PDA

View Full Version : Light Recommendations

stamkis
October 29th 03, 03:37 AM
I have an older (4-5 years) Nighthawk Dual beam from NiteRider. The battery
broke and I need to either get a new battery costing $160 or so. Or, I
could buy a new set up. The light was okay for road riding, but I wasn't
crazy about it.

I haven't used the light for the past two years, but would like to start
riding at night again.
Being out close to dusk, I've noticed that the newer lights seem to be much
brighter. Often blindingly so, as riders seem to have them pointing
straight rather than angled downward slightly. Do you think this might be a
good time to switch to a brighter light? If so, I've checked out a couple
on MTB Review. The reviews on these three lights looked pretty good.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Light & Motion ARC

Jets Light Dual Beam

Cygolite Z Force HID

Michael Dart
October 29th 03, 04:29 AM
"stamkis" > wrote in message
> I have an older (4-5 years) Nighthawk Dual beam from NiteRider. The
battery
> broke and I need to either get a new battery costing $160 or so. Or, I
> could buy a new set up. The light was okay for road riding, but I wasn't
> crazy about it.
>
> I haven't used the light for the past two years, but would like to start
> riding at night again.
> Being out close to dusk, I've noticed that the newer lights seem to be
much
> brighter. Often blindingly so, as riders seem to have them pointing
> straight rather than angled downward slightly. Do you think this might be
> good time to switch to a brighter light? If so, I've checked out a couple
> on MTB Review. The reviews on these three lights looked pretty good.
> Anyone have any other suggestions?
> Light & Motion ARC
>
> Jets Light Dual Beam
>
> Cygolite Z Force HID

The HID lights are very bright blue-white light. It almost isn't fair to
call it night riding with one. I have the Niterider Storm helmet light and
have been impressed with the amount of light and battery life.

Regarding halogen lights I like a bar and helmet setup. If there are 2
lights on the bar they should be individually adjustable for aim. The
stronger out farther and the weaker in close. If you can only chose one,
the helmet mount allows for looking around where you are going not where the
bike is pointed. The bar mounted allows for better depth perception of
obstacles like logs on the trail and doesn't shine back as much in fog or
snow.

Mike

Per Löwdin
October 29th 03, 08:56 AM
> The reviews on these three lights looked pretty good.
> Anyone have any other suggestions?
> Light & Motion ARC
> Jets Light Dual Beam
> Cygolite Z Force HID

Yes, Niterider Blowtorch is absolutely splendid, we ride through the Swedish
winter with them, light lasts 4 hrs and is so powerful that we ride any
technical singletrack with them without the slightest problem. It is just as
fun as in day light.

If you ride trails you know well handlebar mount is to be recommended as the
light gets closer to the ground and hence brighter, if you ride trails you
don´t know at all helmet mount is better as you can throw the light beam
around easier.

Per
http://www.lowdin.nu/Mtbruntuppsala/English.html

Google