PDA

View Full Version : Re: Amazing new trials frame

Jeff Groves
December 7th 03, 10:23 PM
Hello every one

I just got a new frame. It was built by Mike Pritchett (SEMPER_UNI).
And let me tell you this frame is so incredibly nice. It looks really
cool - the crown kind of looks like the wings on an X-Wing fighter from
star wars. It is also extremely light. I don’t know exactly how much
it weighs, but from what Mike told me it weighs a few ounces less than a
wilder frame. Today I took it on its maiden voyage, and it stood up to
all the abuse I put it through. I found it easier to gap with a lighter
frame and my hopping was quite a bit higher (I almost got to rubber on
an 80cm ledge – something that I’ve never achieved before).

I think this is the best frame I have ever had. I’ll take some photos
of it and post them soon.

Jeff

--
Jeff Groves
Jeff Groves's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1385

unicycleboy
December 7th 03, 10:31 PM
Will be nice to see, ive been looking for a nice frame to add to my
custom trials that ill be making after college.

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

SEMPER_UNI
December 7th 03, 11:30 PM
Jeff,
Very glad to hear that you're enjoying the frame.

Everyone,
These are the frames that i've been blathering about everynow and then
for almost a year now.
the frames are constructed from 6061 and heat treated to T-6.
the seat tube, crown, and bearing holders are machined and the legs are
made of laser cut sheet metal that has been bent into a tapered,
rectangular box section and welded with a single bead down the center of
the inside face.

The 20 inch frame weighs in at one pound, four ounces. this weight is
frame only and doesn't include the steel lower bearing clamps or bearing
clamp bolts. (We weighed them at the heat treat place and didn't have
the steel components with us)

Jeff Groves and Ryan Atkins are beating these frames up for R&D
purposes. After the frames have been 100% Ryan Atkins approved there
will be a production run of a yet to be determined number.

Hopefully a meeting with Mr. Drummond at Unicycle.com later this month
will give me a better idea as to what sort of demand a product like this
will create.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

aust
December 8th 03, 12:13 AM
Hey, they sound awesome. And im lookin forward to purchasing one(when on
unicycle.com). So what colors will they be coming in? and also how low
is the frame to the wheel? i have been having troubles wheelwalking,
gliding and one foot ww on my onza due to the height of the nimbus 2
frame crown.

thanks

Austin

--
aust - Austin

Uber Unicycler
Pro Paintballer
Supreme Snowboarder
Coooool Canadian

aust's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4767

m_extreme_uni
December 8th 03, 12:30 AM
I must also agree with Jeff, it's a very nice frame indeed. on it's
first ride it showed me that eveything is made easier, crisper, bigger,
and more precise.

it's very light, and stiff, and i really like it.

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

super_evill
December 8th 03, 01:53 AM
How much is it? Do you have any pics?

--
super_evill - Level 4

"Whadda ya want me to do, whack a guy, off a guy, whackoff a guy, cuz
I'm married"- Peter Griffin

super_evill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4492

SEMPER_UNI
December 8th 03, 03:24 AM
One of my downhill biker buddies posted a few really good pictures on a
couple of different forums (all mtn bike.) he's pretty excited about
getting new people into the sport, which is great for all of us.
Unfortunately i haven't been able to find these pictures, so when i do i
will link to them.

The crown is very low profile. Ryan and jeff commented that they would
have to get used to the crown but told me they thought it was good.
carl, who rides a KH 24 inch frame, said that your foot sits further
away from tire than it would on a KH frame. so it's somwhere in the
middle.

each side of the crown has two small set screws like you would find in a
good pair of platform pedals. these can be taken out or replaced with
smaller ones if they seem a little too grippy.

Colors: As my uncle hank once said, "you can get any color you want, as
long as it's black." Ryan and Jeff were impatient and whiny (kidding)
so i didn't have the chance to get their frames powdercoated. the three
remaining frames are getting powdercoated tomorrow (monday.) It is
sandpaperish textured black that looks really nice, but it's not
actually rough.
Custom colors will be available upon request (possible cost change) and
i'm toying with the idea of an anodized finish.

