PDA

View Full Version : snow riding and grinding

muniracer
December 6th 03, 03:08 AM
today i was out for my first ride in the snow ever (which was great) and
was doing some sweet power slides, and realized that it is the same as
grinding. the technique is no different. so for you guys posting about
grinding, and if it snows near you, work on some power slides. get a
riding start, wait till your pedals line up, then push your back pedal
forward and down, and you will get a pleasant surprise.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

asqlerth
December 6th 03, 03:25 AM
Forgive my lack of unicycle physics skill/knowledge, but I visualize
myself doing that and landing on my face.

After you slide, how do you recover? Just by starting to pedal once you
slow down enough? On a hill or flat ground? Any kind of tire?

--
asqlerth - ...
asqlerth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3649

grey
December 6th 03, 03:58 AM
asqlerth wrote:
> *Forgive my lack of unicycle physics skill/knowledge, but I visualize
> myself doing that and landing on my face.
> *
or butt!

--
grey - George Kleinert

"The feeling is weird - sort of like learning to use a single-wheel
prosthetic device to keep the earth away." - cyberbellum
grey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4330

muniracer
December 6th 03, 07:45 AM
this was my first time trying it so im by no means an expert. i never
tried sliding more than a couple feet but i would recover by pedalling
again. it works best on a hill but i did some mini power slides on flat
ground. i have a 24x3 knobby tire.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns XWonka!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

joona
December 6th 03, 09:24 AM
You will definitely land on your back rather than face. Atleast this is
what happens to me.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

toddw9
December 7th 03, 12:04 AM
I'm heading out to try it... we got another inch or so of snow today,
so it should be wonderful... I'll let you know what the results are for
landing on face vs. butt.

--
toddw9 - Gettin better at it by the day
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

toddw9
December 7th 03, 07:34 AM
Well I tried it a few times, it was cold out so it was a relatively
short ride. I'd say it was very close to 50/50 for the landing on face
to butt ratio. I did get it a bunch of times where I got a good slide
in and pulled out of it by pedaling again. You just never know how
slippery it's going to be in a given spot. Sometimes your tire sticks
better than you expect it to, and other times it's a little slipperier
than you expect it to be. Lots of fun if you can get a good one in
though.

--
toddw9 - Gettin better at it by the day
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

joona
December 7th 03, 10:00 AM
toddw9 wrote:
> *Well I tried it a few times, it was cold out so it was a relatively
> short ride. I'd say it was very close to 50/50 for the landing on
> face to butt ratio.*

I only tried it on shiny glare ice. That's why I didn't slip forwards

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

giocologgi
December 7th 03, 02:50 PM
I`ve tried a lot of time it, and now I`m waiting for the snow to do this
trick this year...
I can assure you It`s not hard! And even if you fall you fall on
something soft!!!:D
Ciao

--
giocologgi - TALK LESS RIDE MORE