PDA

View Full Version : unicycle history

rocky
December 4th 03, 09:43 PM
I am writing a report on the history of the unicycle. I have looked
all over for "The Unicycling Book" and for "The Complete Book of
Unicycling," both by Jack Wiley, but they are not in my university
library or any local libraries. I was wondering if anyone has those
books and could fax the history pages to me with the copyright page so
that I may cite my sources. If this is at all possible just write back
and I will send a private e-mail to you with my fax number. I would
appreciate any help.

SEMPER_UNI
December 4th 03, 10:02 PM
Faxing you those pages would violate everything the copyright page
stands for. it just wouldn't be right.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

sockmonster
December 4th 03, 10:36 PM
The ancestral father of the unicycle was the Penny-Farthing bikes of the
latter 1800s. It's been said that if you stopped abruptly on one, the
whole back end would rise, thus leaving the rider on one wheel. Some
people learned to ride 'em that way.

And thus came about the greatest human invention...

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

Note to self- Never hug a vampire
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

Ken Cline
December 5th 03, 04:50 AM
SEMPER_UNI m> writes:

> Faxing you those pages would violate everything the copyright page
> stands for. it just wouldn't be right.

Not so! Copyright law makes exceptions for fair use. I'm no expert,
but I'd bet that this caase qualifies.

There's a ton of info at fairuse.stanford.edu, I spend a minute there
and found http://www.cetus.org/fair5.html which says:

Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976. Limitations on exclusive
rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair
use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in
copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified in that
section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting,
teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship,
or research, is not an infringement of copyright.

Ken

Mikefule
December 5th 03, 07:53 AM

Those books and similar turn up from time to time if you search
'unicycle' on www.ebay.co.uk

As for the copyright laws: they exist to protect the copyright owners'
income from the work they have written and published. From this it
follows that faxing or photocopying huge extracts to save someone having
to buy a copy is a breach of the letter and the spirit of the law.

It is permissible to copy and quote short extracts (a sentence or two -
possibly a paragraph) but:
1) If you do it for money, you'd be expected to seek permission from
the copyright owner
2) Otherwise, you'd be expected to give credit to the copyright owner
or at least the author.

If something is no longer in print, then the option of buying your own
new copy no longer exists. Therefore, making a copy has no direct
effect on the copyright owner's income from ownership of the copyright,
and you could reasonably expect a greater level of tolerance - you could
get away with more.

If researching a project for your own private enjoyment with no
intention to publish or profit, you can get away with quite substantial
breaches of copyright. If the publication is still in print, then being
able to 'get away with it' doesn't make it right. Chances are that if
someone stole my car and torched it, they'd never be caught; it would
still be wrong.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

A young girl was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth then
rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coastguard spokesman
commented, "This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

JJuggle
December 5th 03, 12:43 PM
rocky wrote:
> *I am writing a report on the history of the unicycle. I have looked
> all over for "The Unicycling Book" and for "The Complete Book of
> Unicycling," both by Jack Wiley, but they are not in my university
> library or any local libraries. I was wondering if anyone has those
> books and could fax the history pages to me with the copyright page
> so
> that I may cite my sources. If this is at all possible just write
> back
> and I will send a private e-mail to you with my fax number. I would
> appreciate any help.
> *
Rocky, if you send me your email I can fax you the section on the
history of unicycling from Sebastian Hoeher's book, "Unicycling from
beginner to expert".

However, I will not, unfortunately, be at a fax machine until this
coming Monday, December 8.

If waiting until next week is not a problem, please use my new email
address, .

You know what to do with the spamsucks bit. :)

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

I have to be careful not to preach
I can't pretend that I can teach,
And yet I've lived your future out
By pounding stages like a clown.

JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

GILD
December 5th 03, 03:30 PM
SEMPER_UNI wrote:
> *Faxing you those pages would violate everything the copyright page
> stands for. it just wouldn't be right. *

that's a pretty serious response
:eek:
doesn't rocky's request for the copyright pages get him a lil'
slack?:confused:

rocky wrote:
> *I am writing a report on the history of the unicycle.
> I was wondering if anyone has those books and could fax the history
> pages to me with the copyright page so that I may cite my sources. *

and if the library had the book and he could do his research from there
and quote his sources, wouldn't the author be as out-of-pocket as he
would be if someone faxed him the requested bits?

i'm very concerned with copyright issues (and therefore only rip and
burn CD's i dont like) but i do think semper may have over-reacted ever
so slightly

my two cents
:cool:

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more
hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have
ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow
'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

SEMPER_UNI
December 5th 03, 03:52 PM
hahaha. My "over reaction" was stated very non seriously. sorry if any
thought i was actually being harsh. I f had the materials being
requested i would have had no problem faxing or otherwise providing
them. I saw the request and jumped to reply.

I thought it was funny, and in my own mind it still is.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

GILD
December 5th 03, 03:56 PM
SEMPER_UNI wrote:
> *hahaha. My "over reaction" was stated very non seriously. sorry if
> any thought i was actually being harsh. *

kewl
pardon a smiley junkie for missing the note of sarcasm in your post
i suspect we're on the same page now

:)

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more
hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have
ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
-- C. P. Snow
'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

harper
December 5th 03, 04:14 PM
Speaking of unicycle history, I recently received some excellent photos
of Floyd Beattie circa 1987. A grad student in my lab is from Athens,
Ohio and remembered seeing Floyd ride all around town when she was a
child. Hearing that I was a unicylist familiar with Floyd's notariety,
her parents looked him up. Floyd delivered 3 nice 8x10's and a hand
written note for me to them. I will scan them soon and post them. Those
interested in high-res versions can contact me.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

mike.hinson
December 5th 03, 07:09 PM
SEMPER_UNI wrote:
> *hahaha. My "over reaction" was stated very non seriously. sorry if
> any thought i was actually being harsh. I f had the materials being
> requested i would have had no problem faxing or otherwise providing
> them. I saw the request and jumped to reply.
>
> I thought it was funny, and in my own mind it still is. *

You had me going, I wanted to FAX the whole book to the guy just as an
over reaction, shame I havent got it...

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"...they all began to chant "You ride a baby bike!!" over and over and
over. Then their chant turned into "you have no hair!!" Which made
absolutely no sense at all. It was hilarious." -- Ender
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

carjug
December 5th 03, 08:45 PM
Penny Farthing riders were the original skatepunks, they would do a
skarey stunt in front of a cop, then ride away before they were caught.
They also had a tendancy to throw their legs over the handlebars and
coast down hills. This was safer than leaving the legs down, and it made
the cops even madder! There is a good bicycle history book upstairs in
the university library where I now sit, and I will try to get a look at
it for you this weekend.
carjug

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

tomblackwood
December 6th 03, 08:20 AM
rocky wrote:
> *I have looked all over for "The Unicycling Book" and for "The
> Complete Book of Unicycling," both by Jack Wiley, but they are not in
> my university library or any local libraries. *

While they may not be in local libraries, at least one--The Complete
Book of Unicycling"--is still commercially available. One source is:
http://www.dube.com/

I don't have a good legal read either way on this one, but since
mikefule brought up the issue of having more leeway when the book is no
longer in print, I thought it worth mentioning.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

cyberbellum
December 6th 03, 02:29 PM
tomblackwood wrote:
> *
> I don't have a good legal read either way on this one, but since
> mikefule brought up the issue of having more leeway when the book is
> no longer in print, I thought it worth mentioning. *

As I understand it, as long as Rocky is not going to resell his faxed
copy he's on solid legal ground wrt fair use. His whole purpose for
asking is to have hard copy references so he can properly cite them in a
scholarly work.

BTW: Rocky, don't forget to use quotes and cite the original author.
Ask your teacher how to do this if you don't know. Otherwise you'll be
guilty of plagerism which is a much more serious crime. Copyright
infringement comes with a fine somewhat proportional to the loss of
revenue; in this case, about $2. Plagerism can get you thrown out of
college or fired with a black mark on your resume, which would reduce
your earning power big time.

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home