PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done a spin class?

Sofa
December 2nd 03, 12:19 PM
How can a person, so into cycling, endurance, and overall fitness feel
like such a piece of crap at a spin class? (stationary bike sessions at
the gym, with an instructor...the person who yells to put more
resistance on...constantly... and other riders)

What an intense workout, sure it's not unicycling (well, I guess it
technically is!) but if you have these sessions in your local gym, check
them out

The music they play is very condusive to prolonged bursts of energy.

I think all riders could benefit from it, as none of your rides are this
intense. (cardio-ly, anyways, the balance is a little easier)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

T-T-T- Tuni

(to the popular Chia pet theme)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Rowan
December 2nd 03, 01:40 PM
Sofa wrote:
> *if you have these sessions in your local gym, check them out*
No thanks Sofa, I would prefer to have sessions in the forest whilst on
a MUni expedition. I can't understand how people pay to get cooped up
inside on a treadmill or excercise-bike, when they could go out running
or cycling for real. I am not a fitness freak and most of the excercise
I do is a coincidence.

--
Rowan
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

joe
December 2nd 03, 01:55 PM
I have not done one personally, as I'm only 15, but my dad goes to spin
classes every Monday night, sometimes in the morning too. He loves
cycling. I goes out in the morning and does 60 miles on his safety
cycle, then comes home, we have lunch, then we go on a Muni for a few
hours, then he sometimes goes to the gym.

That sort of made it sound like he is an excersise freak - he is not, he
spends loads of time with me and my sister... but he really enjoys doing
anything to do with cycling! :)

i'll stick to one wheel!

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

hell-on-wheel
December 2nd 03, 02:20 PM
I always thought gyms were a huge waste of kinetic energy. All that
stuff being lifted up and down, but nothing actually productive being
done (except getting a work-out). What kind of animals are we that we
don't move our muscles enough in day to day life and so have to set
aside time to do work whose only purpose is to move our muscles?

So, I always thought it'd be a cool idea to hook up all the work-out
equipment to generators that powered the gym, or heck, the whole city.
That way, people working out would actually feel like they're
accomplishing something.

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Sofa
December 2nd 03, 02:50 PM
Rowan wrote:
> *No thanks Sofa, I would prefer to have sessions in the forest whilst
> on a MUni expedition. I can't understand how people pay to get cooped
> up inside on a treadmill or excercise-bike, when they could go out
> running or cycling for real. I am not a fitness freak and most of the
> excercise I do is a coincidence. *

This makes for a great intro to a weight workout.
And is far better cardio training that unicycling can accomplish.

Unicycling is great for toning, but real crappy for actually building
muscle. Sure you can built a tiny bit, but certainly nothing like
weight training.

The stronger your muscles are, the harder you can ride for longer.

I love forest expeditions, but they aren't everything I need in a
physical fitness routine.

And let's not forget what time of the year this is...I'll be getting out
less and less now for MUni rides, although weekly gym meets are always a
great burn, this cardio training will be nothing but extremely
beneficial, or so Kris Holm will be shouting from far behind me at the
24 hour race in the fall :)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

T-T-T- Tuni

(to the popular Chia pet theme)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Rowan
December 2nd 03, 03:17 PM
Sofa wrote:
> *This makes for a great intro to a weight workout.
> And is far better cardio training that unicycling can accomplish.
>
> Unicycling is great for toning, but real crappy for actually building
> muscle. Sure you can build a tiny bit, but certainly nothing like
> weight training. *
Who are you trying to impress? Unicycling is way more fun and that is
what matters to me. My muscles (or lack of) can build themselves without
my help. Extra upper body muscles will just be extra weight when
climbing hills and doing drops. If I wanted to do weights I would get a
job as a labourer, and that way I would be getting paid to exercise
instead of paying a gym to exercise. Why don't you just build yourself a
really heavy unicycle or go out riding wearing a suit of armour or some
diving weights? Or you could do some high altitude training in the Alps
somewhere if you wanted to get really technical about your 24 hour race
training regime. > -Originally posted by Hell-on-wheel-
> *I always thought it'd be a cool idea to hook up all the work-out
> equipment to generators that powered the gym, or heck, the whole city.
> That way, people working out would actually feel like they're
> accomplishing something.*
Good idea! Alternatively you could set up electrodes on the equipment in
the gym, and when people start slacking, the electricity provided by the
other gym-goers could provide an electric shock to motivate the lazy
people into working harder.

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Sofa
December 2nd 03, 03:47 PM
Rowan wrote:
> *Who are you trying to impress? *

I'm not trying to impress anyone. I am thinking of the future. I
thought it might be nice to be healthy when I'm 70, and the muscle and
bone density that I am building now will help me accomplish that.

You'd have to be crazy to think you aren't accomplishing anything by
workout out at a gym.

Rowan wrote:
> *Unicycling is way more fun and that is what matters to me. *

Of course it's way more fun, that's why I do both. No need for you to
to both, I suppose.

After re-reading my original post, I see that when I said 'at your local
gym' I meant 'at the gym you are a member of' I see how it could be
taken in the wrong context. I was directing the comment at people who
already are in the know of how benifical a gym is, not trying to
convince the lazy, or unwilling to join up.

Just because you can ride a Unicycle in dirt, doesn't make you healthy.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

T-T-T- Tuni

(to the popular Chia pet theme)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

GILD
December 2nd 03, 03:49 PM
Sofa wrote:
> *How can a person, so into cycling, endurance, and overall fitness
> feel like such a piece of crap at a spin class? *

i used to do quite a bit of spinning long before my unicycling days and
i keep threatening to go back
it's a whole hell of a lot of fun and a blistering work-out to boot
the music and the level of effort combines to make it real easy to
achieve a headspace way beyond the confines of a gym and that makes for
a very enjoyable work-out

i've allways wanted to see them hook-up a fan to that wheel that u are
turning as frantically as u do
at least u'll have something to cool u down
i'm quite a sweater and used to drench at least two sweatbands in a
45min class
it's great fun and u HAVE to try it at least a couple of times
(the first class is sooo hectic, u have to catch a coule more to get the
idea)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more
hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have
ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow
'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Rowan
December 2nd 03, 03:54 PM
Sofa wrote:
> *Just because you can ride a Unicycle in dirt, doesn't make you
> healthy. *
Never said it does. I don't mind if I am healthy or not. If I wanted to
be totally healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol or stay up too
late, and how fun would that be? By the way I meant the other type of
'sessions' in the forest, the unhealthy (yet fun) kind*.

*I'd better clarify that... I meant smoking herbs.

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

grey
December 2nd 03, 03:55 PM
hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *So, I always thought it'd be a cool idea to hook up all the work-out
> equipment to generators that powered the gym, or heck, the whole city.
> That way, people working out would actually feel like they're
> accomplishing something. *

This idea should be forwarded to Ralph Nader, or your senator! People
should be giving something back to their community!

--
grey - George Kleinert

"The feeling is weird - sort of like learning to use a single-wheel
prosthetic device to keep the earth away." - cyberbellum
grey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4330

Sofa
December 2nd 03, 04:06 PM
Rowan wrote:
> *Never said it does. I don't mind if I am healthy or not. If I wanted
> to be totally healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol or stay up
> too late, and how fun would that be? By the way I meant the other type
> of 'sessions' in the forest, the unhealthy (yet fun) kind*.
>
> *I'd better clarify that... I meant smoking herbs. *

I never said 'Totally' healthy ;)

That's what I like about MUni...the personal trainers get mad when you
spark one up at the weightbench.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

T-T-T- Tuni

(to the popular Chia pet theme)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

wobbling bear
December 2nd 03, 04:07 PM
grey wrote:
> *
> This idea should be forwarded to Ralph Nader, or your senator! People
> should be giving something back to their community! *

there is an old (early sixties) south-african story about that:
there was a ranch (actually I dunno how they call a "ranch" in
south-africa)
and to get in you had to go past a revolving door.
at a party people complained to the ranchers that their door was in
need of some grease to ease the pushing for it was really hard.

well no way said the rancher with every turn there is a gallon of
water
going to the citern up the roof!

bear

--
wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

hell-on-wheel
December 2nd 03, 04:35 PM
Rowan wrote:
> *I don't mind if I am healthy or not. If I wanted to be totally
> healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol or stay up too late, and
> how fun would that be? *

I have to agree with Rowan's sentiments here. Though health is
important to me, happiness is even more so. Now, to a certain extent,
the two go hand in hand - I'm never very happy when I feel like crap.
But I also don't imagine I'd be very happy stuck inside all day lifting
and setting down heavy objects while never actually doing anything
productive. Sure I may live long, but what for? I need a purpose, I
need meaning in my life.

