PDA

View Full Version : help buying for son

December 5th 03, 09:17 PM
i'm shopping for my 13 year old son (5'3" 100lbs) who has
never used a unicycle before. i'm leaning toward the Torker
Unistar LX 24-inch with 48 spoke alloy and miyata style seat.

it's a hundred bucks and seem like a good beginner, but
my wife saw a bunch of Torkers on Ebay so she is wondering
about the quality (like people might be unloading these
on Ebay, 'cause they're cheap)

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

p's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4982

The_SkunkMan
December 5th 03, 09:42 PM
I'm 10 and have only been unicycling for a year oe two. I think a 24"
wheel is a liitle big. I use a 16" ,but i'm short. You should get a 20"
uni for him. I think the torkers are suppose to be good but I never had
one.

--
The_SkunkMan
The_SkunkMan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4936

uni412
December 5th 03, 09:46 PM
Hi. I'm thirteen years old and I'm about the same size as your son. The
torker is a good choice, I also used one to learn. Although he can
probably fit on a 24'' you might want to bring your son to a local bike
shop to see if he'll fit on a 24". I wouldn't buy the unicycle from
ebay because if you have any problems they will be hard to deal with.
Unicycle.com has a great custermor service and will help you with any
problems. When I got my toker it didn't have the bolts to asemble it so
I emailed Unicycle.com and the shipped them to me for free. Good Luck.

--
uni412 - unicycle fanatic
uni412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4707

HandyAndy
December 5th 03, 10:22 PM
torker is a good quality uni for the money, my first uni was a cheep
norco (which cost more then a torker) and looking back i which i had
gotten the torker. i now have a schwinn and am fairly happy with that. i
agree with uni412 that the you should make sure he will fit on a 24, you
can always make the seat post shorter tho. the mane difference between a
20 and a 24 would be speed, a 20 inch is slower and so you wouldnt want
to go any long distance on one. hope that helps

--
HandyAndy - Uni-On-Ice
HandyAndy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3836

duaner
December 5th 03, 11:07 PM
The Torker LX model is a great value for price! The *2004 LX* model is
a somewhat improved version of the already good *2003 black* unistar
model.

uni412 wrote:
> *Unicycle.com has a great custermor service and will help you with any
> problems.*

BUT unicycle.com "Torker Unistar LX" links are still picturing the
*2003* black unistar models (with the round crown), and their
descriptions say "the *2003* Torker line".

So, you may wish to try your local bike stores.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

johnfoss
December 5th 03, 11:52 PM
5'-3" is more than tall enough for a 24" wheel. For a new rider, I think
this is a good all-around size. You can go places, you can learn tricks,
you can get an introduction to pretty much anything. The cycle you are
looking at is an awesome deal for the money.

Enjoy!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Krashin'Kenny
December 6th 03, 02:13 AM
You've made a good choice. The BLACK Unistar is an exceptional uni for a
beginner, especially when the price is considered.

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

UniBrier
December 6th 03, 06:05 AM
duaner wrote:
> *The Torker LX model is a great value for price! The 2004 LX*
> model is a somewhat improved version of the already good *2003 black*
> unistar model.
>
> BUT unicycle.com "Torker Unistar LX" links are still picturing the
> *2003* black unistar models (with the round crown), and their
> descriptions say "the *2003* Torker line".
True, doesn't look like uni.com is selling the 2004 LX yet, they are
selling both the 20 and 24 DX.

I do question the honesty of some e-bay sellers, one says he is selling
2004's but his pics are of the 2003. I sent him an "ask seller a
question" earlier today asking which crown style he was selling but
haven't heard back yet.

There is nothing wrong with the 2003 LX for a beginner unicycle. But the
2004 does have a flat crown.

Good Luck.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek - I've got a one track mind.
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

nathan
December 6th 03, 07:17 AM
Size-wise, my son started on a 16 at age 6, graduated to 20" at age 7,
24" at age 8, 29" at age 11, and just recently to 36" at age 11 3/4. He
is 4' 10 1/2" 90 pounds. So 24" is a fine size for your son. The benefit
of it over 20" is that you can really go somewhere on it.

The Torker is a fine starter unicycle, but as you know, you get what you
pay for. I don't recommend buying anything expensive to start since you
don't know if he's going to love it or not.

Good luck,
Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker