PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a cycle

GTEye
December 7th 03, 07:02 AM
I hate to ask it, as I've read the other discussions, but I'm looking
for a nice clear cut answer (or as much of one as I can get ;)

I'm looking to get a new uni for Christmas and am looking at the
different options. The criteria are: I'm 6'3", 150 lbs. 24" wheel, and
I would prefer to not have to upgrade any pieces of it for a long while
(comes with a good seat, etc.). I'm looking to do primarily trials on
it. Estimated price: 200-300ish, but can go out of that a bit. Just
looking for a general good beginners unicycle that I dont have to worry
about outgrowing (I uni a bit now, so I know I'm interested and am
willing to invest).

Best bet right now looks to be the torker
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=765). Is that the one
I should go for, or any other suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

--
GTEye
GTEye's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4917

muniracer
December 7th 03, 07:21 AM
good choice.

its good for the money, but it will break eventually. this of course,
depends on how much you ride it and what you do on it. i would say that
if you do break it, you will at that point be obsessed with unicycling
and ready to pump your life's savings into a new unicycle, so i would
say its a win win situation. if you dont really like unicycling that
much, it will last forever, but if you love it, you will be happy to
upgrade.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns XWonka!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

harper
December 7th 03, 07:22 AM
GTEye wrote:
> *I'm looking to do primarily trials on it. Estimated price:
> 200-300ish, but can go out of that a bit. *

First question: USD, UK Pounds, Aussie Bucks, NZD, Euros, Bolivars,
Rand?

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

GTEye
December 7th 03, 07:36 AM
That would be 200-300 USD. Figured since they think they rule the
world, might as well use the most common currency, right? Plus, it's
easier then writing 200000-300000 CDN. Those extra zeros really get
your fingers tired ;)

--
GTEye
GTEye's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4917

harper
December 7th 03, 07:55 AM
Geez, if you're in Ontario, call Darren then, eh? He'll fix you up right
and right away, too. Anyway, he takes play money. He likes loonies and
toonies and colorful bills.

Darren is extremely up-front and helpful when it comes to pricing and
deciding on a unicycle.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

john_childs
December 7th 03, 08:05 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if that Torker will fit the 'Hoggy G'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=733) tire? I'm
guessing that it won't, but it would be worth it to find out. The
Hoggy-G would turn that uni into more of a trials uni. The stock tire
is kind of skinny for jumping around on.

If the Hoggy-G won't fit then what about the 'Maxxis Hookworm'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=655) tire? It's not as
bouncy as the Hoggy-G, but it would be better than the stock tire.

If the Torker DX 24 actually fit the Hoggy-G that would be sweet. What
a combo that would be.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Amos_And_Ego
December 7th 03, 08:56 AM
An important question is whether you plan to muni (mountain unicycle)
or do any trials? Or are you primarily thinking about street riding and
freestyling?

Since the 2004 Torker DX is a new model, nobody here can tell you how
well it will stand up to abuse, since we haven't gotten to test it out
yet. However, it looks pretty sturdy, and perfectly good for
free-style and street riding. It also looks adequate for normal
muni-ing, but most people who muni prefer a wider tire and double walled
alloy rims. If you intend to put this unicycle through some serious
trials abuse, you will probably break it in time, but not before you get
some good use out of it and discover what you really want. For a
general--all around unicycle, this is probably a good buy. Now if you
are buying it primarily for muni-ing, then I would recommend getting
something with a 2.6" or 3" tire. For the same money as that Torker you
can get this:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=745

If you think that you are going to need a muni with a splined hub, then
you are probably going to put it through enough abuse to warrant buying
a Kris Holm or something like that.

--
Amos_And_Ego
Amos_And_Ego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4987

GTEye
December 7th 03, 04:58 PM
Who's this Darren fellow and how would I contact him? Is he a private
seller, or shop owner, or just a philanthropist?

If you want a thick tire for a trials uni, would it be better to get
more of a muni 24" that supports a thicker rubber?

Thanks for the help thus far.

--
GTEye
GTEye's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4917

GTEye
December 7th 03, 07:43 PM
And while I'm at it... safety gear. I've seen the helmet arguements, so
we don't really need to go over crash vs. bike helmet, but what about
leg armor? What's a good brand, or are they all pretty much the same?

--
GTEye
GTEye's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4917

Amos_And_Ego
December 7th 03, 08:07 PM
Darren Bedford makes a great unicycle (from what I hear) and he also
gives good advice.

Bedford Unicycles

Phone:
416-767-4742

website:
http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/

email:

or go to this site:
http://www.torontounicyclists.ca/contact-darren.htm

--Amos

--
Amos_And_Ego
Amos_And_Ego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4987

joona
December 7th 03, 08:45 PM
GTEye wrote:
> *And while I'm at it... safety gear. I've seen the helmet arguements,
> so we don't really need to go over crash vs. bike helmet, but what
> about leg armor? What's a good brand, or are they all pretty much the
> same? *

My order in wearing safety gear:
1. wristguards
2. kneepads
3. helmet
4. elbowpads
5. if I had something for tailbone it would be here

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436