As far as price goes... I hope to meet with the people at uni.com at the
end of this month. I'm hoping that they will be able to help me decide a
fair retail price. Ryan told me that if i wanted to sell alot of them I
should ask around 300-350 american.

this seems like a pretty fair price to me. Since i will be going through
distributers like uni.com and hopefully Bedford unis, the wholesale
marigns and things like that will have an effect on retail price.

This is a pretty "elite" type of frame in my mind. it is hand made and
not mass produced. these factors affect the supply side of the
microeconomical part of things. What i need to figure out is the demand.
then curves can be made, intersections can be found, good retail prices
can be dtermined and smiles can be made.

I'd like to have frames available in quantity by mid january. right now
i have a 24" frame without brake mounts and two of the trials frames
that jeff and ryan are riding. If these are still in my possesion after
my interactions with unicycle.com they will be available directly
through me for a good price.

thanks for the interest. tell your freinds.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

m_extreme_uni
December 8th 03, 03:48 AM
here are some'pictures of the frame'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut50)

-Ryan

--
m_extreme_uni

I must only use these powers to annoy!!!
m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

James_Potter
December 8th 03, 03:56 AM
DUDE, my cousins name is Michael Pritchett!! But he's not a
unicyclist....
Sorry, just had to say that.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *KILLBY* hadn't
killed it.-

jagur
December 8th 03, 03:59 AM
nice lookin frame,respectfully though my money's on Ryan pull twisting
the seat tube right out of the crown.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

SEMPER_UNI
December 8th 03, 04:08 AM
Jagur,

Your on! That seat tube has around a five thousanth of an inch
interference fit with the crown. It took a whole lot of nitrogen to get
that baby in there. (this reminds me of a past conversation where i made
it into your sig commenting on aluminum not sharing the characteristics
of a certain oriface...) and it's welded on the top and bottom of the
crown.

the seat tube also has pretty thick walls. 27.2 ID with a 31.8 OD. Ryan
keeps telling me to make them thinner.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

Sofa
December 8th 03, 04:08 AM
screws in the crown

nice!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'You can usually engineer something to be fool proof, but never
damn-fool proof' - cyberbellum
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

nathan
December 8th 03, 05:16 AM
Michael, the frame looks great. You couldn't've picked better testers
than Jeff and Ryan. Here's hoping they hold up.

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

aust
December 8th 03, 05:18 AM
that looks awesome! thats a great idea with the pins on the crown,
except would it not cause some wipeouts due to the over grippyness (if
there is such a thing)? I look forward to buying one ASAP!

--
aust - Austin

Uber Unicycler
Pro Paintballer
Supreme Snowboarder
Coooool Canadian

aust's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4767

Checkernuts
December 8th 03, 05:21 AM
Looks great man,

You've deffenatlly come far with from the original prototype.

Mike Carroll

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

XWonka
December 8th 03, 06:06 AM
Very nice frame. I really like those pins on the crown. Very smart idea.
Looks very solid and heavy... But if you say it's light i have to
believe you.

Looking forward to owning one myself in the distant future.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

merrill
December 8th 03, 10:55 AM
Nice looking frame! I'm on the lookout for light 24" frames.
Acccording to this thread

http://tinyurl.com/y7q7

The Wilder 24" fram weighs 636 grams or 1.402 lb.

Michael, you mention that your 20" frame weighs 1 lb 4 ounces or 1.25
lbs. I'm curious about the weight of your 24". Based on the weight of
your 20" I can't see how your 24" could weigh less than the Wilder (as
Jeff mentions).

If your 24" does in fact weigh in at or near 1.4 lbs, that would be
pretty cool for a steel frame. Could you let me know? I want to buy a
new 24" frame pretty soon, but lightness is key for this old man.

