 AM
I have a 6 foot savage, and i do tricks on it such as riding backwards,
one foot idling and hopping, and it seems to be pretty stable. the only
minor problem is chain tension, and i bought $6 chain tensioners to fix
that, smooth ride since. a good buy at $200 if all your going to be
doing is riding.

--
shadowuni - Level 4.5 Unicyclist

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

mike.hinson
December 1st 03, 03:16 PM
My daughter was 9 when she rode a giraffe at BUC & she loved it.

| Attachment filename: andy giraffe.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/175907|

mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"...they all began to chant "You ride a baby bike!!" over and over and
over. Then their chant turned into "you have no hair!!" Which made
absolutely no sense at all. It was hilarious." -- Ender
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 03:23 PM
I'm 10, but my inseem is a little lower then 26 inches and it says
minimum inseem requirement 28" or 27". My mom thinks its dangerous so my
dad says stuff like "Your to small and You'r to young". I'll be looking
for something better then the savage. Does unicycle.com make custom
ones? I think the miyata is a little expensive I only have to thing on
my list though. I'll ask my dad.

Thanks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 03:46 PM
I'm not level 4. I think i'm level 4 according to
http://tinyurl.com/f9a
Are you rich? When I ask my dad for the Miyata SkyCycle, I even offerd
to pay half but he says"Maybe if you were a proffesional performer." I
want to find a giraffe with a mininmum inseem of 26" or lower and that
is cheap. All I want to do is ride a giraffe. I hate being short. Does
putting on shoes change your inseem? I can idle pretty well but not one-
footed. Sorry about all the messages by me. The more I want one the more
read over and i keep finding new things.

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 04:11 PM
Is the torker giraffe good? I know price doesn't matter but the savage
is more expensive and supposively breaks easily. I might have a chance
to get that one but my dad will probly say "you don't know if your tall
enough" sense it doesn't have minimum inseem requirement. If I get it i
don't what a cheap peice of junk that breaks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 04:11 PM
Is the torker giraffe good? I know price doesn't matter but the savage
is more expensive and supposively breaks easily. I might have a chance
to get that one but my dad will probly say "you don't know if your tall
enough" sense it doesn't have minimum inseem requirement. If I get it i
don't what a cheap peice of junk that breaks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

joona
December 1st 03, 04:25 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does putting on shoes change your inseem?*

Yes it does. If you put on shoes with four inch soles you get 4 inches
more on your inseam. But I wouldn't recommend riding with shoes like
that. You'd probably brake your ankles when landing a fall.

Well, to my actual point. I was just wondering, what limits the amount
that how low you can put the saddle?

Seat post? No, you can cut it shorter and it will go lower.
Frame? No, you can cut it too. Cut the frame as low as you need to.
After that you might have to cut a new vertical cut to the back of the
frame so the seat clamp can tighten. And remember that you must drill a
hole at the end of the new cut or it might start to rip. You might want
to see what other people think about this. But still, I think that with
this method you could lower the seat even enough for it to touch the
cranks.:D

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

joona
December 1st 03, 04:25 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does putting on shoes change your inseem?*

Yes it does. If you put on shoes with four inch soles you get 4 inches
more on your inseam. But I wouldn't recommend riding with shoes like
that. You'd probably brake your ankles when landing a fall.

Well, to my actual point. I was just wondering, what limits the amount
that how low you can put the saddle?

Seat post? No, you can cut it shorter and it will go lower.
Frame? No, you can cut it too. Cut the frame as low as you need to.
After that you might have to cut a new vertical cut to the back of the
frame so the seat clamp can tighten. And remember that you must drill a
hole at the end of the new cut or it might start to rip. You might want
to see what other people think about this. But still, I think that with
this method you could lower the seat even enough for it to touch the
cranks.:D

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

maskedriders
December 1st 03, 04:56 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Is the torker giraffe good? I know price doesn't matter but the
> savage is more expensive and supposively breaks easily. I might have a
> chance to get that one but my dad will probly say "you don't know if
> your tall enough" sense it doesn't have minimum inseem requirement. If
> I get it i don't what a cheap peice of junk that breaks *

