PDA

View Full Version : Full fingure WG possibility

Dirtsurfer
December 13th 03, 09:04 PM
I came across these (http://tinyurl.com/z3tk) on the Fox racing site.
Looking at my Harbinger 110G wrist wraps, it couldn't be hard to sew a
square piece of material to the Fox glove to hold the plastic guard.
Looks like another project in the making.

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

mango
December 14th 03, 01:25 AM
wow those are some crazy looking gloves!

Personally i like open finger gloves so i can still pick my nose.
:rolleyes:

The title of the thread was full fingure. I misread it hastily to read
full figure. I was expecting something....uhh else. -e

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

daino149
December 14th 03, 10:03 AM
mango wrote:
> *
> The title of the thread was full fingure. I misread it hastily to read
> full figure. I was expecting something....uhh else. -e *

Great minds think alike.

--
daino149 - How's it going, Texas?

XWonka: Stick that in your Sig and smoke it.

danger_uni
December 16th 03, 11:29 PM
Dirtsurfer wrote:
> *I came across these (http://tinyurl.com/z3tk) on the Fox racing site.
> Looking at my Harbinger 110G wrist wraps, it couldn't be hard to sew
> a square piece of material to the Fox glove to hold the plastic guard.
> Looks like another project in the making. *

They won't be available for another few months, but below are photos of
prototype KH unicycling gloves that I've been testing for the last
couple of months.

Here are some of the features:

-full fingered, which is definately more protective than Harbingers
albeit a little warmer.

-wrist wrap like Harbingers, but with a padded, flexible "splint" in the
back of the wrap to provide slightly more wrist support. The synthetic
leather also will not bleed color like Harbingers.

-1mm or 2mm Clarino synthetic leather in the wrist wrap and main palm
material. Most bike gloves use 0.8mm leather which is cheaper and less
durable, although the thinner leather provides better feel on handlebars
(which we don't need)

-doubled fabric in the entire length of the fingers. Bike gloves can't
have this because it reduces sensitivity for handlebars, but it makes
these more durable and protects against bruising from pulling up on a
unicycle saddle handle.

-palm pad made of 3mm foam and 2mm synthetic leather. The bottom of the
palm pad may open with velcro (as shown in the picture) to allow
addition of more padding or plastic if the wearer wants to add this.
Although this pad is slightly less protective than Harbingers, it is
MUCH more comfortable.

Hopefully the gloves will be good for all kinds of unicycling including
freestyle, racing, trials and MUni, or anywhere wrist support is needed
without completely sacrificing wrist flexibility.

Cheers,

Kris Holm

| Attachment filename: glove back.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/178667|

danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

danger_uni
December 16th 03, 11:30 PM
More pictures of the gloves

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

danger_uni
December 16th 03, 11:31 PM
danger_uni wrote:
> *More pictures of the gloves *

Oops here it is

| Attachment filename: glove palm.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/178670|

danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

joona
December 16th 03, 11:41 PM
Those seem to be nice gloves. I was just wondering about the
ventilation. How much would it weaken the gloves if the area between
fingers was some kind of thinner material, like in back of those new
roach pads? This would give more air to your fingers, but I really don't
know if they would be less durable.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

I'm controlling the computer with a pen now. :p
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

Eublapharis13
December 16th 03, 11:46 PM
Maybe it's just me but they look really bulky and seem like they would
cook your hands.....If you're gonna design gloves i say put a little
extra padding on the digit right below your fingertip, where you jump
seat out. cause my KH seat is bruising my fingers.
i mean it's a very comfortable seat for rolling hops and riding, but not
for seat out front jumping.

Edit: oh yeah those gloves look like snow gloves.

--
Eublapharis13 - Unicycle destroyer

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their
shoes.
Eublapharis13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4065

U-Turn
December 16th 03, 11:55 PM
Those sound really good, Kris. One problem I have with the Harbingers
is that the palm splint interferes with the Reeder handle. In addition,
the Harbinger's leather is too stretchy and abrades too easily.
Finally, the open-finger design is not that great for winter, often
requiring an overmitt. It sounds as though you may correct those
problems.

However, full-finger designs are also harder to fit (I have long fingers
and large hands). I hope you have an XL size in the works. I also think
that an open-finger model would be better for warm weather. Perhaps you
will have both?

As for palm versus back-of-hand splints: For pavement speed, the
plastic is better, like Joona says, because it slides nicely. I've left
many a track on hard asphalt. For off-road though, back-of-hand is
better because it facilitates saves that involve grabbing things, such
as trees and rocks.

