PDA

View Full Version : Weird way to kick-up mount?

onewheelwizzard
December 8th 03, 08:48 PM
OK, I've been trawling through the forum looking for stuff on kick-up
mounting, which I heard about but never heard what the technique was,
and it turns out I've been doing it weirdly. The normal technique is to
start with the uni on its side, sideways in front of you, put one foot
underneath the seat, the other foot on the crank/pedal facing up, and
bring the seat into position with your foot and put the foot on the
other pedal. Sounds hard to me ...
Anyway, what I tried when I heard about kick-up mounting is I brought
the uni to a seat-dragging-in-front position, put one foot on the bottom
pedal (the trials tire I was using, because I don't have another uni,
kept rubbing the side of my knee, so if I were youse I'd try it with a
Hookworm or somthing of that nature), leaned the tire against my leg,
brought my foot around to about the seat post clamp, hooked my foot
around the seat post and brought the seat up to my hand, put my left
foot on the pedal in the same motion, rode back a quarter revolution,
and rode away with the seat out in front.
Is there a name for this mount? Is it an "official" mount?

--
onewheelwizzard - Rincewind, Wizzard Inept

What, my name? Well, usually people call me "Get him!" Of course, when
they want to be formal they'll say "Don't let him get away!"
onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

gerblefranklin
December 9th 03, 03:33 AM
It's not legally a kick up, but it is an "official" mount. I've seen a
video of Ryan Atkins doing that exact mount in his movie, which can be
downloaded from one of his galleries. You can also do the standard
kickup from a running start, which I find to be easier, partially cuz I
suck at it.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

Mojoe
December 9th 03, 05:49 AM
Max was showing me that mount in Minneapolis last December. it was
pretty cool to watch.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

TheObieOne3226
December 9th 03, 05:49 AM
yeah joe the thing ive seen you do is definately not the official kickup
mount. as you probably know thats the one where you lay the uni on the
ground sideways and kick it up. youre sort of just kicking the seatpost
up into your hand. nonetheless it is a trick. so have you gotten better
at it than the last time i saw you(probably yesterday)? also, your KH
seat is holding fine with 3 bolts despite my massive girth. ive taken
drops and landed stupidly but its fine. see you tues at 8. tell your mom
no dinner lol.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

Borges
December 9th 03, 08:32 AM
I think what onewheelwizzard describes is a swing up mount.
Take a look at the description in the IUF
rulebook.http://tinyurl.com/ydst

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

The New Old Skool
December 9th 03, 08:26 PM
The skill described in the original post is not in the standard skills
list. Although, it could be acurately named "pick up seat in front free
foot" because this is the name given to the same trick in the standard
skill list 159.c.
http://tinyurl.com/ydst
The only difference is that 159.c is used as a transition to pick up
seat drag in front.

Damn, what a bunch of babble. Sorry, you've made it this far.
If you want clarification on the swing up mount read on.

The described skill in the original post is not a swing up mount. A
swing up mount begins with the wheel upright, one foot on its
corresponding pedal, and the _front_ of the seat in the air. i.e. the
unicycle is stationary, in a drag seat in back position. The rider
"swings"/kicks the frame up with their free foot, then (without using
hands, ideally) brings their free leg up and over the seat in mid-swing.
The rider ends on the seat, with both feet on their corresponding
pedals.

The key word in the Standard Skill description is _beside_ the unicycle,
as opposed to having the seat in front and standing _behind_ the
unicycle.

whew
peace/h.holidays

--
The New Old Skool - So fresh and So clean
The New Old Skool's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4746

johnfoss
December 9th 03, 10:20 PM
The swing up mount is also different in that you stand perpindicular to
the unicycle when starting. This is not very well described in the
rulebook. The trick originated with Luc Tremblay of the Montreal Circus
School/Cirque du Soleil, and I'm pretty sure the swing up mount is a
description of his trick.

If you will swing the seat up with your right foot, you stand with the
unicycle in seat drag behind position, with the seat extending out to
your right. When you swing up the seat, you turn your body 90 degrees to
the left and ride away.

From what's available in the Standard Skills List, the closest thing is
the pick up mount (#209). Your variation skips the initial jump, but
uses the foot to pick up the seat.

I wouldn't want to try that one totally freehanded :eek:

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Borges
December 10th 03, 07:48 AM
So the swing up mount is just like a kick up mount except you kick the
frame/seatpost instead of the seat?

Wasn't someone talking about setting up a skills gallery or something
like that?
Does it exist? Where?

mvh
Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

johnfoss
December 10th 03, 05:43 PM
Borges wrote:
> *So the swing up mount is just like a kick up mount except you kick
> the frame/seatpost instead of the seat?*
No. In the swing up, the unicycle wheel starts in an upright position,
and you have to turn 90 degrees while meeting up with the seat to ride
away. For a kick up, the unicycle is lying on its side.

