PDA

View Full Version : Poms are spoilt

pete66
December 5th 03, 09:48 AM
I've just been eyeing up the differences in prices on unicycle.com and
have a look at this:

http://tinyurl.com/xu9y

£120 for an Onza Hub and 140mm Crank Set

http://tinyurl.com/xu9z

$600 for an Onza Hub and 140mm Crank Set

UK price converted to NZ dollars: 120 / .3741 = $320.77

I suppose I can expect unicycle parts to be more expensive in NZ because
we aren't importing quite the same quantity but you've gotta agree that
it's a fairly abrupt price difference!

What do you guys reckon about this?

Cheers
Pete

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Checkernuts
December 5th 03, 12:28 PM
Postage from brittian must be steep, I deffenatlly wouldnt have guessed
$280 (NZD) though

in fact.... a quick ups estemite of the product shipped to Auckland is
£230 for a 20kg .5x.5x.5m package ($0 declaired)

It really sucks, but maybe the price is about right concidering...
(that is if they are made in England and not China and just shipped to
you via there, if that was the case you guys should be cheaper by all
means)

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

pete66
December 6th 03, 02:01 AM
Damn! It's cheaper for a pom to buy an Onza Trials Unicycle than for a
kiwi to get an Onza Hub & Cranks...

http://tinyurl.com/xbd

£210.00 = NZ $564

Ah well, it's only money... I really want a good 24" MUni so I think I'm
just gonna sell my mountain bike and hook myself up a KH. In the
meantime I'll probably break the crappy hub on my 20" and replace that
with a "new super hard" $75 CroMoly one.

That way I'll end up with a trick freestyle 20 incher and an awesome 24"
MUni so I'll be sorted. :cool:

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

cyberbellum
December 6th 03, 06:55 AM
What's a pom?

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

pete66
December 6th 03, 08:01 AM
Pom: "Citizen of the country that currently holds the Rugby World
Cup".

You yanks do know what rugby is, right? :D

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

pete66
December 6th 03, 08:34 AM
::*KRIS HOLM 24” MUNI::
From UK site: $685
From US site: $696
From NZ site: $1,050

*::*Kris Holm 20” Trials Unicycle::*
From UK site: $658
From US site: $619
From NZ site: $1,000

*all prices are in (or have been converted to) nz dollars

The American guys seem to get their stuff cheap too. Where in the world
are these parts being manufactured?

Pete

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

phil
December 6th 03, 08:59 AM
pete66 wrote:
> *Pom: "Citizen of the country that currently holds the Rugby World
> Cup".*

Which reminds me... where's Andrew Carter been of late? His last post
was on the 3rd, that's not like him... :p

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

joona
December 6th 03, 09:30 AM
Just to get this thread a bit more off-topic, have you tried rugby on
unicycles? That would be a lot of fun.;) For maximum grip you'd have to
use a studded tire and that would make you hurt other people really
easily.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

redwelly
December 6th 03, 12:01 PM
What a thought. The mind boggles at the image of numberous burly,
sweaty men forming a scrum in the pouring rain, in a mud bath (known as
a 'pitch'), all on studded unicycles. Rugby seems to have enough of a
potential for pain without introducing more bits of metal into the
equation. :)

- Sam

P.S. Would conversion kicks be performed while riding one footed?

--
redwelly - Riding to work
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

joona
December 6th 03, 12:06 PM
Imagine the possibilities. Some guys would be using Cokers for speed,
some would use a 24x3 with 2" spikes and 200mm cranks to get maximum
grip and torque. What a great sport would it be!

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

andrew_carter
December 6th 03, 11:02 PM
> Which reminds me... where's Andrew Carter been of late? His last post
> was on the 3rd, that's not like him...
Wow, it's great to be missed...thanks Phil!

I've done touch footy on unicycles...that worked out really well. You
should all try it.

Pete,

I'm involved in assembling unis for unicycles.com.au so I've had a bit
of experience with shipping costs, etc. You can be sure that the
unicycle.co.nz guys are giving you the best deal they can. The only
solution is to buy heaps of unis from them (and unicycles.com.au while
you're at it) so that the prices can go down a bit. :) I had to pay a
hell of a lot for my custom muni (as I bought the bits separately) and
even with the shipping costs, etc. the same quality uni from
unicycles.com.au and unicycle.co.nz is much cheaper...so stop
complaining. :)

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Rowan
December 7th 03, 01:39 AM
pete66 wrote:
> *Damn! It's cheaper for a pom to buy an Onza Trials Unicycle than for
> a kiwi to get an Onza Hub & Cranks...
>
> Ah well, it's only money... I really want a good 24" MUni so I think
> I'm just gonna sell my mountain bike and hook myself up a KH. *

Be very grateful that Unicycle.co.nz exists. They give way better prices
to NZers than Unicycle.com or Unicycle.uk.com. I have been looking at
fat MUnis for years, and been saving up, totally unaware that Steve,
Tony, and Peter had been working on making Unicycle.co.nz happen. I
bought myself the Wilder Lightrider from America. My one wheel cost me
$4000ish which is the same cost as 20 crappy second hand cars (40
wheels). I paid US$300 to have my Unicycle sent to NZ, not knowing that
Unicycle.co.nz would open very soon afterwards. I thought to myself 'Ah
well it's only money, I may as well get a decent MUni'. I think the
KH24" is a very good deal, two of my friends have them (make that three
if you count Ken from Wellington). Forget how much stuff costs overseas,
and consider what a good deal it is to get someone else to do the
importing for you. $1200 is a good deal for a fat, sturdy, splined MUni
with a brake. I paid about NZ$470 GST, so the cost of shipping my MUni +
GST (minus the MUni) was not far shy of the total cost of a brand new
KH24" from Unicycle.co.nz. I don't care how much I spent, I'm just glad
now I am not bending cranks and snapping axles left right and center
(make that just left and right, I never snapped an axle in the center).

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

pete66
December 7th 03, 02:18 AM
aiight, big ups to Steve, Tony and Peter! Sorry bout that, I simply
didn't have any grasp of the shipping costs involved.

On a new subject, a good tip for any right-handed people considering
doin an airseat conversion; drill the hole for the valve to go through
more to the left side of the seat. That way you don't break the valve
off when saving uni from falling over.

I've broken 2 of them in the last couple of weeks because I inevitably
reach out with my right hand and my fingers knock the valve before
making contact with the lip of the seat.

cheers
Pete

--
pete66 - Verging on Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Rowan
December 7th 03, 10:22 AM
> -Originally posted by Myself-
> *20 crappy second hand cars (40 wheels).*
They must be motorbike cars! I must have meant 80 wheels. Or equal to
the cost of 20 standard Unicycles.

--
Rowan - Another Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772