PDA

View Full Version : Why a 20" wheel ? Why not 16" wheel?

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 07:46 PM
results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29166
Question: What is your favorite wheel size?

- 12"
- 16"
- 20"
- 20"

I'm an okay rider at the age of 10. I have one 20" wheel and one 16"
wheel.I think you can do alot more on a 16". Why are most good unis made
with 20" inch wheel. Do they have any good 16" unis? I got mine from
unicycle.com so thats where I would like to get another one. I do most
freestyle tricks I think. I don't know the difference there just tricks.
Sorry about the poll the last option should be 24"

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

joona
December 1st 03, 08:05 PM
I vote for 24"!

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

joona
December 1st 03, 08:05 PM
I vote for 24"!

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

john_childs
December 1st 03, 08:16 PM
16" is too small for things like wheel walking. And it's harder to keep
your pedals from hitting the ground when you do tight turns.

20" is the best size for freestyle and skill development. The wheel is
big enough for wheel walking but still small enough that it is very
maneuverable. It's the best size if your goal is to work on the
unicycle skill levels.

24" is a good size for cruising around the neighborhood but is too small
for real distance riding. The 24" size is a little big for freestyle.
It's not as maneuverable as the 20". The 24" size is popular for
unicycle basketball because it is faster than the 20's.

My favorite size is the 24x3 wheel on my muni. But for indoor riding
and for skill development my favorite is my 20" freestyle unicycle.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

[...]

December 1st 03, 09:14 PM
john_childs wrote:
> *16" is too small for things like wheel walking. And it's harder to
> keep your pedals from hitting the ground when you do tight turns.*

Do you mean it easier to hit the ground? Anyway thanks for the info.
What is a good 20" uni in the $300 or less price range

--

john_childs wrote:
> *16" is too small for things like wheel walking. And it's harder to
> keep your pedals from hitting the ground when you do tight turns.*

Do you mean it easier to hit the ground? Anyway thanks for the info.
What is a good 20" uni in the $300 or less price range

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 09:28 PM
16" is too small for things like wheel walking:confused:
How can you explain this then:p

[image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albus96/37_G.sized.jpg]

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albus96/38_G.sized.jpg]
Believe, it is just 12 inch. The cranks where to long. The hit the
ground when i was unicycling ore wheel walking. But i did it. The person
who you see on the second picture is a friend of my who just started
that day with practising weel walking. He didn't like this;)

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 09:28 PM
16" is too small for things like wheel walking:confused:
How can you explain this then:p

[image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albus96/37_G.sized.jpg]

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/albus96/38_G.sized.jpg]
Believe, it is just 12 inch. The cranks where to long. The hit the
ground when i was unicycling ore wheel walking. But i did it. The person
who you see on the second picture is a friend of my who just started
that day with practising weel walking. He didn't like this;)

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 09:36 PM
Eenwieler I think john meant it's hard to learn to whell walk on a 16".
I don't think you learned on that 12".Do you like the small wheels to?
My only choice is a 20" really. Back to the question what is a good 20"
uni for me to get?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 09:36 PM
Eenwieler I think john meant it's hard to learn to whell walk on a 16".
I don't think you learned on that 12".Do you like the small wheels to?
My only choice is a 20" really. Back to the question what is a good 20"
uni for me to get?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 09:49 PM
What are the cranks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

The_SkunkMan
December 1st 03, 09:49 PM
What are the cranks

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

thinuniking
December 1st 03, 09:53 PM
they are the bits connecting the pedals to the hub look on
www.unicycle.uk.com and look in uni spares and cranks.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

thinuniking
December 1st 03, 09:53 PM
they are the bits connecting the pedals to the hub look on
www.unicycle.uk.com and look in uni spares and cranks.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 10:00 PM
I have learn it on a 20 inch unicycle, but on a juggling convention,
they had a corner where children could learn unicycling. They had a few
unicycle's for smal children. one was a 12 inch unicycle, and i want to
try it. But if there is a normal child with the age 6 ore 7. It's easy
to ride. But for me, I'am heavier and the cranks hit just te ground. It
wasn't mine unicycle :(
A guess the cranks where something like 130 mm.

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 10:00 PM
I have learn it on a 20 inch unicycle, but on a juggling convention,
they had a corner where children could learn unicycling. They had a few
unicycle's for smal children. one was a 12 inch unicycle, and i want to
try it. But if there is a normal child with the age 6 ore 7. It's easy
to ride. But for me, I'am heavier and the cranks hit just te ground. It
wasn't mine unicycle :(
A guess the cranks where something like 130 mm.

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

onewheeldave
December 1st 03, 10:10 PM
As you're 10 years old a 16" wheel to you is probably equivalent to a
20" wheel for an adult.

My preference is 24x3 muni.

As for a good 20", it depends on what you want to use it for i.e. indoor
freestyle, outdoor trials muni etc.

Nimbus/Yuni are a good value unicycle, the 20" trials model would be a
good choice for trials/muni as long as you're not wanting to do big
drops on it.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

onewheeldave
December 1st 03, 10:10 PM
As you're 10 years old a 16" wheel to you is probably equivalent to a
20" wheel for an adult.

My preference is 24x3 muni.

As for a good 20", it depends on what you want to use it for i.e. indoor
freestyle, outdoor trials muni etc.

Nimbus/Yuni are a good value unicycle, the 20" trials model would be a
good choice for trials/muni as long as you're not wanting to do big
drops on it.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 10:11 PM
So if you're 10 than is a 16" wheel a good size of wheel. I'am 16 and i
do walk the wheel on a 12":p

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

eenwieler
December 1st 03, 10:11 PM
So if you're 10 than is a 16" wheel a good size of wheel. I'am 16 and i
do walk the wheel on a 12":p

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

uni412
December 2nd 03, 02:21 AM
I'm 13 yeard old and I usually ride a 20'' yuni trials unicycle, but
when I was your age I rode a 16''. When you are small a 16'' inch is
best, but you'll probably soon outgrow it, so it isn't worth investing
in a good 16''. The Yuni is good for trials as well as muni( I'm too
small to ride a 24'') and it is a good buy.

--
uni412 - unicycle fanatic
uni412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4707

eenwieler
December 2nd 03, 12:25 PM
I' am 16 year and not 12 or something. i started when i was 12 on a 24"
unicycle

Ferko

--
eenwieler
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

peculiar
December 2nd 03, 03:42 PM
What about 26"? It seems like there isn't much 26" around. Like the KH,
the largest is 24" only..

--
peculiar - muni newbie

-Simplicity is beauty-
peculiar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4290

onewheeldave
December 2nd 03, 08:13 PM
A 24" with 3" tyre is pretty much the same effective diameter as a
standard 26", but has the advantage of being stronger, and the benefits
of a fat tyre.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

thinuniking
December 3rd 03, 08:25 AM
i think the kris holms only go up to a 24" because kris does tech muni
and 26" are normally a bit to heavy to do mad stuff on 26" are more
distance unicycles.and for not so tech stuff more for x-country and
milder muni.but i had a go on a 26" only having ever used a 20" and they
are so so so fast it's like your hardly pedaling and your going fast
than you could do on a 20".i was going to get one but i am now going for
a 24" as i think they are more fun.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live