The torker is honestly a high quality unicycle and not a high price. I
have 4 torkers... they are the same model as the giraffe... just not as
tall :p...a nd they have been great! I have rode trials, trails, and
freestyle with my torker... and I have dropped it A LOT! But it is still
going strong!! You could email that person that is selling it on ebay,
and ask him what the inseam is... I have bought from him about 4 times
off of ebay, and he is reliable....
hope this helps!
God Bless!
Heather :)

--

The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Is the torker giraffe good? I know price doesn't matter but the
> savage is more expensive and supposively breaks easily. I might have a
> chance to get that one but my dad will probly say "you don't know if
> your tall enough" sense it doesn't have minimum inseem requirement. If
> I get it i don't what a cheap peice of junk that breaks *

The torker is honestly a high quality unicycle and not a high price. I
have 4 torkers... they are the same model as the giraffe... just not as
tall :p...a nd they have been great! I have rode trials, trails, and
freestyle with my torker... and I have dropped it A LOT! But it is still
going strong!! You could email that person that is selling it on ebay,
and ask him what the inseam is... I have bought from him about 4 times
off of ebay, and he is reliable....
hope this helps!
God Bless!
Heather :)

--
maskedriders - Riding behind the mask...
maskedriders's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4277

treepotato
December 1st 03, 05:36 PM
> everyone knows little kids bounce - Checkernuts

haha haha

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

treepotato
December 1st 03, 05:36 PM
> everyone knows little kids bounce - Checkernuts

haha haha

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 05:37 PM
maskedriders wrote:
> *
>
> The torker is honestly a high quality unicycle and not a high price. I
> have 4 torkers... they are the same model as the giraffe... just not
> as tall :p...a nd they have been great! I have rode trials, trails,
> and freestyle with my torker... and I have dropped it A LOT! But it is
> still going strong!! You could email that person that is selling it on
> ebay, and ask him what the inseam is... I have bought from him about 4
> times off of ebay, and he is reliable....
> hope this helps!
> God Bless!
> Heather *

I was talking about giraffe torkers but thanks

--

maskedriders wrote:
> *
>
> The torker is honestly a high quality unicycle and not a high price. I
> have 4 torkers... they are the same model as the giraffe... just not
> as tall :p...a nd they have been great! I have rode trials, trails,
> and freestyle with my torker... and I have dropped it A LOT! But it is
> still going strong!! You could email that person that is selling it on
> ebay, and ask him what the inseam is... I have bought from him about 4
> times off of ebay, and he is reliable....
> hope this helps!
> God Bless!
> Heather *

I was talking about giraffe torkers but thanks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

maskedriders
December 1st 03, 05:41 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *
>
> I was talking about giraffe torkers but thanks *

:) I know, I was just letting you know that Torkers are good
unicycles... because mine are durable, I am sure the giraffe would be
good also...
God bless!!
Heather

--

The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *
>
> I was talking about giraffe torkers but thanks *

:) I know, I was just letting you know that Torkers are good
unicycles... because mine are durable, I am sure the giraffe would be
good also...
God bless!!
Heather

--
maskedriders - Riding behind the mask...
maskedriders's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4277

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 05:47 PM
Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseem required.
I'm desparate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 05:47 PM
Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseem required.
I'm desparate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

john_childs
December 1st 03, 05:55 PM
A 5 foot giraffe isn't difficult or dangerous to ride. On a 5 foot
giraffe your feet are only about 2 feet off the ground. A dismount is
just like jumping off of a 2 foot high ledge. When you fall you almost
always have time to get your feet under you, so you almost always end up
landing on your feet. Falling off and not landing on your feet could be
a bad thing, but that doesn't happen much at all and you're really not
that high off the ground to begin with. In all of my falls off my 6'
giraffe I have always landed on my feet.

You do have to be careful if you fall off to the side. It is possible
to twist an ankle that way.

