PDA

View Full Version : New Unicycler

Death
December 8th 03, 04:09 AM
I'm looking for a unicycle. I hadn't unicycled in years, and I suddenly
got on one and knew how to ride intuitvely. I am 16 years old, 5'10",
and 150 pounds, and I think I want a 20 inch freestyle unicycle. Which
ones are the best? What kind of seat should I get? My price range is
anywhere between 100-200. The help would be very appreciated. Thank
you.

--
Death
Death's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5006

James_Potter
December 8th 03, 05:07 AM
If you're new, you should find out what kind of unicycling you'll be
doing in the long run before buying an expensive one.
Decide if you're going to do trials, MUni, or freestyle most. Then buy a
unicycle based on your decision.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-This post *would* be in the most replies thread, if *KILLBY* hadn't
killed it.-

Sofa
December 8th 03, 06:07 AM
I agree.

And welcome to the Forums. You'll love it here

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'You can usually engineer something to be fool proof, but never
damn-fool proof' - cyberbellum
Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

XWonka
December 8th 03, 06:17 AM
Sofa wrote:
> *And welcome to the Forums. You'll love it here *

He's lying of course... but you will, in time, learn to tolerate it
here.;)

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

joona
December 8th 03, 09:34 AM
James_Potter wrote:
> *If you're new, you should find out what kind of unicycling you'll be
> doing in the long run before buying an expensive one.
> Decide if you're going to do trials, MUni, or freestyle most. Then buy
> a unicycle based on your decision. *

Don't try to convert people to trials right away, Harr... James.:)

Where do you live? Goto 'Unicycle.com' (http://www.unicycle.com) and
choose the best alternative on the list of four countries, then go under
the freestyle uni section. If you live in Canada Darren Bedford can help
you out. In Germany 'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com) is a nice
place, but they mainly have trials and MUni stuff.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

tugboat
December 8th 03, 12:40 PM
I think you should get into street riding! awesome new style.
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albus80 click there to find out what
its all about! if youre gonna do street... get some sort of trials
unicycle. like joona said. if in canada, darren bedford can help you out
but if anywhere else, probably unicycle.com is the best.

see ya, Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

joona
December 8th 03, 01:00 PM
Well, if it comes to converting him away from freeestyle I'll have to
recommend MUni. Get a 24" or bigger wheel with a beefy 3" wide tire. I
just love riding in forest along narrow trails. It's a bit more of
control over the uni and fast turns than high jumps like in trials.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

Mad as a moose (or atleast Minimoose)
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

XWonka
December 8th 03, 03:47 PM
Or if you're full of yourself you could get a giraffe so you can look
down on everyone.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

tugboat
December 8th 03, 04:20 PM
> Or if you're full of yourself you could get a giraffe so you can look
> down on everyone.
that was an awful joke. you should be ashamed of yourself. please
appologize.

Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Mikefule
December 8th 03, 06:25 PM
You can't go wrong with a Nimbus, also known as a Yuni. The later
models have a flat fork crown which looks good and makes some skills
easier. My Nimbus 2 has been used for performances, for general riding,
and has been lent out a few times as a 'taster' for people who wnat to
try the sport.

Later, you might want a fatter tyre, different cranks, different pedals,
a better seat, etc. etc. I'm a big believer in buying a good but basic
model, learning what suits you, adapting it, then choosing a really
suitable one later.

20 inch wheel is good for small spaces, tricks and stuff; 24 is better
for longer distances.

I did 20 miles in a day on my 20, once, so it's not just a toy. :0)

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

A young girl was blown out to sea on a set of inflatable teeth then
rescued by a man on an inflatable lobster. A coastguard spokesman
commented, "This sort of thing is all too common". (The Times)

Death
December 9th 03, 10:13 PM
> I think you should get into street riding! awesome

Holy ****! I watched those videos and that was exactly the kind of
thing I wanted to do. I love doing crazy stunts and tricks like that.
What kind of trials unicycle would people recommend? Most of the trials
unis seem to be real expensive. I don't want to end up paying alot of
cash for a bad uni. What do people suggest as far as a good unicycle
for that kind of thing or a good trials unicycle in general?

