PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good MUni.

XWonka
December 3rd 03, 06:32 PM
Hey Guys,

I’m really trying hard to find a good MUni for me. I really would like
to have one before I go to Blackhills this summer. But all these hubs
and frames... got me all bug-a-boo. I really don’t know what to do.
Here’s some questions.

Are square taper hubs really that bad? I really don’t have a ton of
money to throw around so it appears this is all I can afford. Would it
really be worth it to wait till after Blackhills and save all summer and
get a better Muni?

What is the best overall deal for a MUni? Obviously, the Nimbus is cheap
but so is the cycle. Is there really a uni where I get what I pay for
it? (The Onza Doesn’t look too bad)

Wheel size has me all befuddled. I know that 24” is easier for uphill,
but 29” can take bumps better, but what else should I know about wheel
size?

Where else besides Unicycle.com could i get one? It might be cheaper do
buy from another forum member, or even eBay.

I really don’t want to spend more than $500 on a unicycle especially
since I don’t MUni often. Although if I did have one I might go out on
it more.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"Man, I hope time travel is possible. Because I'd like to go back and
coldcock this one dude." -Flordia Cracker

What happened to a world where people could spell stuff wrong without
being oppressed by the man?
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

muniracer
December 3rd 03, 06:45 PM
here is my opinion:

i think the square tapered is fine. it is what i use and i have had no
problem with it. i have done some pretty technical trails but mostly
just moderate stuff. my wheel has stayed mostly true as well. may i
suggest getting the suzue hub, dx32 wheelset from uni.com. you could
get the gazzo or you could save some money and get the arrow downhill.
it is what i use and works for me. then get a yuni 24" or 26" frame
(uni.com says that a 3" tire wont fit on the 24" frame but i have seen
it done, it just depends on what kind of clearance you want). a kh seat
too. i use torker cranks because they are $12 and hold up better than
the other inexpensive square tapered cranks (dont get bicycle euros!
ibroke them after one weekend of uni). any pinned platform pedals will
do. i currently use bulletproof but i am switching because i just bent
the spindle in my second pair. this all amounts to under 350, which is
a good deal!

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

one wheeled stallion
December 3rd 03, 06:58 PM
I guess it depends on what you're going to do on it- a lot of hopping or
strictly trails? I used a Suzue hub for a while and it lasted, tho as
has been mentioned, the Bike Euro cranks bent!

I use a Kris Holm hub and cranks now which are really strong.

I use a 24x3.0 (KH uni) tyre which just absorbs roots and stuff as
though they're not there. It also makes your wheel diameter the same as
a 26" one. I've not ridden a 24x2.6 (Onza uni), but I've heard there is
a large difference and that it is better suited to cross country stuff
rather than hardcore muni- Could be wrong tho!

If it were me, I'd save up and get either the KH Muni or the Onza one.
Depends what you wanna do with it like I said tho!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

thinuniking
December 3rd 03, 07:05 PM
www.municycle.com has less choice than uni.com but the munis are really
cool and cheepish

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

one wheeled stallion
December 3rd 03, 07:13 PM
Damnit! I knew there was somthing I meant to say... But Thinuniking just
said it! Yeah- splined hub munis on the low-low! municycle.com! Great
site, plus Roland is really useful!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

carjug
December 3rd 03, 07:37 PM
Read The product reviews section of this site, it has some splendid
essays, especially the one I wrote about my Pashley 29er,{tsk, tsk},
then get yourself a 26 inch inch muni with a 3 inch Gazzy tire on it. It
might not be the 'perfect' thing for you, but you will love it, and you
won't find yourself wishing for one later. Hub type may not be that
important if you aren't doing big drops. If you are a shredder the
splined hub may be in the works as well.

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

redwelly
December 3rd 03, 08:06 PM
People often seem to claim that 24x3" tyres are as big as normal 26"
ones. Could someone give some actual outside diameters of a 24x3 Gazz
etc? My 24x2.6" Onza Kenda tyre seems to be 24.5" outside diameter when
inflated.

- Sam

--
redwelly - [ this space for rent ]
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

Checkernuts
December 3rd 03, 08:18 PM
Give Darren Bedford a shout out, he'll hook you up with style

He is able to ship from the states on occasion so ask him about what he
can do for you.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

teachndad
December 3rd 03, 08:26 PM
> Could someone give some actual outside diameters of a 24x3 Gazz etc?

25.5"

Also, buy something that you can grow into. If you go cheap, there
isn't much you can do, if you start wanting to do drops and hops over
trail obstacles. They are really fun and you might eventually "go
there". I went cheap with the Sem XLW. Then wanted a Gazz 3.0. So, I
had to buy another Muni. If I had just bought something that had
clearance for a Gazz 3.0, then I would have saved myself some cash.

Pay a little extra, if at all possible, to get something that will grow
with your skills. Say the KH for example.