A 5' giraffe is safe. You're not likely to hurt yourself if you're
careful.

You will have no problem riding the giraffe. Once you are good at
riding a regular unicycle riding a giraffe is not that much different.
I was riding around on my giraffe on the second try. The first try
ended up in a quick dismount. On the second try I made it across the
outdoor basketball court and then fell off when I tried to turn.
Learning the basics comes quickly. The giraffe just feels different and
reacts differently.

I have more fun on my freestyle uni than my giraffe. I can do more on
the freestyle uni and I'm more willing to try new things on the
freestyle uni. On the giraffe I just want to ride and not fall off. I
don't want to do anything that is going to cause me to fall off because
getting back on is difficult. The difficulty of getting back on the
giraffe keeps me from trying new things.

--
[...]

December 1st 03, 06:04 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
> www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseam required.
> I'm desperate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com
> *

A more accurate way to measure the seat height on a unicycle is to
measure from the pedal in the lowest position to the top of the seat.
Not everyone measures their inseam the same way so inseam measurements
are not an accurate way to size a unicycle.

Take your freestyle unicycle and measure the distance from the pedal in
the lowest position to the top of the seat. Call up unicycle.com and
give them that measurement and they will be able to tell you if the
giraffe will fit you or not.

If someone already has a Torker giraffe they could lower the seat all
the way and measure from the lowest pedal to the top of the seat and
then you'd know the minimum size for that giraffe.

--

The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
> www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseam required.
> I'm desperate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com
> *

A more accurate way to measure the seat height on a unicycle is to
measure from the pedal in the lowest position to the top of the seat.
Not everyone measures their inseam the same way so inseam measurements
are not an accurate way to size a unicycle.

Take your freestyle unicycle and measure the distance from the pedal in
the lowest position to the top of the seat. Call up unicycle.com and
give them that measurement and they will be able to tell you if the
giraffe will fit you or not.

If someone already has a Torker giraffe they could lower the seat all
the way and measure from the lowest pedal to the top of the seat and
then you'd know the minimum size for that giraffe.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

JJuggle
December 1st 03, 06:17 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *A 5 foot giraffe isn't difficult or dangerous to ride. On a 5 foot
> giraffe your feet are only about 2 feet off the ground. A dismount is
> just like jumping off of a 2 foot high ledge. When you fall you
> almost always have time to get your feet under you, so you almost
> always end up landing on your feet. Falling off and not landing on
> your feet could be a bad thing, but that doesn't happen much at all
> and you're really not that high off the ground to begin with. In all
> of my falls off my 6' giraffe I have always landed on my feet.
>
> You do have to be careful if you fall off to the side. It is possible
> to twist an ankle that way.
>
> A 5' giraffe is safe. You're not likely to hurt yourself if you're
> careful.
>
> You will have no problem riding the giraffe. Once you are good at
> riding a regular unicycle riding a giraffe is not that much different.
> I was riding around on my giraffe on the second try. The first try
> ended up in a quick dismount. On the second try I made it across the
> outdoor basketball court and then fell off when I tried to turn.
> Learning the basics comes quickly. The giraffe just feels different
> and reacts differently.
>
> I have more fun on my freestyle uni than my giraffe. I can do more on
> the freestyle uni and I'm more willing to try new things on the
> freestyle uni. On the giraffe I just want to ride and not fall off.
> I don't want to do anything that is going to cause me to fall off
> because getting back on is difficult. The difficulty of getting back
> on the giraffe keeps me from trying new things. *
Yes, what John said.

As for the Savage, I'll add my 2 cents and simply say that I have a 5'
Savage with the seat and seatpost upgrade and it is fine. I do not ride
it a lot, but it has withstood my learning process which included a lot
of banging to the ground and general now and again outings. Your father
makes a good point generally about saving up for quality, but if you're
in a hurry the Savage is fine.

As for your mom's concern about the safety of riding a giraffe it is
unlikely that any assurances from strangers on a newsgroup will make
much of a dent in her concern. I first demonstrated to my mother my
ability to ride a giraffe last year. I'm 43 now and she was not pleased.
If you think the expression, "awww ma, what are you so worried about?"
is limited to kids, it's not.