--
Death
Death's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5006

tugboat
December 9th 03, 10:18 PM
hello. i ride a summit but they just went out of stock. i gues some are
up on ebay. you could bid on one of those. if not, then i hear the onzas
are really good. and you cuold try ordering a bedford trials unicycle.
my friend just got one and he loves it. so those would be my 3
preferences. faily expensive, but you need to pay for the strength. good
luck, Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

Death
December 10th 03, 02:38 AM
What do you all think of this uni?

'Yuni 20-inch Trials Cycle with Suzue hub and Kris Holm Saddle'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=585)

It's more expensive than what I was originally anticipating, but it
looks like it fulfills all of my specifications. It looks like a real
nice uni, what are everyone's thoughts?

--
Death - Emperor Entheogen

Nervethreads decoding the stream of the reality-inverting revolution
The patterned untruth of non-dream: The closed eye visual delusion
Death's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5006

tugboat
December 10th 03, 02:40 AM
definitely a good unicycle. and if you need to upgrade the hub and
cranks later, it shouldnt be too hard.

Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

XWonka
December 10th 03, 03:03 AM
Actually.... If i were you i would spend the little extra more money and
get an Onza. If i'm right, that pic there is not a current one. i think
the new one comes with a KH style saddle. PLus it has a splined hub. And
if you break a splined hub, i'm sure there are some people here who
would give you money.

Another option would be to buy a
'KH trials wheelset'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=664) and build up from
there. Probably a Yuni Frame, And KH saddle, shoudn't bee too much more
then the Regular Yuni that you linked. Plus this way you get a wayyyy
better hub.

Either way, i suggest you just spend the extra money and get a unicycle
that will last awhile.

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

gerblefranklin
December 10th 03, 03:12 AM
Death wrote:
> *What do you all think of this uni?
>
> 'Yuni 20-inch Trials Cycle with Suzue hub and Kris Holm Saddle'
> (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=585)
>
> It's more expensive than what I was originally anticipating, but it
> looks like it fulfills all of my specifications. It looks like a real
> nice uni, what are everyone's thoughts? *

Get the Nimbus 2 version, it's basically the same thing, under a
different name, with a knockoff of the KH seat.
'Nimbus 2 trials uni'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=744) Then, if it
breaks, you still have $140 to blow on a stronger hub/crankset like the
KH. I myself would get an Onza (As a matter of fact, I did, and I'm
quite happy), but those are really expensive. Too bad the summits are
gone. BTW, Death, check your personal messages. They're under user CP in
the forums just in case you can't find it.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

uniextreme
December 11th 03, 02:09 AM
Hey. I have that yuni that you were looking at and its great uni, its
strong and reliable . But that onza looks like its a good uni for the
price.

--
uniextreme - Funkadelic Unicyclist
uniextreme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4708

funkyshek
February 28th 04, 10:48 PM
hello. i am 16 and new to the world of unicycles. i want to purchase one
and i need some suggestions from experienced people. i am about 140-150
pounds and about 5 7. i am looking for something that is not too flashy
or expensive. i want it to be not too easy or hard. just a basic model.
any help?

--
funkyshek
funkyshek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5678

tortoise
February 28th 04, 11:28 PM
Unicycles are nice in that there's not much to them, so a little over
$100 buys you plenty (I've never ridden a sub $100 unicycle). The
Schwinn 20" or 24" are good choices (I learned on a 20" Schwinn myself),
as is the Semcycle XL. All quite affordable. There's surely others.

This is probably a pretty common question too, might try searching the
forums.

