PDA

View Full Version : shoes what are good?shorts?

thinuniking
December 3rd 03, 09:48 AM
there are loads and loads of threads about shoes and general clothing
but none so far about laces so they do not get left out what kind of
laces do you use?i find fat ones are no good for muni as they catch on
stuff and get ripped to shreds any one else find this?
also shorts what shorts are good for riding with out having to wear
cycling shorts under them?
also any one know when the kris holm clothes are coming out and ruff
prices for them??

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

AccordNSX
December 3rd 03, 04:54 PM
I use an older pair of Axo Dually 661s w/ stock laces.

--
AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

Mikefule
December 3rd 03, 05:10 PM
Wow, the power of the internet! Here we can seek or exchange advice on
the correct choice of shoe laces when riding a one wheeled bike! Can't
write too much as I need to nip over to the theology forum (Recreation
Sport Godbothering) to answer a thread on how many angels can dance on
the head of a pin. (In essence, it depends on four variables: the
average girth of the angels, the size of the pin, the dance, and the
speed of the music.)

But to answer the questions here:

You don't want your showlaces to come undone, and you don't want them to
get caught on the pedal, pedal spindle or crank, or in the wheel. So I
use flat laces and tie them with a double bow, keeping the loops small.
I have not had a lace in the mechanism related accident since about
1989, although I did have a close call this summer when I only used
single bows.

Shorts? The important thing is not the padding (although that helps)
but the cut. Ordinary shorts or trousers (and especially jeans) will
ride up and cut off the circulation. Wear padded Lycra cycling shorts
(or other purpose-made cycle shorts) and if you wear anything over the
top of those, make sure that it is something stretchy with no thick seam
in the crotch.

But mainly, just ride the bloomin' thing.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

A young girl was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth then
rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coastguard spokesman
commented, "This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

GizmoDuck
December 4th 03, 01:11 AM
thinuniking wrote:
> *there are loads and loads of threads about shoes and general clothing
> but none so far about laces so they do not get left out what kind of
> laces do you use?i find fat ones are no good for muni as they catch on
> stuff and get ripped to shreds any one else find this?
> also shorts what shorts are good for riding with out having to wear
> cycling shorts under them?
> also any one know when the kris holm clothes are coming out and ruff
> prices for them?? *

I get to preach the virtues of the Salomon fastening system again! :o

I use the Salomon Raidrace shoes which have a kevlar lacing system
www.salomonsports.com . They are like a sleeping bag sort of pull-up
fastening system that you can do up in less than a second, hence
allowing you more time to ride your unicycle. But best of all, they do
not get tangled up in your axle to cause a painful faceplant. And you
don't have to muck around trying to tuck your laces away.

You can buy these laces separately to retrofit your regular shoe.
Salomon also make a skate style shoe which looks quite good for Trials
riding.

As for shorts, check out the 'NZONE Dobies' (www.n-zone.co.nz) .

Good luck,

Ken