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to
compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to
reach challenging goals. - Sir Edmund Hillary

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

UniLoose
December 3rd 03, 08:52 PM
From my personal experience, i would suggest a 24" Onza, as its
basically invincible. I've used it for Muni, Trials, Street and
Freestyle and as long as you don't go totally overboard its perfectly
stable and really strong. I've done stairs, 2ft drops and cranklands
with it and its outlived both of my mates unis, who both have square
tapered hubs that have twisted out. Of course, it depends on how extreme
you are likely to go, but i would strongly recommend splined cranks,
especially on a $500 budget.

On the issue of size, mine is a 24" rim with a 2.6" kenda kinetics tyre
with 165 splined cranks, and its not as quick as my mates unis, but the
extra length really helps on muddy hills, and as far as i can tell the
bumb absorbtion is fine for mid to extreme trails. For £230 (about
$400?), its the best uni u can get for the price, i'm sure(well it was
when i got it, the KH is out at unicycle.uk.com now ;) )

The only problem i've had with my onza so far is the left hand pedal
bearing is slightly loose, but You never notice it during normal
riding.

Hope this helps.
Rich Lewis

--
UniLoose
UniLoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4962

XWonka
December 3rd 03, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the responses so far, I actually have two more questions...

What makes the Gazz tire so special?

What MUni do you people have and what are your feelings about them?

Also, I'm a pretty beffy guy, that is to say, i'm not lightweight at
all. It seems that a square taper hub won't hold up long under extreeme
conditions (which i most certainly plan on in any event). I may end up
getting a sqare taper hub, probably Suzue since it seems that is the
best choice. but i am still leaning tward splined. I think the Onza may
be out since i would prefer a 24"x3" tire.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"Man, I hope time travel is possible. Because I'd like to go back and
coldcock this one dude." -Flordia Cracker

What happened to a world where people could spell stuff wrong without
being oppressed by the man?
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

teachndad
December 3rd 03, 11:07 PM
> I think the Onza may be out since i would prefer a 24"x3" tire.

Roger Davies says a 3.0 Gazz fits in the Onza.

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

You don't have to be a fantastic hero to do certain things -- to
compete. You can be just an ordinary chap, sufficiently motivated to
reach challenging goals. - Sir Edmund Hillary

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

danger_uni
December 3rd 03, 11:34 PM
XWonka wrote:
> *Thanks for the responses so far, I actually have two more
> questions...
>
> What makes the Gazz tire so special?
>
> What MUni do you people have and what are your feelings about them?
>
> Also, I'm a pretty beffy guy, that is to say, i'm not lightweight at
> all. It seems that a square taper hub won't hold up long under
> extreeme conditions (which i most certainly plan on in any event). I
> may end up getting a sqare taper hub, probably Suzue since it seems
> that is the best choice. but i am still leaning tward splined. I think
> the Onza may be out since i would prefer a 24"x3" tire. *

If you want to save money, compromise on everything except the hub. A
crap MUni with a good hub is way better than a good uni with a crap hub.
If you are a big guy and plan on doing anything at all agressive
beyond basic easy terrain, DEFINATELY get a splined hub. You will not
regret it.

Kris

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

harper
December 4th 03, 12:23 AM
Splined hubs are getting cheaper and easier to get. They are superior to
the square tapered axles. If you want info on the durability of the
tapered axle hubs search the fora for threads pertaining to hub failure
and crank failure.

I'm starting to get kind of nasty with my MUni. I have one of Steve
Howard's anodized aluminum frames, an ALEX DX32 rim, a Gazz, and one of
Steve's stainless steel hub and axle combos. I think the flanges are 304
or 316 but the axle is 17-4 PH hardenable stainless steel and is quite
tough. I don't know if it is tougher than one of the Suzues. I have done
lots of 3 foot drops and a few 4 foot drops onto flat asphalt or
concrete. My cranks tend to round out but I haven't seen any
deterioration of the axle.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

"Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
but, failing that, at least know thyself." - Greg Harper

cjd
December 4th 03, 01:12 AM
XWonka wrote:
> *...
> What MUni do you people have and what are your feelings about them?
>
> Also, I'm a pretty beffy guy, that is to say, i'm not lightweight at
> all. It seems that a square taper hub won't hold up long under
> extreeme conditions (which i most certainly plan on in any event). I
> may end up getting a sqare taper hub, probably Suzue since it seems
> that is the best choice. but i am still leaning tward splined. I think
> the Onza may be out since i would prefer a 24"x3" tire. *

I'm a fairly big guy (105kg), and I haven't managed to break a suzue
hub, although I've had to replace one set of bicycle euro cranks.

In the square taper department, the new wide cr-mo hub may be better
than the suzue. A wider hub makes a wheel that's harder to taco, and
internal threads are less prone to stripping.

I bought my muni (UDC max traction) before the onza came out and the
KH24 crossed the pond. If I was buying one now, I would pony up a few
extra shekels for a splined hub.

That said, the nimbus is an incredible value at $200. There really
aren't any junky parts on it. If you go with the nimbus, and you later
get a splined hub muni, you could put a slick tyre on it and use it for
freestyle.