Joe

--
merrill - Confinement Loaf

Smart Bomb + Dumb President = Weapon of Mass Destruction
merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

Tmornstar
December 8th 03, 11:12 AM
Oh, damn-it! This is gonna hurt - the wallet. Frame looks sweeeeet.
Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson
Memphis Unicycle Club
Please vist our web site:
http://www.memphisunicycleclub.com
Tmornstar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/658

joe
December 8th 03, 12:32 PM
One word....

AWESOME!

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

uniryder777
December 8th 03, 03:13 PM
Hey Ryan!!

Did you fix your seat yet after Muni Weekend???

Bwahahahah!!!

TJ

--
uniryder777 - Intermediate Trials Rider

Bloody shins in CT!!!
www.insane.unicyclist.com
uniryder777's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1595

spickydoo
December 9th 03, 03:29 AM
That is a sweet lookin' frame. The pins are a cool idea although I
wouldn't be able to use them just yet(although I am learning).
Can't wait to see one in real life. What is the proposed damage gonna
be? I'll have to start saving now I think.

--
spickydoo - one hot wheel

"They say you can pick your friends, You can pick your nose, But you
can't pick your friend's nose. " Unibrier

"If I wanted to be totally healthy I wouldn't smoke pot, drink alcohol
or stay up too late, and how fun would that be?" Rowan
spickydoo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1055

gerblefranklin
December 9th 03, 03:54 AM
Nice!

Man, I want one. Can anyone give weight comparisons to other popular
frames (Nimbus 2, KH 20, and any others)? I assume we're looking at a
price over $250 American:( ? Would you want to sell any prototypes or
anything? I'm looking to lighten my uni, with the hopes that it will
improve my jump. Seeing those pins also makes me want to prectice stand
up ww. Just curious, has anyone had their chlothes caught by the pins?

Can't wait till January, I hope to be able to scrape up the cash for one
soon.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

SEMPER_UNI
December 9th 03, 04:10 AM
GerbilFranklin,
I currently have the three above mentioned frames (2 20" and 1 24").
And as I said if I still have them and Mr. Atkins hasn't blown his up,
I'd be comfortable selling two of them for a discounted price. The other
one, I'm currently riding and would like to keep for it's sentimental
value.

As far as retail goes, it's still up in the air. I want to keep it
reasonably priced, but they're not cheap to make. I'll have a better
idea after I talk to John Drummond from Uni.com. Chances are they'll be
a bit more than 250 American.

I've yet to have the set screws interfere with any of my riding. they
are set in pretty far on the crown and I doubt anyone will catch their
pants on them.

Thanks again to every for the encouraging responses.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

merrill
December 9th 03, 04:36 AM
How much does the 24" frame weigh? Has it also been stress tested?

Thanks

--
merrill - Confinement Loaf

Smart Bomb + Dumb President = Weapon of Mass Destruction
merrill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/818

scot
December 9th 03, 07:50 AM
Just checked out the pictures and that frame is the coolest thing I've
seen in unicycles lately. Nice job on the crown.

--
scot - unitourist

"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in
order to enjoy ourselves."
- Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889-1951)

I'll bet this poor guy didn't have a unicycle. :cool:
scot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/992

Monkey Juggler
December 9th 03, 09:12 AM
I remember when they were still made from paper. Its nice to see the
real thing.

--
Monkey Juggler - Sal Gionfriddo

Sal Gionfriddo

Trying to beat the Man.
Monkey Juggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1213

jagur
December 9th 03, 11:44 AM
Monkey Juggler wrote:
> *I remember when they were still made from paper. *
ORigami MUni's??

'link' (http://www.paperfolding.com/)

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

SEMPER_UNI
December 9th 03, 03:26 PM
Yes, Origame. It's the new coolest thing. lighter than composits and
unbelieveable ride quality...

Sal is referring to my origianal "model." the frist two frames i made
were constructed of a machined seat tube and bearing clamps. the legs
and crown were constructed of two peices of sheet metal. same shape and
general design (without the mill work on the crown) but a entirely
monocoque design. I had a paper cutout of the laser cutting file all
scotch taped together and was showing the guys who came to flint. It
wasn't very elegant and i don't think anyone really could see what they
were going to look like from it, but at the time it seemed like a good
idea.

I have two 20" frames constructed in this manner from mild steel. they
are very stong (could hardly move the material to align it after
welding) but very heavy. they were early prototypes of what were going
to be sheet aluminum versions, but they would have been too hard to make
in quantity and there was over sixty inches of weld on a twenty inch
frame. all the welds are ground off of the one I ride and it looks
pretty sweet. i'll post pics if i ever get one of those camera
contraptions.

Merril,
Wieght on the trials frame without the steel bearing holders was 1
pound, 4 ounces. the frames that ryan and jeff are riding have steel
bearing holders for street style riding. ryan has requested a pair of
aluminum replacements that i will be making for him this week.
the 24" frames will come standard with aluminum bottom clamps (steel
will be an option for those interested) there isn't much material in the
bearing clamps, and aluminum is light, so add three ounces for that
maybe. other than that the frames are the same except there is three
more inches of leg between the bearing holders and the crown, add maybe
another ounce.
I'm pretty sure the final weight, including my magura mounting idea
(flush mount, so when you'r not using brakes there are no bosses,) will
way an oune or two more than the wilder frames posted weight of 1.44
pounds.

As far as Stress testing goes, My swanky new dell laptop should arrive
in the nest few days on which i plan to run Some FEA Analysis using
Altair Hypermesh (Plug for the company i work at: Altairs analysis
software is the whip.) these results will be reflected in the final
production design. I don't see much changing though, the same seems very
over built even at it's current low wieght. if anything guage analysis
on the seat tube and leg material will lead to a lighter stiffer
frame.
Current "stress" testing for the trials frames are being done by Ryan
and Jeff, who seem pleased thus far, though it's been only a few days of
riding. When I get back to school, Kettering University (check the
website, apply there, I need somone to ride with) I'm going to throw one
on a tensile and compression testing machine and see what it takes to
blow one up.

That's all for now. thanks again to everyone, without constantly reading
this forum I could never have gotten this far.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

johnfoss
December 9th 03, 08:13 PM
I especially liked the pins on the crown, a great innovation! Because
they are screws, riders should be able to adjust them for less grip if
they get too hung up.

Like Nathan said, if it holds up under Ryan Atkins, it should work for
anybody!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

harper
December 9th 03, 09:23 PM
The frame looks nice and the folded sheet for light weight and strength
is an interesting concept which you have proven is workable. How do you
do the tight folds? Over a mandrel?

I would recommend staying with a steel bottom clamp for the bearing
holders. They don't add much weight. The advantage of having a split
holder here is that the bottom can be armored. I've seen how quickly the
bearing holders get banged up doing crank grabs that miss slightly. The
aluminum would get gouged too quickly. The aluminum bearing holders on
my SH MUni sport some nice, deep scars. The KH trials uni that I have
just shows scratches.

You do the heat treating to T6 after all the welds, I presume? Do you
accurately know the weight difference between one of the CrMo trials
frames and yours with the required bearing hardware attached?

Anodized finishes are fantastic. And, by the way, if you want that frame
tested, don't let Jeff or Ryan use it....they're too graceful. You need
a klutz like me banging it up. I land like a buffalo.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

SEMPER_UNI
December 9th 03, 11:18 PM
Mr. Harper,

Indeed the frames were solution treated and artificially aged to a
hearty T-6 post weld. It took me over a week to find someone in the
motorcity willing to do such a small job. I was suprised at how few
companies deal with treating aluminum.

As far as the leg construction goes, It's my little secret. But since
I'm so impressed that you recognized the difficulty of the task I
suppose I can let it out. When I get the materials from the lasercutter
the two bends on the outside of the legs are complete, the bends on the
inside of the leg are at about thirty degrees. The legs in this state
were then taken to numerous sheet metal shops where I was laughed at,
aked to leave and even kicked. I was told repeatedly, "sorry, there's
nothing we can do for you." who'd of thought that making a boxed section
with a single seam could have been so hard? Certainly not me.

So I went home and cried for a little while and then made two fixtures
that hold the leg with it's outer face down. I then tap in a carefully
machined "anvil" that fills the inside of the leg. Aluminum plates with
a cammed lever rotate on hinges to bend the aluminum just past 90
degrees. when I let go, they magically spring back to form a perfect
right angle. At this point I usually dance around a bit, chug a beer and
scoot over to welding table*.

I'm with you on the steel bearing holders. I like the idea but realize
the some people don't use their frames as roughly as others. The
aluminum ones will be an option for those who care more about a few
ounces than a few dollars to replace a marred peice of aluminum. Maybe
i'll even make them in titanium...

I remember your enthusiasm toward anodizing from a while back. I am
Friends with Roger Rodrigues, owner of BRISA (they make trials bikes.)
He has recently been using a frame finish that i think he calls a "glow
anodize." The frame is shot peened with a course media, leaving a gritty
texture all over it. Each frame is then Dipped in something (looks like
chrome plating but it isn't) after the mystery plating is done the
frames receive a translucent anodized finish. These frames look
absolutley beautiful! you can see a dark shiny reflection through the
anodizing and the texture of the frame reflects the light very well.

If these sell well I will definately be looking into that proccess. all
i really know about it is that it looks incredible and it isn't cheap.

Well my fingers hurt, so it's time to go.
If Blue shift ever needs a new frame feel free to contact me. just think
of it, your hub, my frame traveling the world, seeing things i've only
ever read about, or at least skimmed through looking for something else
to read about.

*Mike Pritchett does condone nor does he actually participate in
drinking and welding.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

unibrow
December 10th 03, 03:30 AM
i like trials frames:D

--
unibrow - ROYAL RIDERS RULE )--(x)

phfff who unicycles...
unibrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2496

gerblefranklin
December 10th 03, 04:02 AM
Hey Mike, I'd be honored to buy one of those frames, assuming Ryan and
John don't destroy them. PM me if they get returned, and we could
negotiate a price.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

aust
December 11th 03, 02:28 AM
more pics!!!

--
aust - Austin

Uber Unicycler
Pro Paintballer
Supreme Snowboarder
Coooool Canadian

aust's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4767

Jeff Groves
December 11th 03, 08:58 PM
I was just wondering what you wanted more pictures of Aust?

I think that the photos Ryan put up cover just about all aspects of the
frame.

Jeff

--
Jeff Groves
Jeff Groves's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1385

Stigma
June 9th 04, 02:35 AM
hey,
that frame is sweet! my friend and i are thinking about getting one late
august or sooner. he just likes the silver but i think im gonna go with
the black powder coat...sexyness. both goin for the steel bottom bearing
cases. i'll e-mail with more details.

Ðevon

--
Stigma
Stigma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5089

Stigma
June 9th 04, 02:35 AM
hey,
that frame is sweet! my friend and i are thinking about getting one late
august or sooner. he just likes the silver but i think im gonna go with
the black powder coat...sexyness. both goin for the steel bottom bearing
cases. i'll e-mail with more details.

Ðevon

--
Stigma
Stigma's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5089

vivalargo
June 9th 04, 03:42 AM
Cool . . .

Since I ride a lot of steep dirt single tracks and long descents down
fire roads, I'd sure like to have the option of Magura brakes on the
24"er.

A quick look at rock climbing gear (especially caribiners) might give
you some ideas per coloring aluminum. Painting alum. is actually pretty
"cave" compared to what you can do these days, but I suspect the fancy
colors on climgbing gear are possible because of the high numbers. But
a red or orange or even blue anodized finish would be smokin', and the
color wouldn't chip off. Couple rides with the boys up at Santa Barbera
(exceedingly rocky trails) and my KH24 looks like it's been fed through
a wood chipper.