So, if I am working out, I want to have fun doing it, even if that means
sacrificing the "quality" of my work-out. But who am I to say that Sofa
doesn't thoroughly enjoy pedaling in place in a bland, sweat-reaking
room, constantly being yelled at while speakers blast the Mortal Kombat
theme song?

To each his own.

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

Sofa
December 2nd 03, 04:49 PM
hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *
>
> But I also don't imagine I'd be very happy stuck inside all day
> lifting and setting down heavy objects while never actually doing
> anything productive.
> *

5 hours a week is hardly 'all day', and like I said, it's incredibly
productive. I am basing this on physical productivity. Think about
it...if we're aren't talking about physical productivity, what good is
unicycling?

hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *
>
> Sure I may live long, but what for? I need a purpose, I need meaning
> in my life.
> *

You'll live the same amount of time, you will just have a different
purpose...whether it's continuing to be an active person, or barely
managing to get out of your chair (if at all)

hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *
> So, if I am working out, I want to have fun doing it, even if that
> means sacrificing the "quality" of my work-out. But who am I to say
> that Sofa doesn't thoroughly enjoy pedaling in place in a bland,
> sweat-reaking room, constantly being yelled at while speakers blast
> the Mortal Kombat theme song?
>
> To each his own. *

If you have not participated in the activity, how can you say? If you
did it and hated it, fine. If you've never done it, you'd be suprised
at how enjoyable it really is. (I was)

But like you said, to each his own. I'm just glad I can make an
informed decision on the matter, instead of assuming I hate it.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

T-T-T- Tuni

(to the popular Chia pet theme)
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

hell-on-wheel
December 2nd 03, 05:24 PM
Yeah, I didn't really decide that gyms, and especially stationary bike
classes, weren't for me until after about a month of regular visitation
to the VCU gym (I had free membership as a student). I thought it would
be a good way to train for the MS Bike Tour. Every time I went I felt
like I was at church, constantly looking at my watch, wanting nothing
more than for it to end. It felt like an obligation.

Then I decided that actually going out and unicycling was more fun.
When I uni, I'm not focused on any goal, just enjoying the moment. I
guess I'm just a big fan of scenery.

I try to only talk about things I've actually experienced. I'm a big
advocate of "Don't knock it til you've tried it."

I tried it, and it sucked!

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

dazedNcontused
December 2nd 03, 05:39 PM
Spinning rocks. It's a great workout, and - like Sofa said - a lot more
fun than you'd think. It's a great way to keep, or even build, fitness
in the off-season. It fits into your day better than most things,
doesn't trash your knees like running, and because it's fun it's easier
to get motivated to go.

Working out for its' own sake, or to get fit for other things, isn't for
everybody. It tends to have more appeal when the gap between what you
can do when you're in shape and when you're not becomes more apparent -
this can be with age or in competition. Nothing like watching your
buddy (that you used to be faster than) start running or working out and
suddenly start kicking your ass! Also, it appeals more when your life
gets to a point where you don't get enough exercise as a matter of
course...

I did a lot of spinning a couple of winters ago and I came into the
spring really strong. It's tough to get regular exercise outside here
in winter - I ski weekends but that's not great for cardio. Spinning
fills in the gaps nicely.

Anyway, if it sounds like it fits your profile I heartily recommend
giving it a try -

Tim

--
dazedNcontused - go play in the snow!

