PDA

View Full Version : New trials videos - 360 uniflip, 2-step flying jump mount

TonyMelton
December 5th 03, 03:54 AM
These were filmed last night on a trials ride in Auckland central.
Thanks to Stu for filming me. 'Check it!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut54)

Tony

No 'natch

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

uniextreme
December 5th 03, 04:04 AM
Hey those tricks were pretty cool, they reminded me of old school
skateboarding tricks cause you jump off the uni then do the trick then
hop back on.

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

bugman
December 5th 03, 04:20 AM
First of all OUCH!!!

Second, there's two tricks I won't be adding to the list of things to
learn.

Third, Is it really a mount if you never stay on the UNI.

And last... Dude you must have brass balls, the coccyx is the least of
your worries. You are headed for a childless future.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

zach_jucha
December 5th 03, 09:00 AM
Tony you totally rule!!! You're like the most creative rider I've seen
next to Dan Heaton (I'm sure there are more but heh, these are the ones
I've seen). I was pretty bent on getting my hops to be higher but I
ended up damaging my hand from the repetative movements. Nothing
serious, I'm just waiting for it to heal. Anyway in place of the time
I'd be hopping, I should try out some of these kinds of things and think
up more on my own. Do you think it would be possible to go into a
suicide mount from the uniflip instead of grabbing the seat with your
hand? Maybe that wouldn't work but I think their could be ways to make
it more flowing by taking out a hand placement. I think I'll have to
write down a bunch of these stall combo/mount ideas I've been meaning to
work on and just go out and practice them some day soon. Thanks a lot
for the inspiring video clips!!!

- Zachary

--
zach_jucha - A.K.A. Rusty Shackleford

-Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

-The best wealth consists not of money or things or honors or praise,
but of the internal ability to create. The person blessed with
creativity can endure nearly any circumstance for he finds himself
ultimately undefeated after every conflict, brave with endless
ammunition and a spirit forever strong.-

zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Sofa
December 5th 03, 02:09 PM
Wow Tony, you're really talented!

My faves were the robot walk, and that awesome bench jump mount!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'You can usually engineer something to be fool proof, but never
damn-fool proof' - cyberbellum
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

joona
December 5th 03, 02:23 PM
I liked the part where you hit your tailbone. OUCH!:)

That jump mount ove the bench was also nice.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

muniracer
December 5th 03, 07:43 PM
great trick but i must say it has been done before by houston snyder of
hell-on-wheel

http://www.hellonwheel.cjb.net/
(click on videos, then "12 hour")

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

uniryder
December 5th 03, 09:46 PM
nice tricks tony

i think a lot of moves have been done that people haven't seen, because
they were not filmed or have not been released on video.

this is not to take anything away from the people that independently
come up with the moves and rock em, just like to also give some credit
to people i know were doing them before and to keep an accurate
record.

the "360-uni-flip" was done by Adam Ryznar in early 2000. he did both a
crank stall version and a footplant version just as Tony has come up
with. he also did a version where he would crank stall, whip the uni
around, and hop onto the object (picnic table). it didn't become a
functional street move until later 2000, when it could be pulled
straight after a crank stall without adjustments.

i've been calling it a "seat-whip", but i guess uni-flip works too.

-dan

--
uniryder - SYKOproductions
uniryder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/376

TonyMelton
December 6th 03, 05:10 AM
Darn! I thought I'd invented those tricks myself! Oh well, I'll just
have to come up with something else.

I called the 360 uniflip that because a BMXer who saw me do it commented
that it was similar to a BMX trick called a bike-flip. The bike-flip is
an airborne trick, like a tail-whip but the bike rotates about a
horizontal line. As for naming tricks like these I reckon street/trials
unicycling should take up the rock-climbing convention: who ever does it
first gets to name the trick. [In rock climbing the first ascentionist
gets to name the route.] In this case Dan and Adam had already named the
trick, so it should be called seat-whip.

Yeah, doing the flying jump mounts does feel like an old school
skateboarding kind of a trick. Kind like an 'acid drop'.

Zach- I guess a suicide version of seat-whip could be done...it would
certainly be smoother and more styly. The seat tends to come around
pretty fast and the reason I catch it is that otherwise my other hand
would get crushed between the tyre and the frame.

Tony

No sig

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

evilewan
December 6th 03, 08:29 PM
nice videos. nice tricks.

especialy nice since i can actualy watch them on an old computer without
having to scale them down to the size of a postage stamp.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

johnfoss
December 12th 03, 12:05 AM
Great moves Tony, keep it up!

Watching videos from New Zealand, I fully expected them to be upside
down. But I can't figure out why they would be sideways???