JL

--
vivalargo
vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625

[...]

PopeSamXVI
June 9th 04, 05:56 AM
Just in reference to the color thing 2 pages ago, "Any color you want,
as long as it's black" was the Ford Model-T slogan.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

PopeSamXVI
June 9th 04, 05:56 AM
Just in reference to the color thing 2 pages ago, "Any color you want,
as long as it's black" was the Ford Model-T slogan.

--
PopeSamXVI - Resident Hogwasher/Hornswaggler

Karol Jozef Wojtyla Forever!

I really am the president of my own fan club. www.samhunterfanclub.tk
PopeSamXVI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6661

teachndad
June 9th 04, 07:31 AM
> I suspect the fancy colors on climgbing gear are possible because of
> the high numbers. But a red or orange or even blue anodized finish
> would be smokin', and the color wouldn't chip off

I agree about the coloring. But, I THINK there might be a technical
problem with the anodizing. The frames are hollow and I think the frame
has to be completely sealed for the anodizing to work. If there is even
a tiny hole, it might present a problem. For solid aluminum, it works
well as with climbing safety gear.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The Steve howard MUni frames are
anodized, but not hollow, as far as I know.

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

teachndad
June 9th 04, 07:31 AM
> I suspect the fancy colors on climgbing gear are possible because of
> the high numbers. But a red or orange or even blue anodized finish
> would be smokin', and the color wouldn't chip off

I agree about the coloring. But, I THINK there might be a technical
problem with the anodizing. The frames are hollow and I think the frame
has to be completely sealed for the anodizing to work. If there is even
a tiny hole, it might present a problem. For solid aluminum, it works
well as with climbing safety gear.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. The Steve howard MUni frames are
anodized, but not hollow, as far as I know.

--
teachndad - The Munieer

Rod Wylie

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

karl
June 9th 04, 08:47 PM
That is one sweet frame....good job semper_uni. Does anyone know how
long it would take to make one of those frames?

Karl

--
karl - MUni Rider
karl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5058

karl
June 9th 04, 08:47 PM
That is one sweet frame....good job semper_uni. Does anyone know how
long it would take to make one of those frames?

Karl

--
karl - MUni Rider
karl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5058

one wheeled stallion
June 9th 04, 09:26 PM
Great looking frame! Will they be available in th UK?
> I was laughed at, aked to leave and even kicked.

You were actually kicked???

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

one wheeled stallion
June 9th 04, 09:26 PM
Great looking frame! Will they be available in th UK?
> I was laughed at, aked to leave and even kicked.

You were actually kicked???

--
one wheeled stallion - Guerilla Unicyclist

OWS

"...there's nothing I can't manage if I grunt loudly enough" -Mikefule
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

elmer
June 10th 04, 08:52 AM
Hey, Semper_Uni! I'm someone who would buy a frame from you if one is
available. I put my money where my mouth is. No empty promises, so if
one comes available just let me know!

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

elmer
June 10th 04, 08:52 AM
Hey, Semper_Uni! I'm someone who would buy a frame from you if one is
available. I put my money where my mouth is. No empty promises, so if
one comes available just let me know!

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

teachndad
February 27th 05, 07:04 AM
Anyone Got any updates on this puppy or the MUni version?

I asked Jeff Groves about it at CMW 2004 and he just said that Ryan had
broken the first frame, and was re-supplied with another one that was
improved. That was it and also almost 6 months ago.

--
teachndad - aka The Munieer

Rod Wylie

'MountainUnicyclingLA.com' (http://www.mountainunicycling.us)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images' (http://tinyurl.com/4otql)
'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Descriptions'
(http://tinyurl.com/6h8zn)

teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

TheObieOne3226
February 27th 05, 07:18 AM

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
Mental

jagur
February 27th 05, 06:43 PM

SEMPER_UNI wrote:
> *Jagur,
>
> Your on! *
*i wonder if thats how they broke? i'd like to know so i
can possibly collect. *

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

TheObieOne3226
February 27th 05, 06:46 PM
jagur wrote:
> *i wonder if thats how they broke? i'd like to know
> so i can possibly collect. *

I think that's how Ryan said they went.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

"Obie is definately a trend setter, I got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him" - KJ-52

"try not to annoy the great Obie, for he is better than us." - Murde
Mental

Evan Byrne
February 27th 05, 09:06 PM
Thats soo cool, il buy one if they arnt more than $500.