--
tortoise
tortoise's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/929

gpickett00
February 29th 04, 12:05 AM
i bought a 24" SUN unicycle off of ebay for $70 total. ill tell you how
it is when i get it

--
gpickett00
gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

duaner
February 29th 04, 12:56 AM
In the $100 price range the Torker LX '20\"'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=634) or '24\"'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Shopping/shopexd.asp?id=675) are great
value/price unicycles. These uni's can be found on eBay too; but by the
time you pay the typically excessive eBay seller's shipping, the price
is comparable to unicycle.com's price; and with unicycle.com you will
actually get service in case something is wrong with the uni.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

tom_edmonds
February 29th 04, 02:18 AM
my first uni was a DM ringmaster, its a real nice ride and i swear that
thing is indestructable, well untill i strted to venture into trials....

--
tom_edmonds - level 9........i can do 1 technique

"Trials - limited only by the wallet"
tom_edmonds's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3992

Rayden
February 29th 04, 05:05 AM
I vote for the 20" Torker LX. $96. Great beginner unicycle. A lot of
people will say so too.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

john_childs
February 29th 04, 05:38 AM
The Torker LX.
Torker's $100 unicycles are far and away better than any of the other
sub $100 unicycles. The Torker LX is a very good beginner to
intermediate level freestyle unicycle.

I don't know about seatpost length for someone 5ft 7in. Someone else
may know. Just don't get a seatpost that is going to be too short. You
can always cut a seatpost that is too long and make it shorter. You
can't do the reverse for one that is too short.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

duaner
February 29th 04, 07:47 AM
john_childs wrote:
> *The Torker LX. ... I don't know about seatpost length for someone
> 5ft 7in. ...*

The seatpost will be long enough; might be a bit too long. If too long
it can be easily cut shorter with a hacksaw or a pipecutter (and the
edges of the cut may need to be smothed with a file or grinder). Just
don't cut it too short.

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

fontiminal
February 29th 04, 11:47 AM
Buy one that has plastic pedals and the most comfortable seat you can
find, and go for a 24" wheel.

Non plastic pedals and you'll reap the rewards of it cutting your leg
should your foot slip.

Uncomfortable seat you'll be wishing that it wasn't such a pain in the
a***e and once you can ride it you'll still have a uni that's useful to
you.

Don't forget to wear a helmet, it'll make you braver and you'll learn
quicker!

Good luck and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice and keep
trying different things you'll be riding in no time.

JJ

--
fontiminal
fontiminal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5049

newtouni
February 29th 04, 01:22 PM
If you goto: http://torkerusa.com/bikes-unicycle.htm

You will see the Torker Unis.

I bought a brand new in the box 24" CX
for $50+$20 shipping=$70 off eBay.

I'm a little over 6" tall. I really like it as a learner (I'm still a
rookie). It fits me fine. The seat is a little uncomfortable, but
since I can only ride about 2 mins at a time it is okay.

If I knew I what I knew know, I would have gotten the 24" DX, but it
really doesn't matter. The hobby is pretty cheap to enter into.

Safety tip: WEAR SHIN GAURDS!

Newtouni

--
newtouni

Everything is a progression...
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465

tortoise
February 29th 04, 04:48 PM
fontiminal wrote:
> *Buy one that has plastic pedals and the most comfortable seat you can
> find, and go for a 24" wheel.
> *

Is it even possible for "comfortable" and "affordable" to go together in
unicycle seats? I've just accepted the fact that unicycle seats are
painful. What constitutes a comfortable and affordable unicycle seat?

--
tortoise
tortoise's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/929

fontiminal
February 29th 04, 05:37 PM
I believe that you're justified in getting a good seat, you'll get more
enjoyment and learn quicker, sitting down is essential to making it easy
at the start to ride.

KH seat here in UK is what 34 quid? For a hobby that you enjoy it's
money well spent.

JJ

--
fontiminal - Level 2 rider
fontiminal's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5049

carjug
February 29th 04, 08:04 PM
Ditto on the comfortable seat. I like my old Schwinn, I loan it out to
new riders and it doesn't get broken. Get a 9mm socket wrench while you
are in a money spending mood, it is important to keep your cranks tight.

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228

Google