If at all possible your best bet is to find a unicycle club nearby and
go and try a giraffe. If there's no unicycle club, then perhaps there is
a juggling club nearby and you can contact them and see if anyone has a
giraffe and would be willing to let you have a go. (You can find out
about juggling clubs at 'The Internet Juggling Database'
(http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs)). At 10 your parents have to come
along.

If these are not options try cajoling, promising to clean your room, or
promising to get an A in math. ;)

Good luck,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

JJuggle
December 1st 03, 06:17 PM
john_childs wrote:
> [...]

If you think the expression, "awww ma, what are you so worried about?"
is limited to kids, it's not.

If at all possible your best bet is to find a unicycle club nearby and
go and try a giraffe. If there's no unicycle club, then perhaps there is
a juggling club nearby and you can contact them and see if anyone has a
giraffe and would be willing to let you have a go. (You can find out
about juggling clubs at 'The Internet Juggling Database'
(http://www.jugglingdb.com/clubs)). At 10 your parents have to come
along.

If these are not options try cajoling, promising to clean your room, or
promising to get an A in math. ;)

Good luck,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Borges
December 1st 03, 06:25 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> Does putting on shoes change your inseem?[/B]

When you determine if your inseem is long enough for a unicycle you
measure all the way to the ground, wearing the shoes you'd be wearing
riding the unicycle.

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Borges
December 1st 03, 06:25 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> Does putting on shoes change your inseem?[/B]

When you determine if your inseem is long enough for a unicycle you
measure all the way to the ground, wearing the shoes you'd be wearing
riding the unicycle.

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

joona
December 1st 03, 06:45 PM
JJuggle wrote:
> *If these are not options try cajoling, promising to clean your room,
> or promising to get an A in math. ;)*

Or just order it and don't show it to your parents. Take it your
neighbours garage or any similar place. A gigantic ;)

--

JJuggle wrote:
> *If these are not options try cajoling, promising to clean your room,
> or promising to get an A in math. ;)*

Or just order it and don't show it to your parents. Take it your
neighbours garage or any similar place. A gigantic ;)

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 07:30 PM
Now that I think of it what can you do on giraffe uni anyway? Whats so
special about it?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 07:30 PM
Now that I think of it what can you do on giraffe uni anyway? Whats so
special about it?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

john_childs
December 1st 03, 07:55 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Now that I think of it what can you do on giraffe uni anyway? Whats
> so special about it? *

Well you can ride around taller than everyone else. :)

Riding a giraffe looks really impressive to the layman
(non-unicyclists). Ride a giraffe in a parade and people are impressed.
You get more attention on a giraffe.

A giraffe is also different which gives it a certain amount of fun
value.

Basic skills you can do are things like one foot riding, idling, one
foot idling, etc. The basic skills are not too much more difficult than
they are on a standard freestyle unicycle.

More advanced skills are riding seat out front, seat on side,
freemounting, fancy turns, backwards riding, etc. There are different
types of freemounts like jump mount, climb up mount, side mount. The
advanced skills are more difficult on the giraffe than they are on a
standard freestyle unicycle. Some of them are much more difficult. The
difficulty with things like seat out front is that there is a
significant amount of leverage on the seat because of where your weight
is on the pedals. The seat will want to rip right out of your hands.
You have to hold the seat really really tight. Things like that just
make some of the skills much more difficult on a giraffe.

Things you can't do on a standard giraffe are things like wheel walking
and picking up juggling clubs off the ground when you drop them.

--

The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Now that I think of it what can you do on giraffe uni anyway? Whats
> so special about it? *

Well you can ride around taller than everyone else. :)

Riding a giraffe looks really impressive to the layman
(non-unicyclists). Ride a giraffe in a parade and people are impressed.
You get more attention on a giraffe.

A giraffe is also different which gives it a certain amount of fun
value.