--
Evan Byrne

Why Ride 2 wheels when you can ride one?
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

TrialsUni
July 9th 05, 03:45 AM
What's the verdict of this frame? Were the problems fixed? Did Ryan
really go through two (or possibly more) of them?

I'm curious, because I would eventually like a lighter frame. And if
these frames didn't make the cut for going big, do the KH '05s? I
recall pictures of Ryan riding the new KH alum. frame. How did that
frame measure up?

--
TrialsUni - Urban Trials Rider
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

jagur
July 9th 05, 09:28 AM
the verdict is that somone owe's me.. they all "pull twisted" right
outta the crown like my forcast.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

TrialsUni
July 9th 05, 02:26 PM
That's crazy!

Have you heard of any problems with the new KH alum. frames yet? I do
recall you were suspecting the same kind of thing to happen with the
crown welds.

--
TrialsUni - Urban Trials Rider
TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986

jagur
July 9th 05, 06:53 PM
TrialsUni wrote:
> *
> Have you heard of any problems with the new KH alum. frames yet? *
ya know, i have not...

i havent heard one thing about 2005 KH frames cracking yet. the seat
posts seem to a limited life though. Time will tell about the frames, it
hasnt really been that long since they came out. I may have to get a 24"
one and torture it myself

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Evan Byrne
July 10th 05, 08:36 AM
will someone explain to me how the **** you pull a neck out of the
crown?!?!??!i mean my yuni bends into the tire every other day but i
mean pulling hte neck out?!?!!?!?! bah, i need pics to belive.

--
Evan Byrne - Hunch-Back Spencer!

-------------------------------------
Aim: Byrnetown,Uni Guy
Msn:
Skype: Unicycleman
_____________________
"And now a lesson from spencers school of masking!"-Spencer

"Hey Evan, i need the Bloop Bloop thing"-Spencer

"Is it bad if i bite the tape??"-Spencer

"i have to get the angle the same, this sucks!"-Spencer

*Grunt! Grunt!* - Spencer

"I just poked myself with a sharp thing!"-Spencer

"Oh no Oh no Oh no OH NO!" -Spencer

"Its so funny youl die! well not really, just a little bit"-Spencer

"I like razor blades, they are very fun!"-spencer

"now i have to watch what i say now or youl put it in your
sig"-Spencer

"you POOPHEAD Evan."- James_Potter
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

SEMPER_UNI
August 4th 05, 06:34 PM
jagur wrote:
> *the verdict is that somone owe's me.. they all "pull twisted" right
> outta the crown like my forcast. *

The verdict is: Where did you get that information. I'm staring at Ryans
original frame right now and there is zero sign of fatigue (or any other
form of failure) eat the seat tube/crown interface.

Ryan has ridden and destroyed two frames. Both in same manner to my
understanding. I never saw the second frame. The first frame was fairly
dented on the outer legs, which is a pretty obvious place for damage.
The crown slowly bent and caused one of the legs to begin buckling.
Ryan rode both of these frames at this point for some time.

Both frames lasted longer than Ryan's profile crank arms and seat posts.
The kid is a monster and breaks everything. Equipment durability is the
only thing limiting his riding. For an average rider my frames would
have been completely sufficiant.

And again, for the record, to my knowledge there have been no issues
with the press fit AND welded (TOP AND BOTTOM) seat tube being ripped
from the crown.

thanks,

Mike

--
SEMPER_UNI - Alethes Cycling, since 2004

Michael S. Pritchett
Alethes Cycling

SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

Evan Byrne