PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen fuel cell powdered turbo unicycle

Darren
December 11th 03, 04:18 AM
Here is the link...

Bedford Unicycles will have them in stock as soon
as they are available.

http://tinyurl.com/svdu

Another Canadian unicycle eh

Cheers,
Darren

--
Darren
Darren's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3989

toddw9
December 11th 03, 06:44 AM
let me know as soon as you get them in. Maybe by that time I'll have
enough money to afford one! Then again, maybe not.

--
toddw9 - No, I'm not a clown.
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

XWonka
December 11th 03, 05:35 PM
In all fairness, it does have three wheels.

Ahh! Who the hell am i kidding? I still want one! :D

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

XWonka
December 11th 03, 05:55 PM
eenwieler wrote:
> *I guess it is a expensive thing. And it goes just 12 miles a hour.
> That's not more than 20 km a hour. So it is quite slow.
> *

:confused:

> Above 12 miles per hour, the landing gear retracts, letting you
> one-wheel along at highway speeds.

Umm.... Highway speeds aren't too slow...

--
XWonka - I'm divorced

"It is your feeble minded government, not mine, who participated in the
war which has not yet been justified." -Rowan

"Ya, freestyle is better for turing and mainly freestyle stuff. Trials
is way better for hopping..." Super_Evill

"Actually, the Hell on Wheel Gang does not -own- me. Come to think of
it, that's a pretty opressive statement and somewhat outdated in it's
nature."
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957

johnfoss
December 11th 03, 06:23 PM
XWonka wrote:
> *In all fairness, it does have three wheels. *
Not at the speeds I would ride it! :cool:

To be truthful, it would probably be pretty darn scary. What if there
was a sudden 'blip' or other problem with the software or drivetrain? It
would be like riding a Kawasaki Ninja, never knowing if it might
suddenly disintegrate, leaving you skidding down the highway on your
hands and knees...

The Segway I rode felts very secure, and I wasn't worried about it
dropping me. But part of that was the extremely low speeds we were
moving at. It's that "running speed" barrier where unicycles start to
really get dangerous.

But one-wheeled transportation might prove to be very energy-efficient.
After all, there should be less road friction (espeically with a
skinnier tire; that tire would be overkill, though it looks cool). But
any fast-moving one-wheeler should probably have some kind of backup
system to keep it upright if there is a breakdown of the balance
system.

On the Embrio, the training wheel system shown would not be workable to
begin with. Any sudden turn, or even braking, at 10 mph or less would be
enough to knock it over. Unless those wheels splay out when they go
down, that is. It would need something more solid than that.

But I'm all for the idea, and I'm sure it will find a market among
adventurous people. That is, if the technology is ever worked out. It
hasn't been yet.

To balance this 300+ pound beast, with your weight on top, it has to
steer itself. On a unicycle, you aim the wheel by twisting your upper
body. On this thing, you might need some gyros for that. This steering
would be essential in not only changing the direction of travel, but
also in making balance corrections as you move.

Having training wheels eliminates all the more complicated problems of
balancing the cycle when stopped, and going slow. Just keeping it
balanced while moving, and being able to steer it at will need to be
addressed. That shouldn't be too hard.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

eenwieler
December 11th 03, 06:34 PM
than it is great. When is it availeble:p
and what price.
is it a moter or a scooter. Wic age do you need for it. I'am just 16
without a scooter certificate.

Ferko

--
eenwieler - One wheel is everything I need.

Eenwieler, Einrad, Unicycle, Monocycle. It is just the same!
eenwieler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3829

cyberbellum
December 12th 03, 05:14 AM
eenwieler wrote:
> *
> When is it availeble:p
> *

I don't think it will ever be available.

It is possible to make one with today's technologies that would work -if
everything is working perfectly-. The reason why no one will ever sell
one is:

A) There are predictable failure modes that will kill people. In
particular, if the balance control system messes up it will cause a UPD
at freeway speeds. In another thread I computed the speed that the UPD
would occur and found that you would go from just fine to tumbling down
the road in a fraction of a second. No warning - it will high-side and
throw you in the air, then it's just you and a 300 lb cannon ball
bouncing down the road after you. Fun!

B) The balance control system is very complicated and therefore prone to
failure. If the sensors go out of calibration it will UPD. If the
control computer skips a beat it will UPD. If the motor hiccups it will
UPD. If the electrical system hiccups it will UPD. If the brakes engage
too easily it will UPD. If the brakes don't engage easily enough it
will UPD. If the road wiggles too much it may UPD. If there are cracks
in the road it may UPD. It may UPD on ice or wet pavement. And so on.

C) As sailors often say, "You can engineer something to be fool proof,
but you can't engineer something to be damn fool proof." What it
means is that it is impossible to design one of these things so that it
doesn't fail. Skip an oil change and it will kill you. Fail to inflate
the tires properly and it will kill you.

D) Last, but not least, it would be corporate suicide to sell one of
these things. Since the design is inherently unsafe there is no way
that the manufacturer could get liability insurance. Since this design
WILL eventually kill someone the damages in any lawsuit would be
catastrophic.

So it's cool to look at, and I'm sure a few engineers had fun sketching
it out, but there is no way this product is ever going to make it to
market. :(

The best that could be hoped would be that some stunt man rides one in a
James Bond movie for a ton of money. :) :eek: :cool: :D

--
cyberbellum - Level 0.5 rider

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

sockmonster
December 13th 03, 07:40 PM
cyberbellum wrote:
> *
>
> The best that could be hoped would be that some stunt man rides one in
> a James Bond movie for a ton of money. :) :eek: :cool: :D *

Tell me when and were. I'll bring my own body bag.

--
sockmonster - The original Western Maine uni

Note to self- Never hug a vampire
sockmonster's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4286

karl
December 14th 03, 02:14 AM
Darren,

Does the tire on the "hot Rod" come in a 24" size... that is a nice
tire, the uni is great as well.
Good Job!!!

Karl

--