PDA

View Full Version : Trial unicycles

The_SkunkMan
December 2nd 03, 02:52 AM
results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29176
Question: Freestyle or trial?

- Trial?\
- Freestyle

What are so special about trial unis? Is it that they have a handle on
the seat or what?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

aust
December 2nd 03, 03:07 AM
The_SkunkMan wrote:
> *What are so special about trial unis? Is it that they have a handle
> on the seat or what? *

not so much the handle on the seat, its just there way more versatile
than freestyle uni's. Freestyle uni's are good if your really into
freestyle or just really have a passion for it, but overall the trials
kinda bumps them off the shelves. And almost all the tricks you can do
on a freestyle uni you can do on a trials.

Austin

--
aust - Austin

Uber Unicycler
Pro Paintballer
Supreme Snowboarder
aust's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4767

Checkernuts
December 2nd 03, 03:41 AM
Each are made to do a certain job, Trials is all about finding stuff
that some woulnt imagine rideable and then having at it. Having a handle
can help stablity when your doing rolling hops and seat in hops. The
most importain part of a trials uni is the tire and strenght though. The
tire has a large volume so that you can get more bounce out of it. they
tend to be beefier so that they can take the streeses of trials without
breaking.

Freestlye unicycles are made to ride freestyle they usually have tires
that are much highter tire pressure so that they roll better on gym
floors and can do piriuettes and other tricks better.

They are just different styles of riding, like track running and cross
country. 2 different parts of the same sport.

Mike

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

one wheeled stallion
December 3rd 03, 02:24 PM
Yeah, it's just a question of beefiness in the uni- trials ones take
more pounding from jumping up and off things, so they have splined hubs
for strength. The cranks used are obviously stronger too for the same
reason, but they are also longer, as you can get more control over the
machine, tho top speed is reduced, but that's not really an issue with
trials. The pedals of a trials unicycle are designed to stop you
slipping off mid-jump (or any other time I suppose!) so they're super
grippy. They have to be tough too for pedal and crank grabs. The rims
are 19" as the bouncy tyres Checkernuts was talking about are still 20"
around the outside, but smaller in the middle- hence the smaller rim.
Trials uni saddles are usually quite low to allow the rider to pull it
up on jumps and also pull it out for the same reason. It also allows a
bit more room for certain body parts when doing big drops!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

muniracer
December 3rd 03, 03:42 PM
hahahaaha

the poll is no competition!

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

thinuniking
December 3rd 03, 04:21 PM
only bad thing about learning on a trials is when you learn to idle and
1 ft idle you do alot of idling this wears the tyre out faster then
anything on a cheapo normal uni this is not really a problem as you can
pick up a tyre for like £5-£10 but with a trials rim like my uni's (alex
dx32 19")it's starting about £20 and go's to about £35.but trials unis
with fat tyres are far easier to learn on but once your good on normal
ground not muni or anything you can ride a skinny as well as a fat tyred
monster.

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

joona
December 3rd 03, 04:26 PM
Aren't there any tires like Fireball for 19" rims?

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

XWonka
December 3rd 03, 04:31 PM
Man, freestyle is getting it's ass kicked in the poll.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"Man, I hope time travel is possible. Because I'd like to go back and
coldcock this one dude." -Flordia Cracker

What happened to a world where people could spell stuff wrong without
being oppressed by the man?
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

unitulip
December 3rd 03, 06:10 PM
I just had to vote for freestyle.
there is no way you can play hockey on a trials uni.

peter

--
unitulip - Not a 3 inch Gazz fan
unitulip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/599

thinuniking
December 3rd 03, 07:10 PM
why?there more stable, look so much cooler, and the metal pedals will do
much more damage to the other players there better than freestyles

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

The_SkunkMan
December 3rd 03, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing trial unis are more expensive?

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

joe
December 3rd 03, 10:50 PM
unitulip wrote:
> *I just had to vote for freestyle.
> there is no way you can play hockey on a trials uni.
>
> peter *

Really?

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/joeshockey/hockey1.sized.jpg]

Simon:
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albums/joeshockey/100_0014.sized.jpg]

:p

I do now play on my freestyle/hockey uni, as my trials now has 140
cranks (too long) and metal pedals (which i cant be bothered to take off
every week!)

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

unicycleboy
December 3rd 03, 11:01 PM
Well i disagree!! i think trials ride like a bag of sh!t plus freestyle
are twice as fast, better for tricks and are better for coasting
on!!!!

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

super_evill
December 3rd 03, 11:40 PM
Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials is
way better for hopping, and you can go way fast on a trials(or at least
I can). Trials are way more stable and all around better too.

--
super_evill - Level 4

"Whadda ya want me to do, whack a guy, off a guy, whackoff a guy, cuz
I'm married"- Peter Griffin

super_evill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4492

XWonka
December 4th 03, 06:27 AM
super_evill wrote:
> *Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
> is way better for hopping, *

:confused:

Nice to meet you Captain Obvious!!!

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"Man, I hope time travel is possible. Because I'd like to go back and
coldcock this one dude." -Flordia Cracker

What happened to a world where people could spell stuff wrong without
being oppressed by the man?
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

Klaas Bil
December 4th 03, 06:35 AM
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:31:04 -0600, XWonka
> wrote:

>Man, freestyle is getting it's ass kicked in the poll.

Strange expression. It must be ahead if its ass can be kicked. :-)
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

joe
December 4th 03, 09:56 AM
unicycleboy wrote:
> *Well i disagree!! i think trials ride like a bag of sh!t plus
> freestyle are twice as fast, better for tricks and are better for
> coasting on!!!!
>
> Trev *

Ok, trev!

I get your point! If the tyre is running really low psi, it does for
like a bag of.

But a hard tyre can be really fast, and handle well!

I only used my trials while my freestyle was out of action, and found it
fine.

Yes, the freeestyle is faster, but just because it has 125 cranks!

I do find the freestyle easier for doing tricks on, though. It is much
lighter, but if the freestyle is not to hand, tricks can be done on the
trials.

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

Memphis Mud
December 4th 03, 12:43 PM
You can do freestyle on a Trials if you want

You can do Trials on a MUni if you want

You can do MUni on a 29r or even a Coker if you want

The underlying theme is back to my earlier thread on "If you could only
have one Uni, what would it be?" (The MUni won out, by the way, because
it was the only unicycle that could bridge all gaps into all
disciplines. It wouldn't be great at anything but MUni, but would be
possible in the others)

But the mighty CCCP is defunked. So you can have, and will want, a uni
for every occasion. No one can ride just one oner.:D

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

joona
December 4th 03, 12:57 PM
super_evill wrote:
> *Trials is way better for hopping, and you can go way fast on a
> trials(or at least I can). Trials are way more stable and all around
> better too. *

And with a trials uni you can jump over other players without worrying
of breaking the cranks.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)