Basic skills you can do are things like one foot riding, idling, one
foot idling, etc. The basic skills are not too much more difficult than
they are on a standard freestyle unicycle.

More advanced skills are riding seat out front, seat on side,
freemounting, fancy turns, backwards riding, etc. There are different
types of freemounts like jump mount, climb up mount, side mount. The
advanced skills are more difficult on the giraffe than they are on a
standard freestyle unicycle. Some of them are much more difficult. The
difficulty with things like seat out front is that there is a
significant amount of leverage on the seat because of where your weight
is on the pedals. The seat will want to rip right out of your hands.
You have to hold the seat really really tight. Things like that just
make some of the skills much more difficult on a giraffe.

Things you can't do on a standard giraffe are things like wheel walking
and picking up juggling clubs off the ground when you drop them.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

JJuggle
December 1st 03, 08:01 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *
> Well you can ride around taller than everyone else. :)
>
> Riding a giraffe looks really impressive to the layman
> (non-unicyclists). Ride a giraffe in a parade and people are
> impressed. You get more attention on a giraffe.
>
> A giraffe is also different which gives it a certain amount of fun
> value.
>
> Basic skills you can do are things like one foot riding, idling, one
> foot idling, etc. The basic skills are not too much more difficult
> than they are on a standard freestyle unicycle.
>
> More advanced skills are riding seat out front, seat on side,
> freemounting, fancy turns, backwards riding, etc. There are different
> types of freemounts like jump mount, climb up mount, side mount. The
> advanced skills are more difficult on the giraffe than they are on a
> standard freestyle unicycle. Some of them are much more difficult.
> The difficulty with things like seat out front is that there is a
> significant amount of leverage on the seat because of where your
> weight is on the pedals. The seat will want to rip right out of your
> hands. You have to hold the seat really really tight. Things like
> that just make some of the skills much more difficult on a giraffe.
>
> Things you can't do on a standard giraffe are things like wheel
> walking and picking up juggling clubs off the ground when you drop
> them. *
Yeah, what John said.

But also on a giraffe you have the most excellent sensation when your
innner voice says, "Wow, I could be in the circus. Holy jeez, I could be
a clown!!!!!" :D

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--

john_childs wrote:
> *
> Well you can ride around taller than everyone else. :)
>
> Riding a giraffe looks really impressive to the layman
> (non-unicyclists). Ride a giraffe in a parade and people are
> impressed. You get more attention on a giraffe.
>
> A giraffe is also different which gives it a certain amount of fun
> value.
>
> Basic skills you can do are things like one foot riding, idling, one
> foot idling, etc. The basic skills are not too much more difficult
> than they are on a standard freestyle unicycle.
>
> More advanced skills are riding seat out front, seat on side,
> freemounting, fancy turns, backwards riding, etc. There are different
> types of freemounts like jump mount, climb up mount, side mount. The
> advanced skills are more difficult on the giraffe than they are on a
> standard freestyle unicycle. Some of them are much more difficult.
> The difficulty with things like seat out front is that there is a
> significant amount of leverage on the seat because of where your
> weight is on the pedals. The seat will want to rip right out of your
> hands. You have to hold the seat really really tight. Things like
> that just make some of the skills much more difficult on a giraffe.
>
> Things you can't do on a standard giraffe are things like wheel
> walking and picking up juggling clubs off the ground when you drop
> them. *
Yeah, what John said.

But also on a giraffe you have the most excellent sensation when your
innner voice says, "Wow, I could be in the circus. Holy jeez, I could be
a clown!!!!!" :D

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

john_childs
December 1st 03, 09:05 PM
The problem with giraffes is that everyone wants to try riding one just
to see if they can, but very few people will end up riding it enough to
justify owning one. :)

The easiest way to get over the initial giraffe fetish is to go to a
unicycle club or a juggling club where you can try one just to see what
it is like. You'll get to have your fun. You'll get to see that it's
really not that tricky to learn to ride around. You'll also learn that
it's not a terribly practical unicycle. You'll either discover that you
really like it and want to learn to master giraffe riding, or you'll
discover that it was fun and novel, but not practical enough to justify
buying one. Most likely you'll end up in the second group.