She was so impressed she didn't even roll her eyes. - Harper
dazedNcontused's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2147

Mike McDermott
December 4th 03, 10:52 AM
I think a really good exercise is juggling clubs on a uni. Exercise for legs
and arms. I typically go about 2 miles,
juggling about half the way. The instability of it makes it twice the
exercise of just unicycling, plus, you develop
coordination. I've been doing it for about a year, and still getting better
at it

"hell-on-wheel" >
wrote in message
om...

> Yeah, I didn't really decide that gyms, and especially stationary bike
> classes, weren't for me until after about a month of regular visitation
> to the VCU gym (I had free membership as a student). I thought it would
> be a good way to train for the MS Bike Tour. Every time I went I felt
> like I was at church, constantly looking at my watch, wanting nothing
> more than for it to end. It felt like an obligation.
>
> Then I decided that actually going out and unicycling was more fun.
> When I uni, I'm not focused on any goal, just enjoying the moment. I
> guess I'm just a big fan of scenery.
>
> I try to only talk about things I've actually experienced. I'm a big
> advocate of "Don't knock it til you've tried it."
>
> I tried it, and it sucked!
>

> --
> hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma
>
> On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
> hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/29184

joona
December 4th 03, 01:35 PM
I tried spinning once. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.
It's something I could do if I wanted to really start working out. But I
prefer outdoors. So if I wan't a good cardio work out I'll just go to
this quite long and steep hill nearby and ride it up and down on my uni
or bike. There's also a DH track in the forest next to the road, about
30 meters away from the road. So I can do MUni too.

I lift weighs sort of regularly. I do it when I feel like it and I have
weights here in my flat. So while watching TV or doing something similar
I usually lift weights too.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

johnfoss
December 4th 03, 11:18 PM
hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *I always thought gyms were a huge waste of kinetic energy. *
It's not a waste if you are benefitting from it. Some people like going
to the gym and it works for them. I'm not one of them.
> *What kind of animals are we that we don't move our muscles enough in
> day to day life and so have to set aside time to do work whose only
> purpose is to move our muscles?*
My new car has doors that open and close when you push a button.
Depending on one's situation, there is less and less physical labor we
do all the time. "Labor saving devices" are making us fat. Many people
have jobs that don't allow much chance to exercise, like sitting in
front of a computer all day. Riding to work is a good solution for me,
but I'm more reluctant to do it in the dark (after we changed the
clocks). For some, the gym works. Spin classes are probably more
interesting than solo working out, as you have more motivation to "keep
up" or match the people around you.

Also, as we age, our bodies get less and less good at regulating
themselves. When you're in your teens and 20s, many people don't need to
do anything. Wait til you get a little older... :p
> *So, I always thought it'd be a cool idea to hook up all the work-out
> equipment to generators that powered the gym, or heck, the whole city.
> *
At my local gym, which I went to about twice, they have pedaling
machines with web browsers and TVs on them. You have to maintain a
certain rpm to have a picture. Unfortunately I don't think the actual
pedaling is generating any electricity. Most people can't pedal that
much. At the Ontario Science Center in Toronto, they have an exercise
bike connected to a set of lights. If you pedal fast enough, the lights
come on bright enough for you to see yourself on the TV screen in front
of you. You're powering the lights, but not the TV. Those lights are
enough work!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

michael_scalisi
December 4th 03, 11:38 PM
At SLI in Hopland, CA they have excercise cycles hooked up to a
generator which is hooked up to charge an array of batteries. .....I
think its mainly for demonstration purposes, but it COULD be hooked up
to someting useful.

--
michael_scalisi
michael_scalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4511

toddw9
December 8th 03, 10:56 PM
I'd like to start going to a gym, I know the benefits are huge. I just
have a hard time actually committing to a regular work out schedule. It
just seems to me there's so many more fun things to do. Maybe if they
had a stationary unicycle...

--
toddw9 - Gettin better at it by the day
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

Sofa
December 8th 03, 10:58 PM
the children's museum our club is doing a show for on saturday has a
stationary unicycle, I'll take pics!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'You can usually engineer something to be fool proof, but never
damn-fool proof' - cyberbellum
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

toddw9
December 8th 03, 11:05 PM
That would be great. Don't think I've ever even heard of one before.

--
toddw9 - Gettin better at it by the day
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

Google