Yes, video clips would sure be helpful!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

onewheelwizzard
December 10th 03, 08:03 PM
Sorry guys, I don't have a video. I've got no camera. I did think I
saw a video of someone doing it once, but I never found out where it
came from. I'll ask Nick (shadowuni), because I think it was on his
computer. If I can find it and link you to it, I will.

--
onewheelwizzard - Rincewind, Wizzard Inept

What, my name? Well, usually people call me "Get him!" Of course, when
they want to be formal they'll say "Don't let him get away!"
onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

Borges
December 10th 03, 09:00 PM
I'm still not sure how a swing up mount is done, so i'll break it into
tiny bits, so even I can understand it.

Swing up mount (swinging seat up with right foot):
1) The unicycle is in front of you, seat to the right, left pedal down,
wheel upright?

2) Place left foot on left pedal and right foot under the frame?

3a) Transfer your weight to your left foot leaning left leg against the
wheel to keep it upright while swinging the frame upright with right
foot?

or

3b) Swing up the frame by jumping with your right leg while you keep the
wheel upright by not transfering your weight to the left pedal?

4) Swing your right leg around the front of the saddle, place right foot
on rigth pedal, get seated, go!?

??????

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout

"Getting caught wearing this helmet may result in death by hanging"
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

daino149
December 11th 03, 12:39 AM
Ok, I've read the thread (well most of it) and I still don't understand
how these other mounts work. I can do a regular kickup so now I want to
try some of these other mounts. Does anyone have some vids of the
mounts being preformed?

Daniel

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

XWonka: Stick that in your Sig and smoke it.

TheObieOne3226
December 11th 03, 10:06 AM
the mount joe does isnt really like any of the ones youve described.
basically he puts his right foot on the right pedal while the seat rests
on the ground in front of him. then he uses his left foot to pull the
seat up to his hand by kicking the post. next he rides away with the
seat out or whatever.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

unicycleboy
December 11th 03, 10:17 AM
confused. is it this mount?

http://tinyurl.com/yqhc

or is this another mount?

Trev

--
unicycleboy - Freestyle Expert
unicycleboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/399

TheObieOne3226
December 11th 03, 10:21 AM
thats basically the mount. except joe starts with his right foot on the
pedal and uses his left to kick the post up. also, he doesnt do the
little wrap-around part.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

U-Turn
December 11th 03, 03:15 PM
TheObieOne3226 wrote:
> *thats basically the mount. except joe starts with his right foot on
> the pedal and uses his left to kick the post up. also, he doesnt do
> the little wrap-around part. *
This is the one I do; then ride away SIF. Jamie does one in OWNL, then
rides away backwards SIF.

Why not call this a "toe-up mount"?

There are also some amazing variations on OWNL.

--
U-Turn - Wholly Roller

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

onewheelwizzard
December 11th 03, 03:32 PM
I was actually thinking about doing exactly the variation in that video
next! Nice work with that.

I like that name, "toe-up" mount. I'm all for using it. Note to self:
watch OWNL all the way through next time ...

--
onewheelwizzard - Rincewind, Wizzard Inept

What, my name? Well, usually people call me "Get him!" Of course, when
they want to be formal they'll say "Don't let him get away!"
onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

johnfoss
December 11th 03, 07:32 PM
Borges wrote:
> *1) The unicycle is in front of you, seat to the right, left pedal
> down, wheel upright?
>
> 2) Place left foot on left pedal and right foot under the frame?
>
> 3a) Transfer your weight to your left foot leaning left leg against
> the wheel to keep it upright while swinging the frame upright with
> right foot?
> *
That's it! It's definitely more of a swing motion than a kick motion.
The seat has to move slow enough for you to coordinate rotating around
and onto it as it comes up. As I remember, a big part of the learning
curve for me was getting the right amount of swing speed and power. Too
slow/easy and it falls back. Too fast/hard and it whacks into the bruise
on the side of your left knee, which is already there from doing it
before. Also you will have a bruise on the top of your right foot, or
better shoes than what I used.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

johnfoss
December 11th 03, 07:36 PM
unicycleboy wrote:
> *confused. is it this mount?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/yqhc*
That is a variation on the pick up mount (http://tinyurl.com/1yem). But
the foot-lifting versions have a different start. The pick up mount
starts with the pedals level and a jump onto them. So a different name
is needed for the basic mount, then add "leg around" to that.

Maybe something like "pick up with foot, leg around." But there is not
yet an official name for those tricks. We need to establish a way to
name things that aren't on the Standard Skills List. That list is not
intended to include everything, but it's the only really officially
recognized listing of its kind.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home