--
cjd - chris dalton
cjd's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3965

XWonka
December 4th 03, 06:44 AM
Wow! Thanks again for all the feedback. Once again I'm kinda leaning
back -tword- the Onza, knowing i can put a 3.0" wide tire on it, and
that it has a pretty decent splined hub, but i'm still wondering why I
need a Gazz.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"Man, I hope time travel is possible. Because I'd like to go back and
coldcock this one dude." -Flordia Cracker

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

mango
December 4th 03, 07:42 AM
XWonka wrote:
> *... but i'm still wondering why I need a Gazz. *

It's grippy and the size allows you to run it at really low pressure. My
first muni had probably a 2.6 tire or so (it was thinner) and the
difference between that and the gazz was day and night. I could roll
over much crazier stuff and get my trials on with the gazz.

The fact that gazzaloddi has such a reputation amongst muniers alone
should be proof that its great! dude

As for the rest of the muni: You are going to break some part of a
cotterless hub crank setup. YOU WILL! Probably over and over too.

I'd really urge you to go for something splined. If you are a normal
human, you probably won't have to replace it. ;)

have a nice day.

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

carjug
December 4th 03, 08:11 PM
As you could easily guess, if you read my Pashley essay, I don't own a
real muni, I have a 29er. It is great for trail riding, but there have
been a lot of times when I wished I had a three inch tire on the ground
instead of the 2+1/8 raptor. I have only ridden a three inch tire once,
and they are every thing Mango said. Gazzy rocks.

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

danger_uni
December 4th 03, 08:34 PM
carjug wrote:
> *As you could easily guess, if you read my Pashley essay, I don't own
> a real muni, I have a 29er. It is great for trail riding, but there
> have been a lot of times when I wished I had a three inch tire on the
> ground instead of the 2+1/8 raptor. I have only ridden a three inch
> tire once, and they are every thing Mango said. Gazzy rocks. *

Interesting to hear you say this. I don't have a 29" but to me it
seems like they should be better (ie. faster with less rolling
resistance) than a 24x3" for easy cross-country riding, where you are
not hopping a lot or negotiating overly rocky or rooty sections.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

hell-on-wheel
December 4th 03, 10:15 PM
XWonka wrote:
> * but i'm still wondering why I need a Gazz. *

Is your question here "Why do I need a $60 'gazz'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=295), when I could just
get a cheaper 24X3 inch tire like the 'Savage'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=561) or the 'IRC Kujo'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=734)?

I would say it's all about tread pattern and rubber quality. The Gazz
has some pretty extreme knobs, though I haven't really tested out any of
the other 24X3's so maybe they're just as good. Also, I've ridden my
gazz on asphalt quite bit, yet there is hardly any tread wear to speak
of. When I picked up Trip Glazer from AU on the way to the NJ Muni
Weekend, I was surprised at how much the knobs had been worn off his
Savage (that's the tire, not the crappy unicycle company), which he had
owned only a few months.

But yeah, the only reason I got a gazz was because everyone else seemed
to use them. But, who knows, perhaps there's a better 3" tire out there
that simply doesn't have the same name recognition.

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

danger_uni
December 4th 03, 10:40 PM
hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *
>
> Is your question here "Why do I need a $60 'gazz'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=295), when I could
> just get a cheaper 24X3 inch tire like the 'Savage'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=561) or the 'IRC
> Kujo' (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=734)?
>
> I would say it's all about tread pattern and rubber quality. The Gazz
> has some pretty extreme knobs, though I haven't really tested out any
> of the other 24X3's so maybe they're just as good. Also, I've ridden
> my gazz on asphalt quite bit, yet there is hardly any tread wear to
> speak of. When I picked up Trip Glazer from AU on the way to the NJ
> Muni Weekend, I was surprised at how much the knobs had been worn off
> his Savage (that's the tire, not the crappy unicycle company), which
> he had owned only a few months.
>
> But yeah, the only reason I got a gazz was because everyone else
> seemed to use them. But, who knows, perhaps there's a better 3" tire
> out there that simply doesn't have the same name recognition. *

The Gazz has pros and cons to it. I've used one for a few years, but
currently have a stock Duro on my 2004 KH24.

The big knobs, huge volume and stiff sidewalls of the Gazz make it the
best tire for technical downhill and big drops in my opinion. Also, the
square profile means that you have a lot of leeway when riding narrow
logs- you can be practically off the log and still have the square
profile gripping along the tire edge. It also seems to help prevent
slipping sideways when diagonaling across muddy/slippery slopes.

However, the Gazz has some disadvantages as well, compared to the Duro
or Kujo or Arrow or other 3" tires. It's heavier, only slightly but
you do notice it. Also the round profile that's an advantage for log
riding is less friendly for cornering than the rounder profile tires- it
feels noticeably more sluggish in my opinion.

All in all, I'd say that if you focus on technical downhill or ride
somewhere with really sharp rocky terrain and are worried about
pinchflats, spend the extra $$ and get a 3" Gazz. If you are worried
about weight or want more of an all-round tire, the other 24x3" options
may well be better.

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm