PDA

View Full Version : bearing sizers unnecessary on KH with Profile bearings

jagur
December 10th 03, 02:26 AM
*FYI*

i just recieved the sizer rings that are to up-size the Profile bearing
to fit the 42mm KH bearing holders but i dont need them.the Profile size
is big enough and the holders have enough tolerance to work great
without them.

you _will_ need the bearing sizers if you use 40mm bearings on a profile
hub with the Production KH frame but you _wont_ need them if you use the
bigger Profile size.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

Frank A.
December 10th 03, 02:35 AM
It's a better fit for me with them. It's close but the bearing holder
surface doesn't make contact throughout the entire circumference of the
1-5/8 bearing, at least on my frame.
Install the bearing by itself, without the axle and see if it touches
at the outer edges, near the cap screws.
- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

evilewan
December 10th 03, 04:42 AM
there are two sizes bearing holders on kh frames.

the splined unis and the first of the nosplines have 42mm bearing
holders. the early nosplines have 40mm bearings and aluminum shims.

the new kh nosplines and the kh freestyle have 40mm bearing holders.

although the frames are pretty much identical in all other respects.

gets confusing dosent it?

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

jagur
December 10th 03, 08:39 AM
Frank A. wrote:
> *It's close but the bearing holder surface doesn't make contact
> throughout the entire circumference of the 1-5/8 bearing, at least on
> my frame.*
i checked that out before commiting to the build up but it is very
close,esspecialy when tightened down.call it a class B fit.

its close enough that im not going to take off my cranks to install them
but in a couple of months when i strip it down for cleaning,i'll use
them.i could install them instantly by slitting them but that would be a
shame.i'll just wait.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

muddycycle
December 11th 03, 12:28 AM
jagur,
The ones I have already have a slit, I'll bring them the next time we
ride.

--
muddycycle - Nonchalance

"What can possiby mystify a madman?"