--
[...]

December 1st 03, 09:30 PM
I'm starting to lose interest because everyone says it like a normal uni
just higher. I guess it would hurt to lose joust on one too. The closest
place is the juggling club in pittsburg but its far away

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 09:30 PM
I'm starting to lose interest because everyone says it like a normal uni
just higher. I guess it would hurt to lose joust on one too. The closest
place is the juggling club in pittsburg but its far away

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

UniBrier
December 1st 03, 09:44 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
> www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseem required.
> I'm desparate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com
> *
Dont' know if you're still desparate but I put up nine more pics of the
TX at http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/2004Torker . Photo # 16 is high
rez. the rest are 640x480.

The measurement from the pedal in low postion to the top of the seat is
26". The Bottom Bracket is 33" from the floor.

Giraffes are fun, just not as versatile as other unis. You can never
have too many unicycles (But I'm getting close).

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

UniBrier
December 1st 03, 09:44 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *Does anyone have the Torker Unistar TX 5-Foot Giraffe Unicycle from
> www.unicycle.com If you do please tell me the minimum inseem required.
> I'm desparate. Tell me even if you didn't get it from www.unicycle.com
> *
Dont' know if you're still desparate but I put up nine more pics of the
TX at http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/2004Torker . Photo # 16 is high
rez. the rest are 640x480.

The measurement from the pedal in low postion to the top of the seat is
26". The Bottom Bracket is 33" from the floor.

Giraffes are fun, just not as versatile as other unis. You can never
have too many unicycles (But I'm getting close).

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

JJuggle
December 1st 03, 10:33 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *I'm starting to lose interest because everyone says it like a normal
> uni just higher.*
Tell your mom to thank us. ;)

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

JJuggle
December 1st 03, 10:37 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *The easiest way to get over the initial giraffe fetish is to go to a
> unicycle club or a juggling club where you can try one just to see
> what it is like. You'll get to have your fun.*
Hey, I already said that. :)> -Originally posted by JJuggle-
> * If at all possible your best bet is to find a unicycle club nearby
> and go and try a giraffe. If there's no unicycle club, then perhaps
> there is a juggling club nearby and you can contact them and see if
> anyone has a giraffe and would be willing to let you have a go.*
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

U-Turn
December 1st 03, 10:44 PM
UniBrier wrote:
> *Dont' know if you're still desparate but I put up nine more pics of
> the TX at http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/2004Torker . Photo # 16 is
> high rez. the rest are 640x480.
>
> The measurement from the pedal in low postion to the top of the seat
> is 26". The Bottom Bracket is 33" from the floor.
>
> Giraffes are fun, just not as versatile as other unis. You can never
> have too many unicycles (But I'm getting close). *
Thanks for the great pics, Steve.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

You say that the distance from bottom pedal to top of seat is 26".
Is this with the seat as low as possible?
If not, what is the distance to the top of the seat tube?
It appears that the top of the seat tube is tapered to fit the seat
post. Is that correct?

--
U-Turn - Small fish, big pond

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 11:14 PM
Now I have all the excuses i need to persuade may dad for the torker.
Now I sorta what the Miyata 20-inch Deluxe Model. Maybe he'll get me
that and ill order the cheaper one. Thanks I think i can get one now

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

UniBrier
December 1st 03, 11:42 PM
U-Turn wrote:
> *I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
>
> You say that the distance from bottom pedal to top of seat is 26".
> Is this with the seat as low as possible?
>
> It appears that the top of the seat tube is tapered to fit the seat
> post. Is that correct? *
Yes and Yes.

I put the seat up for the pics but measured at the lowest position.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

U-Turn
December 1st 03, 11:53 PM
UniBrier wrote:
> *Yes and Yes.
>
> I put the seat up for the pics but measured at the lowest position. *
Thanks Steve. Was the seat bottomed out on the seat tube in the lowest
position?