--
U-Turn - Wholly Roller

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

danger_uni
December 17th 03, 12:13 AM
U-Turn wrote:
> *Those sound really good, Kris. One problem I have with the
> Harbingers is that the palm splint interferes with the Reeder handle.
> In addition, the Harbinger's leather is too stretchy and abrades too
> easily. Finally, the open-finger design is not that great for winter,
> often requiring an overmitt. It sounds as though you may correct
> those problems.
>
> However, full-finger designs are also harder to fit (I have long
> fingers and large hands). I hope you have an XL size in the works. I
> also think that an open-finger model would be better for warm weather.
> Perhaps you will have both?
>
> As for palm versus back-of-hand splints: For pavement speed, the
> plastic is better, like Joona says, because it slides nicely. I've
> left many a track on hard asphalt. For off-road though, back-of-hand
> is better because it facilitates saves that involve grabbing things,
> such as trees and rocks. *

If they look bulky, then that's the fault of the photo, not the gloves.
Essentially, these are downhill mountain biking gloves with a wrist
wrap and extra padding/protection in the palm, and fit similarly to any
bike glove.

If you don't mind the ventillation of full-fingered mountain biking
gloves, then these will be fine too. The fabric between the fingers
needs to be durable because it gets a lot of abrasion at the finger
tips, but the back can be more ventilated.

I know I won't please everyone with the plastic/no plastic debate in the
palm, and also whether it's better to have complete wrist support and no
flexibility in the wrists, or increased flexibility/comfort with less
support.

However, the wrist wraps are designed to provide a good compromise of
support plus comfort. Those people who want 100% rigid splints already
have dozens of different wrist guards to choose from.

For palm padding, my experience is that with rare exceptions, most
unicycle falls, including those on a Coker, usually involve some sort of
hand plant without much sliding. Padding is definately more
comfortable than plastic for holding the front handle or a Reeder
Handle, and unlike a plastic splint these gloves would also be
comfortable enough to use during freestyle practice. If you really
want plastic, then the palm pad can be opened up via velcro for custom
addition of plastic (although it would be inside the leather patch so
would provide protection but not decreased friction).

Kris.

--
danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

danger_uni
December 17th 03, 01:50 AM
Here's a picture showing the wrist wrap.

| Attachment filename: glove with strap small.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/178706|

danger_uni - Kris Holm
danger_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/21

Dirtsurfer
December 17th 03, 04:12 AM
danger_uni wrote:
> *
>
> They won't be available for another few months, but below are photos
> of prototype KH unicycling gloves that I've been testing for the last
> couple of months.
> *

I just got an email from Fox, they are on the way
and will be in my hands on Friday. My goal here is to find something
heavy and warm for the winter, all year rider. My finger tips have been
freezing up. I, too, have left short trails with my Harbingers on
pavement. I have found with their plastic insert, I am able to bend my
finger tips back far enough to slide on the plastic without damaging
anything else. I plan to incorperate the plastic to the Fox glove.
When will your gloves be available? With your clothing line? I look
forward to it...

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

john_childs
December 17th 03, 04:56 AM
You can slide on the leather palms of a glove. I've done it. You don't
need a plastic splint over the palm to allow a glove to slide on
pavement.

But if you want plastic on your palm, Rollerblade makes a 'palm slider
pad' (http://www.rollerblade.com/skategear/evogear.html) that you can
wear over your gloves.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

zach_jucha
December 17th 03, 05:24 AM
I couldn't wait for the KH gloves so I got a pair of Harbinger 110Gs and
Fox Incline gloves. I find the combination works well. However, both the
KH wristguards and the ones on that site look nice.

| Attachment filename: hand.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/178743|

zach_jucha - Unibomber

-Don't ask me why I said it, because I already forgot.-

- Homestar

http://tinyurl.com/xicy

Click it, you know you want to.
zach_jucha's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4072

Dirtsurfer
December 17th 03, 01:22 PM
That would work great if I could purchase a size up of the Harbinger
110Gs. I wear the largest size already and they are a snug fit. I also
couldn't fit a glove over them, already tried. Anything larger would be
a bit cumbersome.

zach_jucha wrote:
> *I couldn't wait for the KH gloves so I got a pair of Harbinger 110Gs
> and Fox Incline gloves. I find the combination works well. However,
> both the KH wristguards and the ones on that site look nice. *

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

Dirtsurfer
December 17th 03, 01:31 PM
Another factor I look at is 200 pounds traveling 10 to 12 MPH at a ride
height of 7 feet. The plastic splint also helps absorb some of the
impact and spreads it out over an area.

--
Dirtsurfer - Singlewheel/Singletrack

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Gandalf the gray
Dirtsurfer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2352

muniracer
December 18th 03, 06:51 AM
they look great kris! a couple questions: will they come in plenty of
sizes and colors? i am wearing some fox full fingered gloves presently
and i still get blisters when doing seat out on my miyata seat. my
gloves look to have the same amount of padding in the fingers as zach
jucha's new gloves. will there be a noticable difference in your
gloves? its kind of a hard question to answer but a general idea based
on your testing of the product would be nice. thanks.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns XWonka!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home