PDA

View Full Version : Fame & fortune, or a newspaper article, at least.

TonyMelton
December 2nd 03, 11:20 PM
I was interviewed by the East & Bays Courier about 6 weeks ago, just
after the Australian UniNats. The article has finally appeared 'online'
(http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2746071a11,00.html) today and may
be in today's issue of the paper. The photographer made me do 'hands in
the air' to get the shot he wanted. Not too bad an article, I guess.
Brief, but.

tony

No 'natch

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

harper
December 2nd 03, 11:51 PM
Cool article, Tony. Tell them I have a nice shot of you pounding on a
crank with a rock if they're going for the real macho he man angle.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

TonyMelton
December 3rd 03, 12:30 AM
That's great Greg! I'll also give them a copy of your 'Bathing Beauty
with unicycle' photo at the same time...

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

pete66
December 3rd 03, 12:33 AM
Good work tony! How many kiwis do you reckon will be wanting to go to
Japan? Surely we'd be able to hook up some sponsorship deal (XSTV?) to
help get a few of us over there?

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

muniracer
December 3rd 03, 12:46 AM
TonyMelton wrote:
> *That's great Greg! I'll also give them a copy of your 'Bathing Beauty
> with unicycle' photo at the same time... *

and how can I get MY hands on this photo?

:D

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

TonyMelton
December 3rd 03, 12:51 AM
pete66 wrote:
> *Good work tony! How many kiwis do you reckon will be wanting to go to
> Japan? Surely we'd be able to hook up some sponsorship deal (XSTV?)
> to help get a few of us over there? *

I'm hoping for 4 Kiwis to go to UNICON next year. That way we can double
the size of the previous New Zillin team.

Yep, sponsorship would be great!

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

James_Potter
December 3rd 03, 01:09 AM
Cool article, and congrats on winning.
The most entertaining thing I found on that page was over to the left:
World News....Sports....Business....Lord of the Rings....Politics....

What is wrong with that picture?

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *GILBY* hadn't
killed it.-

Rowan
December 3rd 03, 02:54 AM
> -Originally in the News-
> *six winning medals for the obstacle course, the 800 metre and 400
> metre races, the off road race, the 10 kilometre marathon and the 100
> metre relay.
>
> Mt Melton's next goal is to establish an official New Zealand unicycle
> sporting organisation*

10 kilometer marathon? Surely unicyclists could handle a 26 mile (41.3k)
race if people do it on foot in regular marathons. Ken did 160k at
Taupo. Still 10k is still a pretty long race but I would call it an
endurance event rather than a marathon. Nice work in beating those
Aussies in six events Tony. When will you announce the establishment of
your official New Zealand unicycle sporting organisation?

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

keaner
December 3rd 03, 05:30 AM
Looks like your racing against yourself ?

Who did you beat?

How many riders were there?

Is that a 20"?

Where's your helmet?

keaner - unicycler
keaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2350

joona
December 3rd 03, 10:44 AM
muniracer wrote:
> *
>
> and how can I get MY hands on this photo?
>
> :D *

'_Not_for_the_minors_or_faint_of_heart_' (http://tinyurl.com/xicy) It's
THE picture!!! Of Harper!! Don't look!!

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Rowan
December 3rd 03, 10:57 AM
TonyMelton wrote:
> *I'm hoping for 4 Kiwis to go to UNICON next year. That way we can
> double the size of the previous New Zillin team.
>
> Yep, sponsorship would be great!*
So, you are going to get Me, You, Ben, and Ken sponsored to go eh? Peter
and Steve will have to sit this one out. Peter didn't even compete in
the NZUni 100m or 400m races, I wonder if he is as fast as Tony. I had
the advantage of 7mm shorter cranks than Tony (145mm vs 152mm) and won
via manipulation of the open entry rules.

Keaner, Tony is riding his Custom 20x2.5" TUni (if I am not mistaken),
and that looks like a pose shot after he'd won the races and come home,
rather than a race against himself.

Tony, what unicycles were you riding in the race events? Was there
restrictions on wheelsize or crank length?TonyMelton wrote:
> *Muniracer - I'm sure someone here can provide a link to that infamous
> photo. I dare you to! Come on people, don't be shy.*
No, not 'the photo'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/faces/aam?full=1)!
http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/schild/Why.gif][/url]

[i]
> -Originally posted by James_Potter-
> *The most entertaining thing I found on that page was over to the
> left:
> World News....Sports....Business....Lord of the Rings....Politics....
>

> What is wrong with that picture?*
[image: http://www.addis-welt.de/smilie/smilie/lord/gandolf.gif] Lord of
the Rings should have been at the top of the list, way above sports,
business and world news. At least politics was kicked to the end of the
line as the least important news.

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

GizmoDuck
December 4th 03, 01:18 AM
Nice article Tony!

Well done- where are the Aussie Uninats results just out of interest?

Ken :)

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

TonyMelton
December 4th 03, 01:35 AM
Yes, in the photo I am riding my custom made tuni, in Auckland (not
Canberra).

Keaner - there were 60 riders at the 2003 UniNats. My main racing
competition was Simon Wells of Queensland. He won the 100m, 400m, and
numerous other events. Alex Toms set an Australian high jump record of
72cm and a long jump record of 1.90m. He says hes Australia's best
mountain and trials unicyclist, but I still beat him by minutes in the
MUni race and Peter Bier's long jump at UNICON XI (1.98m) is bigger than
his; but we'll forgive him, poor Ozzie! :D Here's his 'site'
(http://tinyurl.com/xmw9)

Ken - the UniNats results haven't been officially published yet. I have
a copy of preliminary results if yr interested.

Rowan - normal IUF rules applied for racing - 24" wheel (diameter no
bigger than 24 1/3" ie no Gazzaloddis) and 125mm cranks. (I used my MUni
with a racing tyre on). Any size wheel and cranks are OK for the MUni
race and high and long jumps. There was an 'unlimited' class for the
marathon for Cokers, 26", 28" and 29ers.

Tony

No s

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home