--
U-Turn - Small fish, big pond

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

The_SkunkMan
December 2nd 03, 02:42 AM
Should I get the Torker if i'm aloud or a better uni for tricks. I can't
make up my mind

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

UniBrier
December 2nd 03, 04:09 AM
U-Turn wrote:
> *Thanks Steve. Was the seat bottomed out on the seat tube in the
> lowest position? *
Yup.:)

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

jenmichael2000
October 25th 04, 06:05 PM
If you're considering getting a torker, check out the following thread -
"Questions on Torker TX" -the cog system on it has some issues you
should know about :)

--
jenmichael2000
jenmichael2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8180

jenmichael2000
October 27th 04, 02:44 PM
I recently got a torker tx. before you get one, you should check out
the discussion under the folowing thread:

"Questions on Torker TX"

The cog on the torker has some issues you might want to know about :)

--
jenmichael2000
jenmichael2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8180

johnfoss
October 27th 04, 06:40 PM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *When I ask my dad for the Miyata SkyCycle, I even offerd to pay half
> but he says"Maybe if you were a proffesional performer."*
Good idea, dad! Now nobody wants to hire a unicyclist for basic
performing unless *they have a giraffe.* That's where the money is, even
if your coolest stuff is done on a regular uni.

A custom giraffe will cost more than a Miyata.

But custom-izing a cheap giraffe should be able to modify it to go
lowere a minimal cost.

Joona mentioned that you can cut the frame down. CAUTION! This is not
true for many giraffes. Generally they have a taper, or some other
variation in the tube size that may preclude cutting them down. Check
into this before buying.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

"Read the rules!"
'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

jenmichael2000
October 29th 04, 04:25 PM
> The problem with giraffes is that everyone wants to try riding one
> just to see if they can, but very few people will end up riding it
> enough to justify owning one.
>
> The easiest way to get over the initial giraffe fetish is to go to a
> unicycle club or a juggling club where you can try one just to see
> what it is like. You'll get to have your fun. You'll get to see that
> it's really not that tricky to learn to ride around. You'll also learn
> that it's not a terribly practical unicycle. You'll either discover
> that you really like it and want to learn to master giraffe riding, or
> you'll discover that it was fun and novel, but not practical enough to
> justify buying one. Most likely you'll end up in the second group.

I'm in danger of comming to the same conclusion. I was able to free
mount my torker within half an hour, and then repeat the feet regularly
within a day. I was a bit dissapointed that it had been so easy. My
recomendation is to get giraf's with bigger wheel's or with a gearing
system that increases their effective wheel size. Then you can use it
to get from a to b, and look cool while your at it!

This is all beside the fact that you get lot's of attention, and tricks
should be a big chalenge, but super fun and rewarding. I am planing on
getting a better one in a few years and giving my old one to my (by
then) 8 year old nephue! -if that's not a reward, I don't know what is
(I just got him a unicycle with training wheels)!

Mike:)

Ps. Sory about my previous double post. I didn't know you could access
posts on furthur pages, and thought my post hadn't been registered. By
the way, 20 minutes at a bike shop and a day waiting has fixed my cog.
(hopefully!)

--
jenmichael2000
jenmichael2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8180

Klaas Bil
October 30th 04, 06:47 AM
On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:25:07 -0500, "jenmichael2000" wrote:

>(I just got him a unicycle with training wheels)!

Picture?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"The more you think, the less you have to do. - Leo Vandewoestijne"

jenmichael2000
November 3rd 04, 02:46 AM
ill try to arange that :)

--
jenmichael2000
jenmichael2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8180

AllThingsUni
November 3rd 04, 08:56 PM
you dont have to be a certain age to ride a 5 footer...you just have to
not have a conscious

--
AllThingsUni - learn to glide....its fun

I own
AllThingsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8306

ben_unruh
November 3rd 04, 11:25 PM
if u cut the seat bosrt could it be lower than 26"

--
ben_unruh - ogga booga bogga boo

The power of the polka

Unicyclers Unite