PDA

View Full Version : Hsg

thinuniking
December 9th 03, 08:24 PM
High Speed Gliding looks like major fun but what type of stuff is best
to use:
what is the most popular wheel size for HSG?
what type of uni do you use freestyle/muni/ect?
what tyre is best a slick I would think?

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

johnfoss
December 9th 03, 10:12 PM
thinuniking wrote:
> *what is the most popular wheel size for HSG?*
HSG is not popular. Otherwise, 24" was the size of choice by Brett
Bymaster and other enthusiasts I'm aware of.
> what type of uni do you use freestyle/muni/ect?
It shouldn't matter, other than easy ability to put your foot on the
fork crown and keep it there.
> what tyre is best a slick I would think?
I don't think a slick would be best. Your tire will pick up dirt and
things from the riding surface, and you need some tread to give your
shoe a better grip with all that stuff in between. I think a light,
non-aggressive tread would be best.

You forgot to ask about the safety gear.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

thinuniking
December 10th 03, 04:33 PM
i was going to but i just figured it would be the same as normal 661's
and a helmet any thing else?

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

joe
December 10th 03, 06:10 PM
I love HSG!

I find the best uni to do it on it a 20". I find it easier to control,
and more responsive!

As for tyres, I use a Luna tyre on my trials, and a Primo on my
Freestyle. The both work well, although the tred on the trials is worn
out (from gliding)

As for protection, i just wear my usualy stuff (helmet, leg pads,
gloves, wrist support)

I tried HSG on my Muni (26") it was really fun, but hard. I went really
fast, and my shoe actually started to burn (you could smell the
rubber)

Try to lift your foot off when you glide (so you are coasting) as this
makes you go faster (less resistance) and does not wear out the tyre and
your shoe asfast!

Video:
'On board video' (http://tinyurl.com/ymns)

'HSG' (http://tinyurl.com/ymnt)

'Another HSG' (http://tinyurl.com/ymnu)

Hope you like them....

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

thinuniking
December 10th 03, 06:17 PM
nice if there is one thing i will learn by the end of next year gliding
will be it!

--
thinuniking - mad as a clown

Clown is such a dirty word.
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

hell-on-wheel
December 10th 03, 06:59 PM
That is so frickin' cool!!! I'm learning to one foot WW right now as a
transition to gliding, I can't wait til I can do it!

Do the pedals/cranks still cause the wheel to want to oscillate or
wobble? Have you tried gliding without them?

I thought this would make a good gliding tire:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=733
but maybe Foss is right about having some tread, and I can see how a 20"
would be easier to control. I don't know, I can't even glide yet, but
those videos got me all psyched about it!

Have you ever had to bail at high speeds?

--
hell-on-wheel - My karma ran over your dogma

On the other hand, you have different fingers. - Steven Wright
hell-on-wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3425

joe
December 10th 03, 07:15 PM
Pleased you like the videos :)

Yeah, the cranks and pedals do make the wheel wobble quite a bit, but
you can correct it. (this only really happens when going REALLY fast)
and yes, I have tried with out them... It is good, a bit faster, but you
cant go back to pedals at the end, so you just have to come off (which
dont look as impressive if you can stay on).

That tyre looks cool! I aint seen it before!

There is no grip on it at all, so gliding would be quite hard! Fun
though - maybe!

It is wet out side now, so I wont get any gliding done, and also our
club has closed for winter (as it was in a school), but I am still
learning to glide, as that can be done in the wet :D

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

johnfoss
December 10th 03, 09:17 PM
hell-on-wheel wrote:
> *Do the pedals/cranks still cause the wheel to want to oscillate or
> wobble? Have you tried gliding without them? *
Not sure what you mean by "still," but the laws of physics have not been
repealed. The longer the cranks and the heavier the pedals, the more
oscillation you will encounter. Taking them off corrects this, but
leaves you walking back up the hill.

> *but maybe Foss is right about having some tread, and I can see how a
> 20" would be easier to control.*
I'd definitely keep some tread. All you have to do is go through a
little dirty spot, like a dried up puddle, and have a bunch of grit
between your shoe and tire. Especially if you've been going for a while
and the tire is hot. The dirt will stick!

> *Have you ever had to bail at high speeds? *
Never faster than running speed. My brain won't let me. I've gone high
speed gliding with Brett, but at the time, he was a brute-force glider,
with a heavy foot. I could get equal speeds on much less slope, so I
wasn't comfortable on the steeper hills he preferred. I like just enough
slope to pick up speed. Too much, and you start to cramp up your
hamstrings. Or maybe I'm just out of shape...:(

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

joe
December 11th 03, 08:55 AM
johnfoss wrote:
> *I like just enough slope to pick up speed. Too much, and you start to
> cramp up your hamstrings. Or maybe I'm just out of shape...:( *

I get cramp in my hamstrings! It is the worst thing ever!

I have glided fast than running speed! It is scary. I usually do FTRSHSG
(faster than running speed high speed gliding), on big hills, preferably
with a grass verge, so i can bail onto it :p I've only bailed twice.

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

eenwieler
December 11th 03, 03:35 PM
my fast glide was 30 km/hour. But it was a small hill. So i couldn't go
faster. And I was also trying to coast when I was going down.

Ferko

--
eenwieler - One wheel is everything I need.

Eenwieler, Einrad, Unicycle, Monocycle. It is just the same!
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home