Only explanation I can think of is someone who's used to still
photography, holding the camera on its side. I may have been guilty of
the same thing in the past... :rolleyes:

As for naming tricks, actually it usually ends up going to whoever
*names* it first, and spreads the name around. By courtesy you are
accepting the name from Adam, though this trick seems to be relatively
unknown in the unicycling community (until a certain new video comes
out). Another option is to work together and pick the name you think
works best. I kind of like uni-flip because it's a more accurate picture
of what happens. Seat-whip works too though.

As for the flying jump mount, I wonder where you got the name/idea for
that one? The name exists from about 20 years ago, and your rendition,
not counting the bench, is almost identical to the original.

The original was done by Hakan Furuskar (approximate spelling) of Sweden
in 1983. I took a picture of him doing it at the IJA Festival in
Purchase, NY, which was used in the book Anyone Can Ride a Unicycle by
Jack Halpern (English version). Hakan did his mount with only the one
hand, and got nearly as much air as Tony with the bench. I had to draw
in his shadow in the picture so you could see how high he got. I don't
know if this picture exists online.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Klaas Bil
December 12th 03, 05:58 AM
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 18:05:56 -0600, johnfoss
> wrote:

>Watching videos from New Zealand, I fully expected them to be upside
>down. But I can't figure out why they would be sideways???

I hate to blow your bubble (or do I?), but find a globe and look up
California and New Zealand. It's hardly more than 90 degrees. The
NZ'ers being antipodes is a European notion and it is most correct in
Spain and Portugal.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

TonyMelton
December 13th 03, 10:33 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *Great moves Tony, keep it up!
>
> As for the flying jump mount, I wonder where you got the name/idea for
> that one? The name exists from about 20 years ago, and your rendition,
> not counting the bench, is almost identical to the original.
>
> The original was done by Hakan Furuskar of Sweden *

Yes, that's exactly where I got the name from. I've known about this
trick for several years, and is known (at least in TCUC circles) as the
Swedish flying jump mount. Peter Bier has been know to do it on
occasion. Since I'm not Swedish but can, nonethless, take two steps on
a bench I called my variant the 2-step flying jump mount.

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

eljest
March 20th 05, 02:05 AM
I think alex toms call those seat whip and uni flip for "matrix plant"

--
eljest - street & trial

the life is what you make it to
eljest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8460

andrew_carter
March 20th 05, 04:53 AM
Did those not work for anyone else?

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
http://www.unicycles.com.au
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

john_childs
March 20th 05, 08:01 AM
andrew_carter wrote:
> *Did those not work for anyone else?
>
> Andrew *

The videos in Tony's gallery are compressed with the MJPG (MotionJPEG)
codec. Normally Windows Media Player can play those videos as long as
you're using Windows ME, 2000, or XP. For some reason I can't play
those videos in WMP now either. WMP pukes up an error when trying to
play the video. It used to work. Maybe one of the recent Windows
updates messed things up.

In any event, Apply QuickTime can still play MJPG video so use QuickTime
instead.

I'm going to have to hunt around and figure out why WMP can no longer
play MJPG videos. My camera also takes MJPG video and I'd really like
to get it working again so I can easily play the videos from my camera.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

andrew_carter
March 20th 05, 08:29 AM
Ouch! Thanks John, that worked.

Tony,
Very impressive. I think this frame disturbed me the most...where your
wheel has actually bottomed out and yet you have no feet on the
pedals!

Andrew

| Attachment filename: clipboard02.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/289505|

andrew_carter - Learning to unicycle...

*http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/andrew*
http://www.unicycles.com.au
unicycling tips and tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
*'my big movie (51mb, divx)' (http://tinyurl.com/4bxdl)*

tomsey
March 20th 05, 11:35 AM
hey tony....

yeah i know you did it first.

what do you think of the name matrix plant?

--
tomsey - hardcore unicyclist

www.ozextremeunicycling.cjb.net
tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038

eljest
March 20th 05, 12:09 PM
tony wasn't first. Adam Ryznar was the first one to do them in the early
2000.

--
eljest - street & trial

the life is what you make it to
eljest's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8460

Unitik908
March 20th 05, 03:39 PM
dude those were some really cool clips i really liked your little
gliding clip it was soo smooth and your foot plants are really cool to

Chase

--
Unitik908 - Level 5

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...

R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi

TonyMelton
March 21st 05, 01:45 AM
Hey hey this thread's back!

tomsey wrote:
> *
> what do you think of the name matrix plant? *

Matrix plant is a pretty cool name, and I really like your smoother more
refined version. Only thing is it has kinda already been named 'seat
whip' or maybe more accurately 'footplant seat whip'. I feel I should
stick to my principles and say that the first person to do a new
(street) trick gets naming rights. Establishing this convention for
unicycling will reduce future trick-naming confusion.

--
TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

2005 Auckland Muni and Trials Weekend on April 23 to 25 in Auckland. Be
there! 'Muni weekend information and registration'
(http://tinyurl.com/4fagw)
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home